Author Topic: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)  (Read 38195 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
2011.10.16 SUNDAY JAM AT KANEOHE

Only stayed for about an hour cause Wendi needed the car. Warmed up on my own. 
Spotted rail walk 
Worked some rail balance with backpack
Cats to CMU wall...grab the holes
Wall runs
Really want to train on my own
CRAVING inspired creative movement. I want to hear what my body has to tell me. 

STRETCH
At home
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
2011.10.17 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
Capoera jinga
Kind of cart wheel
Kind if safety vault drill with leg extended (block) X20
Combos of above with flow
From horse to on toes with feet together, back x20

CONDITIONING/MOVEMENT
10x bounce off from step
10x bounce off from standing...variations
Running take off to two foot tac off col landing w/ turn
20x worm to cat

STRETCH

NOTES
I had a great time. Absolutely love this. Really got the tac with two feet. Started and couldn't do it. Until I was doing it to 90deg turn with no hands, then nailed the 180 on right side. Other side isnt far behind. This Kind of stoke should happen more often. But then I should challenge myself more. 

Rails still freak me out for certain moves...monkey stalls, backwards safety vault. But drops and other fun stuff doesn't bother me. Maybe build confidence in breaking jumps this way, precisions, work more bounce type drills and progress that way. Work rails for balance, master monkey vault, dash vault and then work the rails to confidence. Core and flexibility have a long way to go. That will help as well. 

GOALS
ok it's goal time. Watched the monkey is back again and got something else out of it. I need weekly goals. Like the pushup challenge. Or 1000x whatevers. Since I have class and not much extra time, 500 is a better number until I have time to train alone. I don't have any ideas at the moment other than develop drill for vid
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »
2011.10.19 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
Run up steps fwd, dn bkwd
Shuffle sideways up and dn
Same with touchdown
precisions on steps
5 pushups or squats if one person doesn't stick it...did about 10 sets of ea
forgot to mention last time we did those pushups where you go back to bended knees

MOVEMENT
Precision from low wall to sidewalk and up onto bench (the bus bench kine)
Back
Vault over bench, step step precision on wall
Rail precisions on bench arms
Kongs on low wall
Back and forth vault drill along wall lime at rails

STRETCH

NOTES
class was focused on technique. Made some progress on my kongs. They are had to land on that tiny wall but it's all core. I can get straight that way. Rail precisions felt good. Its totslly mental, but stillmy nemisis. Precisions are feeling good but I need to trust my distance and my ups. I got it. Work some bounce off drills to practice this. 

Worked the tic tac off column to 180, that was fun. Pops are feeling pretty good but I want to train them. I'm itching to do some vaults to drops. And maybe some turn vaults and work some flow. I could go for some climb up work too. Core is pretty sore from Monday cat work but it feels good. 

GOALS
goal setting is settling in my mind. And I'm tempted to set Pk goals...one idea I really want to pursue is making precision trainers...but my goal setting will be limited to exams at the moment. I'm getting excited about that. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
2011.10.24 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
Basic warmup for a run

MOVEMENT
Flow around park, escalating level after the first one or two. Run, Pk movement with QMs fwd and bkwd on steps and along walls, some up and down movement on walls but mostly creative movement along a path
Did about half a dozen rounds
45 minutes or so

STRETCH
longish yoga session

TIME
1.5 hr this time. Normally class is 2hrs b/c Ozzi rocks ;)

NOTES
Nice flow session. Mostly simple moves once we got tired. No big drops like last time. Most bigger drops were cat negatives. QMs were a nice break. Hard, but I was able to push thru and explode to a sprint if I wanted to. Nice even rest movement. Jumps got my core worn out and the pops got sloppy after a while. 

Got saucony shoes at a sweet deal. A bit small. But wanted some halfway decent shoes to give my frees a break. Haven't worn the vibrams In a while but wanted them on Kauai. Did some vague movement on the rocks at secret beach but was mostly exploring and looking for opportunities in case we end up there. I also want shoes for hikes to beaches. Remoteness is calling more and more for play shoes. And hikes want some play shoes too. I am not interested in hiking shoes anymore. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »
2011.10.26 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP
run

CONDITIONING
QMs on conc in front of shave ice around columns
•fwd and bkwd
•side
•tall straight leg w/ feet together
•Kongs fwd and bkwd
•low crouch side
•plank QMs
•croc walk w/ 10 pushups 
•from pike walk 1,2,3 fwd and leap feet fwd straight legged with feet flat

MOVEMENT
cat to wall at bathroom, traverse ledge, precision gap, traverse, precision gap, traverse, etc

STRETCH

TIME 
2hrs as usual

NOTES
Conditioning is tough as usual but feels great. Endurance, flexibility and strength is improving. Explosive strength is slowly improving. Hip flexor flexibility is better than ever. Two step wall run on column is right there. Want to try this to a cat. General movement and explosive moves are getting better. Flow is way better. Mind is quieter. 

Pop vault is slowly geting better and i can get the kip if i really push it but not in these shoes. Tried my NB for the first time since I got my vibrams. They are so heavy and clunky. gaps are getting easier. I surprise myself with the distance. Mostly mental. But when I reached for the ledge with my hands rather than feet on wall/ledge first i missed a couple times. 

GOALS
None to speak of but I am getting better ideas of realistic goal making. Focus is on goals other than pk and keep working hard at class
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
2011.10.31 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
sand QMs and such...buttrolls,...QM kine one leg mountain climbers

CONDITIONING
3x10 jump to waist hang dip 
5x5 from waist hang, Kip to mount, neg dip
Last set was 10 instead of 5
10x Monkey up, monkey dn (like kong parallel to wall) along wall...3 per run
6x same but start with box jump/no hands...this got dicey for me when my feet were dragging half way thru 
Safety vault dismount off high wall. Drilled it to split ft landing also

MOVEMENT
Flow involving big and low walls: pop, dismount, monkey up and dn
Chase

STRETCH

NOTES
Did some pops and 2ft wall runs before class again. Love those. Am getting fast at warming up for stuff like that. Run a bit from the bus, some quick jount and muscle moves and im ready to go. Hard warmup on quads in the sand. Kips are there easily with momentum but super hard from the dip...more like one ft at a time...not really a core workout; more arms. Damn you auto correct. Kips, not lips.
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
2011.11.02 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP
sand run to end of white walls
Run bkwd
Shuffle sideways
Other side
QM fwd
Bkwds run
Fwd run

CONDITIONING
5 sets of Circuit training at 3 stations for time. Time was about 5x broad jumps up and dn
•broad jumps up giant white steps, dn
•jumping dips, about 20 per. 
•QM dn and up stairs, 4-5 reps

MOVEMENT
Kongs on med wall
Kong dismount from high to low 
Two handed vault like a cross btw speed and kong
Kong on low wall to grass...rained so it was slippery...gotta clear the wall
Kong dismount from low wall

Flow with all. 6 rounds

STRETCH

NOTES
Tough session again. Tiny bit harder than Monday. Mental toughness is ever better. Rained super hard. Mmmm. Could have done more. Feeling strong. But so much farther to go. Still steady at 168. Could drop at least 10 lb. Maybe more. Strides and pacing is solid. No stutter stepping. I don't plan techniques much but it backfired and tweaked my big toe. Should have been a crane or a pop and was something else. 

Pops get me there but I need to work on them in flow. Hard to keep momentum once I get to the mount. Working on one two landing and it's working well for my flow. Kongs are super versatile. Learning to apply them. Better for ht than I thought. Have been slipping on training both sides for techniques, but we haven't really been training reps that much. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2011, 03:55:35 AM »
Great job so far!

Keep it up, man.

Posted to follow.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
2011.11.04 FRIDAY FOAM ROLLING CLASS AT S&MC

Yoga ball under ball of foot left, step and press. Move right, then down, then Left until you cover the whole foot

Calf stretch on bigger ball. Other foot almost next to ball on foot. Genie arms, fwd partial bend. Full bend. Bend other knee and straighten, same with hip dip

Shake out feet

Sit on floor, roll ankles on foam roller. Up and down, then Back and forth. 

Move up to lower calf. Same. One foot over the other for more pressure. Lift up on hands for even more. 

Move up to meat of calf. Same

Move just below knee. Same

Hamstrings rolling up and dn. Tilt back and forth. Lift one leg for more pressure. Roll a bit to get closer to IT band

IT band. Left leg. Right foot crossed in front, left hand back for support. Lift both to control pressure. Both hand on the floor and roll. Lift both legs for a lot of pressure

Switch legs

Sit on roller, feet on floor. Left foot on right knee for right glut. 

