Author Topic: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)  (Read 38168 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »
2011.11.30 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP
run, joints, bounce with drop and tuck jump

CONDITIONING
QMs fwd and back, stopping between steps to balance
10x fwd bkwd in a half step
Same other side
Plank QMs

MOVEMENT
Hang Lache progression
side Lache, swinging arms straight, back
Side, sliding arms bent, back
Body perpendicular to bar hand over hand arms straight, back
Same thing arms bent, back
Pullup to chest from that position (body aligned with bar)
360 traverse, back
6x 6xpushups, 11s handstand
3x 11xpushups, 22s handstand
5x 5xhandstand pushups. Did 10 last set

MEDITATION
visualization 
20-25 minutes

NOTES
light night. Didnt need a stretch. I feel great. Lache felt mostly pretty good. Better than ever. Coordination is there on side traverses. Other direction not so good. Gotta work on legs counterbalancing to eliminate circular swing. Leg got scratched up pretty good on thorn bush. Caluses are better. Stayed in tact for 90% and rip wasn't bloody deep. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »
2011.12.05 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
run

CONDITIONING
11 sets of
10x jumping squats
Run, vault
10x pushups
Run jump roll

MOVEMENT
Gate vault progression on low wall
Gate vault from high back side of garbage enclosure, pop out
Drilled that
Safety/turn vault in, pop and gate out
Butt to turn to kind of cat...lazy turn vault
Went to lazy vault 
Drilled that
Flow x7 or so
From back side pop, safety pop gate
run

STRETCH

NOTES
gate vault is fun. Got right side pretty well. Didn't try other side but I feel confident about the technique to go play with it. That vault is the highest we've done to concrete landing. Feiyues offer zero cushion. Concentrating on my landings left me with a heel bounce on one and tender balls of the feet. I didn't try the lazy vault. Intimidating at that height but it looks easy enough. May even be easier than a over a rail as you kind of shoot straight down and land on all 4's. Feeling kind of lackluster. Low energy a bit. Had a mellow weekend. flow was good and I committed to every movement. You can't let your guard down with those shoes. Gate vault smacks down pretty hard on the feet. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »
2011.12.07 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
joints on grass
Random sets of 10x pushups
Pushup and roll over to pushup
Pk circular
DD elbow pushup to plank and back
One arm pushups from DD 
Various
Box jump to side QM down along both side of wall and back

MOVEMENT
5x drill at 6 stations, then put flow together x5
•Vault to table, cat to column and traverse 
•Pop to high wall, safety dismount down to conc
•Kong to low wall, thief to high wall and dismount down to roll
•kong to safety over corner of low wall
•thief vault down from high part by road/two handed sim to kong to roll...took roll out of flow
•kong up wall from road, vault down
Link all for flow

STRETCH
10 min guided meditation

NOTES
I can't believe how time is just flying by. Mom's birthday today. This one is for you. Good class. Mellow warmup and great movement. Tired. Core is burned out. Not beat like the flow classes when we just take off. Box jumps to low wall are getting there. High Landings with Feiyues are improving. Rolls feel great both sides. Kongs are getting there...height is improving, but low ones are still a challenge on the approach...dive...footing for takeoff. Low back is tender. Need to continue to eliminate extraneous steps between elements. Still making progress. Worked some pops before class. Got first one with feet to center. The sweet spot on these shoes is small
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2011, 11:24:31 PM »
2011.12.11 SUNDAY KOKOHEAD HIKE
with Wendi

Nice mellow hike. Good opportunity for movement at the top. Lots of rusted metal too. Feiyues are great for hiking. Mostly it's railroad ties all the way up. Did some long rail balances on the train rails on the way up and most of the way down. I like the trestle part. Did rails there. Vision and control is improving. Depth perception and coordination. Trusting you eye foot coordination. Did some precisions down to ties but the sand makes it kinda slippery. Lower legs were getting a bit like jelly which makes it more of a challenge. Had some fun sprints up. Did some mounting vaults at top. Core strength is gettin there. When other muscles are tired, core still has endurance. 

Didn't have time for the beach after. Have to go to the Company Christmas party. Yay. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
2011.12.12 MONDAY CLASS

WARMUP
Run

CONDITIONING
10 burpees, 30 mountain climbers, 10 jump squats 
Burpees: drop to plank in one move if can, no pushup, jump
Jump squats: putting hands down
100 reps (3 sets + 1 set of 10 burpees) nonstop cardio
Did a couple sets to warmup
The idea is 10's. But Mountain climbers are 123, 223, 323, 423, ... So it seems like a set of 10
10x 4 wall pullups from cat, 4 dips
Can do jumping climbup to get to dip position. 

MOVEMENT
Progression to running precision on wall by ward, clearing sidewalk
Crane from curb
Crane clearing sidewalk
Crane no hands
Crane without safety foot...eventually both feet on wall
All with split foot takeoff
Can try as precision with two foot takeoff 
Precision to curb from wall back or vault back

STRETCH

NOTES
still can't get to climbup from cat. I need to try it from a running cat. And need to work climbups. Still so weak on those. Got the precision on the wall from the curb but caught one foot. Nearly bailed. Didn't get past the crane. It's mental. The curb make the wall seem farther or smtg. I didnt really challenge myself. Found I was floundering and reverted to the progression and worked reps. It got me back to where I knew I was. But I want to be farther. Frustrating. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
2011.12.13 TUESDAY CLASS

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
4x? 8x? Zig zag run on steps fwd and bkwd, pop up wall
Side QM, pop
QM bkwd along top step
2x QM dn fwd and up bkwd, pop up wall
QM fwd along top step
Did so much back and forth I lost count
15 or 20x Plyo pushups down 2 steps, push back up
5x kong QM up bkwds and back dn steps

MOVEMENT
A few to half dozen times per movement as usual
Jump to seat, sketchy stealthy over tables
Vault to seat, safety
Butt roll
Half vault on table, other foot thru
Half vault on table, other foot over so you spin around
Cart wheel style vault switching sides
Monkey stall to table, safety thru...Did a bunch of these
Palm spin on corner, palmspin
Other side
Palm spin to bkwd palm spin, same on other table
Other side
150x jump tucks

STRETCH

NOTES
RIP uncle Seamus. This one is for you. Hard conditioning. I wouldnt have followed thru all of it solo. Dripping with sweat. Super wet tables for movement. Barefoot. Fear is a big obstacle. Monkey stalls over seat felt good once I committed
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:39:26 AM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »
2011.12.14 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
joints, light muscle warmup
Gauntlet by bathroom:
Kong QM up big white steps, run to low white wall, QM on wall, safety vault/palm spin up and over column, waist shimmy along wall, traverse ledge, pop up wall, safety/spin on column again, vault down

MOVEMENT
Pop vaults up columns to waist catch
Started on low one with the low wall at the lifeguard tower
Moved to higher one about 4-5" above highest reach

Flow: From palm trees by bathroom, kong on low wall, kong back up,  thief vault up and around high wall to drop, tic tac off wall, pop up, running precision from high to low wall to kong dismount down, kong over low wall back to palm trees
Did a shadow of this...one lead, one follow, and one caterpillar with all 7 of us

STRETCH
as usual, so I'm gonna drop this section unless I do smtg special

NOTES
I'm sore from 100 pushups yesterday morning. Bruised the ball of my right foot yesterday. Left big toe is still kinda tweaked. Couldn't get up the high column. Slipped off one time and pushed myself out of the way avoiding a face smash. Got up the low one both sides. Kip coordination is getting better but i still need to will it. spin on top of that column was scary. It's small and high. 

Was a hard and humbling week. A lot of stuff I couldn't get too well. Not sure if I am progressing but I probably am. Keep pushing forward. Only you can measure your own success. Validation is not necessary. That's ego. Even mentorship isnt necessary if you can analysize and set your own path. But I do think training with people helps. Being shadowed helps you focus and push yourself
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
2011.12.19 MONDAY SESSION AT ALA MOANA
with Tim and Joe

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
•Joints, bouncing, etc
Basically 4 rounds of 25 precisions and 50 QM, but did more QMs than that:
•6x Precisions up steps and back down, QM to other wall, pop (QMs alternated: fwd, bkwd, side, other side, kong fwd, kong bkwd)
•3x 10 monkey stalls and pushups

MOVEMENT 
Kong vaults

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hrs

NOTES
Class is on Xmas hiatus. Have a bit of tendinitis in left knee and a right elbow. Knee is worst. Tiny bit in other elbow. Should probably do more conditioning. And work landings more. Mellow session. Didn't really get the sweat up much for movement part. Warmup was average. Kongs were fun. Worked progressions and coached. Joe konged the table and was stoked. It was fun. I miss my solo sessions but it's nice to train and not be in class. Makes me feel independent. Makes me feel the need to push myself. Challenge. Flow. Move. Drill technique. Analysize. Repeat. Love it. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
2011.12.21 WEDNESDAY SOLO SESSION AT ALA MOANA

WARMUP
Sand

CONDITIONING
10 sets of
10x jump squats, run, 10x pushups, run back

MOVEMENT
palm spins
Monkey stall to rock, Precisions from rock to rock to ground
Vaults at wall by ward side
Cats to wall 

Didnt STRETCH

TIME
1 hr

NOTES
Natural movement session at rocks. pretty lackluster session. Im getting bad habits from work...lazy. Having people to train with helps. The boulders are totally different than walls.  It got super dark...shortest day of the year. The surfaces are different but distances seem closer. I want my frees for that. Energy isn't great. All the Christmas junk - the office is coming down with it - is eating my energy. And we haven't been eating well at home. It kills my explosive power. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
2011.12.26 MONDAY SOLO KOKOHEAD 

TIME
1:10 car door to car door. 35 minutes or so going up, 10 minutes or so at the top, apple banana  down mostly non stop, coconut water. Faster going down. 

