Author Topic: 5.10 Savant  (Read 23212 times)

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
Re: 5.10 Savant
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 08:05:34 AM »
Well PD has a new pair of shoes :)

they were definitely worn... but i think they could have been milked a bit longer... there was still quite a bit of rubber on the toe... 1/4" or more.

and the only note-worthy wear was at the toe.

so, at least 5 months.

but as mentioned before, it depends how often you train... My Savants show almost Zero wear and i got them in August...
I wear them maybe 2-3 days a week as my "normal" shoes and train infrequently... couple times a month
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:57:52 AM by Jason@FiveTen »
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
Just thought I would weigh in with my opinion as I have different perspective. Got my 5.10 savants, about 3 months ago. No offense but my intial impression was that they were shoes for people who hated feet, stiff, uncomfortable, bizarre under foot feel, tight toe box, nearly impossible to get tight enough over the arch. However I headed up to a really super challening and slightly dangerous training area nearby(a talus feild below a giant cliff) and on whim brought the savants in case my regular shoes couldn't get enough grip cause the weather had been wet, sure enough I was getting no grip on the rocks up there when I got there so I switched out for the savants and was able to have really good training sessions while my training partners were literally having trouble walking from one place to another.

The next weekend I headed to clayton beach my favorite training area and there the Savants really impressed me, I felt like a damn mountain goat, running sideways along rocks flying up rock faces, tic tacing from rock to rock the difference between the savants and any other shoe I had used was enormous.

Still I kinda see the Savants as the idiot savant(didn't even realize the connection till I wrote it) of parkour shoes, sub average in every category except grip but in grip so superior to every thing else available that they are absolutely worth having. My inov-8s are still my normal shoe except on those days when I feel the need for really exceptional grip then I am glad to have the Savants.

A specific parkour shoe with the same rubber on the sole would be great, I would be wanting something way lighter, more flexible sole and less extremely shaped, wider toe box, tighter arch, and a better system for snugging in the heel. 

I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »
thanks for the honesty...

we are aware of the issues you mention... just bare in mind the Savant is not purpose built.
Some people love the shoe, they find it losens up with a bit of use, add gell insoles and it's great... some people, well... not so much.
but one thing that will never be in doubt... we know Grip.
The savant is not perfect for PK, but like you said "the grip so superior to every thing else available that they are absolutely worth having."

We've got a lot of feedback on the Savants, Guide Tennies, Insights, Prodigys and our older Access with regards to PK and while we definitely like hearing about peoples first reaction to stealth rubber(just so you know, it's never negative :) ) we do also appreciate the constructive criticism.

thanks.

Offline Warpigs330

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 02:09:58 PM »
I have had my savants for enough time to train in them about twice. the first day I trained for about 3.5 hours and was pretty happy with them. I agree that the sole could be thinner and more flexible but the grip is exceptional, but not on all surfaces. I found that surfaces that were painted or otherwise smooth had worse grip than normal shoes. I was also not impressed with the durability of the rubber, after one session I noticed wear on the toes. it is probably just the newness of the shoe but they gave me slight blisters on the bony part of the heel. the shock absorption is also not very good, but that forces your form to be much better which can be a good thing. besides the smooth surface grip issues the grip is absolutely amazing. there is a wall that is probably around 8-9 feet tall and with my old shoes I could get to the top fast but I couldn't get over the wall with much speed. with the savants I was able to get all the way over the wall without touching the top with my feet, much like a two-footed pop vault. I think these shoes are great for some things, but as jason said, they aren't purpose built. another problem I forsee using stealth is that you might become too dependent on it. this wouldn't be a problem if you always used shoes with stealth and is obviously no fault on the shoe's part. this "review" might sound negative but it is really only to offset all the shining praise they have gotten so far. I would recommend these shoes to others but I also think that a purpose built parkour shoe would probably be preferable to the savant, but by the same token, a purpose built parkour shoe would probably be better than anything that is available right now. the grip really does offset any other factors though. I think that a shoe using stealth rubber but with more of a running shoe as opposed to a approach shoe style and form would be the best thing right now.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2007, 07:58:54 PM »
Glad you appreciated the critiscm Jason I defineatly was hoping it would be constructive, I like the way you guys have gotten involved with the community and really look forward to seeing what you guys come up with for us in the future.

I agree with warpigs more like a running shoe but not like fat healed running shoe, more of stripped down low profile trail runner type. A flexible sole helps with grip too, and I like being able to have certain level of feel for the ground and in the natural enviroments the realy high of the ground over cushioned and overly wide standard running shoes just slip around on my foot way to much and leave me susceptible to ankle sprains.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
points taken. ;)

if you have any other suggestions, feel free to email me.

Offline mmuir

• Patas
  • Parkour, it's not a sport, but it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »
ok well i trian for 2 hours a day...yes i know its a lot, normally its a 2mile walk to the school, vault the rails,benches, run the walls, the norm. That or the like quater mile walk to this amazing brick wall about 600-800 feet long anywhere from 4 to 13 feet tall, which i go to everyday if not the school.  I have worn my Puma cells out, toes are almost gone, heels didnt have squat, and it was like only inch MAX to begin with. so i am looking foward to getting Savants, but im only 14 so im still growing rapidly, and my only concern is throwing 90 or 100 dollars away in 2-3 months because i grow out of them...i really think im gonna get them though because i can come up with over 150 in 2 months..so i should be becoming a 5.10 customer soon...any ideas where to buy besides online? like there is a Backpacker store here...with climbing equiptment and kayaks...the whole 9 yards...maybe 10...(haha)  But you can  buy all the stuff to put in the rocks for lead belaying and everything, so i might check up there to see if i can find some there...but thats.
First we crawl,
Once we can crawl, We Walk.
Once we can walk, We Run.
Once we Run, We Flow.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
worst case the store can order them for you if they carry other 5.10 shoes. no tmany retailers carry savants... the guide tennie would be easier to find in a retailer.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 10:50:24 PM »
Just had to post again on these cause I freaking hate these shoes! I hate them because I love the grip so much argh! Today it had rained really hard in the morning and I had a relatively high wall pass I wanted to practice on which has grass underneath it, so I decided to give these guys another go. I put them on and almost took them of right away again because the just don't feel good on my feet and feel so weird under foot. Jogged to the spot and my feet started hurting almost right away on the top of the foot and in the big toe cause of the severe slope in the forefoot(what is up with that anyway?) But then I got to the wall, running on top of completely soaked mud hit the wall and flew up like its the dryest day in the world, turn vault drop down turned around look at the wall. Holy crap I could see the imprint of my sole on the wall and every lug on the forefoot had left a perfectly clear impression without the slightest evidence of slipping! I looked at the sole later it was literally dripping water but when it hit the wall(which was dry) it stuck like no other shoe I have used would stick even on a dry day. I had brought my regular shoes out(merrel water pro trail) and was able to get the wall in them too but the looking at the mark on the wall my foot slipped at least three inches when I pushed off also I had never noticed before how much sticky shoes can help with toping out either it is so much easier when you can basically just continue running up the wall cause your feet are sticking to it.

I really hope the design on the 5.10 free running shoe comes out as a better overall shoe cause if the rest of the shoe comes close to living up the rubber your looking at a damn near perfect shoe.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:16:55 AM by Faelcind »

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »
Maybe you guys should team up with another company that knows how to make good shoes.  You provide the excellent grip and they provide the rest of the shoe so as not to make it crappy.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
don't know if you meant that as an insult...

anyway... most companies that mass produce shoes in large quantities can not accept the higher costs of stealth... which is why other shoe companies are not able to produce it.

we do license it and have, most recently to Marzocchi for an MTB shoe.

but I assure you, we know how to make shoes.

the Savant was never intended for PK, so, yes it will have flaws... but the pluses seem to outweigh the negatives in most peoples opinion
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:11:57 PM by Jason@FiveTen »

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
Whats the major feed back on the guides?  Anyone?  I don't like the Idea of a rocker sole.  I have the Feuyies they are think soled which is plenty reason to learn toe heal toe running with out a rocker.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 09:44:15 PM »
they are pretty much flat, they have FAR less cushion than the Savant, they are all leather and super durable, plus they use Stealth C4 in a different pattern so not only is it a higher friction rubber compound than the Savant but better surface contact... they would excel at tic tacs, cats and wall runs... but proper technique is going to be essential in landings.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »
Now if i wanted to buy them right from 5.10 how would this done if at all?
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2007, 09:47:25 AM »
Well jason I haven't really heard anybody say much good about them besides the grip.  I just don't feel the need to sacrifice so much in a shoe for grip.  Although the grip is really really cool.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2007, 12:25:56 PM »
Jason, is the FR purpose-built shoe going to have a lot or a little cushioning?  Personally, i would think the less amount of cushioning the better, so I'd like to know what your plans are in that regard.

And now that I know the Savant has so much cushioning, I'm reconsidering...  How is the Marvel in terms of cushioning (since that's another option, as you said it'll be released around the time I'll be buying new shoes).
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »
Jason, is the FR purpose-built shoe going to have a lot or a little cushioning?  Personally, i would think the less amount of cushioning the better, so I'd like to know what your plans are in that regard.

And now that I know the Savant has so much cushioning, I'm reconsidering...  How is the Marvel in terms of cushioning (since that's another option, as you said it'll be released around the time I'll be buying new shoes).

dude.. I just bought the Savants (5.10 shoes made mostly for PK), and they are great. Most of the front edge is made with C4 stealth rubber (the kind that has REALLY good grip, and I'm understating).. However, from the middle to the heel of the foot is all S1 stealth (which is made for cushioning and such).

So basically, if you're using your toes you'll have great traction, whether it's on the ground or up a wall... and if you're jumping down or anything like that, then you'll be able to land with a good amount of cushioning. I think that 5.10 did a VERY good job with these shoes. The only thing that I would change about the soles is that I would put the C4 rubber on the outside front, so that it would be grade A traction during Tic Tacs, but I haven't tried tic tacs with these shoes yet anyways, so they might be perfect the way they are.

I'll let you all know as soon as I get out and about (when I'm not sick, and when it's not raining).
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »
thanks for the kind words...

It has definitely been noted about the placement of the C4.

as mentioned we didn't originally intend the Savant for PK, it just works really well.

Offline mmuir

• Patas
  • Parkour, it's not a sport, but it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2007, 02:11:38 PM »
ok these shoes look amazing...i want some...and i have the cash....just it looks like they have a drawstring instead of like normal laces for a shoe... is this true or just the angle?
First we crawl,
Once we can crawl, We Walk.
Once we can walk, We Run.
Once we Run, We Flow.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2007, 10:45:41 PM »
they're regular laces...

by the way (after having these shoes for over 7 months, they've finally died... It was depressing, but I moved on (trying out the Merrell Chameleon Stretches), but I must say that the Savants are great, the fit was great and the grip was CRAZY-good. The only problem I had was that you can't wear the Savants indoors, unless you REALLY like mopping the floors, cause they streak a lot.

On another note, the Merrells have horrible grip (so far) compared to the Savants, but I still need to get the feel on these shoes, it might just be me.
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...