Author Topic: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)  (Read 38169 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
2012.01.22 SUNDAY JAM AT MAKIKI PARK

nice mellow jam. Had to leave after an hour and a half to take alice and beth to the airport. Didnt stretch. Pop vaults definitely make my back funky. I really need to switch legs. 
Saw some really inspiring movement. Huge Precisions, dynos, etc. 

I want to come back and train Precisions on the walls at the ramp next to the playground. High but short. Train turn vaults at rails near steps by parking lot and the climbup to the top of the steps. That's a nice high turn vault to work on when I get my landings tight. There is great flow potential there...lazy vaults. Train cat from the steps there. Work the cat in the hole next to the library

Add on
Precisions on curb
Running Precisions 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »
2012.01.25 WEDNESDAY SOLO AT MAKIKI PK

WARMUP
Run, joints

CONDITIONING
•5x QM fwd dn steps, bkwd up, 10x squats
•Gauntlet: 10x pushups, vaults over rails, 10x monkey stalls
Just did it once...thought of 5 and then decided to do a long flow instead. 
•Flow: safety, turn, vault, monkey over rails, monkey stall up wall, dismount, pop up wall at stairs, vault to stairs, lazy over rail, monkey stall to wall, cat to high wall, 3x wall pullups. 
Did this twice and realized it was a bit much. Worked mellow stuff as a build up to flow like that later...can do some loooooong flows here

MOVEMENT 
•Cats from steps to wall in the hole. Worked up the steps to second highest working both legs. I was afraid of this before. Feels good. Grabbed the bottom bar, not the wall. 
•Worked the high cat to the wall under the broken window. Looks high but it's super short and is easy. Both of these cats were good to get used to. 
•Rail flow again but shorter:
Lazy, turn, safety/speed back, monkey
Alternated turn sides and alternated lazy and Thiefs to start switching sides. 
•Some Thiefs over wall at library door
•Cat balance on rail...wasn't happening so I went to the wall along the ramp. Those Rails are super skinny
•Rail balance and squats next to tree
•Precisions from concrete barrier to busted slab sections. The jump looked beyond my limit so i Found a good test spot and it was fine. Then moved the lump a bit closer to the barrier...set of 10...only needed 5...closer...fine. I ended up grooving on this for a while. Looks scary but not so bad. This is my max at about 80% with a bit of a drop to help
•Post balance, precision down

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hr

NOTES
It's Been hard to fit In training time but I need it. Had a biz dinner last night with PF on kaiser MOB prj. Charrette yesterday. All day mtgs. I love training in pants! It's been board shorts til now

Nice session. Some breaking the jump. Not planned. Creativity a bit but mostly had a vague idea of things I wanted to work on and that place has so much so it was easy. I saw a lot more tonight and on the way. Pk vision is improving. Play. Time went by slowly tho. I might be a fool to move away from this Pk and Ala Moana. 

GOALS
•Precision the walls at the handicap ramp. They are the right distance, a good height, and fairly fat. Break the jump. Timeline...? Maybe end of the month. Should be good.  I'm really enjoying Precisions these days. 
•train cat balance on fat rails at kakaako...lazy's and Thiefs too
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2012, 12:43:45 AM »
2012.01.27 FRIDAY MAKIKI PARK

30 min run

Run to park with mounts, vaults and cats on the way. Ran thru construction scaffold ducking under caution tape and such. 
10x monkey stalls
10x turn vaults over wall to cat and drop
Precision play, agility on concrete lumps to warmup
Big precision about 10x or so
Cats in the hole, maybe 10ish
Run home

NO STRETCH

NOTES
Used my Nike dakine and set it for 30 min. Went for a run. Ended up at the park doing a bunch of movement and a bunch of play on the way. No warmup really, but I tailored my movement on the right curve. Constant motion. Didn't stretch. Had very little time. Work, run, dinner with friends at 7

Did my biggest precision again. Did the turn vaults at my bldg's ramp I always thought about. Biggest turn vault ever at highway: Maybe 8-10 feet drop. Biggest monkey stall ever...about chest height with a drop on the other side. Nike says I burned 250 calories and had an average mile of about 15 min. I wonder how it averaged my speed....running, walking, and flying thru the air as an average...
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »
2012.01.29 SUNDAY HIKE AT MAKAPUU
with john, Rachel and Wendi

