Author Topic: ## Keeping Socialize in line ##  (Read 12483 times)

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
Re: ## Keeping Socialize in line ##
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
once again, i'm screwed because i cant get on a chatroom. military filter blows...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
That's ok. That's why there are other threads. Believe me, you're not missing anything useful. As random as other threads get, this is far worse, as people are testing out font size, color, etc.

Now you can post something useful or interesting somewhere ;D

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
I didn't lock it. I just had the last post.
There is now a CRAZY TALK thread in Socialize.
If someone is way off topic, just tell them "Take it to CRAZY TALK"

So Dylan - if you want to really talk about practicing in minimal clothing... [since nudity is generally not acceptable]... take it to CRAZY TALK.

How the hell is a serious discussion on a psychological training trick crazy talk?
=\

The mods have the ability to delete posts for a reason, and a single thread can't contain an entire boards worth of discussion, this makes me seriously debate just leaving APK altogether besides lurking the video section...
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
How the hell is a serious discussion on a psychological training trick crazy talk?
=\

The mods have the ability to delete posts for a reason, and a single thread can't contain an entire boards worth of discussion, this makes me seriously debate just leaving APK altogether besides lurking the video section...

Or you can stick around and offer suggestions on how to help it. ;)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
Or you can stick around and offer suggestions on how to help it. ;)
Or I can use this as an excuse to GTFO my computer and train more. D:
I can contact pretty much every traceur I know here through facebook on my iPod, even have a lot of cell numbers.

I liked actively posting here because the community was unique in the fact we had a socialize type board where we COULD just have fun posting, but also having an entirely serious overall board...

It's a lot more boring in my honest opinion having a strictly moderated no post count forum.
No post count forums were MADE to be random, really...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
Training more is good. Suggestions are good, too.

I think threads should be warned before they are locked. They shouldn't be locked without good reason.

It's fun to have socialize and a place to just post whatever... but APK was having problem with the "whatever" taking over the rest of the boards. That's why this thread exists. We see there's a problem, and we're trying to fix it so everyone's happy.

This thread isn't about naked training, or training in minimal clothing. That's why I asked you to "take it to Crazy Talk." [either the one here in Socialize, or the REAL one.] Just using that as an example of how we can all try to keep some threads on track.

You're always free to start a serious thread if you're serious. Just don't post it in Socialize. I'll even start it for you.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,27104.0.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:13:11 PM by Gregg »

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
Or I can use this as an excuse to GTFO my computer and train more. D:
I can contact pretty much every traceur I know here through facebook on my iPod, even have a lot of cell numbers.

I liked actively posting here because the community was unique in the fact we had a socialize type board where we COULD just have fun posting, but also having an entirely serious overall board...

It's a lot more boring in my honest opinion having a strictly moderated no post count forum.
No post count forums were MADE to be random, really...

The problem is that the randomness derails serious threads that happen to be posted in the Soc section because they're not PK related. Some people like to have actual serious discussions about things not related to PKFR, but it's impossible to do that in the only appropriate section, because the thread will instantly get derailed.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
Right. So send them to Crazy Talk, or the chat room. [It's working pretty good so far]
That's what they're there for.

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »
Training more is good. Suggestions are good, too.

I think threads should be warned before they are locked. They shouldn't be locked without good reason.

It's fun to have socialize and a place to just post whatever... but APK was having problem with the "whatever" taking over the rest of the boards. That's why this thread exists. We see there's a problem, and we're trying to fix it so everyone's happy.

This thread isn't about naked training, or training in minimal clothing. That's why I asked you to "take it to Crazy Talk." [either the one here in Socialize, or the REAL one.] Just using that as an example of how we can all try to keep some threads on track.

You're always free to start a serious thread if you're serious. Just don't post it in Socialize. I'll even start it for you.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,27104.0.html
So... you basically just said it's being fixed where it doesn't need to be fixed, and ignored where it needs to be fixed...
Can I point out how counterproductive that is...?

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:56 PM »
So... you basically just said it's being fixed where it doesn't need to be fixed, and ignored where it needs to be fixed...
Can I point out how counterproductive that is...?

He's trying to help, man. Relax. :)

"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 04:31:29 AM »
He's trying to help, man. Relax. :)

I'm not really mad, I'm confused.

Haven't been mad, I just kinda shrugged as I was posing about rather leaving.
I love APK, It'd have really sucked to just leave besides the video section. D:

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 04:39:26 AM »
I just think of all the time that is spent by people posting in Socialize. What if we applied it towards something else? Reading articles, discussing topics in General Discussion, offering advice to beginners [on here and in real life], conditioning, etc.

