Author Topic: Lucid Dreaming - The ULTIMATE in Parkour Visualization?  (Read 3408 times)

Dekudude

Lucid Dreaming - The ULTIMATE in Parkour Visualization?
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
Hey there!

As I'm sure many of you are aware, lucid dreaming is simply a dream in which one is aware he or she is dreaming. Once the dreamer realizes that he or she is actually still asleep, that person is able to strengthen the dream, making its realism, vividness, and stability, increase. (for example, rubbing one's hands together helps the brain enter, and stay in, the dream world, without waking the person up) From what my research has gathered, lucid dreams are very, very realistic at times.

If you have seen Inception yet, you might have an idea of what I'm talking about. Though that movie is purely fiction and fantasy, it takes a lot of its ideas from lucid dreaming... which is a real phenomenon.

I have recently, after a time of hiatus, decided to start trying to lucid dream again... and I have been getting pretty close. Has anyone else successfully achieved this?

If so, what are your thoughts on using lucid dreaming for parkour visualization? If we build a giant parkour playground with our mind, and then run through it using our real-life skills, how potent do you think real-life muscle memory will be, following the dream? I've read that practicing certain skills, such as public speaking, in a lucid dream can help the individual to, following the dream, feel more confident. Furthermore, I read in one place that it can help one to practice martial arts by training the mind to work on the moves.

Do you think this could be a practical way to practice parkour? Obviously, not exclusively, but as an extra layer on the cake? I'm interested to hear your guys' success stories, or ideas. If it works, who knows-- parkour might suddenly be a lot easier to learn than any of us ever thought possible!

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/

Offline scipherneo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Lucid Dreaming - The ULTIMATE in Parkour Visualization?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
I personally, everytime i remember a dream, its lucid. I'm able to almost immidiately recognize a dream now, simply because i remember going to sleep and know there's no possible way for me to be at that spot at that moment. And i can deffinatley tell you lucid dreams are GREAT for overcoming fear. I haven't had a lucid in a weekish time, so i haven't been able to try it with parkour, but i lucid dreamed skateboarding, and BMX'ing, and i overcame fear of trying certain tricks. If you ever find yourself in a lucid dream, and suspect you might be dreaming but aren't sure, two things you can do. 1. Pinch yourself. It seems really old fashioned and stuff but it works. If it just feels like a small touch or nothing at all, your dreaming. Also, text and numbers will randomly change in dreams. For example, look at a clock, and it might say 3:45. Look away for a second, and look back, and if your dreaming it might say 2:39. Also, try not to get too excited when you realize your dreaming, it will wake you up. If at any point you feel yourself losing connection to your dream, stop whatever your doing, and spin in circles on your heels. It sounds really dumb, but it strengthens the connection to your dream, BUT, chances are, it will change your location, so don't get over excited or mad with your new location, or the dream will end. You'll also probobly need to train your falls, like start by walking down steps, or taking small hops, then slowly take bigger and bigger falls. Too big of a fall too quickly and your dream will end. The first few lucid dreams you have try doing something simple, like go looking for someone. Think of a specific person and keep them in your head then go around practicing parkour from place to place looking for the person. Eventually you'll find them, and you can try to stretch your dream out longer, but i find my dreams are more objective based, and once i find the person, or get to a certain spot, the dream will start losing connection. If you feel that your losing connection to your dream after finding a person, or something like that, try to regain connection, and then try to self-terminate the dream. The more control you gain in the dream the more you'll start with the next lucid you have. Train your mind.
Yeah, that was me.

Dekudude

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »
But it has helped you overcome fear in real life of doing certain tricks? That's awesome to know. I can't wait until I master these. I'm getting close, I can tell... I'm just not yet there.

Offline scipherneo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
Yep, just make sure you remember doing the trick in the dream, and RETAIN the memory. That can be harder than it sounds, it helps a lot to write down exactly what happened when you wake up so you remember it for good.
Yeah, that was me.

perception

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
I realized I was dreaming once so I decided to start practicing punches and stuff. They were really weak and I couldn't put much strength into any attacks. I then tried to do a kamehameha and it failed.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
Every forum I go to had at least one discussion about Lucid Dreaming, whether it be for parkour, psionics, or Avatar. It seems we all realize the possibilities that can happen with it. While it would be a good technique to use, it takes quite a while to master.

(Ugh, I forgot two words in a row for this post. Major brain fart)
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
The only time I ever lucid dreamed, I got really excited. I was on top of a skyscraper, so I ran to the edge and dived off. Upon impact with the ground, I woke up.

Never had a lucid dream since then, over a year ago, so I think I must have broken my brain :|

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »
I've had a couple, half of them I get too excited when i realize I was lucid dreaming, and the other half I tried to make shit happen but fail and thus got mad and woke up. :(

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
I've actually wanted to do this for a while, but never remember ANY dreams. Almost EVER.

And @Alex, I've experimented with psionics, and have you had any luck? PM me, i'd like to talk to you more about it without Hi-Jacking the thread.
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline TheNewbIAm

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
i will for sure try this tonight im going to stay up late so i can fall asleep quickly after watching the video adn doin the whole i am lucid the world is vivid thing then hopefully ill relize it quickly and learn how to enjoy my dreams

i knew that this was possible but never really looked into it thnx

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
I had a few lucid dreams before i started parkour. I was floating to begin with so i realized it had to be a dream so I started to control it. But I was only able to go up and down and across the warehouse (I was in a warehouse) two or three times before i woke up.

Offline ~Tiger~

• Patas
  • http://youtube.com/shad0wtraceur - Subscribe! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »
I used to have lucid dreams all the time, I would also remember a lot of details about my dreams, but that was 2 years ago.

I don't remember my dreams anymore. It's weird.

Offline David Lout

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »
I actually had one two nights ago about doing parkour. I didn't actually do anything I have never done in real life, except for kong off of a 30 foot treehouse, but I did learn the double kong, the dash(always been scared of), and the kash the very next day. So it could be that it has helped me with getting over fear somehow. I never had to train or anything for it, at least not specifically. I started meditating, and a little while after that it just kind of happened.
The only thing that keeps me going is movement.

Offline Dan M.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
I dream about parkour almost every night but I've never had a lucid dream before. I definetely gotta try this out :o
Goals
Backflip
B-Twist
Smooth Wall-Run

Offline PUREMETAL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »
Something I do, is mark one or both of my hands. Then I can check my hands while dreaming. & have a bit of fun.

Offline buddy d.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
omg i didnt get that i have had many of these dreames untill i got near the end. i have never rly tried to do pk in one but im goinging to. most of the time when i have them its after somthing happened earler that day that didn,t go how i wanted it to and n the dream everthing went the way i made it weird huh. well mabey if i bail tomorow ill have a lucid dream.