Move foot close to hip and hug knee and deep roll glut

Switch gluts

Roller under sacram. Wave legs in the air like crazy. Knees up, legs at 90 deg, both legs to right, shoulders on floor. Roller gets side of hip...TFL

Switch sides

Roll quads up and dn. Bend knees up toward butt. Bend knees and windshield wiper to get sides of quads

Roll all of back from sit bones to base of neck

Big ball all over back

Arm pit on roller. Lie on it with arms behind head for limphnode

Arm pit over roller and fold chest to floor, open chest to clg to get pec and scapula

Sit on end of roller and lay back so it's on spine. Roll side to side. Can bend arms to 90 and get under scapula

Roller under base of skull at occiput. Shake your head no

Savasana

TIME 
1hr

NOTES
drink tons of water after. Seemed super quick. Tons of knots in places I never knew about. I need a lot more attention in my gluts, calves, IT band, ...
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
2011.11.06 SUNDAY SESSION AT HEEIA NEIGHBORHOOD PARK
trained with Ed

WARMUP
Joints, muscle warmup, bouncing, run around field

CONDITIONING
QMs up and dn bleachers, QM to grass 20 pushups
next set on bleachers, QM bksd to grass, 30 squats
Next set, QM side, Pk pushups...taught technique...various
Other side, 20 squats, 10 jump squats

MOVEMENT
Flow/creativity on low bench, picnic table, low bench
Monkey stalls on low bench...technique, landings
Monkey stalls on picnic table...technique...added some QMs on top, a bit of kong progressions
Palm spins
Drill tic tacs on tree to  dirt spot target...decent distance
Flow on picnic table, picnic table, tic tac on tree

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hr

NOTES
Fairly light workout with flow and technique. Strained my lower back. Wasn't anything in particular I did. Maybe tic tacs. But mon and wed workouts were pretty hard on it so I think it's just an accumulation of things. And probably my abs need more dedicated work. Tic tacs felt really good. Aim is good, distance is farther, turn is there, sticking landings. 

Strides are feeling really good and help keep control and an even keel. Same with run up distance and footing for working drills. Flow felt good, analysis of movement was productive, creativity session developed nicely. Didn't plan it, just scouted areas and winged it. Started training with Ed a year ago. It's interesting to see how far I've come...strength, flexibility, endurance, grace. There are some good cat opportunities but ran out of time
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
2011.11.10 THURSDAY INJURY UPDATE

Pulled my quadratus lomborum. Right side again. Wasnt any one move. wear and tear over a week of noticeable soreness. 

Got a massage from Wendi on Sunday, about an hour and a half. Stretched and iced. 

Took the day off Monday. Didnt leave the house either day. Couldnt stand up for very long. Couldnt do the dishes in one go. Plan to do a light session on the weekend of crawling. Restorative Pk. Knew atthis point I wouldn't be able for wed class. 

Tuesday could walk mostly erect but had to stretch front of body to straighten out, and back to be able to move. Its a lot of work to keep core tight and supported. Sore, but was able to walk home. Didn't ice and regretted it. 

Wed walked to work with a gal of water and made it fine. Walked to lunch and was able to get around. Less stiff but still just as sore. Iced and stretched. Could touch my toes by end of day. Seems like this injury, perhaps a recurring one at this point, will take at least a week to recover...to the point where i can back to training. Maybe a month to 95%. Upper back takes a lot of strain. 

Feiyues arrived. They are big. Tried some minimal bouncing. 

Thursday and could touch my toes in the morning. Feel like I want to try jogging and bouncing. Core needs work. Warmed up pretty well on sat. Could have warmed up the muscles and body more. Maybe I should have switched the legs on the tic tac or do e fewer flow reps. Didn't do that many. Need to keep core engaged. Learn to breathe into upper chest with navel to spine while jumping...feels like a lot of coordination without even focusing on movement technique.

That's it for now. I feel like I know how to manage it at this point. Hopefully will get better at training to strengthen it and prevent future injury. Probably a myofascial injury rather than a muscle injury. I remember when it started to hurt I sat in lotus position and bent fwd. I felt something give, like tissue or fabric. Not like a nice kind of pop. 

Flexibility is everything. and form. And breath. I have been under hydrating too. 

Didn't do any workouts. Not much I can do but I know I can do something. Lazy I guess. Have been working on other important stuff. But neglecting ARE as well. Still need structure to make progress. The road to self mastery is not short. there is a balance between enjoying your time and being productive for production's sake. I have not struck that balance. Been eating like crap too. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
2011.11.14 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
Mellow sand jog, agility, some butt rolls, bkwd turns, shuffle, etc

CONDITIONING
Bkwd QM half up steps, side QM halfway (pole), hollowbody and 50 side to side thingy...or 60, 10 or 20 windshield wipers with legs
QM Same other side, hollowbody In and out
Pk pushup variations, about 10 of each
•elbows dn
•dndog to bent elbows and back
•Pk pushup from dndog to low plank WITHOUT elbows dn (hard!)
•others I'm sure...

