Author Topic: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)  (Read 32878 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
2010.12.05 Sunday at booth park

Met Ryan and his buddies
Did a bunch of different stuff for a couple hours

QM warmup on steps
Low wall jumps (plant plyo), variations, cranes
Did those jump back and forth drills on benches walking hands along w feet together
Worked on progression for palm spin on slide and table
Cat on wall 8'? With wall run assist
Cat on 5' wall
Goofed around on play stuff and monkey bars
Couple vaults on wall and rail
tried step 1 of flag to get the feel but didn't get anywhere
Played ninja 

NOTES
Nice to be outside. But could do with more warmup and disciplined drills. Harder without a drill sergeant. Was pretty chill. Didnt really break a sweat. 

Squats need work to assist mounts. Tucks need work. Lose the belly. Cats and low wall work was nice but vaults need more work at HA to get comfortable. Rolls on padded ground suck. Better on grass. 

4 beach trips this weekend. Did a lot of swimming. I love this beach frequency. Going solo is quick and easy. Can't wait to paddle again when I can get some help with the board down the stairs

GOLAS
Want to do this solo with some preplanned drills on stuff you would find anywhere and then be creative on whatever is there. 
Try apk warmup in parks
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:43:11 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
PULLUPS
been making gradual progress at home. Not even scratching the surface but can do 4 pullups from rest. Once I get warmed up At the gym I can't do one. Can do 4 more chinups with rest as well. But I Kip. Not that I mind. The movements I am training for are dynamic anyway so I don't feel like I'm cheating. Same with palms facing grip

Goal of 5 of each within 15'min
Maybe if I do it on bathroom trips I will remember
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »
2010.12.06 mon at HA

warmup run almost 10min

Conditioning:
10 pushups
10'wide arm pushups
10 of those pushups with one arm 90degrees and the other flat, alternating
10 sit-ups stretched all the way out on back, legs stay straight 
10 knees to chest, flat on back, arms out to side
10 candlesticks. Sim to above but legs come all the way up and u lean back on shoulders. Legs mostly stay straight
10 Squats
10 jump tucks
20 mountainclimbers. 2 feet =1

MOVEMENT
safety vault
Speed vault
Kong
Lazy 
Freestyle on cube...mostly crane for me, some safety

Stretch

NOTES
awesome class. Warmup run was long but that's Richard. Conditioning sounded horrible when he told us the whole thing before we did it but it was good. I did 90%. Shoulder still hurts on those funky pushups but I can do them slow. Body feels good. Getting used to the work. Getting easier. Brain still gives up sooner than body tho. Situps are no longer my bain, thank you Richard. 

Vaults felt good. Finally got the approach down to the step count. This helped a lot. Leading run with left leg is hard mentally. Conscious start and count, then launch with leg naturally. 

Speed vault is nearly there still have the safety tap. Hand lingers...push off and square shoulders. Work left foot landing more. Was just starting to really feel this and we spent a lot of time on it. 

Kong was fun. Never committed but got the hips up and the hands out. Mostly tried to stick the mount or practice the roll. I am ever the cautious planner. Safety first. Second time newbees were getting this but I am in no rush. I believe in muscle memory and second nature. Reflex and reaction. Non thought. The Tao. Anyway...

Lazy is not intuitive but has a predictable pattern. Lead with close foot, land with far foot (feet as seen from starting side of the vault) or land with close foot (as seen from landing side). So I guess it's counter intuitive. Focus on this; thief next. Did sort of a quick progression...throw leg and sit on top. Tutorial breaks it way down but this was good to jump into the feeling and bypass the fear reaction. 

Lead with head for kong. Dive. No fear. Body follows head. Think I'll work on monkey first to get the leg arm coordination going. 

Downward dog is FINALLY a resting position. 

GOALS
none really.  Keep going. Class 3 times a week. Crossfit after bootcamp. Solo once a week. Pullups to bathroom, goal of 5 clean. Get some decent shoes with no treads. Remember to stretch after play. Stay in love with being a mobile complex organic creation
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:27:16 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 01:12:24 AM »
ON SELF MOTIVATION 

Discipline with physical need for fitness can get easy. Addictive. I wonder how true that can be for creative need. Something that is so much more cerebral and unpredictable. Something so dependent upon mood and emotion. Physical need is real. It makes sense. Its palpable like hunger. How do I create a regular regimen for creative work that mirrors the discipline of a physical workout?

One variable is the supply of work itself. In an ideal world the architectural commissions would be as steady as the weather in Hawaii. Then design and production would flow as easily as a set of Parkour workouts inspiring the next set...as predictable and regular as the swell at Waikiki. Self perpetuating flow. 

