Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 131531 times)

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
I recently told this on a different post, but I wanna know what inspired others to participate in such an activity. Here is mine:

I recently started it (a little less than 1 year ago), and trained day by day, with nobody to hang out with (I grew up where nobody really ever liked me...let's pick on the skinny kid because he's the weakest, make fun of him for no reason, etc.), I had 1 or 2 friends, one stopped hanging out with me though. The other one trains with me sometimes now. But even before I started, I met my best friend in the entire world, never said anything bad about me, knew everything about me and still has the heart to be my best friend. It inspired me to do something great with my life. So that's what I did. I started training for parkour and freerunning. Constant conditioning, etc. Now everybody is like "hey it's that parkour guy!" and then I just smile, unsure of what to say and keep walking.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:07:28 PM by FreeStyleFox »

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: So I Wanna Know...What Made You Start Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
I am pretty sure there has been more then one of these I guess its about time for a new one... if I can get 20 stories on this one I will Sticky this.

I watched a video of David Belle one day wile looking for funny/interesting/sexy videos wile i was still in collage.  Two days later and lots of looking I found the video again.  Two days after that knowing his name I did a search and found a video of a jam in SoCal of a group of people just starting there.  I told my self I can do this.  I learned the name and then went to UFF and other sites finding tutorials and inspiration.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Josh S

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »
To be honest, I was learning more about Mirror's edge on the internet. It said something about her "parkour-like-skills." I looked up what parkour was and was instantly interested in it. I learned about its history and its purpose, started training, and got to where I am now :)

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
Three years ago, a documentary was shown to me by my father. This documentary was Jump Britain. After being inspired by Sebastien and Urban Freeflow, I went outside in the snow and tried it. I found a friend at school and now I'm teaching and training with close to ten people.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Andrea.

• Patas
  • I look squished. >_<
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
I was reading an article about how to survive large drops, somewhere in there they put some links to some different rolls. Seen the word parkour, searched around a bit, found out about it, decided I wanted to try it, started training. :P
Yeah, boring, I know. :P
Hug the awkward.
I lurk the forums.
Free spirited writer and traceuse.~

Offline Joshua Sikes

• Guenons
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
Oddly enough I just answered this question in the "Why are you doing this" thread.  Maybe it should get moved here... lol. ;D
All the days I fight the urge to eat bad, fattening food will be for nothing, a sacrifice in vain, if I give in the urge today.  Fight the urge, be free.

Offline Gavin Barnes

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
My friend Ryan told me about it shortly after he learned about it. He showed me some videos then I was hooked. I started looking at tutorials and practicing. It felt great.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”-Bruce Lee

Offline Joshua Sikes

• Guenons
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »
I know but I was responding to other posts in the thread... it made sense at the time... lol.
All the days I fight the urge to eat bad, fattening food will be for nothing, a sacrifice in vain, if I give in the urge today.  Fight the urge, be free.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
Oddly enough I just answered this question in the "Why are you doing this" thread.  Maybe it should get moved here... lol. ;D
  Lol I got ride of my last post sorry I miss read yours because I had not got to your reply in the other thread first... I say do it add it to this thread too!!

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

new2pk

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
Okay pretty much I have no friends  :'( and I get very bored so I was looking up wall runs and in the comment box people where talking about PK so I started browseing the web.

Gorramshiny

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
I decided to take the most efficient path through a market street and when asked why, I said "'cause I wanted to". The person I was with told me to check out PK and things just snowballed from there.

Offline tibo

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »
i always loved running around and sprinting through streets dodging and weaving things/people  :P
i was surfing youtube and i saw PK and i was like  :D :o awesome!!!
It's only impossible if you think it is
No one was gifted anything, they fought for it...
if you think you have a problem then you do[

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
I always enjoyed monkeying around public places, and pushing my body to the limits. Then I found about Parkour / Free Running sometime last year, but was too preoccupied with my self-esteem / body issues to actually pursue it. Then around 4 months ago, I couldn't handle just staying inside lifting weights, then doing nothing on the ' rest days. ' Got a strength routine, and weekly schedule. Since then, I haven't looked back.

<3 PK

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
i seen this show called "Cha$e" its a sci fi show about a real life boardgame. and people are hunting you...they're called "Hunters" one of the Hunters skills was "Parkour"...
i seen this and i'm sitting here thinking..wtf is parkour? so i got my laptop out and searched around a bit...stumbled upon the "Parkour and FreeRunning" vid by Sauloco....and then stumbled upon urban freeflows website...

it intrigued me, but for months i never got up and done it. so one day me and my friends tried it..i'm the only one committed to it now..
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline scott

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
a kid who moved to my school made me interested in it because he saw that i could keep up with him when i didn't even know what parkour was, i was just running around for the fun of it basically
Any sound can shake the air, my voice shakes the heart. Any tree can drop an apple, but I'll drop the freakin moon.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »
i saw it on the internet and thought it looked cool, did research and found the philosophy and found it inspiring
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline shadowofnight

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »
i saw cool videos on the internet and some friends were doing it so i started to try it and i got into the philosophy later on...

Offline Nick Briseno

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
xbox got boring...
Do or Do not. There is no try.

Offline Tom Shaw

• Guenons
  • Proud Member of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
My friend chose parkour as the subject for a presentation we both had to do together. I just went with it, and afterwards he taught me some moves, and I found out more about it on the internet. Now we're both training daily :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:53:33 AM by Tom Shaw »
"With enough concentration, enough focus, due care and attention,
we can repeat a simple technique hundreds of times, for hours and not make a mistake."
-Christ 'Blane' Rowat

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
xbox got boring...
  So how did you find out about it?  What inspired you that this is what to do after xbox?