Fun times. Lots of off trail exploring. Super windy cliff side trails. Trail running, Precisions on concrete piers about chest high, mounts, drops, Precisions, cats to pill boxes, cat negatives, scrambling...
Then halona bay. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »
2012.02.02 THURSDAY RECAP OF THIS WEEK
More of a confession than a training log entry

went for a run again to MAkiki Pk and ended up doing basically nothing. Did that a couple times this week. I am generally Stoked about that place. There is more and more to do there But it can get crowded. I need to be totally inspired or have a conditioning plan or have a limited time like last Friday...last good session. I see opportunity, then realize I need to warmup but get lazy to do it. Lame. 

I could see Kauai or places with limited opportunity being easier in that way. You have your place for Precisions and another place for cats and another place with only one element to work with. So you have to know what you want to work on and go to the one place you can do that. There are almost no walls or rails on that island. Its crazy. Just boulders, mountains and beaches. Anyway...

Scouted out some good flows. Awesome tree routes. Found an amazing tree sloping up as the ground slopes down. You can basically run up it and vault thru a Y of branches about 10' up and roll onto grass/dirt. 

That place is great for cats, turn vaults and Precisions. Found some jumps to break and progressions up to them. There is some pretty big stuff there. And a daring turn vault at my building a story up. It's totally safe if you land on the right spot...basically a beam over the parking lot below. But it looks scary. Something to work up to. 

I miss training with people. I can get lazy on my own. In a group when someone is being lazy it pushes me harder. But alone it's different. Then again, it's a great way to woodshed some technique. Refine. Push. It's a Challenge to keep it fresh. Changing loc helps. Planning helps. High # of Reps helps. Being inspired and creative helps. 

I tend to do too many movements if I'm feeling restless. Like a hodgepodge of movement. But focusing on one movement is great and I should commit to it more. Unless it's Precisions, Which can be limiting unless you are In a place with enough variety to do different lengths and hts, running and multiple jumps. 

But rail and wall work can turn one movement Into a lot of variety. Working on turn vaults can turn into drilling climbups and negatives and you can work on cat hangs...without it being a cat leap session. Maybe you end up drilling some over and back core work on top of the wall...similar movement...or some dyno work if there are multiple rails, and you end up doing 400 tuck jumps to top it all off. That kind of focus works for me on sessions that aren't flow oriented. But flow needs to be flow...not "ok, I'm bored with this, let's wander aimlessly over here..." 

I plan to get back to class once a week and do a weekly solo with hiking on weekends until I can get this next exam out of the way. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
2012.02.08 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP
•Sand bouncing
•High knees turning the circle...sideways high knees
•20 or so x Touch down to the left with leg extended, other side
•Same fwd and bkwd like a lunge with a touch down
•20x Touchdown on the spot and jump up to extension, 10s plank, 10s low plank. Did about 100 of those in sets of 10. Felt like longer low plank but it wasn't mentally hard. Just breathe

CONDITIONING
•Lunge walk from brick to water and bkwd back, arms behind back
•Lunge walk without getting up, smtg else back...like frog hop maybe
•ninja sideways walk and back
•Fwd crouch walk holding ankles, frog hop back with hands behind back
•Side low QM and back
•50x plyo monkeys with squat at the top and Pushup at the end. Sets of 5. At low white wall

MOVEMENT
Vault table, run up table, cat to column, up to wall, run along wall, jump over bags to lower wall, kong dismount down to roll

STRETCH AND MEDITATION

NOTES
good to train with people again. Ive been lazy this week but i HAVE been studying! More conditioning than I do on my own. And more focused flow. Was hard but not a stuggle. Feels good. A bit much for big movement. Calf cramped up on flow

I have the cat, but i need to Work on it from a precision off the table with both feet on the wall. I can't visualize it so the commitment isn't quite there. Work on out of body visualization. Or flip the "Fu<k it" switch and grunt through it. As soon as I know I have the distance I just need to drill it. Eventually work up to the crane. Need to be able to do either foot in the cat to get it. I still have two steps on the table. Delete 1. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
2012.02.15 WEDNESDAY SOLO SESSION AT VILLAGE MALUHIA

