Author Topic: Brevard County  (Read 13588 times)

Offline Josh W.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Brevard County
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
Hello all,

Based on response, I am going to step up to the reigns and create a meetup group for us out here.  What I want to know is, how many of you would be interested in joining a meetup group for Brevard county?  I've already started coordinating an open gym with Zoicnation and East Coast Gymnastics.  Before East Coast Gym will be on board I need some sort of head count.  Show sound off in this thread if you are in Brevard County and would want to come to an open gym/instructional night with Zoicnation.

www.zoicnation.com
www.eastcoastgym.com
Quote from: Thomas Edwards (Steez)
...we practice our movements so that when we do parkour, we don't need to think, or concentrate on the individual moves.  they become simple 'tools' to 'go that way,' as opposed to 'tricks' to 'flow that way'

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
Re: Brevard County
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:33:29 AM »
I'd come check out the open gym once or twice maybe, but I wouldn't come regularly.  If you start a meetup, I would suggest keeping gym sessions to a minimum and organizing outside training as much as possible.  Also, link the meetup to this board so we can consolidate people in one place as much as possible.

Good luck, let me know if you need help with anything or just want to train: 321-960-8154

Offline Josh W.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
It seems this is going to grow into something even more successful.  I will post the link when I have it, however, Brevard will have it's own section of Zoicnation.  Details as they are available.
...we practice our movements so that when we do parkour, we don't need to think, or concentrate on the individual moves.  they become simple 'tools' to 'go that way,' as opposed to 'tricks' to 'flow that way'

Offline Jacob Scoville

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • PrintSquid
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
I took gymnastics there for 4 years, that place is awesome. I'd probably go a few times if I was over in that area and I think I know a few people who might be interested.

Offline Mcatlin06

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »
Just wondering what city in brevard county are you trying to meet up in

Offline Jacob Scoville

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • PrintSquid
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
Just wondering what city in brevard county are you trying to meet up in

well east coast gymnastics is in Merritt Island.

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
There's a fairly decent number of people in Melbourne/Cocoa/Satellite who are starting to get into parkour.  I'm going to try to get a mini-jam going soon if anybody is up for it.  Thoughts?  Suggestions for spots would be nice too, there're only a couple of good ones in Melbz.

Offline Mcatlin06

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »
well east coast gymnastics is in Merritt Island.
Thanks Ill check it out

Offline rogue runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
hey man im connor i go to east coast every tuesday and friday i would join your group ive been practiceing parkour for two years and do gymnastics to help my parkour http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1505345285

Offline Chibby

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
I'm Starting up in Parkour, and reside in Melbourne, What's good Brevard County!

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
Hey guys I'm getting a little jam started for brevard county people, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the details here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=133382630039794

Offline Josh W.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 02:52:43 AM »
For anyone who may have been tracking this, I want to extend an apology for dropping it.

I had an unexpected deployment come up and work took over my world for awhile, and I never got back to it.  I've only just yesterday reopened the channel with ZN.

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
I wouldn't bother, honestly.  Zoic is not a group we at Florida Parkour feel comfortable supporting.  They don't do real parkour and set a poor example for the Orlando community.

The FLPK website is in the works now and will feature community pages and contacts for each of the active areas of the state.  Once that comes down the pipes we won't need a meetup group or anything to stay organized.

Offline Josh W.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »
Well, I will keep myself open to options.  We may not all get along personally, but any group that helps the parkour/freerunning community continue to grow has my support.

At any rate, I can agree with his ideals, so I'll keep my channels open with him.

but my curiosity is piqued.  why is there unease when it comes to ZN?

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
Mainly the fact that they're advertising themselves as parkour, when that's not actually what they do.  Andy's a climber, who also does flips.  They've got trickers, gymnasts, bboys, etc, who are all great at what they do, but none of it is parkour.  And these are the people who are supposed to be TEACHING parkour to others.  Add to that the general sense of recklessness and disregard for safety or legality, and you can sorta see why we don't hang out with them.  :/

I understand where you're coming from in wanting to keep channels open.  I've got nothing against Andy personally, or his goals for his organization.  I was with him from the beginning, when it was just me and him, pretty much.  Hell, I came up with the name (which, in retrospect, seems kinda lame, lol)  But I've already invested waaay too much time in long and fruitless conversations with him to want to deal with that bs anymore.

We want to make it clear in Orlando and across florida that being capable of doing a few vaults and a cat leap does not mean you are doing parkour.  Parkour is a mindset and a training philosophy, not a set of tricks.  That's all Zoic sees it as, and we can't and won't support that.

Basically, at this point we've realized that they're never going to change the way they do things, and we're never going to be okay with it, so we just stay apart.

Offline Josh W.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
That point of view makes sense.

But yeah, I talked to D.B. tonight, he should be good to go for the 28th.  So, if you want to start spreading the word, I will do the same.

Offline Blue Andy

• Guenons
  • I do some of my best work at zero gravity.
    • View Profile
    • Organizer
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:44:01 PM »
We at Zoic Nation have come a long way. Although we haven't had as many outside meetups as we normally would like, we are remedying that at the beginning of the year. As to what we are about I will say that people from all different back grounds- b boys, trickers, true traceurs, climbers, gymnast etc etc. should all come together and share each of their own styles of parkour. Zoic Nation teaches fundamental movements and makes sure that group bravado doesn't end up getting anyone to do reckless things beyond their means. As for injuries, on average- every 2 months the most we ever have are a few rolled ankles. Injuries anybody would face when practicing any sort of physical sport or technique. I personally, and all of Zoic Nation for that matter, have no problem with anyone at florida parkour. It would be awesome if we could all come to some agreement or understanding, because i think that we could teach each other a lot. So with all this said, i would also like to take responsibility for the misscommunication that has gone on between me and florida parkour. Because of personal conversations we've had, I believe that things might have gotten misconstrued or perhaps taken out of context in regards to whatever was being said. I am accepting of the fact that I can sound arrogant sometimes while talking to others and in return based on the individual my message may not be being conveyed in the correct way. Let me just add that when I started communicating with these individuals, i was new and still seeking knowledge in the whole scene/discipline/history aspect of parkour. There might have been some who have seen me as reckless in the past because my movements may not have been as smooth as they are now. So they were concerned for my safety and the safety of their sport. While my method of parkour may be different,  I am fully aware of my body's strengths and weaknesses. Either way, I am willing to take full responsibility for the misconceptions that our previous interactions have lead to, And hope that I have cleared most of the confusion up. I ensure that in the future, Zoic Nation's actions will speak louder than my socially awkward words ever seem too.

Aside from all that Zoic Nation is trying to do good things for Orlando's parkour community and for everyone's parkour community. i urge you to check us out and judge for your self . you and everyone.

Andy Taylor aka Blue
321-271-5319
TeamZoic.com
ZoicNation@gmail.com
Zoicnation.com
Can't is an ugly word for an obstacle in your path, make yourself better.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
Hey Andy, I'm willing to hash some stuff out with you guys. Shoot me a message on fb and buy me dinner and we'll talk.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:03:28 AM »
We'd like nothing more than to be able to train with everybody, but it's hard to hang with a group that encourages almost exclusively indoor "play."  I understand you're trying to go outside more often, but in the movement arts, "parkour" is pretty much synonymous with being outside.  It should be done, first and primarily, in an actual environment.  Gyms are a handy teaching tool, but there's no way to capture the feeling or the spirit of the movement without having cement under your feet and dirt under your nails.  No way to be creative without terrain to cross and a path to follow.  In a gymnastics facility you're, at best, limited to freerunning or the extreme basics of parkour.

Not to say that that's a bad thing, of course, but it's simply not the same.  Personally, and I think everyone at FLPK more or less agrees, the only problem I've seriously had with Zoic is that it preaches what it teaches as being Parkour, when that's a most only a part.  Like I said before, teaching kids to do individual vaults and jump from one point to another won't show them how to really move effectively, and the "safety" of padding can become a crutch that inhibits more than it enables in the long run.

Essentially, our point of view is that we've seen Zoic misrepresenting parkour as a discipline.  I don't want to seem all haughty and uptight or anything (I train cause it's fun, after all), but this IS still something that we all feel very strongly about, and it's important to take into consideration how your organization is percieved, especially in regard to roof-jumping, trespassing, and general lack of consideration for the fact that we're borrowing public areas.  Stuff like that effects us all when we get "banned," like at Lake Island Park.  Not saying that was your fault, but I know WE certainly didn't cause it.

JCalebM

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
None of this has addressed what i believe is the real problem at hand. The real problem is the lack of experience and understanding of your "teachers." From what i've seen, almost all of your "teachers" at zoic have extremely flawed fundamentals. Most of them seem to be kids that came into the gym, you saw that they had an athletic back ground and decided, "hey you should be a teacher because you have slightly above average athleticism." And thats not the way it works. The last time i came to your gym, I was cringing the entire time i watched. Teachers and students were jumping off boxes with a complete misunderstanding of how physics and body mechanics work, and how to apply it to their movement. They had such a lack of understanding of technique and the physics behind it that things like their rolls were, in reality, completely useless. The majority of your teachers were at a beginner to intermediate level at best and in my opinion were not fit to be teaching other beginners. Many of them struggled with basic techniques including vaults themselves, and could not thoroughly teach newcomers proper technique.

As far as being in the gym goes. Thats fine if you're a beginner or trying to learn something new. But i have found that many of your students are scared to do things outside because of the lack of control they exercise in your gym. I've heard you all talk about doing a 15 foot "precision" in the gym onto a cheese mat from a vault box and having the people in the gym try it with you, and now they think they can do a 15 foot precision, when in actuality, all your doing is a 15 foot long jump on to a big squishy mat. This is not the same as doing an actual precision on concrete or railings. Your students are learning flawed basics right from the start from a combination of incompetent "teachers" and unrealistic learning conditions.