MOVEMENT
Precisions at St wall to curb
20 or 30 good ones

STERTCH

TIME
1.5 hr

NOTES
QL isn't healed yet but it was a pretty mellow class. I'm feeling it now tho. Didn't do much asymmetrical movement so it wasn't too bad. Got the higher curb precision no problem. Others were doing the bridge. 8 feet. Curb is 7. Distance is better so I should be trying the bridge soon. Last time I didn't even have the distance at ground level. Some of those guys have the bridge no problem. I want to work reps at 70% and really have the ht and curve.

First time with the Feiyue's. It was funny. Waiting for class to start and Ozzi, Neil, Isaac and I were all there by ourselves with the same shoes. Mine are definitely too big as far as perfect fit is concerned. Shoes are fine. Good for precisions. Kinda clunky on the run...they are long so theyre a bit like clown shoes. Feels like barefoot for walking and running. Grip sucks on walls and I hear they are super slippery. Good for stealth work tho. 

Ozzi said something about training with people. Made me realize the mix is good. You can't always train alone like I think about. Need people to push you and give you ideas. Teaching is a great way to learn. You can't plan too much. But you can commit to move and let what is about to happen unfold in front of you. I needed to recover but a week without moving did me no good
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »
2011.11.16 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
sand. Hard. Did probably 200 mountain climbers (I did maybe a quarter of them since my back was feeling it), a bunch of horse stance stuff and plank stuff, everything. About an hour

MOVEMENT
Lava precisions over tables with cat to column, cat traverse column

STRETCH

NOTES
Took it easy on the vaults. Back is not as strong as I want it to be. Been a week and a half. First day it didnt hurt but I had a twinge a time or two. Feeling limber again and back to normal flexibility wise. Can touch my toes again.  Warmup was tough. Most people said it was a 9/10. Lots of burning. 

My vaults were very squinched...I need to ease back into this. It's hard to remember to keep my core tight for this...the very thing that is hurting my back. But the cats felt good. Foam rolled last night. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
2011.11.21 MONDAY CLASS 

WARMUP
with David on sand 25-30 min
Agility, gauntlet chain drill shuffling in between people, crouching handhold jump over arms, etc

CONDITIONING/MOVEMENT
Climbup progressions at high wall by baseball steps
4x10 Kipping climbup from cat with one foot on ground
4x5 climbups from cat...chicken wing

STRETCH

NOTES
Pretty easy class except for the climbups which made it a Humbling class. Climbups are hard. Pops are easy. Couldnt quite get left arm chicken wing. Got the Kip coordination tho. Need to work on dips, wall pullups, jumping climbups, jumping muscle ups, assisted muscle ups, Pk elbow pushups. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
2011.11.23 WEDNESDAY CLASS AT HELL STAIRS
AKA menehune pyramid of doom

WARMUP
Run from Ala Moana. 0.8 miles

CONDITIONING
•run up stairs one step at a time, back down
•Two steps at a time
•Three
•Two
•One
•Side step up and down, cross crossing in front
•Other side
•Side step up and down, cross behind
•Other side
•Kong up and back down
•Side QM up and down...feet first down
•Other side
•side QM parallel to stairs, hands first down
•Other side
•QM backwards up and down
•Solidarity run up and down until everyone else catches up..."I like the flowers, I like the daffodils..."
•Plyo up bkwds...or if you're not Ozzi, plank on bottom with feet on third stair and one hand up at a time...10x per hand
•Kinda like mountain climbers with feet to third step x30
•Maybe we did another QM bkwds up or something else...can't remember

MOVEMENT
running step step precision on steps, monkey up, monkey up
Same delete a step
Same to like a pop on wall instead of precision
Same to waist catch (easier than pop)
Run back to Ala wai and ala Moana
Flow: step kong up steps, pop, waist catch, run, cat down, step to cat...up steps, over wall, wall, along path, down big wall, along path, small wall to big wall and back to steps
  Progress to crane on the top wall instead of waist catch

STRETCH

NOTES
great class. Feel great. Hell stairs was easier this time. My endurance is better. We didn't go to the very top but we did more things. And we didn't get kicked out! We moved fast in case we did. I loved it actually. Training hard rocks. The burn...mmm. I had a good reserve of energy.

