Author Topic: mini-flashlights for night training  (Read 4838 times)

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
mini-flashlights for night training
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »
Miniaturization has contrived to give us flashlights powerful enough to illuminate the ground ahead, but lightweight enough that we can attach it to our bodies and hardly notice anything's there.

Review here, but I got a couple of plain black models for $1.95 apiece at J&L.

With any long-sleeved upperwear, peel back the cuffs and clip the light on (if you clip it to the cuffs normally, the flashlight will be to one side of your wrists, and interfere with the movement there). Between choosing where (and at what angle) it clips to the cuff, and adjusting the tilt (360 degree swivel mount), I was able to direct the light anywhere I could think of putting it, for any position (or closely related groups of positions) that my arm might be in while walking or running.

Next time, I'll open up the second package and put one on each forearm. I like the idea of being able to keep the ground ahead of me illuminated, while pointing at the area I'm thinking of going to for automatic lighting there.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: mini-flashlights for night training
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 05:59:08 AM »
seems like it'd be better to clip to the pants (put the light closer to the ground, and also allow for a bigger view of the ground below you) not sure exactly how well those things work.. but I'll look closer later

how much is shipping/handling for those?
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:01:42 AM »
seems like it'd be better to clip to the pants (put the light closer to the ground, and also allow for a bigger view of the ground below you)

Brighter view, yes; bigger, I would have to recommend "up near the head" for that. The beam is fairly narrow, it illuminated more of the ground when I attached it to the V of my neckline (where the double layers of cloth meet and split for the hood), but then I had to thrust out my lower belly if I wanted to tilt the light upward to check for low-hanging tree branches (I was running in a straight line, so I was okay with slight turns left and right to aim the light in those directions, and I don't know how well it would work for sharp turns).

how much is shipping/handling for those?

I don't know, I ordered other lights with these :)

Could be a flat $8.00 standard ground rate, could be something cheaper "per bulk of item". I do remember seeing that orders of over $125 get free shipping, but I doubt you'll be ordering 65 of these, so ;D

Of course, if there are a lot of traceurs in your area, you could be buying them for everyone to save on shipping. The lights aren't very strong (although, the fact that there was a full moon last night might have had something to do with this perception), and they'll send you a 10% discount code after your first order (in their monthly newsletter, I think?), so I recommend trying just one before you go crazy with the cheapness (they're useful for many other things, though, so maybe you'd like them anyway).

Or, if the shipping seems excessive for one little flashlight, browse around their online "shelves" and look for anything else you're interested in ;)
I give you this:

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 05:55:37 AM »
I have a petzl headlamp for camping that rocks ...
It's a tikka  http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=258&Critere=0
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 07:53:37 AM »
sorry to beef, but i think using a flashlight kind of defeats one very important aspect of night training.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 12:08:16 PM »
sorry to beef, but i think using a flashlight kind of defeats one very important aspect of night training.

Having to use precision of technique?

Sorry, but when I'm running to (and through) the park, I'd like to make sure I don't run into a tree, trip over any shrubs, or go full speed over wet/slippery ground :P

Part of parkour is knowing the terrain before we go there. And some of this can be done beforehand, but sometimes water or gas or some other substance is spilled between when we checked and when we run there, which is not the thing to find out as you're heading across it full speed, or someone drops a large soda bottle, which is NOT the thing to find out as you place your foot on it.
I give you this:

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 04:51:44 AM »

Having to use precision of technique?

Sorry, but when I'm running to (and through) the park, I'd like to make sure I don't run into a tree, trip over any shrubs, or go full speed over wet/slippery ground :P

Part of parkour is knowing the terrain before we go there*. And some of this can be done beforehand, but sometimes water or gas or some other substance is spilled between when we checked and when we run there, which is not the thing to find out as you're heading across it full speed, or someone drops a large soda bottle, which is NOT the thing to find out as you place your foot on it.

