Author Topic: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)  (Read 31712 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
Ok so this is my training journal.

I just started training...am in my third (?) week so pretty basic. More conditioning at this point and working on the basics. Starting with yesterday's training and not looking back farther than that, altho more of the vaulting, precisions and technique was before this first entry.

My body needs a lot of work to get up to the point where I can focus more on the fun stuff so this will make for some boring reading if anyone is looking at this...at least for a few months I think. It's been 15 years since I was regularly active (highschool!). So I have some catching up to do.

Here goes...
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Training Journal (Hawaii)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »

WEDNESDAY
@ HA

TIME
1 hr

WARMUP

some light jogging, shuffle step jogging

CONDITIONING

just me in class so i really got it.

squat walk, over then turn and back

front bend step with palms on ground, over and backwards

moneky walk, over and backwards

monkey walk (straight forward) with one leg, over and backwards; switch legs

monkey walk (straight forward) with one arm, over and backwards; switch arms

50 jump squats (20+15+15)

rest in plank pose

50 cruches (20+15+15)

15 pushups with hands on pad as part of rep

more that i am forgetting...maybe total of 35-40 min?

DRILLS

balance beam work:

cat balance [first time], over and backwards

door swing walk, over and back

one leg hop with assisted foot touch in back, over and backwards

speed drills with giant poofs, over and back, over and backwards, variations...

cat balance, over and back

COOLDOWN

shoulder and quad stretches. ankle too sore for sitting on knees to bend back, so did one leg out other leg bent back on floor, lean back on elbow. butterfly, other stretching. downward dog, hilds' pose, pigeon...

NOTES

quads=ouch. need to work on flexibility overall but mostly legs and back...try to stay lower in QM drills. core wasn't as weak as i had expected. i was really tired, not much for breaks so i drank a lot of water...too much. 2 weeks since sprain. ligament feels better but still being careful. achilles pain...maybe this is tightness? need stretch. lost 3 lbs in last month. total of 13lbs in last 4 1/2 months. QM starting to feel more natural. balance beam was harder than anticipated but got confidence at end.

class on monday showed me i can work on advanced elements (kong!) at babystep level; jump with both feet on surface, pause, and practice basic landing. didn't do kong but i was able to join the line up with a sprain. am seeing things in pieces now; start small and see everything as accessible if you break down the parts. i don't even have the safety vault down yet so i'm not saying i am "vaulting" yet...working on movements...

GOALS

lose min 20 more lbs and fine tune down another 5-10 over next 6 months-year. add another training day to the week on fridays. try solo or with wendi...jog to park and do some conditioning, don't plan too much...try some drills on whatever i find. swim more and paddle on weekends. try longboarding when ankle feels 100%.

make more specific focused goals!
here's one: stretches, pushups, pullups, crunches and QM's, maybe some squats and lunges, bouncing, etc on days not going to class, maybe in evening after pool...workout 4-5 days a week, active 6-7

start going to jams
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
WEDNESDAY 10.27.10 @HA

skipped Monday due to Fam issues

Light job warmup
No stretching

CONDITIONING
Flow training thru simple course if a handful of movements ending in cat grab with MU
constant movement to keep heart rate up
Probably 35 min

DRILLS
Same thing with breaks and group analysis

Total >1.5hr

NOTES
endurance sucks
Ankle still sore, ligament strong...maybe tendon? Getting X-ray and seeing pod. Not used to coordinating hand to land on certain foot. The move before this is the driver. If you plan to land on good foot try rolling with other lead or sim.
Flow was fun, not so much predetermined but was limited so tended to do same elements
MU is easier with use of legs. Right side drags. Work on this with conditioning.

Focus is easier than anticipated but muscle memory is worse for creating ruts than planning next moves. Fix by changing sides and change approaches...stride vs double foot jump

GOALS
workout daily. Jog. QM. Swim felt good at sharks cove and getting out of water was fun getting blasted by waves and holding all wendi's gear while she got out. She got an applause from shore watchers but I was clinging to Rock. Lots of fun. More of this.

