Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142682 times)

Offline asaparkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #440 on: December 25, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
I got into parkour when i saw some awsome Jackie Chan films and that really inspired me. At that time I did not know what parkour was until my dad told me the name of the art. Then my dad brought me to Primal Fitness, and thats when I started training. Now I have practiced it for about
3 years.

Offline THEafk5

• Guenons
  • Less QQ More Pew Pew(or training)
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 25, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
I got into parkour when i saw some awsome Jackie Chan films and that really inspired me. At that time I did not know what parkour was until my dad told me the name of the art. Then my dad brought me to Primal Fitness, and thats when I started training. Now I have practiced it for about
3 years.
Your dad's awesome.

Why did I start pk? Well, I was doing tic tacs before I knew what were them, calling them "walljumps". Then I found out pk. But I considered it too hard so I didn't do it. Then I rediscovered it during my vaction and I knew this is what I wanted.
No pain, no gain. No gain, no pain.
"A man falls before he rises, just as there is darkness, before light. But if you trip while attempting a double kong before learning how to kong, then that's not my problem"-Me

Offline The Barefoot Panther

• Patas
  • what is this, 'personal text'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 28, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
For me it was a lot of different things combined. First, I'm one of those weirdos who actually like to just run, even without the incentive of staying in shape or whatever. I also have intentions of signing into the Navy (like my Dad) and becoming a Navy Diver (not like my Dad). In general I just like to be active and enjoy pushing myself. As far as actually starting parkour, I'm sure many traceurs first heard of the practice from the video game Mirror's Edge. I personally love Mirror's Edge, but I first learned of parkour from playing "parkour" maps in minecraft. I know, kinda lame, but I started to wonder what the parkour tag on all the maps meant, so I looked it up. It seemed like fun (I really have never stopped playing on jungle gyms) and it also seemed a good way to conquer my greatest fear, heights (Yea, I'm scarred of heights, and yes, I love to climb. Everything. It kinda annoys my older sister. Especially when I do it without shoes). Now that I've written it down, it doesn't seem that exciting, but its more than enough to inspire me.
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

Offline Urbanmotionartist

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 29, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
I used to do gymnastics. I was competitive and really enjoyed it. Now I do flips and stuff all over the place. I'm the only one in my grade that can do a standing back flip

Offline Joseph Bahder

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »
Since we were tiny kids, as far back as I can remember, my brother and I were climbing on things, vaulting over things, and trying to be the best explorers and adventurers we could. We ended up just naturally learning a few of the basic skill involved in Parkour, including Safety vaults, Kong vaults, and Lazy vaults. We could do a decent climb-up, and we knew our way around the woods and the city alike. When I was about eight, my brother ten (Warning: Ages Approximated), we saw a video of David Belle's famous B13 chase scene spliced together with a lot of other very smooth and ruthlessly efficient clips of his work. Instantly the two of us were captivated, not by the flips and weird tricks he did at times, but by the sheer speed, efficiency, power, and control with which he moved. He was in complete control of his body. He know where he was, what he was doing, and how to do it. He was in every aspect of our dreams, the pinnacle of a perfect human. Naturally, we wanted more. I was a bit young to really understand how to find out more, but my brother did some research and discovered the word: Parkour. He knew at that point that that was what he wanted to do. As he began to start really seriously training, he brought me in a little ways down. We were both beginners, and we knew virtually nothing, but we desperately wanted to be in such absolute control of ourselves, in the perfect form of a human: in control of doubt, fear, and weakness.

And so, we trained. About eight years it's been since then, and we've come close to our dream. There were obstacles, and many of them, but I'm proud to say that the two of us are really on our way.

Offline Kingkong95

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
I like jumping off things.
Skate to live, die trying.

Offline Eric D

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
The philosophy of finding ways around the things that limit you. Achieving what you can despite the obstacles life places in your way.

Offline Somewhat Superman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 08, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »
i was looking on youtube at how to do a back in like fifth grade (im only 13 so now im in seventh) and i saw in the sidebar parkour so here i am now ;D
People ask me why do parkour

because stairs are to mainstream

Offline Calabozos

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 12, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
I was looking at running techniques to implement in my marathon training, and bam. Parkour videos. I was hooked.

