Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142671 times)

Offline kenny nivens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
I got my start about two years ago when i saw these people jumping around on the playground equiptment at Shady Side Park in Anderson, Indiana. when i asked them what they were doing i thought they said "hardcore"at first. Either way they showed me how to roll and kong. i went home and looked up "hardcore" on youtube and found nothing usefull, so i went to my room and started playing the first assassin's creed where i saw that ir said free running. so i went back downstairs to the computer and found that it was called parkour. ever since i've been training and found that parkour is in fact the greatest thing someone can do with their life :D
Have you ever thought, could do?

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
I got my start about two years ago when i saw these people jumping around on the playground equiptment at Shady Side Park in Anderson, Indiana. when i asked them what they were doing i thought they said "hardcore"at first. Either way they showed me how to roll and kong. i went home and looked up "hardcore" on youtube and found nothing usefull, so i went to my room and started playing the first assassin's creed where i saw that ir said free running. so i went back downstairs to the computer and found that it was called parkour. ever since i've been training and found that parkour is in fact the greatest thing someone can do with their life :D
HECK YES! Also, if you love parkour/freerunning and maybe you want to learn a martial arts with it, there is combined freerunning with martial arts, look up capoeira, you won't regret it. =D

Offline Alexwoolums1234

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »
I found that it calms my mind and brings relaxation to my body, also another reason to go outside and workout. I first started doing parkour after a parkour video on my own, I went to my back yard and did a dive roll and it hurt the very first time , but i am on top of my game now. I am doing wall jumps and vaults a lot faster than before.

Offline kalinflip

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
I know i already replied to this post but i forgot to tell you guys and gals the other reason.For starting. my older brother was always hunting me and beating the hell out of me.so i loved mirrors edge and ac.so i reasearched parkour. learnt the basic's.2 months later me and him go to a local park. i punch him in the crotch. he chases after me.i did a kong vault. he tried clipped up under his feet.did a face plant fron flip.At first i felt linda bad for him then the memories came back.I slaped him in the back of the head.and ran ;D ;D ;D :D :D.he still makes fun of and says look im kalin i just did a roll.then i ask him rember that day in the park??
98 pounds of pure speed.

Offline kalinflip

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
i know i already poasted on this but i forgot to tell you guys the other reason i started parkour.my brother was faster and stronger than me but i qwned a lot of games that were parkour related.so i lerent all the basic and more 8).2 months lateer we go to aour local park.he chases me i so a kong valut he tries it face plant5s i fell kind of bad but the meromires come back i tell him to get up im not done yet and run best day ever
98 pounds of pure speed.

Offline Eugene

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
someone posted a vid on my sisters facebook wall called "my morning run" she told me to watch it i was like =O and then my friend was making a list of ways to live life (not a bucket .list just fun stuff) and i showed him the video and said, go do that =P and he was like thats some epic parkour... i don't think i could do that i was parkour? googled it and been training ever since
Everyone can try to get rid of us, my theory is, they need to catch us first :P

"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline Gene

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
i had a friend introduce it to me about 3.5 years ago. i dabbled in it a little bit, but never picked it up seriously. about a year ago, a good friend of mine decided to get into it and asked if i wanted to train with him. been training ever since =)

Offline parkourman1234

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
i found out through mirrors edge but i was instantly in love with it and wanted to train so  found winston salem parkour and free running and joined it and i lolve it i train when i can because im still in high school so i go out most weekends to train
Dedication is what motivates people to do what we love. without it we will never succeed in doing what we love.

Offline zack montgomery

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
yea i was in eight grade when i found out about it through my friend who did martial arts but didnt really start until 9th when a kid moved from wisconsin to texas where i live and he did it so me and him trained until he moved back to wisconsin now i train on my own

Offline forthestego

• Guenons
  • Praise the stego.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
First parkour video I ever saw was Skipper's 09 sampler. I still listen to that song, gives me good inspiration haha.
The name's Tails.

Power is nothing without control. 10PU

Peoria Parkour co-founder.

