Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142633 times)

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
and now it is like the ultimate escape
ISN'T IT?!

Offline Slifer_aru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • if your afraid to fall you'll fall...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
ASSASSINS CREED!!!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Johann Wolfgang von Goethe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

Offline alyssa summers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2010, 11:37:59 PM »
The video game assasins creed. And my brother

Offline Brett Jackson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
It is all about emotion.
It started as an angry thrash at the world and everyone in it. Jumping, running, falling, hurting, rolling, hurting, hurting. I didn't know what i was doing, i just kind of...went for it. i climbed fences and walls, and liked jumping off things. It just kinda came to me. finally, i started to see more and more parkour videos and stuff in movies. I did very little research, and decided i was a free runner. (so ignorant)
I changed. my actions, my words, my thoughts, my life. I changed everything. My reason for doing my "free running" went from anger and hate, to a fun pastime. It felt cool, and VERY few people could do it. (nothing too fancy, or technical, just getting over stuff)
I kept changing. Finally, i was able to control myself, and my life. My emotions are stable, and my thoughts are clear. I am a fluid, compassionate, natural, moving, outgoing, helpful, efficient, intense, person. i am parkour. parkour is me. every day, in every way, i am better. At parkour. at life. all the same. 
~~ "And David Belle said, 'Let there be life,' and there was Parkour."

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
Being pretty new to it, I have to say that I needed a way to stay excited and fit after I realized that my main hobby (Muay Thai) was having a negative impact on how my 2 year old was viewing violence.  I thought it was cute when he was hitting my punching bag, but when he started to hit his older brother, it made me stop and think, "Maybe he doesn't understand that this is just a sport."  I thought about it, and I like pushing myself, but it seemed that I might also be inspired by the process of running despite the little things in the way.  It's a way for an old man to get out and show that old dogs aren't incapable of new tricks.  ;D

My Fiance' actually had suggested it, and seems pretty interested in getting involved too.  It might be the stangest family outing in history in the future, but why limit ourselves to "family night" being all about playing Scrabble, when there's so many more exciting things to do.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Sarai Brock

• PREGGERZ!
  • Ambassador
  • Patas
  • Life is a fairytale touched by the hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »
Well... I guess I should start off by saying I'm JBPaladin's fiancĂ©... so he's covered why he's doing it and I'm doing it because I'm fiercely competitive... honestly I think it's a sport that he will really enjoy and I refuse to be shown up... if he can do it so can I.  I think that it will be AWESOME for family outings... we have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a 2 year old in our lives and they already show a sincere love for jumping and running over things rather than around them... more than once our living room has turned into a giant obstacle course with couches and cushions being jumped on... I think that if we perfect this sport now we can teach it to the kids and enjoy it as a family... we'll start our own little tribe :-)
Because that's the way I tuck and roll...

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
Well... I guess I should start off by saying I'm JBPaladin's fiancĂ©... so he's covered why he's doing it and I'm doing it because I'm fiercely competitive... honestly I think it's a sport that he will really enjoy and I refuse to be shown up... if he can do it so can I.  I think that it will be AWESOME for family outings... we have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a 2 year old in our lives and they already show a sincere love for jumping and running over things rather than around them... more than once our living room has turned into a giant obstacle course with couches and cushions being jumped on... I think that if we perfect this sport now we can teach it to the kids and enjoy it as a family... we'll start our own little tribe :-)
Your intentions are good, but parkour isn't about being competitive. Just saying. I can see why you thank that, but once you dig down deep into the philosophy...its about YOUR OWN journey, YOUR OWN path, YOUR OWN movements. You're not comparing to any other practicioners. Its about you. You're discovering how you view  life through parkour, and how you view parkour through life. Parkour isn't like any other hobby, or art, or whatever you want to call this amazing act.

When you're doing parkour, you don't strive to be beat one another. You can strive to get better, but not getting anymore better than another practicioner. Its just not right. There are exceptions for competition, though. Take Ninja Warrior, for example. The competitors try to help one another win. They teach them, they train with them, they motivate them to keep going and not to give up. They don't try to be better than anyone. They try to win, but thats different. They aren't like "Yo, man, get outta muh face. I'm trying to win, I don't care if you need tips for the Cliff Hanger, I'm doing me, and you're doing you". Not like that at all. So, when you say
and I'm doing it because I'm fiercely competitive... honestly I think it's a sport that he will really enjoy and I refuse to be shown up...
, then you  aren't really being a "true practicioner", so to speak.

Its okay if there is a little "friendly competition, I guess. Just like, pushing each other to do there bests. But not trying to be better than anyone (; But I think its awesome that you're getting the whole family into it. If I see a reality show called "Family Movement" or something, I know it'll be you all. Best of luck to you guys.  ;D

BTW, you're appearance has really changed. Props for sticking do the diet&exercise.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:27:28 PM by Joshywa »
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Slifer_aru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • if your afraid to fall you'll fall...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
jus sayin, reading the two a couple posts above mines reasons made me shed a tear :') especially the "our own little tribe" thing :_)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Johann Wolfgang von Goethe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

Offline D. Hadzic

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »
I've always been a technical person myself, focusing more on my mind and looking for ways for technology to compensate for the physical side of my life.
And that it has, but I don't find myself happy as a result.
These days I realize that the key to well-being is being fit both mentally AND physically. The question was how to apply my body.

I cared nothing for bodybuilding, football, basketball, etc. Running was good, but I found myself craving more.
Then I discovered parkour.

While I'm not jumping through railings or anything quite yet, I am building my body, balance, and mindset to a level where I would be able to perform it safely.

(note: I wasn't fat as a kid, if that's the impression you got.)
Don't just go running, go running with "style"

Offline Sarai Brock

• PREGGERZ!
  • Ambassador
  • Patas
  • Life is a fairytale touched by the hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
Your intentions are good, but parkour isn't about being competitive. Just saying. I can see why you thank that, but once you dig down deep into the philosophy...its about YOUR OWN journey, YOUR OWN path, YOUR OWN movements. You're not comparing to any other practicioners. Its about you. You're discovering how you view  life through parkour, and how you view parkour through life. Parkour isn't like any other hobby, or art, or whatever you want to call this amazing act.

Ok let me rephrase my "I refuse to be shown up" statement :-)  A year ago I was a size 16 and weighed about 180+lbs... now I'm a size 6... I thought a lot of things were impossible for me to do back then because I was heavy, but I'm learning that I was limiting myself... I am not altogether strong or sporty, but I refuse to let my fear stop me... I can improve myself... I can do parkour... and I can do it with Mi Amore... it's not about competing with him... more about just proving to myself that if he can do it so can I.  Trust me... the last year has been a HUGE journey to "my own path"... I should be more clear when I share... :-)  Thanks for all your encouraging words.

jus sayin, reading the two a couple posts above mines reasons made me shed a tear :') especially the "our own little tribe" thing :_)

Aww... Thanks... we're excited!!  We'll definitely have to share our kid's journey into Parkour with you guys too!!
Because that's the way I tuck and roll...

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
Ok let me rephrase my "I refuse to be shown up" statement :-)  A year ago I was a size 16 and weighed about 180+lbs... now I'm a size 6... I thought a lot of things were impossible for me to do back then because I was heavy, but I'm learning that I was limiting myself... I am not altogether strong or sporty, but I refuse to let my fear stop me... I can improve myself... I can do parkour... and I can do it with Mi Amore... it's not about competing with him... more about just proving to myself that if he can do it so can I.  Trust me... the last year has been a HUGE journey to "my own path"... I should be more clear when I share... :-)  Thanks for all your encouraging words.

Aww... Thanks... we're excited!!  We'll definitely have to share our kid's journey into Parkour with you guys too!!
There you go! Thats what I like to hear. Have fun!  :D
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Jennfluff

« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2011, 12:16:45 AM »
I found out about freerunning from a friend of my brother, he told me a bit. But I also love the idea of it, so I am constantly scanning Youtube for any videos on how I can learn. I've seen the tutorials, and after this snow clears I'm going to go try some stuff.  :D Besides, what could be better than climbing around on buildings and vaulting over random things? That's my kind of fun!

