Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142673 times)

Offline Kyle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #320 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
Hmm let's see started parkour roughly about 1 month ago and I heard about parkour from my ex girlfriend and a few people and wasn't really sure what it was so one day when I was feeling down and depressed about my life and thought what use am I to life the idea of parkour poped into my mind for some reason, I searched what it was on youtube and I was instantly inspired about everything about it, I felt like I had a brand new purpose in life. I usually train alone because my friends aren't really reliable at training with me. I usually train at my school park and I train everyday to improve my skills and I get a few cuts and bruises as I test out my noobie skills, but I always keep this motto in my head "Pain is for a moment Quitting is Forever".  And now I have noticed I have become both physically and mentally stronger.  :) (Also I have been able to react faster for some reason Awesome!)

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
Hmm let's see started parkour roughly about 1 month ago and I heard about parkour from my ex girlfriend and a few people and wasn't really sure what it was so one day when I was feeling down and depressed about my life and thought what use am I to life the idea of parkour poped into my mind for some reason, I searched what it was on youtube and I was instantly inspired about everything about it, I felt like I had a brand new purpose in life. I usually train alone because my friends aren't really reliable at training with me. I usually train at my school park and I train everyday to improve my skills and I get a few cuts and bruises as I test out my noobie skills, but I always keep this motto in my head "Pain is for a moment Quitting is Forever".  And now I have noticed I have become both physically and mentally stronger.  :) (Also I have been able to react faster for some reason Awesome!)
that really sounded like parkour got you through suicide
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Kyle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 20, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
that really sounded like parkour got you through suicide
Ya =D helped lots been much happier since I started parkour  ;D

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 23, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
first +1
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Jamie Costa

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »
Honestly what got me into freerunning was my love of adrenalin.

i used to skateboard but it wasnt gnarly enough for me ....

then i saw people like brian orosco and david belle and i was hooked.

FREERUN FOR LIFE

--Jiang Shi--

Offline Cory Finch

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
My love of Jackie Chan.  Most martial arts training just doesn't have the same oneness from ones environment.  He does it through fancy stuntman shit though, that isn't really practical, so when I went back to martial arts training I went looking for parkour instruction too, for something that would actually work.

Offline Memitchi

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
Man... Well, I bought Mirror's Edge 'cause I caw all of these really cool videos of it, and then I bought it and started researching real life parkour. I gawked, and gawked, and gawked at videos on YouTube, but never commited myself. And then my cousin, who has been doing parkour for 2 years, inspired me to learn it for real. And I did, and still am!

Offline tookus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 02, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »
Me and my friends always played chase and follow the leader in the city when we were kids, and then one day on youtube I saw that there were professionals doing stuff like we did. Since I was already pretty good I started doing it seriously.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2011, 08:28:22 AM »
I started parkour because I started tricking three years prior to practicing parkour. I thought it was all backflips and looking cool, but then I saw a guy doing some rather daring feats. I approached him and said "I bet you can't do a frontflip." His response, "It isn't a matter of whether I can or can't do a frontflip, I know I can't do one yet. I'll say this much about what I can do, it's much more important that getting my kicks, I'd rather sleep in bed tonight than at the hospital."
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Mequelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »
I wanted to do something unique not like football or skate boarding something unique so i choose pk. This all happened after i played mirrors edge on playstation. But before i was just a fat gamer kid with no abs.

Offline Daniel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 11, 2011, 06:04:35 AM »
Well I figured being homeschooled and what not Parkour was a sport I could do without issue *Sadly nobody to train with Wytheville Virginia*  So I started got the roll down FIRST THING and then I just started with it slowly Mirrors Edge helped a bit also
6 challenges completed
No retreat, no surrender. If the obstacle is too big or hard push yourself to overcome it - Me

Offline crazy cat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 14, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
I wanna know if somebody practice parkour or freerunning in cape coral or fort myers in florida? please contact me

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 14, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
I wanna know if somebody practice parkour or freerunning in cape coral or fort myers in florida? please contact me

You should be looking in these threads for people in your area.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Jordan Bates

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 17, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
I've always done flips and tricks since I was a kid. Now I'm starting to get into parkour/frerunning.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:37:29 AM by Jørdan »

Offline Jennifer

• Guenons
  • loves parkour
    • View Profile
    • Corpus Christi Parkour
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »
Well, I have always done parkour, even though I did not know what it was called. I was called the crazy kid, or the monkey, all of my family have had this trait at some point in their lives.

Exactly this!

My dad nicknamed me his little monkey when I was super young, so young that I don't remember when it started, it was just always that way. As I got older, I had an undeniable urge to climb ALL the THINGS!  ;D I climbed on top of the swingset rather than playing on the swings, I climbed my two-story house, I climbed over fences and got into trouble. And once I climbed, I jumped. I've always felt the urge to jump from high places (don't ask me why).  I learned to dive roll between strands of barbed wire. I learned to stand on my bike (I had a boy bike with the straight bar down the middle, instead of "girl's" style.) I would spend all day long away from home, out with my horse, and she'd end up grazing while I climbed persimmon trees or chased rabbits through blackberry patches.

Climbing, running, jumping, swimming, diving, rolling...I identified so strongly with those sorts of movements that when I got older and settled into a life of being a mother and a wife and a writer, I felt like I was no longer myself. The "monkey" in me was dying. I went into a serious depression.

Then I saw some people doing parkour in a park. I chased them down and begged them to train me. Since that first day, I've felt like myself again. No more depression, just pure joy in movement.

Offline James

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
Honestly, I was channel surfing and I saw a show called American Ninja Warrior. Most of the contestants were saying they practiced by doing Parkour and Free Running. I searched it on google and got interested. 

Offline mondo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 28, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
i always loved to go fast... i drove fast cars..i ran fast but it was never really enough the faster i got the more i wanted..my dream has always been to learn how to fly..since i saw superman..as a kid i wanted to do that..then i saw the new  james bond and they should that free runner..it seemed free like he could do anything like peaceful..the world was his play ground thats wats i wanted

Offline alex

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • love the feeling of flying
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
 :D i love saying this story ......im only 19 and ive been doing parkour and freerunning for almost 12 yrs i started training after my leg was healed after a nasty dirtbike accident and it took me 2 yrs to heal one day while i was in the hospital i looked out the window and on the roof i see a guy getting chased by security and he was moving with so much flow and speed he made the security guys look like fat lazy smucks ....so after i got out the hospital after my leg was healed i took an oath and ive been training scence and now i have no fear ive done everything with freerunn and now its part of my life and i will never stop with the flow lol
mr.ninja

Offline Derek white

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
to be totally honest Assassins Creed. by the first one i thought dang thats tight. by the second one i bcame nearly obssessed and me and my friend thought well why not try that it doesnt look to hard so hey lets go haha. we started to train and got more and more into it we started with simple climbing up objects and from that point on ive always loved parkour (or in their case free-running) haha man i just cant get enough. ;D :D

Offline isaiah rivera

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »
Watched Worst Case Scenario: Being chased, they said the word Freerunners, looked it up on google, found a video, and got hooked. ;D
10 push ups per post