Author Topic: New stop the bullshit campaign - Post Limits  (Read 11549 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
New stop the bullshit campaign - Post Limits
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »
Guys,
I see the same people taking topics off topic all the time, having personal conversations and basically talking shit. I'm going to ask you (nicely, once) to self - moderate.

If your post is not on topic do not post it.

If your post does not add (or change) the discussion in a meaningful way don't post it.

This counts for all forums except socialize where you may say whatever you want whenever you want.

A good rule of thumb is this: if you post more than two things a day, you're not putting the level of thought into it that APK requires and deserves.

I'll be more than happy to impose a technical (meaning using the forum software) limit of 3 posts per day per person and see how the quality of these forums improves, or I can just ban anyone who posts frivolously, the choice is yours.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: New stop the bullshit campaign - Post Limits
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:19:12 AM »
Completely understand, I know this is directed towards me and some others.
I will contain myself.
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:59:40 AM »
i will contain myself also, sorry m2
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »
This is going to get me banned but how about we agree to READ posts instead of waiting for our turn to talk. A lot of these threads have concise and complete answers in the first 10 posts but the OP doesn't acknowledge it and just continues with a piecemeal troll thread.

And yes, I'm a culprit of derailing so I'll try to keep it in check. But a post that isn't the answer the OP wanted is not a post irrelevant to the thread.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »
I think the "self-moderation" idea comes to the poster at about 1000-1500 post count. I notice most of the older members seem to not post as much, going for quality, rather than quantity.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 07:09:41 AM »
I think I like the 3 post per-day rule, actually. This would leave a large amount of the spam in the APK chat box.
I think it would be interesting to see what would happen. Maybe try it for a week or so, and see how it affects the forums...
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »
I don't support that. Maybe in general discussion only. But for those of us that are moderators in our local forums or helping out in the movement forums that would SEVERELY cripple our ability to answer questions and coordinate meetups/help new traceurs seeking other to train with.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Maybe not a 3 post limit. As Hull said, if someone wants to post in their state boards, general discussion, general fitness, ect. they have to chose which ones and for more variety, which threads to post in. This would make it much harder for questions to be answered and jams to be organized.
Shut up and Train

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 07:30:01 AM »
Interesting idea. I see this as such a problem some times, that I am discouraged to even post most of the time.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »
Andrew - show me a time where on average you made 5 posts a day that where necessary for more than 3 days straight and I'll be happy to hear your argument, otherwise, I think that even active state mods can get by with 3 good posts a day and PMs for any other issues.

Besides that, I think you get the point, there is a lot of useless posting and obviously that is what I am trying to cut out. Nobody would ever be banned or limited for helping people, but the fact it the forums here are a pile of shit right now and mostly not helpful for the general newcomer.

Be Useful.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »
Putting a "3-Per-Day" post limit on some boards would be beneficial. I really think we should try it.

Like Jeremy said, more people would go to the chatbox/room. I think there is some Java application that is called "shoutbox," could someone look into that?

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
I don't think the 3 posts a day is a great idea, but possibly on the right track. Maybe something like 3 posts  per 15 minutes limit, with a separate or no daily limit.

It would take some fiddling around on the numbers to get it right, of course. But, this is IMO still a secondary solution. I don't know completely to what extents mods regulate off topic posts, whether some posts get deleted or if members get PM's regarding off topic posts.... But these would be more favorable to me. This, though, is not to reduce a mods responcibilty to that of a crap-cleaner though. I'm sure many of you would agree that it's all our responciblity, so if everyone who cares might consider addressing posters directly in a clear and polite way, this might be the best way to keep the most freedom for everyone.

This is not an easy fix though. No solution will completely fix this issue, cus people will get excited and slip. But that's okay, if it's incidential and not very often.
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
I don't think the 3 posts a day is a great idea, but possibly on the right track. Maybe something like 3 posts  per 15 minutes limit, with a separate or no daily limit.

i think this is a far better idea. i realize that a lot of my post are pointless but there have been times where i have been posting serious posts in several serious threads and i posted in those threads multiple times a day. i am not the only one who has done that.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
Three posts per fifteen minutes, or even an hour, wouldn't be a restriction. How long does it take for you to take a look around the forums and make a post? Would three posts take you less than fifteen minutes? Typically, fifteen minutes would allow you the same post rate as before, without the restriction.

This is kind of a hard thing to give opinion on, as it's not a very typical concept that is actually used, but if you -were- going to do it. Do it for three per day.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:02 AM »
how about if you start spamming you get a three post limit  for three days or a ban for three days? that way spammers will be punished without punishing everyone else.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »
how about if you start spamming you get a three post limit  for three days or a ban for three days? that way spammers will be punished without punishing everyone else.

How many posts in a day would be considered spam? 30? 20? 10?

It's a good idea, and with a little tweaking, would work pretty well.

Offline Dan M.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 09:14:03 AM »
Three posts per fifteen minutes, or even an hour, wouldn't be a restriction. How long does it take for you to take a look around the forums and make a post? Would three posts take you less than fifteen minutes? Typically, fifteen minutes would allow you the same post rate as before, without the restriction.

This is kind of a hard thing to give opinion on, as it's not a very typical concept that is actually used, but if you -were- going to do it. Do it for three per day.

I agree with this. There's no need for more than three posts a day. I might have days when I rack up 3 posts a day, but usually I post once a day. This is because I find threads that only need answers, and I think before immediately posting my answer. One of my replies can take me anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. This is because I consider what I'm writing, I make sure that the information is correct, and I preview my reply multiple times till I am satisfied. If everyone did this, there would be no problem.

I believe that a 3 post limit is perfect, since it will force others to carefully think about and write out replies to threads that need answers, therefore eradicating pointless posts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:25:27 AM by Dan M. »
Goals
Backflip
B-Twist
Smooth Wall-Run

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
How many posts in a day would be considered spam? 30? 20? 10?

It's a good idea, and with a little tweaking, would work pretty well.
how about instead of by numbers by quality. If you are posting random irrelevant crap outside of socialize, and derailing topics, you get a three day ban.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
I like that idea Tex
that'd keep me in line ;)
Shut up and Train

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Guys, even this is f#cking out of hand, you have missed the point entirely. Stop posting unless what you are saying has meaning, these forums used to have real value, and all your useless bullshit has taken away that value. Starting now if I see you post more than three posts a day that are not all useful and relevant to people who want to learn and train in parkour and freerunning I'll ban you, how's that?

Be Useful.