Offline DANski

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • You ready?
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/bboydanski
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2011, 07:06:28 AM »
I started this whole thing called "Parkour" at a very young age maybe like 5?...I'm almost 36 now and I never thought it would have evolved into what it is today...Many people on this website have either accepted or are against my involvement with this culture...It is ok  for others to not agree with my early years of contribution...It was in a small apartment complex "project" probably no one on here knows about in Springfield,MA...If you talk to any of my friends who grew up with me, they will surely tell you that I was pioneering something very similar to what is considered "Parkour"...Not everything that has a label on it and a theory behind it is thought by "ONE" individual or has any substantial proof that it is solely prized by that one person...Get it?...Got it?...Good!...Anyway, I started this type of training by watching Kung Fu movies with Jackie Chan, wrestling, and watching a series called the "Fall Guy" starring Lee Majors who was the original "6 million dollar man" for those of you young bloods out there, which included stunts with a cheesy dialogue...At the time there was also an emergence ninja movies that helped inspired some of us "old schoolers" I'm sure...I then started to study and duplicate the stunts and moves the so called "ninjas" were doing. I was already a gymnast at a very young age so I began incorporating these moves/stunts within my daily life no matter where I was. I was fortunate enough to exhale the negative environment I was living in, and in return helped me utilize my creativity in other forms of art like bboying(break dancing) bmx freestyling, skateboarding, and other activities(train hopping)...The beach, neighborhoods, mall, and especially the local playgrounds where hot spots for training...I then wrote up a training guide when I was like 11 yrs old or so and actually recruited some of the neighborhood friends to join my Ninja/Stunt/"Parkour" club...It was sort of a boot camp style of training in the woods with old tires we collected from the woods near the train tracks and old mattresses we found in dumpsters to flip on, swings tied to tree limbs, and make shift obstacles we built from the junk yard down the street.(I still have the original paper with the whole concept/diagram to this day)...I started taking this training from the woods to the urban environment where I lived and jumped from rooftop to rooftop, tree to tree, building to building, flipping off cars, and many other obstacles that were around me as I was running around the apartment complex...NOTHING stopped my path...I WAS utilizing my environment and flowing without any stops continuously...Again, this was not considered "Parkour" at the time...But what I was doing, is considered "Parkour"...Just did not have a name for it...I said that I helped pioneer this culture...Not invented it!...No one invented it!...There is NO name for this...This just IS...DO NOT let the machine rape this culture like it did for "break dancing"...Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect, DAN-ski
If you are reading this...You have just entered my world...My world consists of the ability to adapt to any situation without any concern,hesitation,or preconceived notion to what I myself or anyone else around me may encounter...Be ready for what you may see as I come in all shapes and sizes...

Offline whiteybeans

• Guenons
  • The cure for fear is to take action upon it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »
I think that if we perfect this sport now we can teach it to the kids and enjoy it as a family... we'll start our own little tribe :-)

<3
The cure for fear is to take action upon it.

Fortune favors the bold.

Time takes us all.

Offline Loverboipk28

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
So i was up at this concert place down the street called the Fraze. Big. With a concert area, fountains...  You just have to see it to understand. But anyway, I climbed the Entrence area, about 15 ft., and just droped and landed in a roll. So this kid was there, a grade higher than me, and he asks me to look up parkour. When i do im instantly intruiged but dont know where to start. I cant find the kid anymore, and even tho i know the basics, i cant find anybody to help me advance. So now im starting it to ge my mind of a my ex, which is really never going to happen because i love her more than the world. I also have a lot of stress in my family as well... So here i am. Trying to become the next parkour legend

Offline Nodalor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »
Watching Mission Impossible 2 when I was younger. I got really interested in movement, flips, climbing etc so my mom put me in gymnastics. It was never really what I wanted to be doing, but I did it for a while anyway. I really wanted to be learning practical things and running around outside. Then a number of years later enters parkour! And I'm starting taking it up and quite enjoying it :)
Cheers mates! Don't sweat the small stuff :)

Offline parkourman1234

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
i learned about it some from friends but didn't get real interested in it until i started playing mirrors edge and i instantly loved it and wanted to start training for parkour ;D
Dedication is what motivates people to do what we love. without it we will never succeed in doing what we love.

Offline Montrease

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »
i was watching some wolves  on the discovery channel of how they ran freely in a pack  something in my heart clicked  that i need something to give me that feeling and when i watched the "hulk" when he jumped in the air and closed his eyes to feel the feel on his face i wanted that feeling when spiderman first got his powers and jumped off that roof  and felt free i wanted that feeling SO WAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS I WANTED TO FEEL FREE I GOT TIRED OF BEING COOPED UP LIKE A CAGED BIRD OR A HOUSE CAT AND THIS MAKES  ME FEEL FREE!!!

Offline Jacob Werner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
Imbraressed to say it... but, I was watching a video where this guy dressed up like Altair (from Assassin's Creed) and did some Parkour stuff. On of the comments talked about it so I Googled it and found this site!

The World. My Playground. 
The Streets. My Home. 
The Architecture. My Inspiration. 
The Fear. My Motivation. 
The Sweat, the Scars, the Pain. My Proof.
My Name. Traceur.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
Imbraressed to say it... but, I was watching a video where this guy dressed up like Altair (from Assassin's Creed) and did some Parkour stuff. On of the comments talked about it so I Googled it and found this site!
Embarrassed? Bah! We don't even know the meaning of that word here. Or at least half of us don't. I don't for sure. Srsly. I could say or do just about anything. And it shall not be awkward. 0_o