Offline Dragnets

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Free running training plans
« Reply #449 on: February 13, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »
I started 8 years ago. I also loved sport and I still love it. I like practical stuff and I enjoyed my secondary school sports lesson. Always had great grades at that lesson. As usually kid likes to jump around on fences and especially I enjoyed to climb on trees. Oh remember I was usually climbing on tree to get that apple for my self not like others throwing something at it or shaking the tree.  So one day, eight years ago I had a conversation whit my class mate, I found out that there is actually an activity/sport for this type of thing. So it really made me excited especial that I could do it whit friends. At the beginning there was so much to learn as they showed me the video "Vault102" at that time only one a proper video. So from child I always have been active and when I found out that there is a sport for it I started to do it. Now it is part of my life wherever I go, I use short cuts :)
Learn Step By Step On How To Start Parkour. Get Your FREE Training

Offline Hattori Sasuke

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • There Are Two Types Of Fear Said Sasuke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:08 AM »
I started because of two reasons. My first reason is because of the Assassins on Assassin's Creed, I always was like I could do that if I practice it isn't that hard. My second reason was because a lot of people don't do parkour, because they are scared or don't know what it is, they play other sports like basketball. Also sorry if my english is bad. I was born in America but my two fluent languages are English and French so its hard cause I think of the two when I speak it.
The first fear is the fear of God which is good and you know what he can do to you and what he is capable off. This surrenders your respect and love to him.

The second fear is the fear is which must be conquered this fear can be conquered if you trust the Lord. This is how I conquer my fear- Sasuke

Offline Kailas Hearn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • i fall way too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 27, 2014, 05:12:16 AM »
I first saw the RedBull Art of Motion video. I found it insanely awesome. And pretty much ever since then i have been running about doing parkour. Im still not that great but im getting there. It gave me an outlet for stress and anger. Ill prolly be doing this till im too old to move.  ;D
FaCePlAnT._.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
 I have played the Assassin's Creed games for a while and eventually became interested in what the heck the main character was doing, "how did he climb and jump like that?" I asked myself. I looked it up on Youtube and google and basically got my answer-he was doing parkour. I began watching tons of videos on the stuff found APK and then began practicing when I could.

Summary I found parkour through Assassin's Creed
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Ronnie Thompson

• Patas
  • Team Raven-Moon Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 15, 2014, 05:03:54 AM »
Well, I have been jumping off of things and doing rolls and such since I was little but recently found out what it was through a few friends of mine and started training with them. They aren't very serious about it, but I am ;D. I love doing this and will continue to do it.... Plus, te AC games got me VERY inspired, as did David Belle. :)
"Flow like water, because flowing water never runs stale." -Bruce Lee

Offline Jean|cmA

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 23, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
One year and some change prior to today, I was sitting in an awesome CAD class and witnessed storm freerun concrete circus, and volume one. Ever since that day, I became hooked on the topic, philosophy, and discipline.

I turned to the internet the same day, and never looked back.

Offline Elusive parkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 27, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
This is a fun question lol... My first time was with some friends I barely knew, and we ended up having to run from the cops less than an hour later. After that, I started climbing my roof and such. Then I found a name to it, and videos about parkour. Since then, for going outside is much more fun.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »
This is a fun question lol... My first time was with some friends I barely knew, and we ended up having to run from the cops less than an hour later. After that, I started climbing my roof and such. Then I found a name to it, and videos about parkour. Since then, for going outside is much more fun.

This is a bit concerning, care to explain?
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

zakhaimid

« Reply #457 on: April 08, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
Well around 2 years ago I found this random youtube video of freerunning and was instantly interested, me and a friend took it up for a matter of a week and stopped, well he stopped an I followed stupidly, he went to the sport scootering which I was never really interested in but I started, I got bored and left so did he, then I encouraged him to start freerunning with me, he stopped after 6 month, I continued by myself because I like it so much I cant let it go

zakhaimid

« Reply #458 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
Remember dont ever let anyone stop you, never give up thats what keeps me going...

Offline calebparkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 10, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
Well mine started because I was always a good runner I'm big though and j though with parkour I could work with my weight and I started doing it and now I'm in love with it