Work on strides and limit stutter step. Found power in stride jump for certain applications. I can jump farther than I think and my rolls are improving their followthru
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:23 PM »
Wendi and i resolve to do SOMETHNG on the pullup bar everytimemwe pass it

Her goal is to do one dead lift pullup even tho she has been doing trapeze for a couple years. Note the guns. My goal is to get over the dread and enjoy the umpf
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
Nice paddle at ala moana this afternoon. Good tail wind. Head wind on the way back was manageable. Nice and quite. Jelly fish come tomorrow so that must have been why. Nice to get out there again

Ankle felt good but tendon is still sore. Walked to Chinatown yesterday. Ankle felt hot but was ok. Way back felt tiers and sore. Must have been about five miles
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »
Monday 11.01.2010 @ HA

WARMUP
dynamic stretches:
Slide strides forward and back x 5
Same with more of a hop
Same with high knees
Hold plank
Negative pushup x5

CONDITIONING
QM forward and back a few times
Did a bunch of QMs...may miss some here
QM's forward with a hand step right and left. Cross over hand to step. Not foot Forward a few times Diagonal across floor all right, side step, repeat other side so you loop the floor with continuous flow Maybe four times around room Sideways plank style QM with hand crossover

DRILLS
Kong progressions on vault followed by roll and various choose your own adventure mats and balance beams back to vault Worked on some cat balance 

COOL DOWN
stretch

TOTAL TIME 1hr

NOTES
not keeping up with class on kongs but am being mindful of ankle. Hurts all the time except during pk class! Love it. Feeling more comfortable about faster approach and bigger takeoff at vault. Still pausing at top. We worked on pushing off with one foot like skater. Then pushing off with hands instead. I never got there but am making progress. 

Oh when I was stretching I remembered a kickass dream I had about swimming with a turtle. So cool

Not doing so hot at remembering pullups. Keep forgetting. 

lost a couple more pounds. that's a total of 15 since june

GOALS
workout daily. This is a necessity. And is not too much I think. Maybe daily during week with fun stuff on wknd. I should add another day to HA Next time. Or add Friday anyway. Thinking about elements in jan. CF+bootcamp in feb. Wonder if I can handle it

REALLY need to practice QM. So simple. Serious work. 

Really thinking about CF+HA. four days plus open gym at HA. Paddle sat. Hike sun. Rinse later repeat. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:55:43 PM by AndrewL »
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »
MONDAY 11.03.10 @ HA

WARMUP
light running, shuffle run, backwards run, high knees run, walk with high jump, walk lunges, walking toe touches, walking high jumps with full landing

DRILLS
upperbody:

Wide arm pushups 1?x20

Pullups 3x5

Plyo tuck pushups (?) 3x5

Rope climb x3

Wide arm plank 20count, 20count, 15 count, 10count, 5count

Situps 1x20

Something else...can't remember

NOTES
ran out of time for lower body conditioning and vault type techniques. Boo
Situps so suck. Rope climb is humbling. Didn't get 2 feet but I understand the technique. Don't KNOW it. Seems like best to regrip every step with leg wrap.

Pullup with Kip. Embarrassing. Jesus. Barely did one. But hang if can't. f#ck it. Needs serious work. Pushups need work. The basics need work.

Ankle has plateaued. Annoying. Ice more. Stretch. Wish we got to do QM

GOAL
try for half hour work on basics off days until CF.
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
2010.11.06 with jordan on maui in haiku

WARMUP
Jog and shuffle and backwards run warmup
Highjumps with landing drills

CONSITIONING
QM cat walk forward and backwards
Same one arm
Same with roll

DRILLS
landing basics from 2' box
Jump up basics to box
Jump up, step, land as progression
Same with flow
Same adding a roll
Same without step in between and introducing diving roll
Jump ups to platform with hand assist
Suspensions with shurgs and swings
Kipping pullups
Cat balance...didn't get far...not much to work with

COOLDOWN
stretching

Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »
Notes
Not much to work with. Well that's not true. There is tons of stuff to do but no walls or rails or trees with limbs...not even a slanty palm. One big vault and two small boxes would go a long way. The work bench would be perfect but a big deal to move.

Tree line with mulch would be good for QM cone drills.

Railroad tie retaining wall would be good for balance (pretend one side is a drop).

Upside down wheel barrow was good for platform to jump onto and down from. Not for vaulting but could be good for jumpng over. Bottom chord of garage truss good for suspension. Stood on safe for stability. Bench was good for platform jumps.

