Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142688 times)

Offline Arthur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2011, 01:28:37 AM »
i have been doing pk for about six years now. i saw some people doing it in Frisco a couple of years before, just roof jumping and tricking which iv always done flips and jumped around on stuff so n e ways i had a dream about me jumping from one building to another and doing flips from one building to another and started practicing. so when i got into colledge a week later i took a gymnastics class and one of the guys i met there had been doing it and he told me about pk which i called roof jumping back then and one of the other guys had been doing it for five years so that when i started and have been hooked even sense. sense i have started a crew and ya i still remember when no one rely knew what it was. ;D

Offline miyuki

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 03, 2011, 05:35:16 AM »
my friends got me into it we didn't have much to do on friday so he started climbing the walls at school and doing flips and such being there were only a small group of kids outside i though i would try too.after he said i should look up parkour and now im here

Offline Drew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
well me i started doing parkour (summer off 11) because i was just sit around all day and night doin nothing but sit around play xbox live well i got bored and started to watch t.v music channel and Three doors down-it's not my time liked the song looked up the music vid and this dude was freeruning and i looked every thing about and i fall i love with it cuase "your born ready for parkour" so i've been train with what ever and who ever (friends,famil,etc.) yea so here i am ///.^

Offline Charlie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • 365 Days of Hand Balancing
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »
I first saw the video Russian Wall Climber and just got hooked... Later I found out it was called parkour (this was about 4-5 years ago) and learned a bunch of stuff. I loved how natural it felt and the philosophy, and started training off and on. Now I just love it, it's a part of my life.
Goals:
        -15 second handstand
        -15 second tuck planche
        -1 head to ground handstand pushup

365 Days of Hand Balancing:
http://365handbalancing.blogspot.com/

Offline matthew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
I wanted to do something with my life instead of just talk about game informer. my brothers are huge on working out and i started and loved it. but i wanted to but it to use, i started to look up ways of getting stronger, then PARKOUR showed up , i instantly started feeling a rush that i just wanted to go 0ut run and never stop. I kept watching them and decided to get past all fears, i told my self before i did a move that i thought was crazy "its now or never" and since then ive been all for parkour alwase doing it , its become a addiction that i cant stop. Best thing that's happened to me so Far! Thanks so Much for all  you do APK!!!

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2011, 05:22:11 AM »
my friend introduced me in the fall of 2010 during out cross country runs. He had an interesting way of getting past fences, so I questioned him. he proceeded to show me the david Belle chase scene from district B13, and that's where my parkour lifestyle started  ;D ;D
"I can't define a hero. All I know is that it's someone you probably don't notice, but when you find out what they did and how modestly they did it, you can never shake off the feeling that you're cut from a lesser cloth, and you find that braggarts suddenly offend you a great deal more than usual."

Offline Ryan Tucker

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 23, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
I started for a few different reasons. I kind of became obsessed with martial arts and self-defense, and around the time that I actually started training in martial arts and self-defense, I officially discovered parkour. I feel that parkour is an important part of self-defense and a natural progression of it. Not to mention that it is extremely fun and very awesome (just like martial arts).

Offline Tyrell

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 24, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
Watched Worst Case Scenario: Being chased, they said the word Freerunners, looked it up on google, found a video, and got hooked. ;D
well it coulda been worse, i mean u could have been chased, BY freerunners. lol jk

Offline Robert

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 27, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
I did not know about parkour untill 2-3 years ago,
Me and my friends were just running up walls and such.
Then a guy came who actually did parkour and said: ''Hey you guys wanna train with us?''
After a while we went training with a big group of traceurs.
And I felt home with them, You know, Doing push-ups in the middle of the crowd
monkeys,speed faults and all of that stuff. Everyone was looking but we didn't care  8)