Offline Tr4c3ur

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
My neighbor found it online somewhere.  He got bored with it and stopped, but I found it to be amazing and continued to do it.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
I think youtube (or the internet in general) is the biggest contributer to growing the parkour community. Sadly, most are uninformed. That's what I love about APK, we show it's not roof jumping :P
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Jump London. There is way more to my story but that's for a different thread.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Donald Morrow

• Guenons
  • I <3 Andy + Jordan
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »
I had seen various parkour vids on youtube and such, as well as played Mirrors Edge. I just never thought it possible for me to do it, but I finally figured, why not? That is after watching a few Gorilla vids :)
People can say 'You can't, you won't, you never will', but believe in yourself, and you will do the impossible. - Me

Offline Brian Morgan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2011, 04:58:46 AM »
Parkour was shown to me by a friend. I just jumped in it. It looked interesting. So I started out with something basic, a vault which I hardly knew anything about at the time. Then He teached me the must know stuff. As I kept going, I got a flow with it. I forgot about my problems and stress.

At the time I think it was to relieve stress. (which it still is). So I'm thankful I found it.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" --Gandhi

"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more."
-- Erica Jong

‎"If you're afraid to fall you fall because you're afraid. Everything in life is choice" -Daniel Illabaca

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 05, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
I started because I thought the fluid motion was so natural and beautiful. When I get in the Zone I feel like a beast. Natural. Feral. Graceful. And relentless.
It is another step toward nirvana and unity.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
I've always loved being (or trying to be) agile. I have also never truly liked any particular sport--the closest thing I had was soccer, because that involved moving my feet nimbly.

Then in my early teens I got into skateboarding. I guess I felt like I wanted to change myself and be athletic, involved, and skilled. I loved the idea of practicing specialized physical activities until you can do things that impress yourself and others. The thing is, I was never as passionate about it in actions as I was in imagination. My main problem is that I was too scared to try basic techniques; I didn't really want to entrust my safety to a wooden board with wheels...

Then last January, a video of Mirror's Edge caught my eye. (This is absolutely the way it happened.) I felt a rush watching this first-person gameplay where the player could get over tall fences and onto buildings seemingly without difficulty. It seemed so liberating. So, not having any idea about what was being portrayed, I Wikipedia'd the game, thinking I might buy it.

That was where I first saw the words "parkour" and "freerunning"--right at the top of the Mirror's Edge Wikipedia page. I had no idea what this weird-looking word "parkour" meant, but "freerunning" sounded really cool. It had that same liberating feel I had found in the Mirror's Edge video. I Googled freerunning and found lots of videos of people doing complex flips.

I thought to myself, "Pssh, showoffs." Intrigued but not really inspired by their antics, I went back and looked up Parkour. And that was when it started. "Adapting movments to get around in the most efficient way possible?" From the videos I saw, it looked like the kind of agility had always wanted to have--being put to good use. And I had always thought functional strength meant being able to lift heavy stuff....

The very next weekend I went out to the local skateboard park (memories, memories) and used it this time to start trying out some basic parkour stuff. It was nothing really focused or specific (I didn't know of most of the techniques yet), but the next day I hurt all over! At that point I realized that I had gotten a full-body workout without even an effort, because it was so much fun at the time. A quality workout that's fun...? I had found something amazing...

I've been hooked ever since. (Uh, yeah, only four months.) But I've improved a lot, and I now look forward to every Wednesday when I can get together with other traceurs at Sokol Gymnastics in Cedar Rapids. It may easily be the best time I've had in my life, and it only keeps getting better.

So that was a really long answer! But it was good to reminisce, and maybe some guy stumbling on these forums for the first time will be inspired by this. Big thanks to the  Internet, the makers of Mirror's Edge and the people of APK for helping me find my own unique journey!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Kick the Moon/Flash Kick
-Flow!

Offline Tyler Trumpy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2011, 01:40:51 AM »
I watched Baniliue 13, being absolutely stunned by david belle's "inhuman" like movements, I wanted to feel it for myself, to see what traceurs see, to feel what they feel, and now here I am!

Offline Alan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Flip Yeah, Parkour!
« Reply #278 on: May 25, 2011, 09:50:23 AM »
About 14 months ago parkour was mentioned in a comment on a (purely internet) friend's facebook page. I had seen one or two parkour videos before, but I didn't think any real people did it. So I asked her about parkour and she explained what it is. I looked up more PK videos on youtube and realized that PK isn't all about flips and jumping off rooftops. So then I tried a lazy vault... Now parkour is one of the most important things in my life.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
About 14 months ago parkour was mentioned in a comment on a (purely internet) friend's facebook page. I had seen one or two parkour videos before, but I didn't think any real people did it. So I asked her about parkour and she explained what it is. I looked up more PK videos on youtube and realized that PK isn't all about flips and jumping off rooftops. So then I tried a lazy vault... Now parkour is one of the most important things in my life.
Of course real people do it. How else would it have been on video? ^_^