Author Topic: Learn the Goddamn Roll - The Scariest Experience of my Trainings so far  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Shit...I'm still kind of shaky...

I was going for a kong to precision and the rail was a tiny bit slippery (not wet, just bare metal). So in the kong my hand slipped forward, and so did my body, which meant I was hurtling head first into the floor and also towards the side of a wall.

The only reason I didn't crack my head open was because I rolled. I don't know how, I must've practiced it long enough that it became instinct.  All I remember is seeming to fly in the air for what could've been 1 second, 1 hour, 1 day...and then lying on the floor.  I slammed into the concrete, going into a sloppy dive rall and hit my back against the wall.

It was incredibly scary because I think I might've hit a lung or something, for a minute after the fall I couldn't breathe, talk, or do anything but crawl towards my water bottle 20 feet away. Holy shit. You don't know how scary it is not to be able to breathe until you have an experience where you think you're going to die of suffocation.

A couple friends nearby thought something serious was really going to happen, they were almost calling 911 because it looked like I slammed my head against the wall and I couldn't say anything or talk after.

Shit this just makes me stress the roll even more. LEARN THE GODDAMN ROLL. If I didn't roll I might be in the hospital right now with my head cracked. I was lucky to escape with a few scratches on my forearm, shoulder, and back (the locations you touch in a good pk roll, which was how I know I made it).  I literally thought, when I was falling, that I would walk up in the hospital, or not at all.  This was a gravel floor.  Every chance you get, roll.  When you have nothing to do, roll.  Roll, roll and roll.  Over and over again.  Because I am living proof that it will save your life.

Oh, and guess what I did after five minutes. KONGED TO PRECISIONED THE GODDAMN RAIL. Suck on that one, asshole! One near death experience isn't gonna stop me! All this experience made me do was want to train harder. Parkour is funny that way :)
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Learn the Goddamn Roll - The Scariest Experience of my Trainings so far
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Well, that's interesting... Glad you're okay.  :o

Confidence is something I need to work on. And I will continue to drill my roll!
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:54:29 PM »
Glad your ok!! Thanks for sharing and keep us updated.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »
Good to know you're okay Shay!

This reminds me when I got a concussion from an unknown source... (I'm almost SURE I wasn't out training.)

When I woke up the next day, I checked in the mirror. On my back were bruises indicating a messy roll. I was pretty happy with myself. :D

Offline leftyPK

• Guenons
  • [LIИKIИ PARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
Holy shit. You don't know how scary it is not to be able to breathe until you have an experience where you think you're going to die of suffocation.

ive had something similar happen to me before.

it wasn't fun.

Offline Sai Chikine

• Patas
  • Traceur for himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
Haha shay! Nice one! Similar thing happened to me, went for a kong on wet table, slipped and almost faceplanted but rolled
Shirt was wet but I still have my face intact!
MYCARMY 2011 - OVERLORD OF CALAMITY

"I'm about to give you some f#cking shit ass shit shit, so shit and listen, shit." - Kyle

'What if children in the future were encouraged to keep on playing in playgrounds as they got older, instead of having to learn to "grow up?"' - .Nico

Offline JoeSkull

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »
Last week I was learning to kong a picnic table and as I was doing so I think I clipped my foot on the edge as i took off and it screwed up my kong. I dont remember much other than that due to the adrenaline but one thought went through my head, "roll". I hit the ground and rolled out of it and collapsed on the other side, saved myself from all injuries. Not sure if I even would had been injured but I was proud of it. :)
If I thought about everything I did, then I would never do anything at all.

Be water my friend.~Bruce Lee

Always Check Your Surfaces- Always. Unless you're being chased by a large angry German shepherd, then just f#cking run.~M2

Offline Josh S

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
That's impressive! And I'm glad you're ok. I haven't had to roll to save my life yet, but I did instinctively roll on a sidewalk when I tripped once. I felt awesome after doing it :)

Offline James Jallen Allen

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:49:23 AM »
Reminds me of David Belles kong slip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kh8NeG9wf8

Good job on saving your head!

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »
Wow, good job dude. Sounds like you had the wind knocked out of you for a bit. I f#cking hate that feeling so much because no matter how many times it happens, it always becomes a near-religious experience as your brain starts shouting at you to breathe. No fun.

On a similar note, I had a VERY similar thing happen to me a couple days ago.

I was out running at the local university when it started raining like crazy. I was attempting to practice my vaults over things that I knew would be okay, even when wet.

So, I did a perfect monkey vault over this concrete wall, knowing there was a large patch of grass on the other side. The thing was, I was already running downhill and the grass sloped down as well.

As soon as I got a good look from above the wall, I noticed it was a few feet farther down that I had suspected. No biggie, I just changed my positioning a little and landed no problem. However, due to the height adjustment, I decided to roll out of it just to be safe.

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but wet grass sometimes gets a smidge slippery.

As I landed for my roll, I felt my feet immediately slip and try to shoot out from underneath me. I was going into the head tuck at this point and still managed to do an ugly, ugly roll. I'm just glad that I had my neck to break my fall, lol. I saw stars and was very close to knocking myself out(having been in that situation numerous times before in muay thai). I walked it off, though.

I ended up rolling on the side of my head and neck, closer to the back side. If I had been just a fraction of a second slower in tucking my head it could have gone a LOT worse. Face plant, neck break, etc.

MilitantRevolutionist

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
I cringed when I read that. I've had my experiences with precisioning wet rails, but not quite like that. I'm glad to hear that the roll has saved another person.

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
Shit Shyam, I read your facebook thing on this but this has more detail, thank God you got out fine. =3
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Collin Runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Running to express, not to impress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »
I had something similar happen yesterday.

I went to kong a picnic table, and got WAY to much jump and air. I had a ton of forward momentum and I knew I was going to face plant, and without even thinking, my body naturally just went into a roll right as I touched the ground. Was not my best roll, but it saved me from face planting/breaking my neck. Got up and walked it off. That was the very first thing I learned, and I drilled it for a solid week or so before working on anything else. It has saved me numerous times over my 7ish months of Parkour.
"We run to express, Not to impress" -Olathe Parkour

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 10:47:28 AM »
I need to practice rolls more   :3

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:57:38 AM »
I was also doing a kong-to-cat today in the gym, and the guys training with me set the vault box onto which we were cat-leaping onto a tad too far. I grabbed the top of it, but the forward momentum wasn't enough and it tipped me backward. Fell back on my ass (there wasn't any danger here since we were in the gym on a padded surface, and the kong and cat obstacles weren't more than 4 feet high). I haven't even practiced back rolls before, but maybe because I've drilled front roll so many times, even falling backwards on my ass instinctively rolled my body into a back roll to avoid impact of that landing. (Besides, I've broken my tailbone falling on my ass once before, so wouldn't want to replicate that.)