Author Topic: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)  (Read 31201 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »

Haven't done anything. Been taking it pretty easy and trying to process. Some pushups and a solitary pullup here and there. Occasional QM teaser

A benchmark to reach someday
Also a good training approach
http://www.parkourgenerations.com/blog/2009/06/67-training-session-in-lisses.php

Need to get back into it. AM seems like the best approach. Min 30 min. Start with a run and go from there. Hour would be better if I don't study that AM. Workout in eve same day. That's the plan anyway.

Discipline
Work 
Passion

Mind
Body
Spirit
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
Bro, I have been wanting to do a mile QM for a while, I do think I would have to prep myself for it. Maybe a look around Ala moana or something. Who knows...

Mind, body and spirit and where is at my man ;)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
Or maybe at Waikiki between the zoo and san souchi. Wide walkway and wide walls there. Like the part at ala moana white pillars but much longer
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
2011.01.22. Diamond head hike

Pretty crowded but went as fast as we could when the humans werent in the way. Ran the last part down on the paving to the park in the crater. Ankle felt a tweak a few times on the gravel but no prob

Did 4 tree Pullups (still my Max)
Climbed tree

Ran down to car in neighborhood
Played on playset by the farmers market
3 Pullups on the pullup bar
Bit of QM and monkeying around...lava game
Cat balance on slanty beam

Beach
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
2011.01.23 @ Makiki park

Warmup run to park 5 min

20 pushups
Cat balance on wall around playset 
20 Squats 
QM under playset and backwards 
20 crunches
Cat balance on wall around playset
10 jumping/swinging/Kipping Pullups
QM under playset and backwards
10 height jumps to 1'-6" wall
Couple handstands with spot, pike on tree with shoulder touches (macaraina)

Ran most of way back home

Long stretch

TOTAL TIME 1 hour
ACTUAL WORK 30min + 15min stretch

NOTES
tried to do a tight half hour workout. Would have been a tight half hour but we had a bit of downtime in between, deciding what to do on what wall/rail/table. Were pretty efficient for first half hour. If we had run back the whole way and did a 5 min stretch it would have been 1/2 hour and I could have added at least another set of something or did 2 rounds of everything faster. 

Back felt mushy. Keep belly sucked in for most elements. But still felt like 8 marshmallows. Now just low back is a bit...I dunno. Helps to focus on core stability and better use of gluts...push thru heel. Try not to engage psoas so much for certain elements. Massage once a month.

handstands Didnt feel too steady. Height jumps felt uneasy on 2' wall (to mid tricep). 1'-6" wall is better (to elbow) and could have done 3 sets 10 fast. It's frustrating to feels so weak and stiff and mentally soft. Makes sense why we need so much activity so often to get anywhere

GOAL
3 morning workouts a week, 2 evening classes a week, something fun and active each weekend
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 10:16:46 AM »
2011.01.27 DIET NOTES

looks like I reached my 180# goal. So I lost about 20 in 8 month. Have some pretty funny before and after pics. Am starting to look more like a human. The next 10 will be harder but shouldn't be too big of a deal. 

Goal is 2 months. Same diet, maybe smaller portions if need be. Increase workout frequency. Calorie count as req'd. No beer is easy and is working...but am drinking rum instead. Sugar and alcohol processed in liver like (worse than) sugar is no good but my mood has increased. Supplements have helped too. 

Diet has been nothing hard. Basically paleo at home as far as meals go without thinking too much about it and not being strict at all. Cheating with the never ending consultant chocolates at work. Started cal counting but am spotty at best. Wendi is counting daily and I eat pretty much what She eats. 

Protein has been low. Started smoothies. Sometimes that is dinner. Am never hungry. Still eat too much. Not trying at all. Could push 2# loss per week if tried. Still being lazy about mornings and evenings. Will be happy when bootcamp starts. 

Drinking about 2.5-3 gal water per work week. 0.5-0.6 gal per day. As much as I want basically. Doesn't include workout water. Only office. Not much at home. Negligible. Coffee mornings. Rum pm mournings.

Nutrition is ok. Need to better calorie count to know better. Cursory looks shows lower than anticipated protein...meat and fish are $$$$. Fat is high, but carbs low. All in all not concerned. Slowly getting better. Fruit breakfasts. Home lunches. Awesome home dinners. Averaging probably a handful of salads per week. Have snacks at work to level blood sugar but am not consistent. Not always hungry for it. 

