Author Topic: Misinformation or truth?  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
Misinformation or truth?
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f48/how-safe-dangerous-parkour-1130662/

This topic has a discussion about the safety in parkour. Take a minute to read the comments on the thread and say what you think.
Includes dangers (of course there can be) and wearing down on tendons/ligaments in the long run.

One thing I saw was the Washington parkour instructor mentioned said it was stupid and that people had to sign many waivers or something. Of course, a waiver so the gym isn't held liable.
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
Re: Misinformation or truth?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:16:41 AM »
Yay.  Sherdog.net. 

A site full of misinformed trolls who run around posting nearly anything they want on any subject they want with hardly any moderation. 

Y'know what?  There's no point in discussing what's being said there, as the majority of those guys are obese losers in Affliction T-Shirts who can't barely move from their mothers' basement. That's why they hate on PK. 

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:28:22 AM »
What a bunch of idiots. They comment on how all Traceurs are just adrenaline junkies with a deathwish, idiots, and stupid people, while citing as their most credible source an episode of the office. Pretty epic showcase of intelligence, there.

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
I don't see why/how when someone mentions Parkour on other websites, or sometimes in general. They automatically assume we're jumping from 20 story building roofs to other building, or just jumping from really high place to another high place with a large drop/gap between the two. :l

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
The OP on that site is retarded for not actually researching Parkour. The rest of the comments are retarded for taking the image of parkour from DB's gap jump.

Again, a bunch of ignorant idiots you shouldn't care about.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »
Yay.  Sherdog.net. 

A site full of misinformed trolls who run around posting nearly anything they want on any subject they want with hardly any moderation. 

Y'know what?  There's no point in discussing what's being said there, as the majority of those guys are obese losers in Affliction T-Shirts who can't barely move from their mothers' basement. That's why they hate on PK. 

and this is why we love Chris
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »
I <3 you all too. 

Seriously, though, this is a perfect example to teach a concept that I throw out to all my students.  It's the idea of asking yourself "Does getting worked up over this actually matter?" when dealing with a conflict.  When you get angry about something someone has said or done, ask if confronting them will make any difference or if you have a possibility of changing their attitude/opinion/etc. 

If the answer is no, just drop it.  It's not worth your time and attention. 

Sherdog.net is a mixed martial arts forum populated by guys who think that the now-defunct Japanese MMA promotion PRIDE was the greatest thing on the face of the planet.  They spend most of their days arguing over who are the best pound for pound fighters in obscure fight organizations like Shooto, DREAM, and DEEP.  Most of them have never been in a real fight, much less actually engaged in some form of physical exercise.

They have to waddle to move.  We fly on a regular basis.  As such, they're going to hate all over what we do, and they will continue to hate.  Just leave them alone to complain over BJ Penn's latest loss.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
they just dont understand, theres no reason to hate on them for not understanding.

yall are not so open as you want yourselves to believe. most people dont know shit about parkour, just like i doubt anyone knows what an inspin royale is either.

parkour is quite underground, what do you all expect?

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Will Ahlberg

• Mangabey
  • If you pursue, your body will deliver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »
wow. what a bunch of noobs. they dont know anything about the sport and they all think that we jump across buildings
[img width= height=]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3039/unigorillaface01copy1.jpg[/img]     6'5"  210 lbs

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »
they just dont understand, theres no reason to hate on them for not understanding.

yall are not so open as you want yourselves to believe. most people dont know shit about parkour, just like i doubt anyone knows what an inspin royale is either.

parkour is quite underground, what do you all expect?

First of all, I'll hate on Sherdog.net all I want because I've dealt with those jokers in the past.  They think they know everything when it comes to every subject on martial arts when most of their posters have little experience with anything remotely related to MA or the fight game as a whole. 

Second, there's a difference between the quality of poster here and at Sherdog.  We strive to maintain an open, peaceful, harmonious, respectful environment that's full of enlightened and intelligent discussion.  They do not.  We make efforts to research what we love, understand others' points of view, and still show some measure of deference when we disagree.  They do not. 

As far as your comment of the people who inhabit APK not being as open as we want to believe we are...I will freely admit that I have my own prejudices, biases, and personal points of view to nearly every topic.  That's what makes me human, Max.  You suffer from the same faults.  All humans do--it's not something we can help.  I hope when you made that statement you were simply trying to challenge people unfamiliar with the lunacy that is Sherdog.net to think about the issue themselves and not attacking people who have posted in this thread.  Since I like to stay positive, I'll just assume that was the case.

And while Parkour may be a touch underground, it's gaining more attention each day.  There will be some angry flareups because of the misinformation and continued oversimplifications that are perpetuated over the net because we are passionate about what we do.

Sherdog.com is actually a good news site for MMA.  Sherdog.net and its posters are garbage.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Sherdog is just a really low quality forum its not worth bothering with.

For the record, we calculated our injury rate recently in the parkour visions teaching program it came out to 2 injuries per thousand hours training time, this is probably lower then self directed training but it is not in my experience a huge difference.  Indoor rock climbing averages around 3, gymnastics(training) around 4, soccer(training) is 7.6 and american football(training) is 16, I could not find statistics for MMA training but concussion rate alone for MMA competition is 15 per thousand hours, thats not including any other types of injuries. So yeah its particularly ironic that a group of MMA fans would castigate parkour as stupidly dangerous.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »
Sherdog is just a really low quality forum its not worth bothering with.

For the record, we calculated our injury rate recently in the parkour visions teaching program it came out to 2 injuries per thousand hours training time, this is probably lower then self directed training but it is not in my experience a huge difference.  Indoor rock climbing averages around 3, gymnastics(training) around 4, soccer(training) is 7.6 and american football(training) is 16, I could not find statistics for MMA training but concussion rate alone for MMA competition is 15 per thousand hours, thats not including any other types of injuries. So yeah its particularly ironic that a group of MMA fans would castigate parkour as stupidly dangerous.

Seriously? Wow. How'd you guys calculate that, though? If you add freerunning/tricking, it would go up with flips and such too. How many paralysis/death incidents have we seen, including freerunning/tricking? I know Dogen tricked and had to stop, but he went about it the wrong way and trained while exhausted, for instance.

I guess my thing is that I'm a worrysome person sometimes in general... Sometimes.
And, I haven't played sports or any other activity that is remotely dangerous (such as gymnastics, etc. even though parkour isn't a sport, per say).

So I guess my lack of experience with activities that have a decent amount of risk to them (which can be lowered if you practice correctly but still exists) in addition to the way i SOMETIMES not all the time have a worrysome feeling, makes this.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:34:54 PM by Austin "iSHREDbanez" »
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »
Seriously? Wow. How'd you guys calculate that, though? If you add freerunning/tricking, it would go up with flips and such too. How many paralysis/death incidents have we seen, including freerunning/tricking? I know Dogen tricked and had to stop, but he went about it the wrong way and trained while exhausted, for instance.

I guess my thing is that I'm a worrysome person sometimes in general... Sometimes.
And, I haven't played sports or any other activity that is remotely dangerous (such as gymnastics, etc. even though parkour isn't a sport, per say).

So I guess my lack of experience with activities that have a decent amount of risk to them (which can be lowered if you practice correctly but still exists) in addition to the way i SOMETIMES not all the time have a worrysome feeling, makes this.
i doubt the amout of paralysis is higher than any other physical activity..... well maybe not golf....
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
My 2 cents...

A decade ago MMA was a little known and misunderstood off-shoot of traditional martial arts competitions. Only a few years before that in 1997, Senator John McCain called the sport "human cockfighting" and tried to get it banned. Many other people felt the same way and were disturbed by the perceived level of violence and lax rule structure.

Sounds awfully familiar, huh?

Today MMA is exploding in popularity, challenging boxing as the most watched combat sport in the world. It has become a multi-million dollar industry with companies, professional fighters, and gyms/classes are popping up all over the country. Major events are broadcast unedited on cable and network television.

As the ancient saying goes, "This too shall pass." After all, Karate was once banned in its own country of Japan and Okinawa and was forced to go underground: now look where it is. Stay dedicated to your training, enlighten others whenever possible, remain calm.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »
I LOL'd at
"I hope you weigh 140 lbs and don't mine losing all the cartialage in your knees"
They are simply uniformed, one of them I think was smart and said it's only dangerous when new traceurs try to show off, but after much training and being "a pro" it's safe
so... uninformed and ignorant
"I owe what I don't know to my ignorance"
(someones sig on here :P ^)
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 06:51:49 AM »
First of all, I'll hate on Sherdog.net all I want because I've dealt with those jokers in the past.  They think they know everything when it comes to every subject on martial arts when most of their posters have little experience with anything remotely related to MA or the fight game as a whole. 

Second, there's a difference between the quality of poster here and at Sherdog.  We strive to maintain an open, peaceful, harmonious, respectful environment that's full of enlightened and intelligent discussion.  They do not.  We make efforts to research what we love, understand others' points of view, and still show some measure of deference when we disagree.  They do not. 

As far as your comment of the people who inhabit APK not being as open as we want to believe we are...I will freely admit that I have my own prejudices, biases, and personal points of view to nearly every topic.  That's what makes me human, Max.  You suffer from the same faults.  All humans do--it's not something we can help.  I hope when you made that statement you were simply trying to challenge people unfamiliar with the lunacy that is Sherdog.net to think about the issue themselves and not attacking people who have posted in this thread.  Since I like to stay positive, I'll just assume that was the case.

And while Parkour may be a touch underground, it's gaining more attention each day.  There will be some angry flareups because of the misinformation and continued oversimplifications that are perpetuated over the net because we are passionate about what we do.

Sherdog.com is actually a good news site for MMA.  Sherdog.net and its posters are garbage.

this post screams of self entitlement. im really not trying to stir the waters or attack you, the core of our art is to be free from our constraints.

take a lesson from ghandi, go read some quotes and some of his speeches to understand freedom. having bias, or hating on things doesnt make you human.

being human makes you human. you will never be your true self unless you learn about your ego and learn to control it, otherwise you are doomed to be like the rest of the sheeple that make up most of this world.

just a thought.

if you want to get angry, get angry at me with a PM. im not trying to derail this thread, just spread some ideas to get you all to think. 

i wasnt going to post this but, i decided everyone should hear this (regardless of how paraphrased it is)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3tjIiWIkAQ

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:55:00 AM by max eisenberg »

Offline AdamE

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:50 AM »
First off the disclaimer: I do not frequent this website and am only adding my response in regards to the OP's topic based on the information given in said forum thread.

The information in said thread is rife with misinformation, lack of knowledge about Parkour in general, and containes little useful information aside from a few minor tidbits scattered throughout. I would use the term "discussion" very lightly when referencing this thread, as there is very little of it. A majority of the post are responses from people who's only point of reference are YouTube train wreck videos, and movies. While movies are fun to watch, they're not accurate representations of real life, otherwise we'd probably wouldn't watch them due to lack of "over the top" action. I'll hit on a few points that were discussed:

Parkour vs Freerunning vs Tricking: While the differences of these three are another debate entirely, I felt that the posters in that thread overly focused on the "tricking" aspect. Grandeous flips and maneuvers that are estetically pleasing to the eye, but can be dangerous is done improperly. Practitioners of Parkour may utilize some of these aspects, but only when it lends to the efficiency of the moment.

Short/Long term bodily damage: Any physical discipline (including sports) that exerts physical stress on the body has the chance to cause damage, both minor and major. Any practitioner of said discipline(s) knows this and takes measures to lessen that chance ie. training safely, proper form usage, knowing their limits. Again the posted forum topic only focused on extremely bad injuries from some YouTube videos, and used that as a baseline.

Is Parkour Safe: Much like anything else you'll do in life, safety is a personal responsibility. You're the one who makes Parkour safe, by taking the necessary precautions, knowing your limits, and knowing when you can push those limits.

End Wall of Text

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
this post screams of self entitlement. im really not trying to stir the waters or attack you, the core of our art is to be free from our constraints.

take a lesson from ghandi, go read some quotes and some of his speeches to understand freedom. having bias, or hating on things doesnt make you human.

being human makes you human. you will never be your true self unless you learn about your ego and learn to control it, otherwise you are doomed to be like the rest of the sheeple that make up most of this world.

just a thought.

if you want to get angry, get angry at me with a PM. im not trying to derail this thread, just spread some ideas to get you all to think. 

Wow.  Just wow. 

I really don't know how to respond to this right now.  I really don't. 

I think this is the first time that I have been called egotistical, full of self-entitlement, facially disingenuous, and a "sheeple" since I have been posting at APK. 

However, it is not the first time that I have been subjected to ad hominem attacks by forum members under the guise of a "challenge to make me think." 

I usually give y'all far more credit than to pull stuff like this, but there's days that...I'm at a loss for words right now, and it takes a lot to do that. 

When I said what I did about having biases, prejudices, and hating certain things in life, I did so under the pretense of making the point that I am fallible.  I make mistakes.  We all do--being able to admit that one is fallible is part of a concept known as "humility," which I strive to maintain. 

Taking those moments when people freely admit their faults and using a public forum to kick them around after they do that?  Wow.

I'm not angry with you, Max.  I never have been, and I'm not going to be now.  I'm just in utter shock that someone who's got more history here than I do and (presumably) has a greater understanding of the concepts of the motion art we all love than I would do something to treat a poster here like utter garbage. 

Wow.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
Wow.  Just wow. 

I really don't know how to respond to this right now.  I really don't. 

I think this is the first time that I have been called egotistical, full of self-entitlement, facially disingenuous, and a "sheeple" since I have been posting at APK. 

However, it is not the first time that I have been subjected to ad hominem attacks by forum members under the guise of a "challenge to make me think." 

I usually give y'all far more credit than to pull stuff like this, but there's days that...I'm at a loss for words right now, and it takes a lot to do that. 

When I said what I did about having biases, prejudices, and hating certain things in life, I did so under the pretense of making the point that I am fallible.  I make mistakes.  We all do--being able to admit that one is fallible is part of a concept known as "humility," which I strive to maintain. 

Taking those moments when people freely admit their faults and using a public forum to kick them around after they do that?  Wow.

I'm not angry with you, Max.  I never have been, and I'm not going to be now.  I'm just in utter shock that someone who's got more history here than I do and (presumably) has a greater understanding of the concepts of the motion art we all love than I would do something to treat a poster here like utter garbage. 

Wow.

believe it or not i didnt mean it with any disrespect. you know what my bad, i didnt fully read your post i guess.

apparently we have the same opinion on the subject. you said they think they know everything over there, in your post i got the feeling you thought you know everything.

change every "you" in my post to "we" and you might feel a little differently. i rarely speak directly to a person on these forums.

i just quite frankly cant stand threads like this. full of people hoping on the bandwagon to bash people who bash parkour, for what?

and you keep saying "they do not" like you are summing up the entire forum and all the people that make it what it is. a few points of yours just drove me a bit nuts and for that i apologize, i tend to forget to take the meaning of the whole post rather than a few points presented in it.

and again, i (believe it or not) was not trying to kick you around as you say. the first part of your post just really made you seem like a know it all. tone of voice is something i almost always forget about on forums, thus i sound like a retard about 50 percent of the time. i didnt call you egotistical, or mean to anyway. it just really seemed like you felt you had the right to hate on that forum and the people that are on it.

make of it what you want, again i apologize for not fully comprehending your post. 

Offline Jose "ballzy" Baliño

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »
well they did have a point. And that being that pk/fr is no a sport for it is a non competitive activity. Unless there is such thing as a noncompetitive sport (so far all the sports i know have to have a winner(and a loser to make them feel bad)) then they are wrong and lost my respect if i had any for them

"Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread limits into your work, into your morality, int