NOTES
Ab it harder than I remembered. Throat a d lungs felt it most from huffing. Legs are like jelly. I stopped at least a dozen times going up on the mid section. Ran the first section up. Did t do any rail balance. Monkey vaulted up the big steps and precisioned them on the way down. Wore my frees. I like the cushion and feel but there sensitivity is not the dame as the Feiyues, which gave me more confidence landing on the edges of the ties on the way down with the ball of my foot. Frees made me want to land with my mid foot. 

It was fun. Especially going down. I ran a good part of it or was at least doing high knees to I just had an hour and a half window while Wendi was in hawaii Kai so it was a perfect opportunity to do it fast. Could have gone faster...but not much. Haven't trained hard for a while so my edge is a bit rusty. I feel fat and sluggish from the Christmas feast. Was in need of some movement. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
2011.12.28 WEDNESDAY SESSION AT ALA MOANA
with Niko, joe and Neil

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
5 sets: 10x jump squats, QM to ocean, 10x pushups, QM back
3 sets: 5x wall pullups, 10x monkey stalls
First set was 10 pullups

MOVEMENT
Monkey vaults
Landings
Low impact dismounts
Pop vaults
Thief dismounts at high wall
Some rolls
Some wall runs to 180

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hr

NOTES
Had a nice session. Trained Niko mostly. It's fun to train with people. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2011, 10:16:03 PM »
2011.12.29 THURSDAY AT ALA MOANA
with Niko

WARMUP/CONDITIONING
Bounce, joints
25x knee ups ea leg
3 sets of 10x incline pushups, vault to top of wall
Agility drills on wall:
Shuffle up and down, walk back
Half vault, QM back
Box jump up, vault down
Plank
Other side

MOVEMENT
10x Two handed vault over wall down to steps, back up
10x precisions up and down steps
QM to other wall
Other side

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hr

NOTES
Mostly conditioning. About rep 3 on set 2 of precisions i was hurting. Finished it with QMs. Wanted to work pops and drops on big wall to sand but back was too sore. think I Hurt my low back again. Tight and sore. Precisions seemed to do it. Vaults were nice and easy. Showing Niko the ropes. He hurts from his first session every. He didn't finish the conditioning
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:43:39 PM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
2011.12.30 FRIDAY SUP and BACK CARE
Had the day off. mellow paddle. Back Is sore. QL right side. Not as bad as last time but I really had to be careful. Iced and stretched. Planning a mellow session tomorrow. QMs and maybe some chill vaulting. Maybe some upper body work. Some running 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
2012.01.01 SUNDAY LANIKAI  PILLBOX
ate some brownies with Paula, Niko, and Wendi. Did hike. Lots of fun. Beach after. I wanted to grow a Billygoat beard. Love my Feiyues. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2012, 11:54:25 PM »
2012.01.04 WEDNESDAY CLASS

WARMUP
Bouncing on steps
Squat shuffle sideways along steps a few times
Same but super slow
Same with crossing ninja feet
50x Pitter-patter steps...up up dn dn, that's 1. 
Same sideways crossing front and back
Other side
50x jump ups straight legs
Same with hands behind back
5 sets of:
10s run on spot, 10 wide squats, 10s rest

CONDITIONING
5x 20 pushups with 15s rest
5 sets of:
5s run on spot, 5x wide squats, frog jumps

MOVEMENT
Flow by baseball field. Thief style vault up over corner of medium wall, kong up, dismount down
A dozen or so

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hr

NOTES
feeling strong lately. Balance bracelets are helpful. Probably left some stuff out. Fun class. About a 7 or 8. Box jumps finally felt like I got it. Was doing more of a monkey stall before at times but tonight I had more of a precision to bounce back move where I will never hit my shins. Vault is leaning fwd. This is leaning back. 