2 mo goal will get me to the top of my rec BMI. But I still have a 20# range below that. Once I get there I imagine the coming years and intended weight/strength training will keep me about the same wt trading fat for muscle. This is all ideal of course but if i stay 165ish and building muscle Next year and onwards i will be on it. 

And by the way, it's been maybe 5 years (?) since I quit smoking. Ha. Funny how things go. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:48:44 PM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
10 pounds left to lose huh... maybe the couple days for the next 6 weeks will help. Will definitely increase your muscle mass for sure.
 Ghandi

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
Yeah bro, I know it will help. But I am excited to get the belly out of the way for other reasons too...makes arm jumps easier to high walls without the bump, less weight on upper body to haul over obstacles, etc.

Cardio will probably help so feel free to make me run or do mountain climbers or whatever if my back is complaining

Mahalo
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
Sounds good to me brother.
You are always welcome to suggest drills and the like that I can also share with the class.
 Ghandi

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
2011.01.30 OLOMANA HIKE

Good hike. First peak. 4 hours with maybe an hour of breaks. Climbing and rope sections weren't as bad as we thought they might be. Climbing wasn't too hard. A bit challenging and fun. QMs helped and felt natural. Didn't use the rope except for the top Rock. Next time will try more belaying type ascent and descents. Especially the descending is a mental barrier. 

The top was mentally a bit scary once you see how high up you are. About 1800'. The whole way up you are on a small ridge but the vegetation gives you a sense of balance and safety. But up on top the sky is so big that it was a mental challenge to relax. Thought the climb down would have been harder on the rocks and rope but it wasn't bad. Once we were over the 15' wall it was easy. Some nice little jumps on the way Down. Work on ankle PT to strengthen. Felt good but I could tell more than certain things would have been a strain. 

Next time we should do the second peak. Third peak maybe after I can climb the rope with no legs. Wanted to go to jam but didn't want to pass this up. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
2011.01.30 ONE MONTH PUSHUP CHALLENGE

my friend made me a challenge to do 100 pushups a day for a Month. I figured I am not there yet and offered 50 instead. He accepted. Since FEB is a short month we are starting today. That's a total of 1500. 

Did 25 just now and will do the rest before bed. I won't log daily but will post updates in logs.
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 11:03:07 PM »
2011.02.01 BOOTCAMP

first day. Nothing major. Lots of breaks with instruction 
Long nice bounce warmup with some QMs
Stretching, Held some plank
Basic jump drills up steps, varied QM down, maybe dozen
Wall climbups with pop, negative down, maybe handful
One min horse...burn
Stretch

Time 1:45...with 45minwork

Keeping up with pushup challenge with Ed. 
RUNNING TOTAL 150
Added one minute hollowbody per day challenge with Wendi. 
RUNNING TOTAL 3min
5 pullups, 3 sets (first ever set of 5!)

NOTES
Wrist is stiff. Shoulder is tight
Body awareness is really improving. Back is great except for jumping! Interesting...basic conditioning movement is easy to keep core tight which keeps back great. But even basic jumps and I forget. Inefficient. Legs are slow and weak to tuck, core is sloppy, and sloppy abs makes back overwork. Bad ninja! I get the mechanics, but need work to promote more efficient body usage.

Wall pop was a first. Sloppy. Core and leg coordination is under developed. Same basic weakness. Which means vault without perfect execution is a risk. And learning things the wrong way creates bad habits. So...thinking as I am typing, guess I have to say that baby steps are the way to go. Train the most basic jump 1000 times. I have heard it said; now I'm saying it. Guess I learned it. 

GOAL
now that I have regular workout thing GET LICENSE EXAMS DONE. NO EXCUSES. 

And do at least a workout or two solo...I am itching to get some reps done. Group training has it's limitations. I want structure but what I really want is the trainer inside me to get up on it 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:06:01 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »
2011.02.03 CLASS at ALA MOANA (again...forgot to log last loc)

great class. Back feels good...warm and alive. Upper body feeling the pushups and pullups. Legs still feeling the hike. Nice to get the compound work feeling. J'aime Le Parkour. Je suis amoureux avec l'art du displacement. 

