Author Topic: Well this is kind of upsetting...  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
Well this is kind of upsetting...
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
http://ko-kr.facebook.com/pages/Kenosha-Parkour/109347712428563

Saw this group, read a few wall posts about trying to run from the cops while they were on a roof.

So, i posted a wall post saying that they were mislead, and very kindly offered to train with them. And this is what i get:

"You don't have to be jealous that you can't do shit. It's ok that you can't do a simple backflips off a wall."

I really don't know what to do about this..
Any help you guys?
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Marquiz Xavier Teniente

• Patas
  • As the spirit wanes, the form appears.
    • View Profile
Re: Well this is kind of upsetting...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:27:31 AM »
Sounds like a set of internet superheroes to me. I'd keep my distance, they feed on attention. Just remember if they get in trouble we just need to make it clear that we don't approve of their behavior and offered to teach them 'the right way' but they refused.
"In 1953-1954 we dérived for three or four months straight. That’s the extreme limit. It’s a miracle it didn’t kill us."
—Ivan Chtcheglov

Offline Paul Kannenberg

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
totally agreeing with the "internet superheroes" comment. it's unfortunate but these kinds of people are out there and just getting more common as people decide that parkour is cool and edgy. they'll either get reigned in by law enforcement (and we scowl disapprovingly at them) or they'll get bored and quit.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
I have attempted too, to reason with the people of Kenosha Parkour. This is what i said...

"Jeremy is right. He wasn't trying to be offensive. Rooftops are illegal and it doesn't set a good name for parkour if you run from the cops and use it for illegal purposes. There was no need for the comment that said he doesn't have to be jealous. It is great that your are training parkour but it should be done in the right way. I have trained with the Yamakasi and they would definitely not approve of the discipline being portrayed as you show it. Parkour is about what you said it is up there, but that comes with some responsibility. If you have not heard Parkour was made an anti-social activity in Moreton in the UK because people were using parkour like you guys are using it. That could happen in Kenosha. Parkour is new to America and needs to be shown in a positive light, otherwise you might see no parkour signs just like skateboarding has. It only takes a few people to ruin something for everyone. You wouldn't want to be those people that ruin parkour would you? If so continue training the way you train. Just don't label it parkour/freerunning. It wouldn't be fair to all the other traceurs in not only Kenosha, but all of America too. So train hard, train safe, and train right. Set a good example so that other might follow it."

I hope they at least take something from what i wrote. We can only hope and try to educate, and if all else fails do what Marquiz says.

Also Jeremy if these guys don't come around I would go to the police station in Kenosha and explain the difference between what you do (parkour) and what these guys do (non-parkour???) just so you don't get caught up in it when they get in trouble. Also so parkour doesn't take a hit on the behalf of these guys.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:51:02 PM by Jacob Carter »
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
Thanks you guys, I really hope I'll be able to talk to these guys
Wisconsin Parkour

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
Hope it all turned out okay, Jeremy. Incidentally if you need WIpk's help in your meeting with the authorities, let us know. We're always happy to help spread the good word and although I'm confident you will do an outstanding job, sometimes it helps to have a "strength in numbers" type thing (and/or people who are experienced in talking to authorities about parkour).

So let me know--send an email or give me or the Waukesha guys a call.

Let us know how it goes! Bon courage!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Zachery Schuh

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
Oh my lord, I took a look at their page. Its pretty upsetting how they represent Parkour. People already seem to be hesistant to accept that it is safe and socially healthy.
You have to be stronger than a football player, faster than a track star, have more endurance than a soccer player, and be more be nimble than a basketball player. That's right, it's Parkour.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:51:44 PM »
Zak - They haven't posted on their page in almost a year. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jeremy - Did you ever meet up with these guys at all? What ever happened with the situation?
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline Zachery Schuh

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
Thats relieving  8).
You have to be stronger than a football player, faster than a track star, have more endurance than a soccer player, and be more be nimble than a basketball player. That's right, it's Parkour.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
I never even really found out who they were actually!
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
They seem to have inevitably disbanded. It's been over a year since they posted.
Columbia County Parkour - Bloomsburg University (founder)
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 A.D.A.P.T Certified

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
That's probably for the best. They don't seem like too great of people anyways. You find that a couple people in the community are jerks. They probably gave up on parkour. When people train parkour and don't follow the discipline I think it's easier to give up on it. In my opinion at least.

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
When someone trains for self-betterment, they are more likely to stick with the training. They have that drive for improvement.

When someone trains for their ego, they won't last very long with what they're doing. The drive for ego is not nearly as powerful.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
Yeah, basically what I was trying to say. You worded it to sound way better. Thanks.

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
<3