Author Topic: 5.10 Savant  (Read 23467 times)

Offline Warpigs330

• Guenons
    • View Profile
5.10 Savant
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:53:33 AM »
Has anyone tried out the 5.10 savant? it is supposedly a "freerunning shoe" and in the advertisement on their website it mentions tic-tacs and cat grabs. I would link to the product but the url for 5.10's site is always five-ten.com I can't imagine they are fantastic for parkour or I would have heard of them.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: 5.10 Savant
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
Has anyone tried out the 5.10 savant? it is supposedly a "freerunning shoe" and in the advertisement on their website it mentions tic-tacs and cat grabs. I would link to the product but the url for 5.10's site is always five-ten.com I can't imagine they are fantastic for parkour or I would have heard of them.

It's a new product and 5.10 aren't exactly a really well-known company outside of rock climbing, so hearing about it would be really difficult.  Levi (SkyNative) and two other traceurs/freerunners here represent the shoe and 5.10.  I'm sure that they'll say something (though I'd take it with a grain of salt due to their affiliation with the company in question).
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:21:48 PM »

Here's the deal.

1st,
Thank you for your interest, We are VERY proud of the response our shoes have been given and the reviews we have gotten on our existing products... Five Ten has been around for over 20 years but watching new people discover Stealth Rubber never gets old!

next, We are currently working on a new version of our site that would support direct product links, for now you have to click the freerunning tab or athletes, then any one of the Freerunner bios (color coded purple), sorry about that.

The Savant is an interesting Shoe, I need to be clear that it WAS NOT designed as a parkour shoe. It was designed as a light trail runner using synthetic materials to create a shoe so well ventilated that stepping in a stream would not slow you down as they would drain quickly and dry out... this had the interesting side effect of making them light and allows for them to not heat up.

They, as all of our shoes do, feature Stealth Rubber. I could write a log rant extolling the virtues of Stealth, but I work for Five Ten and you'd probably think i was just spewing PR tag lines and marketing hype... So What i suggest is you google 'Stealth rubber' and read what others not affiliated with Five Ten say... i will say there is no rubber on earth that compares to stealth for grip and durability, there is a reason 95% of rock climbers resole with stealth.

So, the Savant is not a purpose built Parkour shoe... neither is the Guide(also listed in our 'Freerunning' category) they ended up there for very different reasons... When talking to Freerunners about what they look for in a shoe the list was varied. and as such for the time being we have focused on these two shoes as each excels in certain areas:

Savant: Light, the sole is our S1 shock absorbing stealth compound, the tread is knobbier than the guide, this gives great traction on varying terrain, it also has a 'rocker'... the sole is curved using plates in the shoe that make the foot roll through its stride... making it better for actual running than the Guide.

Guide: Durable, Leather construction, Less cushioning than the Savant and a predominantly flat sole featuring our 'Dotty Tread', creating more surface area contact. this shoe uses our C4 stealth rubber compound that was originally designed for (and has become a staple in) Climbing and as a result is AMAZING for wall running, tic-tacs and Cats... but will not be as comfortable for large drops and flat out running... BUT do to the design of the sole... it is resole-able... no more wearing out the sole and throwing the shoe away... just resole!

basically if you actually run and mix in some parkour the Savant is probably a better choice. if you walk or jog from location to location and work on techniques for a bit before moving on then the guide is probably better.

as stated we have a few Freerunners/traceurs on the roster...

PD has tried both shoes.
Skynative, Frosti and deeAnn have only tried the Savants... Guides should be to them shortly :)

try hitting them up for feedback, there are a few other people around that have tried these shoes and are not affiliated with Five Ten...
NoSole from sfparkour wrote a nice review of the guide: http://www.sfparkour.com/pkforum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=981

you could also try pkcali.com a couple of the guys there have tried the guides and savants.

wow, that post was much longer than i thought it would be... feel free to contact me directly and i can probably help you out as far as needs vs. features go, we do have other shoes that may suit your particular needs better, but we figured it would be better to focus on what works and doesn't work with a limited number of shoes... obviously Freerunning is a new area for any shoe company.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:35:23 AM by Jason@FiveTen »
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline RunCincy

• Mangabey
  • maybe rolling is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
Jason is on the money. Stealth Rubber is the shit, I have a few pairs of 5.10s, merrells and some other brands that use stealth. It's just so much grip, but its squeaky as hell when wet.
you betcha on muh horse

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:46:19 AM »
There half a dozen or so traceurs in washington who have tried out the 5.10 insight which is similar but heavier to the savant, all have absolutely raved about the grip nothing else compares apparently.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:49 AM »
The insight and and savant are 'cousins' they share the same sole and look similar. but I'd say the savant is about half the weight. The insight is a great shoe(i'm wearing a pair right now as a matter of fact) and now that it has gotten colder, I find I wear them more than the savant when i workout/train...

I know the comment was old, but i wanted to also correct the earlier post, Merrel has never used stealth rubber. They do use a "sticky rubber" but as i mentioned nothing compares to stealth... just wanted to be clear.

Let me know if any of you pick up our shoes... and what you think, we are looking to include customer feedback in our new site and just generally appreciate hearing from our customers.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »
I've had a pair of savants for about a month. Overall they are a good shoe, my only complaint is that they are too rigid. Its hard to feel surfaces in the same way regular trainers do. This is important for rail balance.

i give it a 9/10

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
Five seveN is a gun ....just thought id throw that out there
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
I am getting the guides after my next pay check.  Jason if they don't fit right what can I do?
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 07:43:16 AM »
call customer service :)

actually our customer service is very accommodating for such issues

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 08:11:11 AM »
^--- this fine getleman practice parkour? its always nice to have an "inside man"

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:03:13 AM »
"practice" is the key word.

being older (31) and having experienced my fair share of injuries has left me a bit out of prime shape for PK... but i certainly have caught the bug and give it my best effort... although kongs still scare the crap out of me... I have PD's word that next time he's out at the office he'll help me out in that regard

:)

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:17:35 AM »
haha, thats the spirit

you gotta grab fear by the horns and stomp it into the ground...thats what i always say

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
you gotta grab fear by the horns and stomp it into the ground...

Why do you think i started Rock Climbing in the first place?

i WAS deathly afraid of heights. :D

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
you gotta grab fear by the horns and stomp it into the ground...thats what i always say

It just sucks when fear makes you trip over a curb and hit your face.  :'(

I'm in the market for some new kicks anyway. looks like im gunna give these a try.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »

It just sucks when fear makes you trip over a curb and hit your face.  :'(

I'm in the market for some new kicks anyway. looks like im gunna give these a try.

thank you...

and yeah... the Kong thing... the idea of pulling a David Bell and having a hand slip, or worse clipping my feet on the wall is not very comforting... i need to find a gym to practice.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »
Question:

Does the Savant no flex?  Is it the same as say...Merrels?
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »
M2 is probably the best person to ask for a comparison... i know he has tried both

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
Jason, you can go back and tell 5.10 that this sponsorship advertisement thing is working, cause I'll be buying a pair in about three months (when I can afford to spend money on something that isn't bills and groceries).
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
lol... it's really just word of mouth.

but yeah, we've noticed it... that is for sure.