Chill sunset beach warmup
Pressup drills (finally got them!) 20-30
Lots of planks
Pressup drill walk thingy...tough to coordinate and pull off
Plant plyo...maybe 100. 16 people: 1,2,3...8,7,6,...1  6=6reps
Lots of cat work on pillars (7'?)
Pop vault - from cat hang to cat with feet on wall, work up the wall
Variations of this
Cat hang 10s, 5s
Few min jog to 5' wall
cat from standing, run
Cat to backwards roll with flow...drill w/ min 2 people
Wall run to mount
Wall run to get over wall x2
Light stretch
Meditation, play the movie back...reflection w/ flow

TIME 2 1/2 hours 

NOTES
felt really good. Good sweat, mostly constant work but not too hard...lots of work tho. Back is starting to get a little knotty but way less than when I used to do nothing, so great improvement. Need a rub soon. Abs are a bit sore, maybe from hollow bodies. Got some nice little blisters from the walls 

Starting to get the wall run foot placement but still loud. Think I am gonna pass on the pushups tonight. Did the equivalent today. But might do a set of 10 for good measure and a set of 5 pullups. And a 1 min hollow body to keep up the challenges. Plyo plants...still got my knees wider than my arms...what's wrong here?

GOALS
got them set and am on track. Feels good. Start studying ;)
And do 1 hour work at Makiki park...work on plyo plants and box jumps. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:41:50 PM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
2011.02.05 KAPIOLANI PARK

warmup run
Inverted rows overhand 3x10
Inverted rows underhand 3x10
Squats 3x30
Crunches 3x30
Jumprope 5x50
Lunges 3x10
L-stand at wall barely 10s x2...Wendi did 1m
Precisions on ground 6.5' (shoe feet) 3x10
Box jumps on knee ht wall 3x10
Kong vaults over same wall, about 10
Kong vaults over low bench, about 10
Cat balance on curve balance beam 3x
Cat leaps to 7' wall but rounded on top...no grip
QM about 20-30' forwards and backwards x3
Dip at Waikiki 

Time...maybe hour or so

NOTES
Arms are tired from thur so worked on legs mostly. Wanted to work on vault or some kind of movement but frustrating. Hip ht and momentum feel good but still have the outside mental barrier. HA makes it easy. Want to get to the point where I can do most vaults on picnic tables b/c they are everywhere. Every park. A good beginner wall is hard to find. Maybe find a good spot to break the jump

Wanted to work on simple jumps. Precisions are weak and sloppy. Didnt bother to try and stick it yet. Work reps and grow the technique. Lots to do. Work on landing correctly. Harder than it seems like it should be. Same with box jumps. Needs work. Jumprope is fun tho; do more!

Saw a bad ass dude about 45 doing farmer carries with a huge stump. He was ripped. Carried a block of concrete as big as a cooler...just strolling around, crossing the road...
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 10:54:32 PM »
2011.02.08 class @ kakaako park

Warmup with kind of horse stance walk
Jumps on steps...prec up and Down x10 or 20
Gauntlet on steps: prec up, 3x monkey stalls on wall, run back, jump down x3 or so
G2: prec, cat balance on wall, run back, jump down x3 or so
Hold plank, 20 pushups
Did another set of 10 pushups 
(warm now)
Lazy and thief values on big rails and go under(x2 per rail) switch sides, sprint back, x2...dozen rails...almost 50 vaults and duck unders
Precisions at amphitheater, various
QM gap
Monkey stall on big rails with slow squat
Monkey vault rail x10...mostly to one side cheat
But pulled off decent monkey at end
Stretch

TIME about 2 hours

NOTES
great class. Body feels good, not too tired. Don't think I will be that sore. Back is talking tho. Jumps felt good but I think the vaults (L) did me In. Couldn't get thief. Leading hand shouldn't be there? Watch tutorial.  Lazy vault is cake. Feels good. Swing up and over, np. 

GOAL
go find something to vault and practice whatever feels good. Do sim jump gauntlet Cond after good warmup. Maybe those rails again. 

FREE BOOTCAMP EVERY SATURDAY
at ALA moana lifeguard station d1 at 9am
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »
2011.02.10 class at ALA moana

Warmup In sand
Bouncing 
QM various 

GAUNTLET
Hop up on wall, step down, all the way down wall
50 mountain climbers
Step up on wall (II to wall...close leg up, step, same leg down, step) all the way
50 (i did 30) Lsit leg extensions (?)
Box jump on wall, side QM down, all the way down wall
10 burpees
I think we did all that twice with frog stand, etc,...
Wheh!

MOVEMENT
Landing drills from wall 10 or so
Rolls 10 or so
Leapfrog rolls 10 or 20
Wall dismounts...step with hand assist, vault (watev) back up
Did a whole bunch of movement
Ended in dismount from high wall like safety over it
Pop vaults up wall, tons of these
Various flow, like jump up low wall and power jump to high, dismount
Version with cat negative dismount
Pushups for loud landing
Just did a ton of movement...awesome
Last thing had super hero cry...so funny

Stretch

TIME 2:15

NOTES
so fun. Don't really feel sore much these days but I am working. Think I am getting stronger and building endurance. But warmup was a bit of an ass kicker. Guess starting is the hardest part In short and long term. 

Back felt a bit shaky to start but felt good. Kept core engaged. Did 95% of everything but took a couple short breaks near end to monitor and stretch. Low back felt warm and good. But after a min felt a bit mushy. Will know tomorrow...

Rolls. Need to work on arm pistons...soft arms. Leapfrog had bad rolls. Speed and monkey starting to feel good. Having a blast. Even after the warmup. ;) moon was half and high, sunset was pink and buttery against the gray. Had a sweet moment to enjoy it before movement. Nice shavasna on the beach at end. Thanks mom. 1 month today. 2 hours are better than 1

GOAL
find a way to still be doing this in 30 years. 20 years ago people started. Now the best have 10+ years exp, and most are teaching. Thats not long. How do you keep it up when most moves can be mastered in a few short years? 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
2011.02.12 Saturday @ Kaneohe community park

Warmup broken into sets
300 Jumprope
50 pushups
60 squats
25 monkeystalls with arm assist

Movement
Some cats on wall and a little bit of climbing
This and that, not much
Some Pressup drills, some sprinting
Some QM on wall, pike on wall, lame handstand
Mostly Lazy and thief vaults on rail
Some underbars

Time 
maybe an hour 

Notes
Light workout. Starting to get thief vaults. Safety tap doesn't help. Wanna try on wall. Lazy is feeling pretty good but probably looks sloppy. Work on these. Rained and was a bit wet. Not too bad. Underbars need work. 

Goal
Increase precision by a foot
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
2011.02.14 @ Makiki park

WARMUP 
run to park
3x50 Jumprope
3x cat balance on wall
3x10 box jumps on 18" wall
2x25 crunches
25 pushups
2x QM gap over and back on 10' rail/wall other side

MOVEMENT
Worked on lazy vaults on high wall, about rib ht. Worked progression and did some monkey vaults

TIME 
about an hour

NOTES
Night practice. abs too sore to do more than a pullup. Lazy is coming along. Caught my foot a couple times. Try on lower wall. Monkey vault is feeling pretty good but still closer to a 2-handed vault sometimes. Wall was Too high for thief.

Been keeping up to date on pushup challenge. Running total 800 for the month. Same with hollow bodies, except I have a makeup day to do...tonight I guess. 

GOAL
Work on monkey vault on lower wall at same area this week. There is sort of a planter where the wall is shorter on one side with small drop on other side
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »
2011.02.15 class at ala moana

Warmup on beach, mostly QMs and moving around 
On grass, don't remember...plyo pushups, some handstand progressions from pike, a bunch of quad burning stuff
20 or so things...kinda like mountain climber in a pike with feet jumping from ground to wall

10 cat leap abort drills both legs
10 more each leg

Safety vault over low fat wall at deep steps, climbup
Tic tacs to high wall, cat negative, hand shimmy to low wall
Switch...but land with hands at waist on low wall

Ab work on beach in hollowbody position
20? legs straight out
2 or 3x50 bicycles
50 swims

Static stretching

TIME
Just under 2 hours

NOTES
Tic tacs were useless. Matt helped me. Work on wall run parallel to wall instead of up it. Try that spot again. Climbups are feeling good on a wall maybe chin high. One side safety vault needs work, other is close to speed vault. That spot is great...variable wall ht, diff drop at each step

GOALS
work on Tic tacs cause they suck. Take goals (that are getting better at being goals) and build a workout around them. Work on climbups at varying ht wall at Makiki park cause they rock
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »
Oh hey Andrew, although I don't know who you are from class. It's Michael from the class. Just a note it was at least 3 sets of 50 bicycle kicks. Also that weird twisty thingy we did is called a Russian twist and there was 4 sets of 50.

I'm at Ala Moana Beach Park on Saturdays also if you'd like to join me then.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT