Author Topic: Purpose Built Parkour Training Area.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Joe F.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Feed the warrior 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Purpose Built Parkour Training Area.
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
I've been combing both this forum and the net for a while now and I haven't found many Parkour specific training grounds. I realize the irony in that but hear me out. I live on a farm and have spare land. I've been toying wit the idea of turning a small area of it into a training area.

I've already considered getting a bunch of used scaffolding and such and I'm a decent carpenter. I hope piece by piece this may become a free runners paradise.The idea is to build obstacles and other various and useful practice tools. All I'm wondering is if you had a place to go where you could run, jump, roll and flow undisturbed. What would you build there? I have some ideas but if I built it I wouldn't keep it to myself so throw me some ideas of what you think would be cool. Please note that I am a college student so money is a factor.

Offline Gage H.

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Purpose Built Parkour Training Area.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
2x4's and waferboard. Im building like a mini gym in my back yard and thats all im using. I built a vault box last weekend. It was fun and didnt take long.

Never confuse what is impossible...with what hasn't been done... yet.
-Ryan Doyle

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
a good training area has vault spots, walls, rails, and a solid mix of them all...different heights, etc.

something me and my brother did was we took apart an old fence on our farm and used it to make precision and vault rails...idk if you have some old pipe fence laying around or if you can weld but thats an idea i can throw at you...

my stepdad also worked offshore, so i got him to get me about 20 of those 50 gallon drums...the plastic ones, and i used them to create vault-able obstacles...just another idea...

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 03:10:20 AM »

Offline Joe F.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
Nice link prob gonna use some of that.

It's also in my sig.

If you have any ideas that I don't, it'd be wonderful if you shared.

Offline Joe F.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
Here's one thing I'm planing to build. Just 2x4s and particle board.

Offline Zach

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
Good idea man. There's this big gulch behind my house and I think that I'll do something like that to it hmmmmmm....

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:04:37 PM »
Precision Garden - Sink a bunch of 2-3 foot long posts into the ground, roughly 4in by 4in but any perimeter size will do. Space them around at random distances and angles, make some higher, some lower, etc. Make sure you pack the dirt around them tight and they're deep enough in the ground not to wiggle. Hop from post to post and practice your balance. (For added fun, mix in some precision trainers)

Poor Man's Vault Box - I call it this because I made one yesterday for literally zero money, I scrounged the pieces from dumps and empty parking lots. Take two wooden pallets and lean them against each other at roughly a 20-30 degree angle. Nail boards to the sides to give it stability and hold it together. Nail a plywood sheet to the top to give it a surface to land/vault on. Take two more sheets of plywood and nail them to the two faces to make a flat surface. Cover with skateboard griptape or paint mixed with sand for a rough texture. (I'll upload a pic soon.)