Author Topic: ## Keeping Socialize in line ##  (Read 12484 times)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
## Keeping Socialize in line ##
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »
I'd like to discuss what you all want to do to keep the Socialize board from polluting the APK forum.

I'll offer any help that you guys want, but I can't do it alone. [Well, I probably could, but I want it to be a community effort... ;)]

Ideas? What must be done to bring the APK boards back to their former glory?
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

wlf

Re: ## Keeping Socialize in line ##
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »
......................uh dude, isnt socialize been kept in line enough? i mean its at the bottom of the board list with consumer whores as its negihbor, and besides its fine.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »
I suggest:

1) Enforce spelling and punctuation rules for everyone to follow. Who doesn't have as much English knowledge will learn eventually, so that's fair.

I've noticed a lot of posts are loosely written (not just missing proper caps) and are hard to follow up, and personally, I just lose interest in that topic if 80% of the posts are like that. It seems like people just state their opinions and don't contribute anything. For example, one guy tells a story and wants an answer, but all he gets is "oh, that happened to me too" "oh, that gotta suck" "yeah, it was blah blah, LOL" and the thread is derailed.

2) Posts must be relevant to the topic, and must be longer than 3 lines.

This is one is self-explanatory.

EDIT: wlf, if you haven't noticed, lots of Socialize people (that's you, Night Hawks) jump onto non-Socialize threads and derail them. They might stop doing that, I'm sure, so this is for everyone else to not do the same mistake.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:36:30 AM by Hazim Salem »

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
Wlf,

I just think of all the time that is spent by people posting in Socialize. What if we applied it towards something else? Reading articles, discussing topics in General Discussion, offering advice to beginners [on here and in real life], conditioning, etc.

Sure, everyone has their right to be entertained and have fun, but I think there is a balance that could be better achieved.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
Hazim touched on it... I think the issue is more along the lines that socialize is spilling out into the other forums. People get used to posting anything they want in there, then they don't realize they've left soc and are now in Training, but posting in the same manner.

While I agree completely that some things have gotten out of hand outside of socialize, telling people that they should be out doing "more important" things is outside the scope of this forum. You are not their parents, and if they want to spend more of their time being entertained than by training or informing, well, it is their life, and that's what they want to do.

I have to stop myself occasionally, and remember that many of these kids are very young (under 15). They havn't really developed the etiquette to know how to post properly. They get carried away easily like they are chatting with friends. I hope we all feel like family here, but we all do need to be more mindfull of how relevant our posts are. I am guilty of this also, of course. Age isn't always the only factor. ;D

I've typed out many responses, and just before I hit Post, I realize I'm answering the post above me, more than I'm answering the OP question. While sometimes that's still on topic, it has a tendancy to derail very rapidly into a discussion about something "related", but not actually on topic.

As far as what to do? Well, hmm, I'll have to think about that, and get back to you.

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »

I've typed out many responses, and just before I hit Post, I realize I'm answering the post above me, more than I'm answering the OP question. While sometimes that's still on topic, it has a tendancy to derail very rapidly into a discussion about something "related", but not actually on topic.

Thank you for mentioning that! :) So to fulfill what you said, I'll answer Andy's question again:

Ideas? What must be done to bring the APK boards back to their former glory?

I just think of all the time that is spent by people posting in Socialize. What if we applied it towards something else? Reading articles, discussing topics in General Discussion, offering advice to beginners [on here and in real life], conditioning, etc.

I agree on that. You have Bri-Bri for example. He was one of the most pointless-posters out there, but when it came to serious discussions, he had very sound logic and reasoning. His writing skills weren't perfect either, but the sound of him actually discussing with reason made me cry (in a good way :) ).

There's nothing more lovely than having everyone enter the discussion and show us more points-of-view. I want everyone to learn and inspire.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »
Give me more power.

Seriously, though, I really like the line length. I don't think there has to be spelling and punctuation rules because hey, some people just aren't very good spellers. So what. Anyways, posts like "Yes" or "lol" are definitely unneeded. And I think the AIM/Facebook thread should be stickied so that people who wish to chat about random things can simply find each other's contact information.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

wlf

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
whats wrong with few worded posts?

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
  • Working Hard and Hardly Working
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
Hazim when I first read your post I was like. WHAT !!! WOW thanks. Then I was like oh okay never mind. But If you guys have not already read I posted something about this like 2 days ago http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.0.html. So Yeah thanks. Well I guess Andy is more popular so more people would read it. But still I feel like Night Hawks Have been doing a good job of keeping random crap on Night Hawks and staying on topic when needed. From time to time that is.  Also I have been trying to moderate what I post and I talked to Kyle Rudolph and Rebecca about this. I know I had a time where I would just Post to Post but its done now. :D

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »
whats wrong with few worded posts?

If everyone posted a few-worded post, it will be annoying for those reading the thread to keep clicking pages to get to major points of the discussion.

Obviously, the whole goal behind this is to make posts more constructive and meaningful. If a few-worded post (like yours just now) is clear and relevant to the topic, then it's fine. :)

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
Is this why the flying junk thread was locked?
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Yeah instead of some one saying oh so then like a frog would be the best Tracueur ever .... You see random :D But at the same time We need one Maybe topic to post random stuff in sometimes people need to be silly. But this doesn't mean to do what i did and make 10 different topics in 5 min and etc.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »
EDIT: wlf, if you haven't noticed, lots of Socialize people (that's you, Night Hawks) jump onto non-Socialize threads and derail them. They might stop doing that, I'm sure, so this is for everyone else to not do the same mistake.

Not all Night Hawks do this, like myself. I want to keep on the topic in the thread if it isn't the Night Hawks, Spam Thread, or what not. I usually try to stay on topic of the thread. I don't agree with the derailing of the thread. But I do agree with Hazim on what we should do. I think it's the best solution.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
Is this why the flying junk thread was locked?

Umm, well.... yes.

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
Well I havent been to the flying junk thread but it sounds like its a Thread that was made just to say random stuff so my question is. Why lock it ?

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 03:31:09 PM »
It was about freerunning naked. But I believe it got out of hand.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »
Oh yeah ok well some things were said that could get people mad.... But anyways What can we do to stop people from posting randomness? moderate or ask them to please stay on topic ?

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
Well, we do have a Spam Thread. I honestly think it's time we start using it.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
Oh yeah ok well some things were said that could get people mad.... But anyways What can we do to stop people from posting randomness? moderate or ask them to please stay on topic ?

We could ask them to edit/remove that random post via PM. Or, the person could add the randomness at the top, and continue with the topic in the rest; just no random-only post. And keep the random tone down, too. ;D

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
Well if your not a mod how do you delete your own post or whole topic. ?

Well that could work Hopefully people will actually listen though.