Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142677 times)

Offline Nodalor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
@GoingBzerk
Yeah, no need to be embarrassed. :) I'm no expert, but in my opinion no matter why you are doing parkour I'm glad you are and are a part of the community! (Though it does help to have good motives for continuing)
Cheers mates! Don't sweat the small stuff :)

Offline pancakerz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
i saw videos on the internet a couple years ago and thought "shit. i wish i could do that"
and then recently i decided, 'hey, why not learn to do it?'

Offline Freeflyer_09

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
 ;D Well I was just about 10 or 11 and I loved to run! I just went went went! My dad is in the National Guard and I can still out run him in distance  :) But I always ran in the woods on the ATV trails behind my house so one day I looked at my phone to see what time it was and I was pretty far in the woods.......realizing that I had 15 mins. to get home I decided to venture off of the trails as fast as possible! I ducked and dived, jump and climbed, leeped and crawled once I was at the bottom in my developement I stopped and was like WOW!! I just kept going didnt even have problems breathing (i have sports ashma) I was to focused on my movements and getting home on time...............so longest part of the story short I continued to stay off the trails didnt even know what "parkour" was then 1 year later saw a group of people on a youtube video in the woods doing all these cool tricks and jumps and thought so that what it's called.............the end lol  ;D

Offline Jake Lessin

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »
For the most part, Youtube. i saw videos on parkour and stuff, and i was like "this is really cool." and i had been doing a little parkour previous to that, but i only got into it about 2 months ago.

Offline Jacob Werner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
@Nalern
Ive got motives too!

The World. My Playground. 
The Streets. My Home. 
The Architecture. My Inspiration. 
The Fear. My Motivation. 
The Sweat, the Scars, the Pain. My Proof.
My Name. Traceur.

Offline michigancitypk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
MTV's Ultimate Parkour Challenge, the one with Danny Ilabaca. To this day he is my idol.

Offline Dillon Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
I began to prove people wrong. I've always been on the skinny side, (and asthma didn't help), and was always called a "weakling" or a "loser". I needed a way to show that I am, both mentally, and physically strong. I'd known about parkour and free running for a long time, so i went for it. It has greatly improved my quality of life, grades, and relationships.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2011, 05:11:07 AM »
I began to prove people wrong. I've always been on the skinny side, (and asthma didn't help), and was always called a "weakling" or a "loser". I needed a way to show that I am, both mentally, and physically strong. I'd known about parkour and free running for a long time, so i went for it. It has greatly improved my quality of life, grades, and relationships.
If you can't tell, I too am on the skinny side. I had similar if not the exact problems you have. I will tell you this now. Do not WAIT to learn breakdancing, learn it NOW. It's seriously fun and as you guessed, is something at least 99% of the kids at your school (or wherever you go) can't do.

Offline Jake Lessin

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:06 AM »
i 'm only 5'5" and 105lbs and i also have asthma but i didn 't have the "loser" problems. I did wrestling so only some people thought i was weak (those who i didn 't wrstle:)) but it gets better.

Offline Ryan Frosten

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
Saw some videos years ago, showed my ex but she said I'd just get hurt and waste my time. After a two year relationship that ended in a way that just destroyed me, I remembered an old friend talking about it. He left for the USMC last August, but he pretty much inspired me to give it a try.

Still hate myself for letting my ex talk me out of it.

Offline Dillon Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
i 'm only 5'5" and 105lbs and i also have asthma but i didn 't have the "loser" problems. I did wrestling so only some people thought i was weak (those who i didn 't wrstle:)) but it gets better.

Well, you're also light and short. I'm 5'11" and 135 pounds, but yeah, my stamina has definitely increased since I've started, and I get respect from people that see me train. It's a great feeling!

Offline Jake Lessin

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
Well, you're also light and short. I'm 5'11" and 135 pounds, but yeah, my stamina has definitely increased since I've started, and I get respect from people that see me train. It's a great feeling!
but with being light comes very little muscle mass so i 'm not that strong, and i don 't train in public seeing as how i 've only been in public 3 times since i started traing.

Offline scott

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
but with being light comes very little muscle mass so i 'm not that strong, and i don 't train in public seeing as how i 've only been in public 3 times since i started traing.
it doesn't matter if your light, your muscle mass doesn't have to increase, you could condition them to where they focus on speed and stamina instead of strength, or go strength and speed.
all it is is the way you exercise and to what side you choose and the extent, you get out what you put in bro
Any sound can shake the air, my voice shakes the heart. Any tree can drop an apple, but I'll drop the freakin moon.

Offline Jake Lessin

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
strength and speed all the way. know any excercises that work on speed?
my abs are strong but its getting kinda flabby. they got strong from what i called "explosive bridges." in wrestling, when i was about to get pinned i would "explode" and roll to on side and pin them. :)

Offline Erus de Parkour

• Patas
  • I'm A traceur for God
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
Well, I was introduced to parkour via a friend, and he introduced me to this website. So I checked out vids on youtube, hung out with the friend, and started practicing. Plus, before this, I had become very lazy, not doing anything but games... even though i was still somehow very thin. I wanted to do something productive, so I started practicing. So I have more than 1 reason for starting.
“Parkour belongs to the ones who live it, not the ones who want to live thanks to it” -David Belle

365 Day Challenge

Offline Raymond Justice

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »
I really started wen i was jus a wewe baby(13)naw i jus love da rush u get wen ur doing a kong or front flip and its da best 2 watch and learn
Activity & vigor

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
I have always been into martial arts and obstacle courses as a young child, I can't remember a time where I wasn't into martial arts as a kid, then when I was about 8 years old, I saw a video on youtube of that video i'm sure all of you have seen called Urban Ninjas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kJZOfq7zk . So I saw that and loved it I have always been creating little obstacles in my house out of little plastic chairs and pillows and used the couches haha. then about four years later, I found apk through google and have been training ever since. I love what Freerunning has done for me, it has made me mature, respectfull and boosted self confidence. That's my story short.

`~Nick Smith~`
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Seth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »
This video introduced me to the name of the crazy @$$ sh*t that I love to do!

Professor LongHair, Big Chief

Offline TheShow12

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »
For the past few years i have been working on getting in great shape for soccer. by doing so i have met alot of people including some new friends who had already stated training for parkour. i watched some of their videos and i have had a passion for it ever sense. After watching videos on youtube of professionals and have been working hard to get better. 

Offline mikez195

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
id say 3run and insperation and the fact i wanted to fly and my art teachers brother made it up on mtv and she made me meet him and he was the so called creator haha he's good im glad he made freerunning we all love it but 3run and i guess my art teacher