Author Topic: Foot Callus  (Read 9937 times)

Offline pkGorilla

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Foot Callus
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
(My first thread and post here  ;D)

So basically I'm trying to build up calluses on my feet for running barefoot, I've been using FiveFingers up till now but now that the summer is here I want to feel the world under my feet!

At the moment I can't run much more then a kilometer without my feet beginning to hurt and having to stop for fear of bloody feet.

Is there any quicker way to build up calluses besides actually just running gradually bigger distances?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Foot Callus
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »
Thanks for posting. I'd say "walk barefoot", but checked some other places:

Dance: Callus is good - build it by regular dancing BF on hard surfaces. Don't overshave callus - keep it soft and supple by hot baths, vaseline, bla bla bla.

Martial arts: Callus is bad - you want tough skin, but not callus. Bleh bleh bleh

Good BF advice at Runner's World Barefoot Forum...

They have an entire schedule and progression for BF running. [overkill?]

Toughen your feet by walking BF, then build to jogging in place, then short 200-400m SLOW runs on hard debris-free surface, bla bla bla... if you feel pain, take an extra day off... gradually add distance, other surfaces and speed.

Blisters are a sign of heat, friction, and/or moisture. If they're on your heels, you're heel striking [bad]. If they're on your toes/ balls of feet, you're pushing off too much. [I do].

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
Like Gregg said, just do anything barefoot, I go barefoot everywhere. I mean, not every day but for the most parts there are days where Im just barefoot everyday. Not running, no physical activities, just the daily stuff. Go on hikes, easy ones, no on hot days or hard surfaces.

Exposure is the key man...  IMO
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline pkGorilla

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »
Toughen your feet by walking BF, then build to jogging in place, then short 200-400m SLOW runs on hard debris-free surface, bla bla bla... if you feel pain, take an extra day off... gradually add distance, other surfaces and speed.

Blisters are a sign of heat, friction, and/or moisture. If they're on your heels, you're heel striking [bad]. If they're on your toes/ balls of feet, you're pushing off too much. [I do].

Yeah that's what I've been doing pretty much, I do what Ozzi does as well: barefoot as much as possible.
Funny you should mention the blisters because I actually got one one the ball of my foot from running last Sunday, what do you mean by pushing off too much? I just presumed that getting the occasional blister was part of the process of hardening the skin?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
On running form, if you're pushing back with your feet [too much] you'll get friction, and maybe blisters. Like I said, this is an area I have problems with, too. Especially on hot days when I've just finished running at the beach.

Re-read that thing from Runner's World - esp down toward the bottom... I think they said to shorten your stride and concentrate on lifting and setting feet, rather than pushing backwards.

JDD

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
I suggest running in short grass. I have found that is the best was to start barefooting.