Author Topic: Video Games in the Media  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
Video Games in the Media
« on: October 19, 2006, 06:49:12 PM »
I was watching a show when a commertial for our local news came on. It said it had a story on a new game that was causing a huge amount of controversy which was Bully by of course rockstar (the makers of grand theft auto).

The clip they showed was of course the most violent clip they could find, main charachter beating up some kid in a locker room. Then, without stating the change, it cut to footage from other games, including someone being chainsawed in half in resident evil four, a scene from another game where someone was holding a gun to someone elses head, and then a very bloody/gory scene from another game which i belive was silent hill.

The woman siad it was Grand Theft Auto in a school and it was nothing more than a "columbine simulator"

I found all of this very interesting because the game doesn't feature, blood, gore, guns, knives, chainsaws, and is rated T for teen.

As you can see this news cast was a little misleading. I thought I'd share this to see what you thought and if youv'e seen anything like this.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games in the Media
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:50:44 PM »
The media likes to put blame on everything but the parents.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:35:11 PM »
They also like to shed light on how violence is used to advertise, and to entice people, while forgetting how they use taglines like " A man goes balistic in deli, tune in at 11 for the details" in order to boost their ratings...

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »
They also like to shed light on how violence is used to advertise, and to entice people, while forgetting how they use taglines like " A man goes balistic in deli, tune in at 11 for the details" in order to boost their ratings...

There's no difference between reporting on a violent video game for ratings and reporting on violence for ratings.  Whatever is bleak enough for them, they will report it.  It's just another means of prostituting reality, warping it for private economic objectives.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:47:18 PM »
Sounds like the exact reason why I hate the news.
"Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:10:43 PM »
I used to be a big gamer but i've started to play less since i started parkour. But i think the whole thing about games warping kids minds and that games help kids get better aim so when they shot up a school they can kill more(yes this was said about a school shooting). It's a whole lot of bull. I'm not gonna say that it can't happen cause it can. But to qoute chris rock.....

"what ever happened to crazy?"

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »
Yeah the average gamer probably cant even load and shoot a gun properly. Cause in games all of that stuff happens automaticly. And there aren't crosshair aimers in real life. lol

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:43:03 PM »
lol pyro hella funny, yea for reals kids being "brainwashed" by games in my opinion is bs. as an avid(?) gamer i hate it when people try to put blame on video games. i mean like a kid going out and shooting a cop because it was on GTA?? i mean COME ON!!! it happens and it sucks, but its not the games fault!!

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:33:39 PM »
I think it is so frickin ridiculous when video games are blamed for crap that people do.  Seriously...crappy parents need to take the fall for their crappy parenting and realize that yes, their son that decided to go shoot up the school is really screwed up in the head and it's probably their fault.  I think it's ridiculous watching documentaries about serial killers on TV because 90 percent of the time the killer's parents were the worst influence in the person's life.  And then, when they ask the parents if there was anything that ever made them think their child was capable of killing people they alway answer, no I have no idea.  It makes me want to punch them in the face and tell them it's you you f*&^%@& MORON!  Sorry, I realize I just started rambling uncontrollable, the topic of crappy parents ruining their children's lives just gets me worked up.  Maybe it's because I'm studying to become a pediatrician.
"Empty your mind,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 05:48:37 AM »
Yea, it's a shame that news program is using the sensationalism of violence to garner viewers while admonishing Rockstar for *basically* doing the same thing.

Some video games romanticize violence, but no more than some movies, tv shows, or music. The interactivity that video games as a media adds over others is negligable, I'd say. If a person has emotional/mental "issues" to begin with, a video game isn't going to drive them to act upon it. It's what gave them such issues to begin with that is the root cause.

*sigh* Parents, just don't let your kids play games inappropriate for them. It's just the same as any other media.

CAN I GETTA "AMEN" FROM THE GAMERS IN THE HOUSE?! ;)

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 06:42:12 AM »
First off: AMEN!
Secondly: Oh sensationalism!  ::)

Offline HP

• Patas
  • We all have hidden potential.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 10:28:01 AM »
The news is used for nothing more then reporting what is wrong in the world, whatever they can find to shock people for better ratings. When was the last time you heard them report on someone doing something for the better? I know it's been never for me.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »
Amen!!!

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 11:57:01 AM »
AMEN!!!  ohfomehxr, your comment captured exactly how I feel, and you said it a lot more intelligently than I did.  When I get all worked up I sound like a babbling idiot lol.  Oh well, the point is I don't like the news.  Unless they decide to talk about parkour and how awesome it is!   ;)
"Empty your mind,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »
Tyler you go the lolz all up on me! :D Thanks for the compliment!!

Yeah, I followed news a/b Jack Thompson for a while a time ago when he was really in the spotlight with is anti-video game campaign. Mostly it was funny, esp how the PA guys handled him on the phone. ;)

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline wgross05

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
Yeah the average gamer probably cant even load and shoot a gun properly. Cause in games all of that stuff happens automaticly. And there aren't crosshair aimers in real life. lol

hehehe

and akh horus, youve got one kick ass signature.

and now for the actual topic... i may just be reiterating what people have already said, but i think that movies, tv, books, and music all contribute much more to the general desensitization (i made that word up, but not being as sensitive to violence) to violence. sure there is a good amount of violence in video games. ill accept that. but i see a HELL lot more in other movies. i think GTA is the only game that fully allows you to just be horribley violent at will (killing random pedestrians), but many movies, tv shows, and a lot of other forms of entertainment have that also.
If youre not living on the edge, your taking up too much space.
-no clue

Offline HP

• Patas
  • We all have hidden potential.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 05:35:51 PM »
  killing random pedestrians

But its so damn fun!!

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
No one seriously thinks that video games cause children to become violent. The only people that are behind this thoery as those who are either insecure and power-hungry and wish to control the behaviors of others (see also: evangelicals and radicals from all world religions, politicians, etc.) and parents who are scared enough for thier children's safety to believe whatever hype the former party is selling.

This isn't a problem specific to video games, though. Society is a giant game of tag, and video games are it. Before video games it was heavy metal. For a while, movies and TV were catching the blame. Before that is was rock and roll. Before rock is was just music in general. With time, gamers will become lobbyists and senators and the public opinion on this issue will shift, and in accordance with the great circle of blame / lack of personal and parental responsibility / egotistical control issues, a new target will be selected for ridicule.
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.

Steez

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 07:10:40 PM »
AMEN

also, i think it says something about the world we live in when violence-containing teasers generate the highest ratings.  (yay militarism)

(btw, any debaters in the house?)

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 07:53:57 PM »
AMEN

also, i think it says something about the world we live in when violence-containing teasers generate the highest ratings.  (yay militarism)

(btw, any debaters in the house?)

I'm not a debater, but I'm an English and Cultural Theory major with a Philosophy of Ethics and Morality minor, so I'm accustomed to arguing in a debate-like fashion.  I've conducted proper debates before and they're not quite as fun as... philosophical discourse.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia