Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 142636 times)

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
What got me running was pretty much just being fed up with sitting on my ass for days at a time where I didn't have work or school to worry about. Before I moved to Kentucky I lived in VA and was totally fit, Tae Kwon Do, sports, the whole nine yards. I had always liked Parkour, and with a lack of friends and martial art schools I found worthy, I got my ass up and was just like "I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna be awesome at it." I know that doesen't seem like much, but that's what got me goin'.
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline S Leger

• Mangabey
  • I move for him because he died for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
I started parkour after seeing some video on stupid videos called like "urban spiderman" or something.  It turned out to be the david belle video with "lose yourself" in the background.  I started searching for what it was and came across parkour.  I found this site and started my parkour journey.  Good times :)
I'm a treysaur for God!

Looking for new music?  Check out my music blog!  http://www.gnewmusic.blogspot.com

Offline righthandbrutality

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
Ever since I was a kid something has been in me- I didn't know it was parkour until years ago. I always loved the movies with on-foot chase scenes, always wanted to watch the movies with people running up and off walls, crouching tiger, the matrix. Always loved it.

As parkour in the past 5-7 years has exploded, I can't help but to allow myself to be completely sucked in with wonder and a love for what I'm seeing. The amount of tutorials and amazing videos on youtube pushed me to get serious. I saw people... are out there doing this. Somewhere. Some hundreds of thousands of them are doing this. It didn't feel silly anymore. At this point in my life I CAN'T STOP MYSELF going out and doing it-and when I'm not, thinking about it.

I wish I would've got serious about PK when I was 16 and I learned a couple vaults... but I got locked up for a year, when I got out, life was different. Had to move in with a relative, work all day, couple years went by, and life took over the desire to see if I could make it to the top of that building.

But the things I created in my own mind to convince myself not to try I have destroyed. I look at my scarred, calloused, bleeding hands with a dozen fresh wounds and I smile.

Offline D.B.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
a friend of mine showed me that old video back in '06.  you know the one. dvinsk clan i think?  ever since then i've been fascinated with the practice.  now that i'm no longer a fatass and i have a bit of endurance on my side, it's beginning to take over my life.  i can't get enough.  i have to stop myself from overtraining.  and every day, the soreness i feel in my legs and abs puts an ear to ear grin on my face 
relax, i do this all the time
[

Offline HGRRYU

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
Ive known about Parkour/free running for a while now always wanted to learn just never had time or knew how or where to start untill i stumbled upon this site :) so thats my story

Offline EpicRunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
This is one of the things that inspired me  http://c49f6a40.linkbucks.com    please see

Offline fallofshadows

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
I found some videos of the 3run team on youtube back in 2007 or so. I had been doing flips on a trampoline for quite some time, so I decided I wanted to try to frontflip off the top of the sliding board in my backyard. I jumped, flipped, landed on my feet, and fell over in pain and I felt and heard my ankle pop. I spent a month doing nothing but sitting around due to the horrible sprain, telling myself that I would never try flips again.

So, a few years later, at the pushing of my friend, him and I learned to frontflip. I landed it on the second try, and I've been hooked since. I went back and forth between free running and skateboarding, but now that I've hit college I've found less time to skate (skaters aren't my kind of people anyways) and more time to work on free running, plus I've met other people who do it. So yep, that's where I'm at and why it happened : D
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!"

www.youtube.com/fallofshadows

Offline dotCA

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2010, 06:35:35 AM »
Me and an old friend before I moved a long time back were at school, and we jumped onto this vent thing during lunch our for fun. Got int trouble with teachers, ended up in detention. We wern't friends at the time but he started talking about parkour and I was like "Oh sth I was watching that hst awhile ago" and we both ended up taking the discipline seriously. Was an awkard yet kind of "Destiny" feeling situation.

Meh

Offline tylerawesomeparkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
haha i totally just got inspired from assassins creed.

Offline Montag

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
I used to play sports in High school and when I got to college I decided I didn't want to play a sport I wanted to be a part of something more meaningful and something that would last me a lifetime.