Agreed. I think There is way too many people like that on this board. I dont like simply posting topics just to chat, wihtout anything useful.

Say I post a topic.  then someone posts something off-topic, or not directly related.  Then the Night Hawks swoop in, completely destroying it  and making it /b/

I was actually thinking about posting this problem for all to see, but I am a n00b on this forum and I will probably not be heard through.
Is it just me (it happens to me all the time) or do people just not post on intelligent or helpful threads? like my, per-se, scientfiic discussion will go untouched, when that SPAM thread keeps popping up. that *naked freerunning better awareness* was a good step, but I saw where it was going and heck who knows where it is now.
sticky this thread ;D

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline bloodwolf00091

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Be the best YOU can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:38 PM »
hmmm..... in my honest opinion, i believe that we should moderate the threads, if people keep getting off topic, PM them and warn them that they might be suspended from posting if they don't stay on topic.  :P

I'm not saying ban-hammer them for saying "lol, yeah i did that before" or "when i did [insert movement here] i did such and such..." or even "dude thats not good, you should work on form". 
I say really put the ban-hammer on things like "hey [insert name], stop complaining!" or "hey [insert name] what's with the [insert whatever]?"  :D

but give them like 2 warnings before you suspend them. that way they have a chance to figure out what they are doing wrong. :-[

i like the chatango chat idea, but there should be "topics" in their too! That way its not 100 conversations going on at once. it can be hard to follow! :-\
If your afriad to to fall, you will fall because you are afraid ~Danny Illabaca

Offline Jesse Wharton

• will behave
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • Click here
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 07:46:55 PM »
i can make more right now ones fine because people are just starting to use it

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
  • Working Hard and Hardly Working
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06:38 AM »
What with people blaming Night Hawks we dont do that stuff anymore and i find it rude that people keep comparing us to 4 chan

Offline Jesse Wharton

• will behave
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • Click here
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 05:16:02 AM »
well um brian it took us almost a year to get the grammar nazi thread to 100 pages. you guys are gonna have a 100 page thread in what three day and you started it like three weeks ago. we have alost had more threads in the past few weeks than in like a year don't take it personally when traceurs that have been posting for two years get mad because you guys swarm over everything. That's why you get compared to 4chan.

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
  • Working Hard and Hardly Working
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:20 AM »
No but what im saying is we dont hijack threads anymore.

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2010, 06:04:06 AM »
hmmm..... in my honest opinion, i believe that we should moderate the threads, if people keep getting off topic, PM them and warn them that they might be suspended from posting if they don't stay on topic.  :P

I'm not saying ban-hammer them for saying "lol, yeah i did that before" or "when i did [insert movement here] i did such and such..." or even "dude thats not good, you should work on form". 
I say really put the ban-hammer on things like "hey [insert name], stop complaining!" or "hey [insert name] what's with the [insert whatever]?"  :D

but give them like 2 warnings before you suspend them. that way they have a chance to figure out what they are doing wrong. :-[

i like the chatango chat idea, but there should be "topics" in their too! That way its not 100 conversations going on at once. it can be hard to follow! :-\

this is a good idea and i like, i just read through the whole 3 pages here and it seems as if the main problem isnt necassary randomness its the ability to change a topic with a post...if you have a serious discussion and someone jacks it with a couple others then  well i agree with bloodwolf, warn them, then stop the posting privliages for a while....i admit i also post random shit sometimes, but we all do from time to time....maybe we can make the APK community all about parkour and freerunning instead of a "soscialize spot" and maybe make a sister site or a sub-site for the traceur(e)s here to go and BS
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2010, 06:54:49 AM »
well um brian it took us almost a year to get the grammar nazi thread to 100 pages. you guys are gonna have a 100 page thread in what three day and you started it like three weeks ago. we have alost had more threads in the past few weeks than in like a year don't take it personally when traceurs that have been posting for two years get mad because you guys swarm over everything. That's why you get compared to 4chan.
That is nothing like 4chan.
You basically insult every single person who is a night hawk in a massive way by comparing them to 4chan.
Okay, not even basically, that is flat out insulting.
Wtf?

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »
That is nothing like 4chan.
You basically insult every single person who is a night hawk in a massive way by comparing them to 4chan.
Okay, not even basically, that is flat out insulting.
Wtf?

Insulting as it may be, I'm gonna agree with him. This isn't the first time the Socialize board has gotten overrun by nonsensical randomness, nor is it the first time it's been compared to 4chan.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.