Author Topic: Learn from my mistakes  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Daniel Downs

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Learn from my mistakes
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
So today I found myself in the position where i needed to take a fall of about 10 feet. The ground was relatively even and soft due to the grass, but perhaps because I've never taken a fall that big or it was getting dark, I ended up screwing up the roll, scraping myself up and ending up with a healthy dose of soreness.

Take a lesson from my stupidity: Do NOT overestimate your abilities and try something outside of your comfort zone. Go slow, perfect the important fundamentals and commit them to muscle memory. I was lucky and managed to save it a little but it could have been seriously painful. I will not be trying anything like this without far more practice on much smaller surfaces and I hope you all will learn from my pain instead of having to go through it yourself
Never forget that even though you can jump, vault, flip, or hurdle an obstacle, you can still just walk around it.

Offline Big Coots

• Guenons
  • Dedication
    • View Profile
Re: Learn from my mistakes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
I did something similar. I made the mistake of jumping off a pillar that was roughly eight feet high, I hurt the bottom of my left foot from the impact.

I totally agree with you on taking it slow and perfecting the fundamental moves before moving onto things that are more dangerous like this.

Though, I'm sure this has already been discussed on another thread.

Offline Daniel Downs

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised and as annoying as it is to have repeated threads, I think this is important enough that it bears repeating. Parkour is exciting and people want to jump right in, but a serious screw up can cause major damage to your body. Its the only one you've got so take can of it.
Never forget that even though you can jump, vault, flip, or hurdle an obstacle, you can still just walk around it.

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:26:56 AM »
As long as you know that it was a mistake, and are going to train harder to perfect your roll. Then good shit.

I've always tend to hurt myself doing little things, but I wouldn't think about the movement and I would end up hurting myself. ( How I got 2 of my shin splits.. )

Since then, I haven't really hurt myself since. Been thinking all my movements through before, and during. :)

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:11:50 AM »
I feel for ya. It was probably like falling with your eyes closed haha. I'm working on my rolls from all directions (backwards is tricky) to avoid mishaps like that.
Parkour Endure founder - parkourendure.com
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 ADAPT qualified instructor