The flow at the end made us more tired than we thought. Felt good after the stairs but got winded easily. Everyone enjoyed it and there was good energy. Class wasn't too big. Maybe 9 or 10. There is something about the challenge that makes you feel accomplished. Shoulders and upper back/seratis is sore from climbups on Monday. I was surprised. Didnt seem like I did much b/c I had a really hard time getting up. But it worked.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:53:07 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
Great job so far!

Keep it up, man.

Hey bro,
I didn't even realize you posted until now. Thanks.

Happy training, and happy thanksgiving!

Posted to follow.
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
2011.11.26 SATURDAY SOLO IN HAIKU

Joints, run
precisions, QMs, monkey stalls, dips, pushups
Vaults
Stretch

TIME
1 hr

NOTES
built a vault box with jordan. 36x36x48x16
Its a good size but high for a lot of things. Low back is still a bit funky. Motivation and discipline is hard alone. Easy to get lazy. The worst is warming up and then getting lazy to work on movement techniques and flow. Need to get back into solo training and build the habit again. 

We are socialized as sheep. We got to school and jobs and think we can accomplish things...so proud of what we have done under the supervision of people in systems that were designed for us. It's not the same to design your life and live it with vigor. Especially if it's not conventional. I'm talking about career and home construction as much as anything else. I have been enjoying the hard led workouts tho. But havent developed technique in a while. Took a nice walk in a pine forest and did some movement there. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »
2011.11.27 SUNDAY SESSION WITH JORDAN IN HAIKU

chill warmup
Moderate conditioning gauntlet 10x QM and either some kind of pushups or squats
Precisions
Various Vaults on box
Bounce on tramp
Stretch
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
2011.11.28 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
Joints, bouncing, high knees

CONDITIONING
agility drills on low walls...both sides of steps, always bouncing
Left up, left dn, run back
Other side 
Repeat both side Bc no one got it
Shuffle step up, hands dn, run back
Other side
I feel like there was another round with hands but maybe not
Crawl back halfway, bkwds rest of the way

MOVEMENT
rolls...lots of instruction 
Jump to stance, Plyo pushup
That with roll
Jump to stance, plank, pushup and roll
Broad jump to roll x3 in a row
Thief vault big wall and roll
Same without the back hand
Speed vault, roll

NOTES
Failure is one step closer to success. Felt tired and lethargic. Thanksgiving is over. Quite a gastronomic experience. And I think I gained a pound and a half in less than a week. Low back is tender. 

Thiefs felt great. Rolls felt great. Actually the first roll session where I can out completely unscathed. Weird but I'll take it. Speed vault felt pretty good but need more commitment and momentum. Kind of tapped my hand twice on the wall. 

Flow and inspiration is what was missing from my weekend vault box workouts. I was conditioning to work on a vault box. It felt all wrong. Like I was setting up to drill a list of movements. No variety of obstacles. Made the warmup boring. No creativity. That's the challenge...warmup flow to stretch flow. Play. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2011, 12:02:55 AM »
VISUALIZATION

visualize. visualize your next move. and visualize your movement on the way to your training location. going to a class where someone is not only laying out your next move, but demonstrating it for you can leave you wondering what to do when you train solo. visualizing helps your training flow. it allows the creativity to come out and determine your path for you. all you have to do is imagine and your body will follow. you can literally just look at an obstacle and your mind starts to formulate ways over it. the next thing you know your body is in motion. and if you take a second to notice you just might find that your mind is quiet. that is body and mind as one. no mind, yet pure thought. actual work.

this is the way I like to practice parkour on my own. otherwise I will have an idea of what I want to work on and I might some drills in mind for certain walls or rails or a general area where I know there are opportunities for that kind of movement. you can also visualize when you watch videos on your own time. I spent a lot of time doing this before I went out there, and although a lot of that time was spent on the couch I think it had some effect in lodging it in my brain. better times spent doing that were after a session of the same movement. watching during a session is just a distraction.

solo sessions without my creativity pushing me tend to be lackluster. unless they are geared toward drilling something in particular. I don't know if it's laziness or what, but when I go out there and don't have something to push me it can just feel like I'm going through the motions. especially when the weather isn't nice. visualization can take you inside yourself and turn your imagination on. like you are a kid. the walls become vaults. a handicapped ramp becomes a playscape. people around you fade back and it's just you. distraction doesn't exist. sometimes kids join in, but that's just another obstacle.

everything that’s in your way is an obstacle. the biggest one is yourself.

Motion for motion's sake