WARMUP
Quick joints

CONDITIONING/MOVEMENT
Set of monkey stalls on wall at sidewalk
Few sets of incline pushups with mount 
Some box jumps
Some vaults up and down walls, drops
A tiny bit of flow to get warmed up
Precisions over grate back and forth, some drops away from the metal plate in the sidewalk
Some vaults over rail at grass for fun

TIME
1/2 hr or so. Tried for 15 min but Wendi said it was about 30 min

NOTES
I jus moved and felt it. Had a general idea...loc, precisions, turn vaults. nice quickie. Tuen vault will take some work to land feet on the wall going over a rail. Wall is easier. That precision is nice. Kinda Short but a drop on the other side, so it's nice to drill that and get used to the depth and mental aspect. This was a study break from SS. night time, and right under people's open windows so somewhat of a stealth mission. Keys in pocket. No stretch. Back to work!

HIKE NOTE
had a mellow wknd hike with Joe and the ladies in manaloa valley. Some good movement there. Lots of bridges. Potential for a nice natural movement session:

•Run to bridge: station 1 warmup, scope out some movement potential for the way back
•run to next bridge: station 2 conditioning, scope for movement for return trip
•QM thru creek to next bridge: station 3, conditioning of some sort. If this is the cliff/cave then there could be something else
•turn around, back to station 2, smtg else
•back to station 1, stretch
Total 5 stations, probably 5 min or so run, 10 or 20 min per place, easily 1.5-2 hrs. We spent at least 3 and didn't get to the end. Saw about 7 bridges but only 4 or so were of any height. 
Lots of potential for strides and stuff along the way. Tons of Precisions. Not much for vaulting, but there's flow. Lots of drops

Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
2012.02.20 SUNDAY AND MONDAY HIKES
palolo valley to crater trail with John
Lots of fun. Very technical. Lots of ropes. Super slippery. Muddy. Saw 3 waterfalls. Climbed 1. Ended up on top of the koolau mountains overlooking both sides of the island. Wore my hiking shoes. So stiff. Feiyues may have been ok for the rock part but overall would been a slippery mess. Will need to test that. Tweaked my left knee somehow and limped the whole way down.

Crater hike actually had movement but not so dynamic. QM (the most useful so far) up mud faces, across top of waterfall, crabwalk down mud faces, scrambling up rock walls and waterfall, lots of balance, grip work.
5 hrs round trip

Hiked to dragon's nostrils at Makapuu yesterday. Super big waves. They were crashing and shooting water up about 30'. 40-50' on the big ones. Incredible. A bit of movement. Rocked the frees. Love them.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:45:12 PM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2012, 10:42:09 PM »
2012.02.21 TUESDAY SOLO SESSION AT CONDO

WARMUP
Joints, dynamic movement

CONDITIONING
10 sets of 10 pushups, precision gap, drop, 10 monkey stalls

MOVEMENT
Turn vaults
Safety vaults
Cat leaps

NO STRETCH
I'm getting lazy about this

TIME
45 min

NOTES
just a quick session while mother in law was getting picked up at the airport. They came home early. There are a lot of cars there. Just more obstacles I guess. Flow is fun with other people. I can train technique with reps and get off on it but I haven't really done gauntlet type flow on my own. If I don't I just get lazy and end up walking around. I could play a bit more if I had a bigger bag of tricks or fewer observers. Gauntlet = focus. There was an ambulance hanging out on the street so i cant say they really bug me, at least when i'm conditioning. 

Need to Keep knees in on monkey stalls. Found a good turn vault with a tight ledge and a drop. Work up to that. Drill those at ground level. Drill, drill, drill! 

PUSHUP CHALLENGE
100 pushups for 100 days
I think this is day 3...or 4...
Got behind and had to do 200 today
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »
2012.02.22 WEDNESDAY CLASS
with JC

WARMUP
Sand

CONDITIONING
Jog to end, slow motion gauntlet
5 sets of
5 pushups, run to wall, monkey stall, 5 squats, vault dn, run back slooooooowly, 5 v ups

Fast version, Sprint back
5 sets of 
5 pushups, run to wall, monkey stall, 5 squats, vault dn, run back, 5 v ups

MOVEMENT
rolls on sand
Rolls around line of cone people
Jump rolls on sand
Rolls on grass
Rolls on concrete

STRETCH

TIME 
1.5 hr

NOTES
mellow class. Was late so ran to it. Knee was tweaking on sprints. It's like a knot on my tendon. It rained like hell the whole time. Rotator cuff is hurting. Generally feeling strong other than pains and that stuff. Need to work on mental strength...break jumps

PUSHUP CHALLENGE
25 more to go today. Class pushups don't count. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
Day 7 or maybe 8
Stopped the pushup challenge. I can finally lift my arm above my head but not without pain. Deltoid. Probably a myofascial thing. 

Have not trained. Knee is still funky so other than core work I am limited. And I've been using the time to recover from visitors and Wendi finally getting a job offer and everything else. And at is still slightly declining...holding at about 165 now so I lowered the bar to 160

Will train this weekend
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
2012.03.11 SUNDAY INJURY/PAIN UPDATE
Not injuries, really, but i have not been functional. Could have trained in mimited ways...haven't done anything for weeks. Been resting but hasn't been effective. Have not stretched or anything. Took 2 exams and passed the big one so I have at least been productive. 

Finally figured out my knee pain. Forgot that I rolled my ankle a bit on the start of that 5 hr hike. I think I pulled the attachment of my peronius longus at the knee (inverts the foot). It probably pulled something out of whack and other muscles in the knee are compensating. Need to foam roll that area, IT band, calf, hamstring and quad. 

Deltoid is still sore. Can't straighten arm fully. I need to figure this one out. Not sure what it is but maybe a fascial injury? Feels different. Slowly getting better but needs to be stretched maybe? Painful to stretch it, which is weird. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
2012.04.29 SUNDAY UPDATE

LONG BREAK DUE TO INJURIES, EXAMS AND MOVING

Aloha from Kapaa, Kauai!
We have been here a week. New job - DREAM JOB! - new apt, new Parkour vision. Haven't trained in a while...knee still needs work, shoulder is a bit better but still painful for some things. Got my last 2 tests done, and coordinated an island move in 2 weeks with a container and a car. Pretty crazy. 

So here we are! And now it's back to training. I've been cataloging Kauai hotspots and am eager to post on the forum. Go to a gym class in the next month maybe when I get my groove back. KC is moving here too. North shore. It's not Oahu by a long shot, but pk will find it's way. And soon there will be KPK. 

Anyway, I'm stoked to see there are more training opportunities here than I thought based on the last 2 trips. I see a wall here and there, some rails. Tons of boulders and lava which really only offer good training in the rarest of configurations. I have seen a couple boulders that could be pop vaulted. A few high walls for pops and other training, but most have a curb or something to work with. I think I found the only HC ramp in town! 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
2012.05.08 TUESDAY AT KAUAI SANDS
with Wendi

WARMUP
Run

CONDUTIONING
5 x 10
Jump squats, QM, pushups, QM
100 tuck jumps
Toe to hand walk
Butt kick walk

STRETCH
Beach

TIME
1hr

NOTES
first workout on Kauai, first in over 2 months. I feel like crap. Light headed, dizzy, feel sick. Yuck. I can't go this long again. Good news is NO MOA EXAMS, Shoots! Registered architect! 

Shoulder is sore for certain things and feels weak on PU. Core is mushy. Muscles are tight. Knee was fine. Mind is strong. I'm ready to bounce and move. Excited. Run felt good. I just need to ramp back up and ease into it. Still under 165 but I lost a lot of muscle. 

I've been doing tons of homework on spots. Found lots in town. Stoked about hikes and SUP at kalapaki. Get my jeep Sunday. Mellow hike this weekend maybe. Looking fwd to mellow movement, lots of stretching, QM, meditation,...snorkeling...bike rides...foam rolling. 

