Author Topic: Back flip prac.  (Read 872 times)

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
Back flip prac.
« on: May 02, 2010, 04:30:31 PM »
me nd my frends doing flipz at gym. if any1 haz any tipz they would b GREATLY appreciated. thnx =)
that was the first nite we prac. back flipz ever lol
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
Re: Back flip prac.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
Whoa that ven guy looks like prince a little bit
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

austink

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »
I'm no backflip expert by any means, but it seems that sometimes you lean back too early.

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
Not too bad for a first go, bud. Here are a few things that will get your back tucks flying in no time!

First, it doesn't look like you are hesitant which is good - lots of technique errors are due to natural fear of going backwards over our own head. You seem to be perfectly willing to go 100% which is a GREAT first step.

A couple of important things to maximize height, rotation, and landings:

1) A standing back tuck on flat ground will ideally take off and land in the exact same spot (caveat - if you are doing backflips off of objects or height you will need a slight LEAN, but this should not be considered until your standing backs are down). This means if you are traveling backwards at all you are either (a) leaning back or (b) throwing your head/chest back. This will cost you height - throwing a ball straight up at a constant force will yield a greater height than if you throw a ball at an arced trajectory with the same force. The maximum height of the arc will be lower, just like the height of your back tuck. 

To fix this, jump straight up on the set. Keep your head neutral (looking forward) the whole time. Make sure your arms are straight and throw all the way to the ceiling (ideally the point where your shoulders hit their "locking" point but not forced so that the shoulders are hurt). Your head should be between your arms when you get to the top of your jump. Make sure you take off from the balls of your feet (not heels) and push all the way through your toes.

Often, people will start with their arms up, pull them down, then throw them up for the jump. This is ok, except it has a tendency to make you bend forward, which invariably requires you to lean back to right yourself. This can lead to throwing the head/chest which affects height.

2) Make sure you get all of your height before you tuck for the flip. This means don't start the flip until you reach the apex of your jump. It will seem like you are waiting too long at first, but because of the physics of the move, you will actually be better off getting the height first then flipping.  All that being said, you do not want to wait so long that you are on the way back down. That's just as bad as flipping too soon.

3) The flip is initiated and controlled entirely by the tuck (for a standing back tuck/pike; for whips and lays, the technique is slightly different). When you reach the apex of the set (jump), you will pull your knees to your chest (ideally your shoulders or just wider than your head) as quickly and tightly as possible. The faster and tighter you tuck the faster your rotation will be.

The tricky part here is to make sure you pull your knees to your chest, not your chest to your knees. Doing the latter one will cause your flip to fight itself and you will rotate slow/not flip. Keep your upper body neutral - as straight as it was on the jump. Use your abs/core/ and thigh muscles to pull your knees up quickly. This will flip you.

3) The landing. You should not land in a tucked-ball, nor should you be bent over or kissing your knees/shins (you will see a lot of cheerleaders land this way).  Halfway through a back tuck you can see the ground. This allows you to find your landing and reach it with your feet. Don't let out of your tuck when you see the ground - that's too soon.  Instead, as you begin to get upright, loosen out of your tuck and reach for the ground with your feet. You should be reaching straight down to the spot you left from. If you are reaching back with your feet, you under-rotated. If you are reaching forward, you are over-rotating. Neither are great. Try to cushion your landing by bending at the knees and landing on the balls of your feet, just as you took off.

4) Hand placement. This varies, but I recomment the front of your knees, with your index finger just under your kneecap, or else pull your hands neutral by your side.  Some people grab the backs of their thighs or knees. This is ok except it tends to make people pike instead of tuck, which is a more difficult flip to rotate and tends to go slower for beginners.

All that being said, please make sure you use a spotter and mats until you have the skill 100%. While not an overly difficult skill, it is still very dangerous if you do it improperly.

Hope this helps! Train safe and best of luck!
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
  • Working Hard and Hardly Working
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
ozzi has a video on how to learn a backflip. Its on American parkour youtube videos hope that helps.

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the extremely detailed walkthrough.
Reading through it I noticed alot of things that I'm doing wrong that I didn't notice before. I was beggining to wonder why it looked like a pike haha.
I'm copy pasting your post to my itouch notes for future reference. Thanks again for the help!

I've watched uccs tutorial countless times. Better yet I get in person help from Ozzi and David(occasionaly) xp. I prefer jujimufus tutorials both written and video. But thanks anyway!

My abs are dead right now. Over the course of 2 days I pumped out ALOT of Back flips. So you guys can expect an improvement video in about a week.

Once again,Thanks everybody
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:02:07 PM by Sala »
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?