-Robert

Offline alexander

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • warepire1 (facebook page)
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
i started training around a year ago but i mostly just joked around but now I'm getting pretty serious with it and I'm loving it parkour and freerunning is my life now i live it breathe it and eat and drink it xD but I'm also going to be starting 365/52 just like jimmy Davidson and i plan to become a beast like he has and maybe even better (yeah right) but yeah i started it because someone i used to hang out with used to do it and show it off and what not then one day he asked me and two of my friends if we wanted to so we did didn't really like it (he didn't show us how to do anything or any conditioning things or proper vaults ) but later we tried it with some of our other friends and we loved it mostly because of it's one shoe video we watched and made us really inspired to have fun with it and yeah live freely (jimmy Davidson ariakes video)
-warepire1

Offline Joshua

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
well to start off i play soccer to be honest i was an epic fail at it. reason why i didn't enjoy it very much i all ways get tired and the ball was a big pain in the ass. and i didn't have the hart for it. one i was watching American ninja warrior tryout and i saw this guy from Utah was pretty much like a allstar in that . well that next day i just try to do armature free ruining and even do i keep failing at, my heart never stop looking back on it. from to this day i do every time i can get in the rain and the snow I'm pretty stiff right now. but later on I'll be as flexable as a rubber band..

Offline Seth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »
Im 15 and found this i started my running career and trained for sports and when i found parkour it was like just wow. I saw David Belle and i was inspired by the way he thought of it and im starting a group up in the summer to train and i want this to spread but the only problem is that urban areas are hard to find where i live. I will make do and i condition for it i work on wall runs and im not interested in the trick aspect but the efficiency of it.

Offline Jacob Ellis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 19, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
Assassin's Creed....*nerdgasm*

Sinbadx11

« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
My love of Jackie Chan.
  Although KodiakClaw said...
..does it through fancy stuntman shit though, that isn't really practical.
  I feel as though a huge majority of his stunts are through fancy no-fear-about-the-situation and practicality.  I mean a small portion of stunts (very very small) done by Jackie Chan are not meant to be practical (i.e; when he pops candy or something into his mouth for the smooth factor) All of his movements and his way of overcoming obstacles are definitely practical.

And needless to say he is the reason I have always been interested in Parkour. I finally decided my body can actually do it.

Offline pam

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
I was on youtube watching parkour vids and i just got inspired.

Offline caiden garrison

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
the reason that inspired me to learn parkour is a friend i met on xbox live he said that theirs an awesome sport called parkour you should try it so i did and ended up liking it and now im trying to get better

Sinbadx11

« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »
the reason that inspired me to learn parkour is a friend i met on xbox live he said that theirs an awesome sport called parkour you should try it so i did and ended up liking it and now im trying to get better
+1

Offline Nick Henderson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
ive always wanted to find new ways to push myself. i love physical activity and i saw free running on youtube and decided to try it. over a year later i am still doing it and love every minute of it
PK all Day

Offline Jim

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2012, 01:25:59 AM »
I've always been pretty active and especially interested in self development. Also gymnastics was always my dream but i live in a very rural area in Australia so the golf course was the closest thing to a mat, bins to vaults and my legs to trampolines so that developed alot from there.
However when i saw David Guetta's film clip (forget which song) I was like "Whoa!", then I went onto Google and found out this urban ninja stuff actually had a name: Parkour. From there I used to continuously watch one of those hardcore jump off stuff as high as possible Parkour vids to that Rise Against song, Paper Wings. And yeah, just been developing from there.
A challenge is not a barrier but rather an opportunity to redefine ones character.

Offline Justin Shanks

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
I only learned about parkour 3 years ago,
I needed some sort of structure and outlet for a bunc of stuff, anger, depression, etc
parkour proved the self-development side of it to be useful, now I use it to exercise and to clear my head of stress and school

In other words i got hooked cause it helped me in basically every aspect of my life therefore it is AWESOME!!!

*side note, if you use google chrome and write parkour it says its wrong
The key to parkour (besides confidence) is diet, which is why I only eat vegetables, I recommend broccoli and a large variety of pizza.