Author Topic: Weighing Pull Ups  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Ettaee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Weighing Pull Ups
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
I did my first pull up back in May (woohoo!)  Now I put on a little weight and I can't do them anymore (at least I think that's the reason).  I was a healthy weight then, and I'm a healthy weight now.  I hate the pressure society puts on women to be skinny.  I don't want to lose weight because society thinks I should be skinnier.  If I have the opportunity to be a role model of an athletic woman, I'd like to show that you don't have to be skinny to be athletic or healthy.

But, I'm so frustrated.  I've wanted to do pull ups my whole life.  Is it really just a function of being skinny (at least for women)?  Any medium to heavy women out there who can do them?

What do you think is more important?  Being able to do one of the things I've always wanted to do, or standing up against the pure insanity of a society that tries to squeeze women tighter and tighter?  It feels like I have to choose between myself and the good of the world, but maybe I'm missing something.  Perhaps there is another reason to lose weight or not lose weight.  Or perhaps nobody actually notices my weight anyway (I dress modestly), and it makes no difference to anyone but me...

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing Pull Ups
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:52 AM »
What do you think is more important?  Being able to do one of the things I've always wanted to do, or standing up against the pure insanity of a society that tries to squeeze women tighter and tighter?  It feels like I have to choose between myself and the good of the world, but maybe I'm missing something.  Perhaps there is another reason to lose weight or not lose weight.  Or perhaps nobody actually notices my weight anyway (I dress modestly), and it makes no difference to anyone but me...

So you would sacrifice a thing that you always wanted to do for an imaginary stand against society? Also, you don't need to lose weight to be able to do pull ups again. You just have to become stronger. And I never understood the whole "Society expects me to..." thought. Especially when put to how you look. First-you shouldn't care and second-most people don't care adbout random strangers they saw on the street. And if they do, it means they are losers who don't deserve your attention even in the slightest. So the only people who would possibly judge you are the ones around you. And if they are your friends they won't. And if they are not your friends, again you shouldn't care about their opinion. God damn it! We are people who dress like hobos and go outside jumping over stuff. That automatically implies you don't give a single f#ck about what random people think about your looks.

P.S.
And sorry for posting here, I didn't notice it's in this section of the forum :(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:30:32 AM by Alvendam »
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
If you want to do pull ups get stronger or get lighter. Losing weight for pull ups has nothing to do with being oppressed by society or some nonsense like that. If you want to stay the same weight then start doing negative pull ups until you can do normal ones again and maintain that. I'm going to guess you just didn't keep up with the pull ups and that's probably why you lost them.

I'm not a woman but I'm 205 pounds and can do pull ups with 90 more pounds added. How much you weigh is a factor, but it's almost never too much to actually stop you if you get stronger.

Offline littleR

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
Pull-ups are just about strength. I'm a 5'4" female and I weigh about 175 pounds, but you would NOT know that by looking at me. On any given day I can do about 15 pull-ups in a row, which I hope to continue to improve. It's all about mind over matter. Just train for what you want to achieve, if you gain/lose weight then that's just a side effect of reaching your goals.