Author Topic: Kong to precision tips?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Kong to precision tips?
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »
So i'm still pretty new to kong to precisions. When you have two walls (or rails) that are the same height, about 4-5 feet apart, and are parallel, what are some tricks to really get your feet on top of that second wall? I find that I kind of go too straight forward and my feet can't reach the top of the second wall and konging the first one.

I also want to try and nail a kong to precision from railing to railing. But it's pretty scary.

So anyone have any tips or tricks for nailing these?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline BRR

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Kong to precision tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
Iím still working on this myself. I found it allot easier to find smaller gaps to Kong to precision. Just as in everything, work up to the big distances. On my campus they have these trash cans that are super heavy so you can Kong them all day and they wonít move but with a little effort you can scoot them around. Most of the time I place the can a reasonable distance from a wall and keep moving it back as I am successful. You could do the same thing with the homemade vault 'boxes' people have. So that is one thing, start small and move to wider distance. It is also easier to start by landing on a wall then a rail.
Another thing that has helped me is to get my precisions down. I have struggled to get distance on rail to rail precisions so I have been training balance by walking on rails and trying different distance precisions. I cannot Kong to precision nearly as far as just a precision to a rail but master rail precisions.
Also it helps me when my Kong is more of a dive Kong. I found when I started I jumped right next to the rail or trash can and went high but not far, so jumping from farther away has helped me. Hopefully you get more replies because I am doing well on them but a few more pointers could always help.

Offline Aaron Roberts

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »
In a similar thread I heard about doing a kong vault over the wall and spot your landing on the floor. Maybe draw a chalk line, lay some thread or something on the floor where you want to land. That way, if you miss it doesn't matter, and you can build up to landing them properly.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »
I can kong one wall to a lower wall, but I can't do it if the walls are the same height. I don't really project straight forwards, and up a little, so I can't get my feet to stick on top of the second wall. Tricks for this?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline BRR

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
What kind of take off do you use for the Kong? Split foot, double punch? That could be it. Some people find the double punch gives them great height but takes away forward momentum. And most people say the split foot is the best for distance. I personally use the split foot almost all the time, even for Kong to precisions.
But since you are having trouble when the wall is the same height it may be your precision technique and landing skill. For a while I could only land 100% of the time to a lower bar, parallel height about 40% and jumping to a higher rail was 10%. I trained precisions and balance allot and there are allot of precision tutorials out there but I found that I would go too far forward and not up. Most people tell you to jump at a 45 degree angle but for me itís 30 or so. If you perfect your precision landing you will be more successful.
A friend I have been training is scared of the Kong to precision and so instead of keeping his legs tucked after the Kong he drops one in case he falls but that pulls his momentum down, try and see if you do that. Keep your knees tucked and at the last moments reach your feet out as you spot the landing.
I think if it was me though I would work on the proper take off of the Kong. Practice your kongs somewhere else and try to get high and far, like I said I found the split foot method to work best for me. I hope I helped, if not post a video of you attempting it a few times so we can get an idea of what you are doing.

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »
Stepping into your vault (split foot) is for sure the way to go, you also don't want to neglect a nice "U" shaped dip with those last two steps, as well as a powerful arm circle to get the most power you can into your vault. Next thing is to just make sure you drive enough with that heel and then bring your chest up as you tuck and then get ready for the precision. Hope that makes sense.
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »
I found the biggest thing for me was just COMMITTING to it. The first few times I was trying em I kept putting one foot on the ledge and dropping the other one down. That was simply due to fear. Eventually I just told myself to push off as hard as I can and hold my tuck, and so the landing would come by default. I did it and BAM, landed. It was really just fear that was getting in my way, not technique. Although I did improve my technique as I tried some bigger ones.

So my advice is find a kong to precision that YOU KNOW is easy, and when you look at it you say "c'mon that looks like cake" to yourself (even though you still bail out when going for it) and just punch off the ground hard and hold the tuck. If it is indeed easy, then I'm sure you'll land it. Ya just gotta COMMIT.

just be safe and confident. make sure you know you can do it.

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »
Here's some tips: Make sure you have a proper trajectory when you take off. If you're too close you'll just end up gaining height but no distance. It can be different for different objects, but basically the more momentum you have(or the faster your run up) the farther you'll want to take off from the obstacle.
Tip 2: You definitely want to be able to transfer all your momentum from your run into your kong, but whats just as important, if not more so, is using your arms. The reason you want to take off farther away from the obstacle(so you're stretched out pretty much) is so you can pull the entire way with your arms. Your arms are extremely important for getting your body up high enough for a kong to precision.
And also, all these tips are for the split foot kong technique. Not like its any different for the punch technique anyways, jus sayin.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount