Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142635 times)

Offline TheShadowCreed

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Always Move Forward.
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #460 on: April 11, 2014, 06:06:29 AM »
Assassins Creed brought my attention to free running, so I started kind of doing that on my freetime without knowing what it was I was doing. eventually I was looking up how to jump higher and farther, and stumbled across plenty of parkour and free running videos. After that I started researching for ways to train myself, but relied a lot on experimentation on my own with different "moves" and the most efficient way to get over an obstacle. I enjoyed the rush I got from it, so i kept going further and further into it.
"You see a dead end alleyway. I see a way to the rooftops."

"Momentum can be a powerful ally, both physically and mentally."

Offline jojogo5

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
my friend was doing it so i tried it and it was awesome 

Offline SpectreSabre

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 23, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
Parkour has always been interesting to me, ever since Assassins Creed. In more recent years, some of my friends have been hittin' the gym and lifting more than I weigh, and I felt left out. So, being skinny, and not able to lift anything, I took to YouTube and looked up some tutorials (mainly LaFlairParkour and RonnieStreetStunts) Within a week I could already do 3 vaults and the safety roll. This has become a continuous workout routine for me, and has kept me wanting to leave my room and outside regardless of weather.
Now all of my lifting buddies think I have more guts than them.  :D

Offline Caleb McDonald

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
My friends mostly parkour games too thought I could do something with my life instead of just sitting around.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 10, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
For me, it was seeing this video.. that was all it took. I had to learn it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv8SS1XU_8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv8SS1XU_8</a>

zakhaimid

« Reply #465 on: May 11, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »
For me, it was seeing this video.. that was all it took. I had to learn it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv8SS1XU_8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv8SS1XU_8</a>

OMG thats the same video that got me into it!
there was 2 versions of the video, one with that music and another with different music but the other one seems to have gone :(

Offline JwHarvey

• Guenons
  • Onepa, eche ti Wyatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 22, 2014, 05:38:38 AM »
To be honest. Assassin's Creed.
*insert witty comment*

Offline TheTraceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Parkour in southern New England
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
I saw people doing parkour and it looked pretty bad ass, so I met some people through my friends and now I train regularly with them.
Sam (TheTraceur)

Offline Hidden Mist Traceur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
hello i just registered today. so im new here. what made me start doing parkour was mirror's edge. that game was just...amazing. the way faith parkours to escape the blues. another game was assassin's  creed..i thought what i would do if i can parkour so i practice and trained. now i see my world in a whole other perspective. there are no longer wall and dead end. but now pathways. do this count as runner's vision  :)
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!! -Zero

Offline Ronnie Thompson

• Patas
  • Team Raven-Moon Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 16, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Why yes, yes it does.  ;)
"Flow like water, because flowing water never runs stale." -Bruce Lee

zakhaimid

« Reply #470 on: June 18, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
I like how half the community was introduced to parkour by assassins creex and mirrors edge, we need more games like those :P

Offline Dausen Kokas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »
My friend taught me the word parkour after seeing me do a couple flips. I looked it up and found something I really enjoy. Now I train as often as possible with my 3 closest friends. And I teach them, while I learn. We have been hoping to go big after highschool.

Offline goodwan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:40 AM »
I started about a year ago...I was bored and being in boarding school isn't so stress free.Then,I came upon a video by Jesse Le Flair and boy was I excited.Learnt a few passments,vaults and tricks.All of a sudden my school wasn't so boring and small for me.Of course,like all of the tracers out there every structure,building or even an everyday sidewalk seemed a lot more interesting.Especially when I'm wearing my sport shoes.

Offline NinjaViolinist587

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Only Get Better. Never Stop Improving
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »
Jessie la flair, kyle "epic" mendoza, and the "urban ninjaz parkour" video

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 06, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
Like a lot of others, I wanted to see if any of the Assassins Creed parkour was possible and, as it turned out, most and more was. I was so blown away that people could do that I tried for myself, learning first how to wallrun from Jesse La Flair and Ronnie Shalvis then I learned to roll and the rest was extremely enjoyable training, vaulting, flipping, and climbing.
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline Whitefang6159

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
Really i have been doing parkour since i was little like jumping off of the stairs and landing with a roll and stuff like that but one day my friend was talking about parkour so i went home and looked up parkour and it looked really cool so i looked up basic parkour things like wallrunning and vaults and i been doing it ever since

Offline wrookie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Love parkour and love being with friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
I suppose you could say I have had the desire and potential to climb ever since childhood. Although, at that time, I had a major case of the very common Acrophobia. I climbed all over everything when I was just a toddler, but i was afraid of falling. Then once i got my first video game console and spent most of my life in front of a T.V screen. Of course, there would be every now and again when I would go outside to hang out with people, but this became more and more rare the more games I got. Up until the age of fourteen, i never really tried again at climbing. But by this time, my Acrophobia was long gone. I had embraced my fair-share of falls and fails and knew how to recover quite effectively. And then, my console broke down. That's when I stepped outside and started making friends. Lots of friends. I don't know how, but I really have no enemies. I made so many friends, I couldn't keep count. I started being more active and finally realized my potential in fluent vaulting and started practicing at it. Every day I practiced vaulting. whether it be a fence or a short wall, i'd find something to vault over. I would vault over and back until my body ached. I also found that i'm really good a mantling. This too I would practice at. My friends started noticing the things I could do and labeled me "Spider-Monkey". And then one day, i was on my computer and found that "Parkour" was a thing. A really big thing. I watched videos of free running and became inspired by this anonymous sport to go further and push myself to my true potential since I have been blessed with the very slim form I have. The next thing i started practicing was High falls and rolls. I would leap from eight foot ledges and practicing my timing and form. I also practice evasive rolls as well. The next big thing i worked on were wall pops. I can now scale an eight foot wall with no problem as long as my shoes aren't wet. The one thing I still haven't mastered is a climb up from a ledge cat pose. So for the wall pops, I rely on momentum. I'm a big parkour enthusiast and would like to meet some more people out there like me.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 22, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
That's a pretty respectable story bro. Pretty much the same for me except my console didn't break down xP I played too much AC and was having what I thought was too much fun wallrunning.
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline ericaynerd

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 07, 2014, 04:27:16 AM »
I found out about it through an italian penpal of mine. And he showed me a video of it and i decided that i wanted to do it.

Offline Obstracized

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • A Future FreeRunner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 12, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Pretty much from the famous video, "Assassin's Creed in Real Life", starring Ronnie Shalvis. I was inspired by Parkour for some time ever since I've first watched that video, but I didn't learn or attempt any Parkour movements and tricks until earlier this year, in January.

However, I gave up mid-way because I was of a rather large-sized person, or fat, for short, and not being able to clear normal obstacles a person of average strength and size would be able to do, and thus, decided to lay off of Parkour till I lose those weight.

Now, around August, I decided to come back into Parkour again, starting with the Basic Roll. Although my weight changes were minimal, but, since now I have the time, I can dedicate myself to Parkour and exercises (Cardio, Bodyweight, etc) entirely.
A Future FreeRunner.

Currently attempting: Parkour Roll