I started reading some books (which have NOTHING to do with parkour) and for whatever reason I always saw the anti-heros as knowing Parkour. I decided that this was something I wanted to do! :]

That and the L4D2's Hunter which kinda made me decided for sure.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »

That and the L4D2's Hunter which kinda made me decided for sure.
That's the best thing I heard all day! ^_^

Offline sienk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
i started betting people that i could do stunts and things like that. After making some cash, someone told me to google apk.

Offline John "Cras" Morrow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I have yet to get any pics of my Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
I used to do cross country but my coach... well we dont need to get into that... xD i ended up quitting. After all those shenanigans i just wanted to do something different but not a school sport or anything. Then i saw just various youtube videos of Parkour, looked it up, got inspired, and here i am.  :D
Do something. If it doesn't work, do something else. No idea is too crazy.
-Jim Hightower

Offline Chris Cartee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »
I used to climb on things even into my near and early 20's but I never had the grace nor spent the time practicing it like people I've seen.

What ultimately got me into Parkour was something I read on line

"Parkour  is moving from one place to another overcoming any obstacle in your way with efficiency"

I'm not certain where I read it or even if I'm quoting it exactly but I like that mentality.

Offline Rhodium_Snowflake

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »
Umm, I don't know if this sounds foolish but; I wanted to fly :)

I'd always run around and climbed on things when I was little so, it was just kind of natural :)

Offline whiteybeans

• Guenons
  • The cure for fear is to take action upon it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2010, 06:01:41 PM »
I wanted to fly 

set that as my fb status lol, dream of flying
The cure for fear is to take action upon it.

Fortune favors the bold.

Time takes us all.

Offline LokiRagnorak

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2010, 06:43:35 AM »
For me, I pretty much was getting bored with learning Tae Kwon Do and just pointlessly climbing places, and I also was getting lazy and wanted to find something that I would like to do but also something that could keep me in shape. So I looked up acrobatics and came accross Team Ryouko- and in someone's post they said something about Parkour or FreeRunning. So I looked that up on youtube and got hooked on it almost instantly, learned the history and "definition", or reason, of Parkour then decided to learn it.
So far though, I'm the only dedicated one I know of in my hometown :(

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2010, 08:51:50 AM »

So far though, I'm the only dedicated one I know of in my hometown :(
Ditto.

Offline John "Cras" Morrow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I have yet to get any pics of my Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »
Quote from: LokiRagnorak on December 06, 2010, 09:43:35 AM

So far though, I'm the only dedicated one I know of in my hometown
Ditto.

Whenever i tell people of my Parkour endeavors (when they see me in the park) they just laugh. xD i think im the only one in my school at least that knows about this!
Do something. If it doesn't work, do something else. No idea is too crazy.
-Jim Hightower

Offline North

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »
Back in 2005 I saw a video of guys doing some tumbling on the grass and I told myself I wanted to do that. But I scared myself away because I felt it was only for gymnasts. Then as the years past I started to see more and more videos of people using those tumbling skills to the street and added dash vaults and I was hooked. But still I was afraid to do it and I had no safe haven to practice without being judged by. Well recently I was told my buddy had found a gym that he does tumbling and I was like oh cool but it didn't give it much thought. Then I ease dropped on a conversation about tumbling and then Parkour and Free Running was talked about I almost choked on my chicken wing and ask who does this? My BFF told me that is what he has been doing and wondered if I was interested in coming. I didn't hesitate. I am so happy in my heart and spirit to do this. I really do thank god and my savior Jesus Christ for bringing me to this lifestyle. For years I have been looking for a sport that involved extreme amount of physical fitness and daring. Snowboarding had daring but lacked the fitness, Crossfit and Weights had the fitness but lacked the daring and creativity. It has affected me so much that I don't think I can date another girl who can't do parkour or something of that nature. I haven't found her yet but I'm hoping sometime in my life I will and we will have something magical together. Being lost for so long on what I feel is me I finally I find this place to be my home finally. I'm still new with this board and trying to understand the rules but I feel for once that I can related to a lot of you even though I have never met any of you (soon to change).
Yes this is coming from my heart so it is really hard to put this out but I feel I will be treated right for once.