GOALs
1 Tues, Thurs, Sat training at a minimum
2 Get knee and shoulder to 100% in 6 weeks
3 by my birthday/In 3 months:
- 10 consecutive pullups
- cat balance the length of the credit union rail
- palm spin left as good as right
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2012, 10:59:07 PM »
2012.05.10 THURSDAY AT KAUAI SANDS BEACH

sand warmup and various movement
Very Chill session
Did some scouting around the area and found a few more things but mostly I think i've tapped The area for obstacles. The next obstacle is creativity with those obstacles and training alone. JC will be here soon but north shore
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
KNEE INJURY PROGNOSIS 

Attachment of the peronial longus
Probably aggravated the attachment
Might have torn it a bit

Or it might be the posterior tibialis

Or Biceps femoris based on motion
Knee flexion
This is most likely it

Treat with 
Cross fiber friction and foam 3 dimensional leg 

Foam roll 5 min ea leg daily
1 hamstring
2 calf: sides and back
3 bottom of feet
4 quad
5 IT band
6 hamstring
7 cross friction
8 hamstring
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
First weekend on June

First Kauai Parkour jam that we know of

I'm not going to journal the same way

My job is all design all the time, so I'm throwing away the schedule and format and templates and am going to let it flow like it should. Goals...less than none. Flow. Direction. Motion. Movement. Creativity. Moment. 

I'll probably journal by hand. Design is analog anyway. And humans should think at the pace of a pen when reflecting. Digital doom goes with fluorescent light. pen and paper are better suited to sun light 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
TRAINING LOG

See notebook
Evolution in progress
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
just a quick update while i'm at a computer. have not been logging online or really much at all in my notebook but have been moving. not regularly, but struggling and making some progress on that. the move went well, got my exams out of the way, knee is healing with continual movement and foam rolling/pt.

i'm working 60-65 hours a week and that is my main obstacle at the moment. luckily i have a boss, who at 58 tried slacklining for the first time in his life on lunch break before a big deadline...talk about a delicate balance, and i mean that metaphorically...work hard, play hard and make sure you keep up with everything...isn't that what life's all about...it's tough but totally and completely satisfying

training is taking shape - other than sessions with JC - as a playful, spontaneous event at the nearest location when i have the time. limitation is the space/place and my imagination.

turned 36, and despite the lack of regular exercise i'm lighter than i can remember being in my entire life. and the earliest memory i have of my weight is the 7th grade. got white feiyues for my bday. and stoked to get my inov8's when they arrive. i'm officially a pk shoe princess...worse than wendi.

been working on breaking jumps almost every session. sometimes fear isn't scary. sometimes it's the tiniest hesitation that tells your body not to fully commit. it's totally psychological. and like a muscle. needs training. i find keeping loose helps a lot. stiffness sets in when you hit that rut. and the only way to move on is to do one more jump...isn't that what life's about...just one more jump. jump around and spaz out to get that looseness...now i know why DL does that tweaky thing before he commits to breaking a jump; other people do the same. the mini mental jump over the obstacle of fear so you can be fully in the now to MAKE THAT JUMP.

what else is going on...the pk scene here is non-existent but there are playgrounds everywhere. and abandoned buildings. it's a struggle to keep a regular schedule with no crew, and with just the 2 of us it's easy to bail if it's raining or we're feeling lazy or it's dark or whatever. a 3rd would help the balance. need to get back to my regular solo sessions and create the itch again. there is no excuse not to go outside and play on this island...other than there are lights ANYWHERE, so night training is tricky.

well enough babble...just wanted to check in. everything is drastically different on this island. but it's just a new set of limitations...or should i say, opportunities. keep moving.

aloha
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »
Log update

Been a while since I have logged. And had a lot of gaps in training. Haven't been logging the trainings online. Logged some in notebook. Been varying movement in different modalities with varying regularity. It's been tough getting into a rhythm on Kauai. Small community.

I have vaults and gear but motivation is the hardest. Some random spots but nothing like Honolulu. A few buddies to train with but not enough to have a critical mass to create real momentum for anybody. Ozzi is traveling Asia with Dan and Stephane. Great opportunity and well deserved. Miss training like that.

Training on the beach couldn't be easier or more amazing with nothing but rocks and logs and the sweaty need to jump in the ocean after a grueling set of whatever. Gotta love that. But routine is driven more by 4wheeling out of ruts than generated by class or meet ups. That can be disheartening.

Movement is movement. Challenges are challenges and all are welcome. The self directed life is critical and is challenging to keep consistent. Confidence is not the same when it dips and peaks. Easier to build on a larger curve than smaller curves moving wildly up and down. But maybe lifetime movement and health works that way...a bigger set of waves when viewed from a distance

Keep training and moving forward. Aloha
Motion for motion's sake