Author Topic: ## Keeping Socialize in line ##  (Read 12486 times)

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: ## Keeping Socialize in line ##
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
Well if your not a mod how do you delete your own post or whole topic. ?

Here's for the post edit/remove:

For whole threads, I don't think you can do that anymore.

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
  • Working Hard and Hardly Working
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:07 PM »
.... Sigh Well so much for that thanks for helping out though.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
But can't you lock your own thread?
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
Here's what we do at HIpk:

If a thread is going way off topic, we tell them to take it to "Crazy Talk".  Crazy Talk is our catch-all thread for off-topic talk, or my weird experiments like "How much can I type in 1 post in 1 breath?" and "I am going to make my posts as haiku."

The easiest thing to do is tell the people in Training, [etc.] to take their discussion to Socialize. Even create a thread and link if needed. If it continues, warn. These steps can [and should] be done by everyone in the forum. If it still doesn't work, threads can be locked, but I think locking is no fun. It's like banning a person, and should be last resort.

If the topic is already Socialize... let the Night Hawks fill up their thread... or maybe it's time to build in a chat feature so people can have group or small chats here at APK. That's basically what the Night Hawk thread is. We've even used some threads at HIpk that way when we were trying to organize a last minute jam here on Maui.

It should be EASY to talk with friends about PK. It should also be easy to pull away into a private chat if a group is hashing out details and doesn't want others to learn secret challenges, etc. It should also be easy to block trolls and flamers.

PM is too slow, and I haven't seen it used well as a chat, except one to one.

There is nothing inherently bad about short posts. There is nothing inherently good about long posts. Or medium ones. They can all be abused or misused.

Let's all work to make Socialize more social, and the other threads more on-topic.
Mahalo. Thank you.

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »
Well Greggg from what Ive seen on Crazy talk HIpk is a closely knit group since mostly its just you guys and its easier to see whats happening. This is only from what ive seen i may be wrong.

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
Gregg, you continue to amaze me.

I've been trying to stay out of this post (as i know what repercussions i might get from joining in), but I agree with Gregg. The PM system is barely usefull. We need threads, such as Night Hawks and Spam, that we can just get on and converse. If not, the thread "hijacking" would actually be worse. Thats the reason I created the Night Hawk thread. We had hijacked anywhere between five and twenty threads that night. I told everyone that we needed to stop doing that and I still do. If i notice a hijacking, i usually go in and tell everyone to bring it to base, aka the Night Hawk thread.

But seriously, we need a chat room.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »
I continue to try to be amazing ;D

In the old days, they used AIM chat. That's not so useful.
I know New England Parkour has chat. Seems someplace else did, too. [Northern Parkour in England?]. I dismember ;D

The problem in both places is too small of a member base. APK does not have that problem.

The best chat area I know is on "Kingdom of Loathing" RPG. Their areas are well modded, and you have to take a fun mini-adventure to qualify for general chat. In addition, they also have more specialized chats for trading items, speaking in haiku, etc. Some you need to qualify for. Some are specific to a certain "clan". Also, you can monitor several channels while chatting in another.

If we have to have chat, that's the chat I would like.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
We used to have a chat room but its usage died out. However, it was very slow. I think something like an IRC channel (but not) would be better. Or, oh I don't know, go back to AIM? I still use it.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
but then there are the unlucky people like myself who can't get on any instant message program or social network.

Offline Jacob Chess

• Mangabey
  • Peace, Love, Sole.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:40 PM »
Well, we do have a Spam Thread. I honestly think it's time we start using it.

This is true and while this would be an excellent idea. If the thread worked, then we wouldn't be discussing this issue right now. We've had several threads for randomness.

The SPAM thread: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.0.html
The Grammar Nazi thread: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,17734.0.html
And the latest Night Hawk thread: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26625.0.html

Once again, all of these seem to not help. And while I would suggest a "Postwhateveryouwantwithoutanyconsequences board" I'm wondering if it would work or even if we should in the first place... Technically, we shouldn't need a separate board for randomness, we should know not to post such threads. The awareness of this problem comes from us, so how can we fix it?
"There is no problem so big it cannot be run away from."

10 push-ups/post! ^^

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Moderate our own posts and help others but thats been said.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »
Self-Control.

Plain and simple, the rules are there. Most people know the rules and/or the rest are reminded of them very quickly. If they choose to ignore them that's their problem and they should face the consequences (Suspension of posting rights, locked thread, banning, etc.)

I'm afraid I'm kind of the right-wing nutcase on this one but I have little tolerance for posters who ignore common responsibility and decency on boards. If the topic's about proper Kong Vault form, don't derail into gibberish. There are threads for that. Mark them with special icons if you have to.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »
Self-Control.

Plain and simple, the rules are there. Most people know the rules and/or the rest are reminded of them very quickly. If they choose to ignore them that's their problem and they should face the consequences (Suspension of posting rights, locked thread, banning, etc.)

I'm afraid I'm kind of the right-wing nutcase on this one but I have little tolerance for posters who ignore common responsibility and decency on boards. If the topic's about proper Kong Vault form, don't derail into gibberish. There are threads for that. Mark them with special icons if you have to.

Agreed.

Honestly, I think we should simply try and go back down to having one or two threads that are specifically for the random, nonsensical babbling that seems to be taking over the entire Socialize board, and punish people for posting crap like that elsewhere. When I joined APK in 2007, it seemed like Socialize was used for off-topic, yet mature and awesome, discussion. Nowadays it literally just reminds me of 4chan, and I am saddened.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 04:11:55 AM »
but then there are the unlucky people like myself who can't get on any instant message program or social network.

Your situation is not the norm though, Colby. However, you can use PMs.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 04:41:18 AM »
I've spoken out against it, but I think the solution may lie in having an IRC.  They spam and chat there instead of playing on the socialize forum.  You can then exercise more control to keep the forum clean because everyone will have a place to ramble.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 10:51:52 AM »
Self-control and "random" threads are fine if they work.
Chat is fine if it works well, and people know it's there and use it.
Mods are good if they use their powers correctly.

There are so many more threads now, and so many more members than in 2007. The mods and admins are not posting as much, or making as much of a presence.
Like, this past week M2. posted 18 times. In the same week in 07 he posted 27 times.
Ryan Ford posted 1 time in the last week. In the same week in 07 he posted 25 times

The best form of moderation in a society is that by peers. In other words, if you know that any citizen of the society has as much right to "bust" you as the cops, then you generally behave. :)

Now, this will sound harsh to some people, but if you think about it, only to the people who intend on breaking the rules.

Anyway, the point is this, use common courtesy and common sense in your posts, and chances are you'll never even be "moderated". There is however a method which every member of the community can use if there is an offensive, spam, or otherwise questionable post. In the corner of each topic is a "report to moderator" button.

Please use this whenever you feel something doesn't belong, and keep our forums free from spam!!

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
Is this why the flying junk thread was locked?
^                          ^
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
I didn't lock it. I just had the last post.
There is now a CRAZY TALK thread in Socialize.
If someone is way off topic, just tell them "Take it to CRAZY TALK"

So Dylan - if you want to really talk about practicing in minimal clothing... [since nudity is generally not acceptable]... take it to CRAZY TALK.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:42:15 PM by Gregg »

Offline Jesse Wharton

• will behave
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • Click here

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Thanks for setting up the chat. We'll see how that works. What I like is you don't HAVE to register. Try it. See if you like it.
Maybe set a link in your sig, so it's easier for people to find?