Author Topic: getting used to training in public  (Read 4270 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
getting used to training in public
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
I am new here. Just moved to the island 4 months ago and am getting started with parkour indoors on padding. Just wondering how you start to deal with going out and training on the street.

This may seem like a dumb question for a teenage skater, but when you are an office guy in your 30’s going to the gym is one thing. Going out on the street and drilling on someone’s wall in front of their house, on a rail at some condo building, on a generator enclosure downtown, or on planter walls at a college campus is something else. You may have to explain yourself to homeowners, cops, security guards, store owner, etc.  Beaches, trails and parks seem easier, but you still have curious people, kids, etc. Obviously you want to be an ambassador for the sport/art/discipline and you want to leave if you are kicked out, and leave a place cleaner than you found it – I get that.

It seems like the group element of jams kind of takes care of that, but what about solo training?
Can anyone speak to this?
What issues have you had?
How have you dealt with them?
What things/property do you avoid?
Have you ever had to ask permission?
Do you tend to go for a run and do a few sets on a wall and then move on to the next thing?

thanks
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
Re: getting used to training in public
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58:41 PM »
I don't know but I think there was an article on this somewhere in the forums. Meh dun know.

Well for the past three months I've had to resort to solo training since all my partners moved away. I am as you said a teenager skater kid so it must be different for me.

I haven't had many issues. Maybe a few people looking over wondering what I was doing. Once someone asked and we had a pleasant talk. A cop one time asked me what I was doing and I explained it to him and he seemed genuinely interested. He only wanted to talk and ask what I was dong, he had no problem with it. Well at a couple jams we were asked to leave but that's a huge group. I tend to avoid densely populated spots (handycap places actually used ect.) and obviously places I shouldn't be. I never asked permission but most of my training has been at parks. I tend to do light conditioning before I go somewhere and generally 15-25 minutes on an obstacle depending on how many there are. (3 hours with a picnic table <3)

I think, imho at least, that the hardest part of solo training is self confidence. Peoples eyes probably will fall on you but my idea is I don't care what people think of me. Sure makes school easier to deal with.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
I found an old thread from 2007. No need reopen that, tho.

Think about progression. Find the amount of social discomfort you can handle, then try to push it a little.

You're going to draw more attention the more your acts differ from what's expected. Ie walk < jog < sprint < jumping stuff...

If you have permission to be some place, or do something, that defuses a lot of it.

The more potential for harm to yourself, others or property the more you get [and deserve] anger. The more value property has, the more anger you'll get. Fallen tree < luxury sports car. Unused loading dock < busy resort lobby. Ground level < 2-3' < 4-6' < rooftops. Public < private < secured < restricted [ie airport, military bases]

Your response can change their reactions. Sometimes. I'll usually just smile, or nod, or give a shaka. If they seem mildly upset, be calm and respectful. If they seem hostile [or drunk], be calm, respectful, but look for your exits.

Curious people are something else. You have to figure out what they can handle. Smile & shaka may be all some people need. Some people [security] I tell them "I'm working out". If they ask more, I'll tell them. If they ask me to move on, I do. Little kids - I do stuff they can do without getting hurt. Little jumps, QM, foot placement [ground level]. Parents get weirded out real easy.

"Free running" is easier for people than "parkour". "Obstacle course" is a concept everyone knows.

I tend to do a bunch of stuff, then move on. That's how I train normally, anyway. If I find a fun obstacle, I may play on it for 10-15 minutes, then move on to something else, then maybe loop back, or come back some other time.

turtlekarma

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »
I'm going to assume by training you mean conditioning, where you really aren't doing big stuff...just kind of pushing your boundaries SLOWLY as far as conditioning, strength, and flow go.

Where to train...the simple answer is wherever anyone will let you (well that and where you don't put yourself or others unnecessarily in danger).  My experience has been that if you're friendly and not ashamed/embarrassed of what you're doing people are less likely to think negatively of what you're doing.  Obviously places with less traffic (amount of people passing through your desired training area) are better for you and the general public simply because you dont get in each others way. 

Idk you're just going to have to get a feel for your area.  Where do you live by the way, maybe I could suggest some places I know of for you to train?  If not I could come down with you one day to scope your neighborhood out to find appropriate places. 

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:55 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated general wisdom for a newbee. The more I watch the hipk condition videos for ideas the more I recognize the same places shot for tutorials, so obviously repeats happen at comfortable spots where no one really cares

Ryan, thanks for the offer. I am in makiki. There are plenny lots places around here listed in hot spots for what I am likely to grow into. Yeah, I'm talking conditioning. Nothing big...maybe some basic vaults on a hc rail for now, QM's which I am sure would attract some glances...

I like the idea of the training stations along parks like at kapiolani and around Waikiki at ft derusey with balance beams and pullup bars and whatever. Seems like a good place to start. Maybe punchbowl? Dunno...don't wanna tread on any graves or anything

Is there anywhere around alawai?
Motion for motion's sake

turtlekarma

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated general wisdom for a newbee. The more I watch the hipk condition videos for ideas the more I recognize the same places shot for tutorials, so obviously repeats happen at comfortable spots where no one really cares

Ryan, thanks for the offer. I am in makiki. There are plenny lots places around here listed in hot spots for what I am likely to grow into. Yeah, I'm talking conditioning. Nothing big...maybe some basic vaults on a hc rail for now, QM's which I am sure would attract some glances...

I like the idea of the training stations along parks like at kapiolani and around Waikiki at ft derusey with balance beams and pullup bars and whatever. Seems like a good place to start. Maybe punchbowl? Dunno...don't wanna tread on any graves or anything

Is there anywhere around alawai?

alawai has some good spots http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,18660.0.html

makiki is great though, all those apartment complex's have some fun looking entrances since their so packed together...this is one around punchbowl that me and a buddy of mine discovered, http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,30288.0.html.

of course it's private property, so pretty much whatever the residents/landlord says goes, but if you're friendly you should be able to find a couple of spots to frequent.