Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 141895 times)

Offline Alan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Flip Yeah, Parkour!
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
Of course real people do it. How else would it have been on video? ^_^

Haha, I always thought freerunners were like ninjas... mythical creatures trained from birth to have god-like physical abilities, which they use to avoid normal people.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
Haha, I always thought freerunners were like ninjas... mythical creatures trained from birth to have god-like physical abilities, which they use to avoid normal people.
This would make us sooooo freaking awesome if it were true. Granted we look awesome doing it already. But god-like abilities sounds even cooler.

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:14 AM »
I'm awesome, so I thought I should do awesome things.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
I'm awesome, so I thought I should do awesome things.
Okay...how did you find out about parkour? Or nonetheless if you found that on your own, how did you find apk?

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
Okay...how did you find out about parkour? Or nonetheless if you found that on your own, how did you find apk?
YouTube.
Google.

Offline Nick

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »
i was actually looking for teams in AZ and it came up with APK
i was like "wat is that?"" so i looked at it and vie been training ever since
my mom doesn't think i can do it zoo she's makin me seriously work out
if only she knew she was making my job soooooo much easier
Buildings are your friends.

Offline Michael Grauer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:28 AM »
I saw a commercial for the 2009 barclaycard freerunning event, so I got my family to watch it with me.  As I watched it, I thought "hey I do some of that stuff all the time," so I started pushing myself to be as good as them.

Offline jaycee

• Guenons
  • \m/ (>_<) \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2011, 04:24:54 AM »
I was watching the video for "It's Not My Time" by 3 Doors Down. For some reason, I was possessed to go read the Wikipedia article on the song, which mentioned that the guy in the video was doing parkour.

As someone who's always hated team sports (which is the sort of exercise my parents always pushed me towards), but always loved doing stuff like climbing fences, it immediately clicked that that was what I wanted to do. ;D
who controls the past now controls the future
who controls the present now controls the past
who controls the past now controls the future
who controls the present now?

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
I was watching the video for "It's Not My Time" by 3 Doors Down. For some reason, I was possessed to go read the Wikipedia article on the song, which mentioned that the guy in the video was doing parkour.

As someone who's always hated team sports (which is the sort of exercise my parents always pushed me towards), but always loved doing stuff like climbing fences, it immediately clicked that that was what I wanted to do. ;D
I like this one. :D I was never a team sports person either. Btw, love your avvy too.

Offline ArchieThomas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
Me and a friend starting jumping off the odd wall and trying frontflips in my garden, and thought we were being original. Then his mum bought jump london thinking it was a fantastic movie, only to be dissapointed by the fact it was a documentary, we found it in a box a few weeks later and after watching it was introduced to the whole world of freerunning and parkour, the rest, as they say, is history  :)

Offline Keifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
I was playing Assassin's Creed one day and I thought what Altair was doing was so cool but impossible and I'll never be able to do it. Then I was at a friend's house and he was playing Mirror's Edge and I just couldn't stop watching him play the game. Then he told me it was played with parkour and that he was actually going to learn parkour. At the time, I had no idea what parkour was so I was like, "Whaaaa???????" He showed me videos of David Belle on YouTube and, again, I thought it was amazing but, being the groundwalker I used to be, figured it impossible. THEN he pointed me to this site and I was just looking around on it one night and noticed it had tutorials. That's when my brain clicked and I took up the sport of parkour. Ever since then I've been using this site and YouTube to learn parkour and I've gotten really good at it. Parkour has helped me gain confidence, a healthy lifestyle, and some strange looks from the teachers at my school. LOL Anyways, parkour has changed my life and I never really liked any sport except for parkour. I am so happy to be able to say, "I practice a sport. It's called parkour." It has just become a part of me ever since that day 3 years ago when I saw David Belle doing what he does best and finding the tutorials on this site that made me realize I can do this. Nothing can keep me down, not even gravity. :)
Have fun and screw gravity. ;D

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I thought it was amazing but, being the groundwalker I used to be, figured it impossible. THEN he pointed me to this site and I was just looking around on it one night and noticed it had tutorials.
Ever heard one of the popular quotes among traceurs? "Impossible is only the beginning."

Offline Michael Thompson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
I've been doing it all my life. I didn't know it was called parkour until recently, but I've always loved climbing trees, jumping, running, and climbing all over things to do things my friends said I couldn't do just to prove them wrong. I know that's not what parkour is about, but it's how I got how I am. Also, anyone else find it funny that the spell check on this site says "parkour" isn't a word?

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
Also, anyone else find it funny that the spell check on this site says "parkour" isn't a word?
It is if you right click the word and select "Add to dictionary."

Offline Keifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
Ever heard one of the popular quotes among traceurs? "Impossible is only the beginning."

Dude, that's deep....and inspirational. XD -updates facebook status to that very quote-
Btw, your signature made me ROTFLMFAO. XD

I avoid normal people from day-to-day. They can be quite drab and annoyingly similar. Most of my friends are not normal, but sadly they are groundwalkers. I've tried to teach them but they don't understand that they shouldn't be sagging there skinny jeans not only because it creates yet another obstacle in parkour, but also bc IT LOOKS STUPID.

i was actually looking for teams in AZ and it came up with APK
i was like "wat is that?"" so i looked at it and vie been training ever since
my mom doesn't think i can do it zoo she's makin me seriously work out
if only she knew she was making my job soooooo much easier

LOL, parental failure. Well, actually, it's just a failure to her intentions, but a parental win for yours. XD

Offline Ratchetrockon

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2011, 04:27:32 AM »
Two years ago I stumbled upon a ripley's believe it or not segment about the Yamakasi!

Researched about it a little bit and found out they were practicing a physical discipline called parkour..

My journey started off by me jumping down high 10 feet+ objects because I thought that was what parkour was all about.. Jumping down buildings and doing flips :P, the common misconception parkour has towards non-practitioners.

Then I moved from the states to Okinawa, and learned a bit more about what 'true' parkour is, and I started taking my training seriously.

I'm now trying out more variety of movements and I hope to keep training till adulthood...

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #296 on: July 19, 2011, 04:35:58 AM »

I'm now trying out more variety of movements and I hope to keep training till adulthood...
While you keep training 'till adulthood, I'll keep training for the rest of my life. ;)

Offline Keifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 28, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
While you keep training 'till adulthood, I'll keep training for the rest of my life. ;)

I haven't lived a full life until I either die of old age next to my traceur children and traceur grandchildren, or until I die while practicing parkour. Either way, parkour will be a part of me until the day I die. Then I will just perform some mad parkour in the afterlife. XD

Offline michaelb87

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »
in 8th grade i became really interested in martial arts so i started trying to get into shape. one day i was about to go for a run when the ultimate parkour challenge come on tv so after seeing the first part of it i sat down and watched the rest and i was like this is what i want to do. after that i did some research and found this website.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:38:13 PM by michael b87 »

Offline TheBigLOL

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 13, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
Because parkour is beast.  You fell beast when you are doing parkour.
Tricking is beast, you should try it.