So given that, what does it take to schedule and organize design? Or is it better left for the craving? Passion is power, but lack of structure wastes talent, so I guess more constants could set the construct. Discipline is required. Client meetings. Submittal deadlines. Time management. Due diligence as if it were conditioning. 

And then the movement is a momentary or even planned response to an obstacle. Work as thought is a natural progressive reaction to a problem we want to solve. And as we develop our skills we add more of our own touch and flavor. A finger print. Originality. Preference. Dominance. Individuality. Style comes as basic services become second nature...
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:49 AM »
2010.12.08 wed

Missed class due to extenuating circumstances

Long brisk walk
Light stretches
10 flat sit-ups
Pushups
Meant to work out at park but got lazy and it got dark

NOTES
shit day makes me look fwd to workout
Need movement. Dissolves stress. This is now a necessity. Even dramatic emotional responses are more short lived, even at extreme levels. This is kind of impressive. Human animal is independent. Caged human is just that. Lost with clipped wings and an unplugged isolated brain. 

Yet human animal recognizes gregarious traits and need for interdependence. Coach is a basic initial need. Passion replaces injected motivation but I think the habit needs to stick and enough skills need to be learned. Habit is not enough. Although things are transforming. Patterned thoughts are unravelling. New freer thoughts and creative will is coupling with an open mind. Body and mind are more closely linked. Body thought is easier. Forced physical microfocus has dropped away
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 09:01:32 AM »
LAZY VAULT NOTES

The urban current clan video breaks it down well but does not specify which foot To land with and this always helps me

Land with the foot you throw over the wall
3 step progression
• arm wt on wall
• arm and foot on wall
• hips over and 1,2 landing

Don't over think the arms and legs. It's an oblique approach so you just start with the arm and leg closest to the wall. That leg la da and the other arm pushes off. 

Simple but kind of counterintuitive if you are used to analysis upon approach

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hKM3hrEgRd4
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
ANKLE DIAGNOSIS

2 months after my sprain and I finally get to a foot doctor. 

Ankle is strong but I broke my os trigonum (steidas process) and have a little floating bone. No big deal. A bit of pain for certain movements but tendon and ligaments are fine
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
2010.12.10 FRI @ HA

Warmup 10 min run

GAUNTLET CONDITIONONG 
sideways QM (?) plank with pushup down and back
Cat QM down a d backwards
Broad jump burpees down and back
Croc walk down and back 
Lunge walk down and back x2
30 pushups (did 13)

20 min 

MOVEMENT
vault vault roll pattern 
Mostly safety x2 
Safety and monkey mount
Crane and watev
Mixed them up

Same pattern but vaults turned long ways
Lazy a d kong mount
Lazy and safety 
Mixed them up

30 min

NOTES
safety was feeling good. Could have do e speeds but training burned me out. I missed the sweet spot and was over tired for vaulting. Monday conditioning was perfect. Broad jump is awful. Maybe 3-4'

Lazy vault got nice flow but only did a handful. Hips up. Don't think. Back hand down. Right side is good. Left side needs work but I want to get the technique down first. Easy to sit on vault but that probably won't work outside

Bring the knee up on safety/sppeed. Still stutter stepping but trying not to. Break the muscle memory. Left foot lead run is still a challenge. General vault flow and speed a d grace is improving. I want to do them all 1000 times. 

Rolls are getting sloppy. Left side needs work. Piston arms. Had one bail in a roll that didn't go
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:34:15 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
PRESSUP DRILL ANALYSIS

http://hawaiipk.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=348&Itemid=1

I am trying to break these down so I can name them and separate them. The terminology here is as close as I could get to yoga poses but is not exact. 

1 pushup

2 plank to forearm plank (0:30)

3 chaturanga to forearm plank (0:36)

4 dolphin to chaturanga (0:45)

5 downward dog to dolphin to chaturanga (1:00)

6 downward dog to chaturanga to dolphin (same as above but reverse) (1:13)

7 DD to alternating forearm plank (1:21)

8 wide one sided pushup - alternating (1:42)

9 wide one sided pushup - continuous  (1:50)

10 bonus (2:00), (2:10)

11 combo (2:27)

12 pressup to handstand / V-up

DESCRIPTIONS
1 pushup - hands by shoulders

2 plank to forearm plank - forearm pushups. forearms flat, hands shoulder width just In front of head

3 chaturanga to forearm plank - elbow levers. on forearms w/ hands by ribs, to plank with hands just above shoulders. Butt up easier In chaturanga

4 dolphin to chaturanga - partial DD pushup. DD on forearms to chaturanga 

5 downward dog to dolphin to chaturanga - DD pushup, more like sliding in and out of chaturanga. Basically a rollercoaster

6 downward dog to dolphin to chaturanga - reverse DD pushup. 

7 DD to alternating forearm plank - DD pushup with elbows out. Bring head forward of hands and go around

8 wide one sided pushup - alternating. pushup w/ one arm flat, other 90degrees, alternate sides

9 wide arm pushup - continuous. circular. same in one direction instead of alternate

10 plyo pushup to lower level, add clap
 plyo tuck pushup, add 2nd and 3 Rd step

11 combo - 1, 3, 4, 6, 5, 8, forearm down and alt, 4, DD, pau

NOTES
2 dolphin is hands together but close enough

4 could be called dolphin to chaturanga to updog but I don't think Ozzi is intending an UD

5 this is what we are calling DD pushup but it's not really. could be called DD to dolphin to plank, but it's not really a plank. This is what revolution pk calls rollercoasters. Couldnt find a YouTube of it
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:29:46 PM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 01:04:39 AM »
2010.12.12 SUNDAY @ papakolea park

WARMUP
4 chinups
run: warmup shoulders, high knees, side shuffle, backwards, long strides, slow to squats, QM side monkey
QM cat, backwards, 
Gallop
kong walk

precisions on basketball ct using lines 
  6-7' or so standing
  8' or so with step
Precisions to steps and bench
Rolls with hop
2 handed vault on rail
Cat 
Underbar
Played a bit on a corner with steps, rail and bench...low

TOTAL TIME 1+ hr

NOTES
Tired from friday. Quads mostly. Running outside feels so hard after the gym floor. Was really hot. First half was good work but slowed down. Still not feeling the rail for vault. Want more time in the gym. Want to build portable vault and work in the grass on flat ground. Really want the vaulting muscle memory down before I go for it outside. Maybe that's silly. Not sure. 

Wantedto try thief but did t have the nerve. All planned vaults are based on safety. Even lazy is sim. But not feeling the tap with slick shoes on a rail

I am trying to make the parks adapt to me rather than me adapt to them and I know I shouldnt. But am taking care to write a workout prior to going and catered to what's there so I should have plenty of ideas but it's not the same when I show up. Maybe would be easier alone and with more conditioning and confidence under my belt. It's easy for conditioning but I am lazy and wantto work on vaults

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:08:06 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 03:28:16 PM »

FRIDGE INJURY

Pulled a muscle in my low back. Was bending over looking in the fridge and it gave out. Had a duck butt and had to go sit down which wasnt much better than standing. Feared it was my spine but I think am ok. Really painful and scary. Not like previous low back muscle pain. This was higher up same side

Am laying on floor. Stretching with ball and roller. Working on simple hip tilts. Like yoga for meditation. Childspose. Wendi did some massage and worked the spine kink out

Need to work on front core. Back core is tender from recent work. Core is generally weak but slowly getting better. Lose the belly and it will help align spine and take pressure off muscles.  Be careful. Focus on conditioning. Approach vaults and rolls with caution until body catches up with eager mind

Checked out my pics from 2 months ago and there is a noticeable difference. About 10lbs. Left upper body is getting stronger than right. Probably overcompensation for ankle even tho I have been alternating sides...mostly 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
2010.12.19 stretching at home

There are 5 or 6 basis basic stretches I am doing. 

So the chiropractor says no pk for a week or two. Pulled my back. Core is weak.  Ham strings are tight. Thank you office job. I think the ankle threw me off and made my body compensate. And weak core with hard conditioning hurt my back. And a spasm made it tweak. He recommends pilates instead of pk. I don't like the idea. I get it tho

But I do need to scale back and focus more on conditioning. Even tho that is what I was doing 80%. Now I get why in France they don't let you jumpmfor a year. 

To the pk community I am old. 34. And all the doctors reaching 50 talk of their pill popping habits and nagging pains. Say how we need continual maintenance starting at my age. Sad. But I went 15 years without any exercise. I am not surprised I am falling apart as I put myself back together. I can't keep up with teenagers and twenty somethings. 

I am fine with that. I have a lifetime of movement to look forward to. I just need the discipline to workout on my own so I get what I need. I love the HA vault work. I want to bring that outside as well. The hard part will be the motivation for solo conditioning

GOALS
Rehab back
Build portable vault
strengthen upper core with crunches, etc
Then lower core with leg lifts, etc
Develop AM or pau hana daily conditioning routine
Ramp back up to pk 2-3x/wk
Cardio solo to lose 5# (short term goal x3: 15# total)

Crossfit can wait a year or so
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 11:24:12 AM »
2010.12.24 non-movement update

Chiropractic and massage. No movement other than stability stretching. Walking as much as poss. Don't quite feel confident to go paddling as planned. Low back is super tight and needs constant attention. Body alignment is funky and changes daily. Diff muscles hurt depending. Keeps shifting. 

NOTES
Walking to work can ruin my day. Am learning my body. Anatomy. my office chair is the worst torture device. Need continual maintenance. Monthly massage. Chiro every couple/few mo. Got the go ahead to workout again after week and half of rest. Need a few months of core conditioning before I get fully back to free motion. 

Been eating like crap. So much holiday sugar at work. Lazy about wheat and starch at home. Want to get back to paleo or close. No mo beer. Wine for sugar instead. I miss the pk and workout buzz too. Grumpy and depressed

Been doing a lot of homework on core and conditioning movements and putting them together. Lots of analysis. So I have a routine when I get to any park whether it's a field or has play toys. Time to start the doing. Felt great to get outside yesterday. Turn the Multitasking brain off. Can't wait to get over the hump. 

GOAL
Don't rush stretch after workout...lengthen muscles and continue tension awareness 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
I think u miss me ;)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »
Oh yeah?

I do miss having a coach
For sexability and otherwise
Mostly otherwise

I bet your privates are expensive
...lessons, I mean
;)
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »

Paddle at san souchi

4 Pullups (Kipping) 
Never did that many in a row
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
Acroyoga at kapiolani park

Total time 1.5-2 hrs
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
2011.01.03 beachbody 10min trainer videos 

Week 1
Day 1
Cardio
Lower body
Abs

Total 30min

Notes
Skipped low abs work and replaced with upper. Low left back is super tight. Ham strings too
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
201.01.04 BB 10min trainer vid

Warmup
Total body
Cardio
Lower body
Cool down

30min

NOTES
workout is ok. I sweat more in HA conditioning. Less time but more work I guess. And I like the movements better...or at least the QMs and stuff. No room at home for that really. 

Might switch to p90x and do more less frequently. I can't study and workout and do it consistently. Would rather do an hour MWFS and study off days. It's only 3 months. Then core will be ready for full on PK, I will have my license, and if I meet my diet/workout plan I should be at my target wt by then. 

Not drinking is easy I guess. I don't miss it. Yet. 

Need to do PT. get Theraband. Funny how I am learning to repair as I build. We are complicated machines. Our minds are incredible. I hope that self-mastery through discipline will work for creative work and production as well as exercise and academics. Humans can be so unpredictable. And design can be such chaos. But I need some semblance of order to operate solo. 

Goals
Become independent
Of a company to employ me
Of a bank or landlord to house me
Of the grid to provide me utilities
Of gyms to provide motivation

Short term goals
Complete this week's schedule
Reward with wine and a Wendi date on wknd ;)
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »
2011.01.16 @ Maunalani playground
Jam

Warmup run:
3 times around the field 
Alternate sides of field with run, shuffle, backwards, crisscross, side monkey
Walk last time with arm stretches

Gauntlet warmup:
Run up stairs, QM down, 5 pushups
QM backwards up, QM down, 5 pushups
Couldn't do last round so held plank, downdog and horse

Movement:
Cat balance on wall, vault rail
Free style vault over and back on rail all the way down

Gauntlet movement:
I did my own thing since everyone else was doing more advanced stuff
Kong over low wall (2' or so) to roll, cat balance back (10' or so), repeat and alternate roll side
Palm spin progressions on table
Cat hang dynos

Time:
1 hour of movement (not including standing around)

Notes:
Didn't get far with the dynos. Takes more leg strength that anticipated. Work on the motion with just the legs. 

There is a mental barrier outside with rails. Walls are easier. Wider and no chance of foot getting caught. Low wall is nice. Grass is great. Safety vault on rails felt clumsy. Kong on wall felt good...super low and easy but roll was uphill so I needed a lot of momentum to get up running. 

Don't eat a heavy breakfast an hour before. 2 hours ok. Small breakfast one hour before ok. 

Back feels fine. Will do pk once a week and core workout 3 times a week In evenings. Move to mornings when tests done. 

It's been weeks since I have done regular training other than random Pressup drills and Pullups. Back on the island now and ready for routine. 

Goal:
Be creative when on own in parks. Use what is there. Be disciplined. Pick an exercise and work it for min number of sets or minutes and move on. Short breaks only. Stay focused. Mourn  
Motion for motion's sake