Do some jump square today. On bench
QM at tree line
Balance on ret wall
Jump from deck to gravel planter 3'
Walking squats
Raking after overdue mow was good upperbody warmup
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
2010.11.08 MON @ HA

WARMUP
run, stretch shoulders, shuffle run, backwards run, high knees, switch directions on command, walk long strides and broad jump with tuck, same etc

CONDITIONING
QM cat walk and backwards, neg pushup x2 Repeat QM crab walk Hold horse Repeat these QMs Hold v sit

Team pushup to shoulders
Team of 3, hold plank while they pushup
Set of 10...ouch

DRILLS
safety vault and 2 precisions on pads
Plank or horse while waiting
20'min

COOLDOWN
Downward dog
Childs pose. Arm under, face on floor
Downward dog pushups...down on elbow, slide forward to pushup bent arm, that's half.
Pigeon, reach back for foot, switch hands. Pigeon, switch sides Lay face down arms out. Leg up and over other, hand to sky. Switch, downward dog Standing toe touch, breathe up, collapse to one side, breathe up, switch sides,...toe touch and exhale up

NOTES
work on pushups. Upper body is not what it used to be. I love QM. Feel like an animal. Precision jumps have way little power and balance is strikingly less than what I expected. Been a month since the sprain (DOING JUST THIS) and I forgot how much harder this is than it looks. Jump was not far but had to reset every time

Vault was meh. Needs work. I let go and tried the bad ankle landing. Felt good. So I let go more and just did what foot came first but still did the stutter step. Body needs to unlearn that.

Roll...get good at both sides and drill from directional landing. One side is alwYs more logical from a landing so focus on best flow for going into a roll. Pickup momentum is ok with roll. Could be more fluid once on feet to turn and redirect energy with run.

Roll:
Right shoulder down, smell left armpit.

GOALS
workout more for fun. With friend is best. Natural. Motivation is easy.

Felt great not taking the weekend off. Felt good to create a custom workout to fit environment, fitness levels, muscle groups...
Try the park one day a weekend for an hour

Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:32 PM »
FRIDAY 10.11.12 @ HA

WARMUP
standard with added progression of QM 
Not gonna spell out warlike anymore 
I have enough to go from and enough creativity to mix it up

CONDITIONING
1,000,000 pressups and variations
Ozzi must have watched that super ninja pushup YouTube
Did that crawling QM with the arm slide   Nice move. Try it more
Downward dog pushups
Hold plank to elbows down and back
Work on these
35 min to this pt. 30-40

MOVEMENT
Random course lineup
Not many rounds
Tag. 

COOLDOWN

NOTES
pushups so hard! Maybe I never had this as a strength. Maybe just bench and maxing. Do these daily with pullup variations. 

Tag was good. Blank mind. Adaptive body. Lots of laughs. Some don't get it but it's fun to watch and everybody had a good time. It really takes the cannedness out Of the vaults. Movement becomes natural and elements blend into fluid physical thought. Remember to look up and aim a little more for the horizon. 

Never had a yoga buzz from a class but now I think I know what it is. Awesome class. I love moving my body. Feels good to be a human. Don't know how society got this far gone. Where are the playgrounds with vaults? Isn't this obvious?!?

My architecture will have carefully placed walls and rails to inspire the humans. 

GOALS
small ones. Pushups daily. Pullups. Work on handstands with Wendi in the park tomorrow and do some fun stuff. Paddle this weekend. Hike? Waterfall. Movement seminar Sunday. Continue to move and get low to the ground and breathe and be aware and feel alive. I refuse to die in a hospital or live in a cage. Life is what you make it. So make it. 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
And my ankle really hurts. Maybe fracture? Was supposed to have  x ray today but had to cancel
Ice
Swim
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
Continue to move and get low to the ground and breathe and be aware and feel alive. I refuse to die in a hospital or live in a cage. Life is what you make it. So make it. 

Thanks  for being part of my journey.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
Word. Thanks for breaking it down into chewable chunks
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
SUNDAY 11.14.2010
MOVEMENT WORKSHOP at ala moana

Over 4 hours of movement. Lots if conditioning. 

Cat hang 
Wall climbs
Safety vault
Speed vault

Gauntlet. Lots of waist catches or whatever you want to call them. Wall drops. 

Press up drills again. Not used to these yet. Rotor cuff hurts. Do some phys ther for this. Ankle needs glut help. Work on squats
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
MONDAY 10.11.15 @ HA

Lots of tumbles on long tramp. Dizzy. Backwards tumbles. Hit my head really hard before I got these. Was sick for a day. Rolling made me nauseous. 