*i disagree, you have to be ready for whatever comes. to train in some place that you know like the back of your hand creates an inadequate simulation of parkour in my opinion. you never know when you have to go after a some dude who stole an old womans purse.

if you are walking through a park at night and some goons jump out, you have to run, you dont know whats coming. i think that the best way to train for that is to simulate the situation as close as possible, which surely means you are running in the dark.

i also have the same problem with these as gloves, first of all its a crutch, second of all its something that you always have to have with you, otherwise its not truly simulating.

now, if you have those flashlights with you walking through a park, you are not only lighting up your way, but your pursuers way as well. at that point you wont be able to hide, because you have a beacon of light coming out.

as far as running into a tree or anything like that, eat your carrots, its not that hard to adjust to the dark.

i think you need to reevaluate your training if its intent is to make training easier for you. train in the dark, train for stealth, train for agility, train for speed, its different than the day, and that difference should be embraced.

i disagree with making training cushy. if its raining, train so you're ready for the rain, if you arent wearing your running shoes, train so you are ready in case you arent wearing your running shoes. if you have a backpack, if there's ice on the ground, if you're in a straightjacket, train.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 12:04:48 PM »
Part of parkour is knowing the terrain before we go there*.
*i disagree, you have to be ready for whatever comes.

And part of this is looking before you leap, isn't it?

I can't count the number of times I've heard and read someone emphasizing "check how solid the surface is" and other once-overs to ensure safety. Looks can be deceiving. And it sounds like you're recommending that we pass on even looking at the terrain we're about to cross. How well can you time a jump or reach for the railing if you deliberately tie a blindfold on yourself before even knowing where they are?

This sort of thing may be well for an advanced traceur - by which I mean, one who has acquired proficiency with (if not mastery of) the basic skills, but it is downright dangerous for a beginner.

Unless there's some other skill-set I don't know about, that specifically trains people to deal with the resulting loss of control over high speed running when they slip on hard (unforgiving) terrain, try to run through a spiny shrub, crush a glass bottle underfoot, step on an upturned rake/nail, or catch your foot on a concrete obstruction that lay so close to the ground it blended in.

In some cases you won't have a choice about taking these risks. But when you don't have to, it makes sense to at least visually inspect the terrain you are about to cross: even if it's new, you can still walk it over with a flashlight to check for recent construction, vandalism (broken glass, especially), or other dangerous developments.

as far as running into a tree or anything like that, eat your carrots, its not that hard to adjust to the dark.

I exaggerated for effect, there. It was shorter than a more complete list would have been (a partial list is above; I didn't try to enumerate every possibility).

i think you need to reevaluate your training if its intent is to make training easier for you.

Indirectly, yes. One gets better, therefore their training is easier ::) This is why we occasionally increase the difficulty of our training. But this doesn't mean that we should start out at the most difficult level right away!
I give you this:

Offline korruptd

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
i'm not a big fan of night training. my eyes aren't good enough or something. i'm not very comfortable doing it.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:14:27 AM »
I've got a pair of LED's that attach to the fingers, and Altimot has a headlamp that actually attaches to the bill of a baseball cap, it alows for much more durability and maneuverability than a most headlamps I've worked with.

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »
I've got a pair of LED's that attach to the fingers,

Now this sounds cool. Homemade?
I give you this:

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 04:48:58 AM »
for training, yes you should check your surface and all that... but if you are able to, you should try to do a lot of the stuff without knowing exactly how well the surfaces are.. and that sort of thing.

the main purpose of parkour is getting somewhere.... fast. and there is no way that you're going to be able to maneuvor(sp) through a city or any area for that matter, if you have to stop and check the whole scene out.
I think that for a little while it would be understandable to use a flashlight because you don't want to hurt yourself. but the main idea is to be free of any essential equipment, and just stick with your clothing and shoes.

a lot of flame goes toward people who use gloves, and rightfully so. and I think the same would happen for people who use flashlights. though I do think it is a good idea for people who want to try it safely (for a short while)

that's just my opinion though, I guess we are all subject to our own.
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »
This one is amazing.  It is quite expensive but you have no idea how bright it is.

http://www.inovalight.com/site.html?247-ov