Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142624 times)

Offline Original

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »
My friend showed me a link on YouTube of parkour in action. I've been wanting to start training ever since, but haven't had the time. This was several months ago.

I've just begun training recently, and I still rewatch those videos for motivation.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2011, 10:06:05 PM »
My friend showed me a link on YouTube of parkour in action. I've been wanting to start training ever since, but haven't had the time. This was several months ago.

I've just begun training recently, and I still rewatch those videos for motivation.
Who DOESN'T rewatch those videos? :p

Offline kalinflip

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2011, 03:52:32 AM »
this is in my response to my
other post because i didn't give a valid reason. :-[

i had been playing a lot of games that had parkour in them so i decided to try my luck and see if i liked it.and as it turns out i did.i even got my friend intreged  the activity.   
98 pounds of pure speed.

Offline Rocket Man38

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
red bull

Offline Jared Clark

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »
Same as a lot of others - Youtube videos.

I intended to try it about three years ago but I really didn't embrace the skill and gave up. I rediscovered the storm free-run video and decided to uptake the sport yet again and now I'm here, again.

Offline STpsycho.

• Guenons
  • John-Henry Lane Jr
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Jump London,  I was hooked at that point.  Could not be more amazed or inspired by what the human body was capable of.
"In real Parkour, there’s no flip. The goal is to keep it simple, efficient and to train movements in which you trust" -David Belle

Offline Kawika13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
hey ummm dos some of u ppl do parkour in the open :-\...like wen your in school do u parkour or no :-\...i'm asking because when i'm in school there is nothing to do...i wana pk but i'm just shame to do it because ppl think i'm like crazy so if u ppl can help me out message me thanx and mahalo  :)
D-Islands

Offline Jared Clark

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »
This isn't the appropriate thread for asking that.

Nonetheless, you'll look like a fool and would probably get in trouble for it unless you're in like 5th grade.

Offline AaronSamples

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Fear is the mind's way of limiting the body
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
This isn't the appropriate thread for asking that.

Nonetheless, you'll look like a fool and would probably get in trouble for it unless you're in like 5th grade.
Thats kinda harsh, I think if you find a group of friends who do parkour too at your school you could find a spot to practice during lunch or something, but it would probably end up with a teacher breaking it up. Unless you have cool teachers.
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." - 2 Timothy 1:7

Fear is the minds way of limiting the body, to remove all fear is to remove all limits.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/A-SkyfiOriginal/10PostChM2105.png

Offline Jared Clark

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »
I admit i was a little harsh on the 5th grade comment, yes. But firstly, this isn't the correct thread to ask in. Second, I'd rather let him know that he could get in trouble for it. The choice is entirely up to him but I just wanted to point out that he would probably look silly [Unless he's doing so full on tricking]

Offline AJ Hallmon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
I've always wanted to be a ninja from my lifelong love of video games. Of course, in my early childhood (where imaginations run wild) I would run around my old house jumping over things and learning handstands. Later, I would always go out in the woods with my sister and we would explore the woods... which, in doing so, reuired us to come up with some creative ways to get past things. I never really got into school sports, though I started skateboarding at a young age (and still do so today).

Back in 2006, I started watching the G4TV show "Ninja Warrior", which I thought was really cool. I didn't really even know there was an actual name for "parkour" until the release of Mirror's Edge, which is still one of my favorite games of all time.

That sparked my interest, but i still didn't really get into it. In fact, when I got into high school, I began to get really lazy, spending entire weeks inside on a computer modding games and editing videos. I never got fat (I have an extremely high metabolism), but always stayed really slim and never had any physical strength to do much.

My dad kept on trying to get me to work out, but I just never could commit.

However, in early December, I watched the "Storm Freerun - Volume 1" vid and got really inspired by it. A friend of mine seen it at the same time, called me up, and said "Dude, we gotta do this. This is awesome!"

Since then, we've been working out in our local, unused baseball park, and in mid January was when we really got into the parkour element, learning the basics like the roll, kongs and dahses, and whatnot.

We live in central Mississippi, which is not a parkour heavy area, so we decided to start a local club of folks from school to have jams every weekend and train. Suprisingly, a number of people were interested (we live in a community where basketball and football are the only school sponsored and generally cared about sports). Currantly, we have 2 other members in the group, but more people are asking about it each day.

Our goal is to continue to train and better ourselves, while learning to overcome the environment and all obstacles in life, as well as spread the movement in the south.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
I admit i was a little harsh on the 5th grade comment, yes. But firstly, this isn't the correct thread to ask in. Second, I'd rather let him know that he could get in trouble for it. The choice is entirely up to him but I just wanted to point out that he would probably look silly [Unless he's doing so full on tricking]
Parkour related, still belongs in general discussion. The mods will not be concerned about a genuine question, so getting in trouble is not likely.

hey ummm dos some of u ppl do parkour in the open :-\...like wen your in school do u parkour or no :-\...i'm asking because when i'm in school there is nothing to do...i wana pk but i'm just shame to do it because ppl think i'm like crazy so if u ppl can help me out message me thanx and mahalo  :)
Indeed. I haven't been lately though because of the cold weather, ice and snow everywhere. It's all starting to melt though. Part of parkour is being free, within limitations of course, we do have things against trespassing. So if you wanna do parkour, do it. If everybody else thinks you are crazy, tell them they are crazy for not having fun.

Offline Jared Clark

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:47 AM »
The mods will not be concerned about a genuine question, so getting in trouble is not likely.

I was referring to his school question >_>

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
I was referring to his school question >_>
Well...

like wen your in school do u parkour or no
While it could be a topic on its own, it could still be asked here. Have you seen how many times people on the forums get off topic? Too many times to count.

Offline Rocket Man38

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
SPRING!!!

Offline Daniel Burkdoll

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Video games and youtube. :)

Offline RETROMZ

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
I saw David Belle's "Rush Hour" video.

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2011, 06:50:43 AM »
I've seen vids on it, but Josh Wright really got me into it first.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline TraceurNick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »
I got bored doing martial arts and I always loved climbing things as well as watching youtube vids on tricks so I researched a martial arts team [that did more crowd pleasing tricks] and saw people commenting about pk tricks so I decided to look it up and got hooked from it.

Offline Brandon Entric

• Guenons
  • Chaparral Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
I was introduced to parkour about a year ago by a friend, tried it out for a bit, but was always too busy to really get into it, so I dropped it. Picked it up during the summer again, and I just did really basic training for a few months. (Extremely slow progression, but I was diligent, training and condition every day for an hour.) However, I only really started to pick it up 2-3 months ago, and started really trying to condition and advance myself, mentally and physically.