It's been an eating and drinking fest. I was 165 for a couple days running a week ago. Now I'm over 170 for a couple days! Before that I was a solid 168. Still aiming for 160. First movement technique is high for that. Kind of a kong and a lazy vault. I feel Motivated to move lately. Lanikai pillbox was fun. I love this island. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
2012.01.07 SATURDAY SESSION AT ALA MOANA
with some of the pk community

WAARMUP/CONDITIONING
2 sets of
10 monkey stalls
10 Pk pushups
Leg thru agility
QM
box jump to vault 
20 pushups
30 squats

MOVEMENT
Some pops, drops, balance work, rail squats, laches, reverse drills, parallel bar butt spin work (new!)
Flow thru trees, cat to tic tac, cat traverse, cat climbups
2-step tic tacs off column

STRETCH

TIME
3.25 hrs

NOTES
It's nice to train in daylight for a change. Feeling pretty lazy today. Tired I guess. Don't feel like working in general. Had 2 3-day weeks and the family just left after 2 weeks. Need to build the discipline. Or at least stick around and spend more time to get the work done if I'm stuck in 3rd gear.  I tend to get thru the warmup and want to stop. Took me about 45 min to get thru it. Then i wasnt feeling inspired Even tho I'm around some inspiring movement. I even made a list if ideas and none of it looks appealing. Back is kind of tender which is limiting. Parallel bars were fun. Working on a move to drill the back hand on a thief drop. thinking of doing a Pk petcha kucha.

feeling strong and getting stronger. I'm definitely still in a strength-building stage of my practice. I get a totally different view of people's practices at jams than at class. I have a solid conditioning regimen and pretty regular practice. I think I need a partner for arch practice. Or some serious discipline. discipline is easier when there is passion for the practice (arch & pk), but hard work is still hard work. Did a lot of hanging out this session. Feeling good in general. Mellow. Maybe it's not laziness. Maybe it's dedication; To stay with the flow, no matter the strength of the current...especially when its easy to get out. There is aloha here, and it helps

GOALS
none to speak of other than general direction forward and self directed spontaneous training. Want to run distances and track it my my Nike plus. Lose 5-10 lbs. Run a mile plus to train and run back. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »
2012.01.12 THURSDAY SOLO AT ALA MOANA

WARMUP
Run to the park from work. About 1/2 - 3/4 mile
Joint and leg warmup

CONDITIONING
at wall by baseball area
3 sets of
5x QM up wall, palm spin at top, strides dn
10x monkey stalls on table, knees in
10x wall dips facing away

MOVEMENT
Did a couple pops on a tree but it was super dark and sketchy
Kongs on wall by bathroom/sidewalk

TIME
Just shy of an hour and a half

NOTES
Boot camp was going on but i didnt want to join. Mellow session. Conditioning got me sweaty tho. My back is still sore so I was taking it easy. It hurt after the last session. I think it was the pop vaults. I'm Not feeling so inspired. I need to plan more these days for movement. Conditioning always comes easy. But conditioning for certain movement can drive things. Still feeling pretty lazy from having visitors. Going to Kauai tomorrow. Worked late this week so I didn't work out. Did 50 pushups last night with a bunch of stretching just to do something. I need to test myself. And have more creativity sessions. I like solo, but I like training with people. And I mean train, not goof around. I'm competitive and I want to learn. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
2012.01.14 SATURDAY WATERFALL HIKE 
With Wendi, Alice and Beth

Hoopii falls. 2 falls. Truly awesome hike. Had some great movement. Monkey stalls onto rocks, kongs overtrees, safety vaults over slippery trees, speed vaults, cat balance on limbs, Precisions on rocks and over water, trail running. Love my feiyues. 

beers at donkey beach. Some good movement potential there. Crashed a resort at Hanalei bay...pool and spa. Bitchin sunset. Had a nice Sunrise on the east shore. Absolutely love Kaua'i. There are real people here. Mana and aloha. 

Started out mellow and turned into a great day. We were going to hike to hanakapiai valley. I was stoked to see the Na'pali coast but they had food poisoning. We will see what tomorrow holds. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
2012.01.18 WEDNESDAY SOLO AT ALA MOANA

WARMUP
joints, bouncing, etc

CONDITIONING
50x knee ups
QM fwd
10x box jumps
QM bkwd
10x ploy monkeys
QM side
3 sets of 10 monkey stalls w/ QM in between

MOVEMENT
50x precision to curb, only count the ones you stick
7.5 feet
Running Precisions to bollard at wkk entrance, strides

STRETCH

TIME
1.5 hrs

NOTES
Mellow night. Counting Precisions really matters. Enjoyed my session. I had success once I planned. I can wing it sometimes but was having trouble lately. Needed to plan this one. I wanted to do the height Precisions at the bowling but was a bit wobbly. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
2012.01.21 SATURDAY LANIKAI PILLBOX HIKE
with Alice, Beth & Wendi

Fun hike. No brownies this time so it was a more real experience in a physical way...a different way. I wanted to go a lot faster. Did as much movement as I could. Mostly Precisions and mounts. Some cats on the pillbox. I like natural movement more and more. Abs are good and sore from my precision workout. I'm getting a good sense of what actions require what muscles and which ones affect my QL the most. 
Motion for motion's sake