Worked on cranes
Love these. 

Need rest to let head recover. Thanksgiving coming. Travelling
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »

WORKOUT
Nice class at HA
newbees and me after thanksgiving...just what I needed after two weeks of slovenly human blob to ease back in

Jog, touch end and return
High knees forward and back
Shuffle run back and forth 
Shuffle job in circle with FB stance 
Circle jog with high jump and landing
Planks and such
QM?

Drills over flat pads in a long line
• dancing step up and down for agility. Back foot goes up first, fore foot follows and you do a few steps per pad. Flow onto next pad
• jump step up onto pad with body centered
•'same with body leaning over fully to other side
• similar with hands on pad. Walk hands one in front of the other
• sim with more momentum forward / straight
•'sim with more momentum to the side
•'sim with forward momentum and one vault per pad

Vaulting drills sim to previous
moved on to 2/3 vault 
Variations
Mount version with precisions 

Stretch

NOTES
fun vault. Not sure if it has a name. Monkey vault feels good at low level, eg one flat pad. Easier to open knees when that low. Really sweaty. But no pain. Lots of mid ab work for those agility drills. 

No pain, no gain is bs. Sweat and fun = plenty of gain. Coordination and conditioning. 

GOALS
feb bootcamp and min 2 classes a week. Band phys ther exercises for shoulder. Think I may have hurt it almost a year ago overdoing vaults for the first time. Feels like rotator cuff.  Hope it's not torn. Try wrist phys ther. Figure out ankle. TAKE CARE OF BODY. 

Do solo or meetup min once a week. I have tons of ideas of movements and things I want to work on. Really wantto do rails. Want to vault. Slow vault. Controlled propulsion. 

Join crossfit after bootcamp.

Do APK WOD on off days
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »
2010.12.01 wed at HA

long warmup jog maybe 5-7 min
QMs
And then the blueballs of gymnasium Parkour:
The fitness test

A f#cking complete and utter waste of time and money.
I had a sh#t day at work (should have worked late instead) and looked forward to unwinding but now I'm just pissed off. After a day of corporate office douchbaggery I need to feel less like an underpaid slave to the man and more like a biped who lives on an 8,000,000 year old volcano in the middle of the ocean. But now I just feel like a standardized cog who knows how long my feet are, the distance from my balls to the floor when i do the splits, and how many pullups I cant do with a block in my lap. How fantastically pointless. 

I don't even care that I can't climb a rope in the seated position. That holds zero frustration for me. I am over meaningless grade school gym class bullish#t. I want to work on conditioning, technique, movement, vaulting. Instead I got the fundamental opposite of what I am paying to learn. 
And poor Peter Parkour (first class covering for Ozzi) thinks we hate him for administering something that georges Herbert and erwan lecorr would probably refuse to do. Its not the instructor's fault they have to follow the rules but this SHOULD NOT be a substitute for a paid class. 

I could rant for 10000 more words about this but I won't. I even saved the moderator the time and censored myself with pound signs. 

Now I really need a workout. Maybe I'll go for a swim

GOALS
do something worthwhile 
Perform movement that has actual value
If this were jeet kun do I would delete the fitness test for lack of efficiency and value
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »
DIET NOTES

Interestingly enough I noticed a change in performance even during my warmup jog based on food intake the last 24 hours. Those 6 martinis and 2 slices of pizza did not do me any good. Felt like crap after, not hungover except maybe the second hand smoke, but just undernourished.

I lost steam quickly and did t have the same spark. Muscles fatigued earlier as well in QMs. May have been lag from Monday after two weeks off but I blame the garbage fuel. 

Too many beers the night before and Italian food didn't help either. I preferred eating closer to paleo. More consistent energy and digestion, not to mention it tastes better and goes down easier. More Stable sugar even with frequent beers and bread a few times a week

Thanksgiving was an unavoidable binge that I am looking forward to putting farther in the rear view. Can't wait til Wendi is back to shop and cook. Amazingly I didn't gain any wt 
Motion for motion's sake

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »
2010.12.01 Fitness test ab work recap
Ab work left me feeling good for days
I want more

Actual work:
Lay on back witharms and legs up, Rock 60s
Same on stomach...did other stuff in between