Author Topic: A Call for Help on Short Notice  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
A Call for Help on Short Notice
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
Hey all,
My name is Joseph Torchia and I am a member of APK, a traceur out of Columbus Ohio and a student of the Ohio State University and it my hope to create a Parkour club at OSU.
It is my belief that having a parkour club at OSU would be a positive step for the American Parkour community and future university parkour clubs.  As the nations largest undergraduate university OSU could act as a benchmark for schools around the nation to recognize parkour as a sport and physical discipline and by extension parkour clubs.  It is my hope with this club to help foster and encourage the development of the parkour community within Columbus in a safe, productive, and responsible manner.  Allowing aspiring traceurs to learn the art of parkour in a safe manner and educating the general public about parkour to help cultivate positive opinions about our budding sport.  Also being an official club would give us a platform upon with to reach out and help the Columbus community with charity work (such as the distance crawls for causes that have been done by others) and various volunteering opportunities.  Also becoming an official school club we provide us with funding for events and indoor space and equipment for training.  It is my hope that within a year or two's time to have a very active club membership and to have OSU sponsored jams. (Perhaps at a national level :-D )
With these goals in mind I have recently approached the Ohio State University Department of Recreational Sports in the hopes of creating a Parkour club at OSU.  Thursday of this week I met with several staff members of the department and have arranged to make a formal presentation for review and proposal this upcoming Tuesday (June 26).  Before my presentation the OSU Sport Club Director Bryon Harris would like to see some sample liability forms that other Parkour Clubs have created.  Though he did not ask for them I am sure that the liability forms from classes and large jams would also work well.  What he is looking for, I believe, is mainly a precedent.  It would be a huge help if anyone could send me copies of forms that they have used.  Lastly I would be highly appreciative of any other help that the parkour community could provide for me in this endeavor - advice, support, letters to the director, etc
I am sorry for the short notice, I was not expecting the reaction of the department to be so swift (I have already had an hours long meeting with them) – though perhaps I can cautiously take their excitement as a good omen, needless to say I understand if the timescale is too short for any help.

Thank you all.

My email address is torchia.6@osu.edu

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: A Call for Help on Short Notice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
Joseph, maybe we could contact some of the folks in the UK, as they seem to have it put together very well over there. I keep thinking of what I saw in the Jump Westminster video.. Have you considered showing that video to OSU? That might be good for your presentation. Maybe we could get into contact with some of the people in the video for advice based on their experience of entering parkour into such an entity, the likes of a public school physical education program.

At any rate, let me know when you need my help. I can volunteer time for this project on the weekends to help get it rolling, and I would be happy to lend my technical expertise as well if needed. I also have a whole crew of interested individuals who are ready to start training. I wanted to do some training this weekend myself, but I am nursing a twisted ankle (not parkour related!), so instead I have been busy recruiting people who have showed interest in learning parkour.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »
Hey! Mark forwarded me your e-mail but we might as well keep any discussion on the forums so others can benefit. I pretty much put down my whole experience in this thread [ http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=2948.0 ], in case you havn't looked at it yet. Give it a once over, and feel free to ask any specific questions.

Unfortunately we didn't have any forms. As I said in the thread I linked, we offered to sign waiver forms if that was an issue, but the CS Director simply waved his hand and told us "if you get hurt, we'll whisk you away to the hospital, I don't think you guys are going to take any legal action from what you've told me about what you're doing."

Again, any specific questions, ask away!

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
The forms were my biggest concern.  I read over your other post and it helped give me some direction, thank you.  I've e-mailed the director and given him and his staff some links to articles and documentary videos about parkour. Also I mentioned that I have not had any luck with the forms yet. So, for at least for tonight right the ball is in their court and I'm just work on making a presentation.  Again thanks for what help you could offer and the support. I'll be sure to keep posting here if anything comes up or any new questions arise.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »
In one of the videos, and I'm almost sure it was Jump Westminster, they were sitting around talking about how to put together an official parkour training organization, and they mentioned coming up with some kind of release forms.. if we could just contact those folks (in the UK) and ask them for a copy of their release form, that would help. They probably have it in pdf format on their website or something. If not, they could email it to us maybe.. If we can find the contact info, I have free long distance to Western Europe. We can make the phone calls from here if we need to talk to someone directly. Most likely however you could probably do it through email. I'm gonna do some research and see what I can come up with. Maybe we can find a release form from a gymnastics club, or even some other kind of sport and just modify it. I can re-create just about any type of official looking document on the computer..

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 08:55:24 PM »
Ok Joseph, I have contacted the folks at Parkour Coaching in the UK, which consists of Stephane Vigroux, Forest, Dan Edwardes, Tracy Tiltman, The Yamakasi, Julie Angel and Andy Day, Kazuma, and Johann Vigroux. I have asked them for copies of the release of liability forms they use for their students, as requested from you by the OSU athletic department. I will keep on top of it until I can get those forms insha-Allah.

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:48:27 AM »
I replied to your email but I just can't express enough gratitude - thanks man!

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
I have some good news!
The presentation was a very long one, almost two and a half hours, but everything came to fruition and the members of the board were very impressed by parkour and its potential and granted approval of the application for the club.
So I am pleased to announce the official formation of . . .
Ohio State University Parkour (OSUPK) the official parkour club of The Ohio State University!

Today was a very special day for me and all the other OSU traceurs and I don’t think I am alone when I extend my own gratitude for the help, support, and guidance offered by the APK community.  Thanks guys!

We look forward to working with you all in the future!

Offline Donotfeedthemax

• Patas
  • It's Max.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »
Swweet, man. That's awesome that there's an official club now. Hope I get to go to OSU.

So hey, now that you've got a club, it that just for people who go to OSU, or could other people (like me :P) come hang out with you when you train? An official club, that's awesome. Great job, man.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »
Non OSU students will be able to obtain entry into the club. We will come with the details on that later.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »
Thanks goes out to Dan Edwardes of Parkour Generations, who was instrumental in getting those release of liability forms to us on short order, and for all of the positive feedback and encouragement as well. The OSU Parkour Club is now a reality, and no longer just a plan.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »
Could you post some of the forms you ended up with? I'm thinking about starting a club at my school, and having those handy would be great.

Thanks!

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
Email me and I will forward them to you. muhammad@swaca.org

Also, it might be helpful if I send you the actual proposal that Joseph and I worked on to submit to the athletic department. We put a good number of hours into it, so there is alot of useful information there. Let me check with Joeseph and clear it with him, and if he gives me to go-ahead, I will send you the whole packet. That should give you a base to work from and save you alot of time.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 07:24:32 AM »
I would also like that, if you don't mind.  I will send you an email.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »
Ok, I will try to remember to talk to Joseph (Sentius1) today about it. We have a gym session scheduled this evening, so I can tell him about it then.