Author Topic: barefoot training  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Gage H.

• Patas
    • View Profile
barefoot training
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
What are the benefits to barefoot training?
Say I was to go outside and practice precisions or vaults without my shoes on, what is the difference?

Never confuse what is impossible...with what hasn't been done... yet.
-Ryan Doyle

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: barefoot training
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
Going barefoot is a way of forced technique correction. When you land, for example, you should land on the balls of your foot, because that's the best way for your joints to handle it. If you land on your heel, that's bad.

So when you go barefoot, next time you land on your heel, it will hurt like hell, forcing you to go back to the correct method. That training extends to everything; precisions, running technique (running with padded shoes are bad for your feet). Lighter feet = better performance.

check this out. For further information, go back to the main page and use the Search Bar. That will give you quicker answers to redundant questions. :)

Offline Gage H.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »
Going barefoot is a way of forced technique correction. When you land, for example, you should land on the balls of your foot, because that's the best way for your joints to handle it. If you land on your heel, that's bad.

So when you go barefoot, next time you land on your heel, it will hurt like hell, forcing you to go back to the correct method. That training extends to everything; precisions, running technique (running with padded shoes are bad for your feet). Lighter feet = better performance.

check this out. For further information, go back to the main page and use the Search Bar. That will give you quicker answers to redundant questions. :)
Sorry bout the repost, i tried the search bar and my computer was just being retarded and wouldnt load the results.

-Ryan Doyle

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »
Sorry bout the repost, i tried the search bar and my computer was just being retarded and wouldnt load the results.

Could be because it will only search for results in the category you're currently in; hence why I said "go back to the main page". Maybe.

Offline Gage H.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »
Could be because it will only search for results in the category you're currently in; hence why I said "go back to the main page". Maybe.
probably, another question: would it be better to train on wet grass at first?
(its about to rain and I want to go train barefoot haha

-Ryan Doyle

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »
probably, another question: would it be better to train on wet grass at first?
(its about to rain and I want to go train barefoot haha

You try that ;) don't blame me when your feet freeze up.

Here's the deal:

Parkour is supposed to be movement that is natural to the human body. So basically, keeping your hands and feet bare, and training anything will improve you. You don't even have to work on "vaults". Using trial and error, those moves can come to you automatically if you are dedicated. That's why we love barefoot training.

Offline Gage H.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
You try that ;) don't blame me when your feet freeze up.

Here's the deal:

Parkour is supposed to be movement that is natural to the human body. So basically, keeping your hands and feet bare, and training anything will improve you. You don't even have to work on "vaults". Using trial and error, those moves can come to you automatically if you are dedicated. That's why we love barefoot training.
That's why i like parkour because it seems so much better to move with the environment than around it.

-Ryan Doyle

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »
I am SO totally going without shoes and gloves from now on.

Besides, I can use one pair of feet continually without paying $75 for shoes each three months!

So asides from that: How do I keep my hands and feet from getting torn up on concrete/brick/ROCKS?
Also: Should I just practice running barefoot?
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
So asides from that: How do I keep my hands and feet from getting torn up on concrete/brick/ROCKS?
Also: Should I just practice running barefoot?

#1: Build calluses. Unless you really go crazy on stuff, your hands won't get TORN UP as you think they will. However, wall
      climbing can take a toll on your hands, but training on your own pace will be enough to let them toughen up.

#2: Go run. Try with shoes, then try without. Tell yourself which one feels better. First time I did that, I run a mile with
      shoes, then ran back home without. I almost fell from how fast I could go without them.
      After you get used your foot movement, running with padded shoes should become easier, faster, and more efficient.

Offline Marquiz Xavier Teniente

• Patas
  • As the spirit wanes, the form appears.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
Training barefoot changes the dynamic of your workout. It forces you to concentrate on your technique. If your movement isn't totally delicate you will hurt your poor feetsies. I love training barefoot myself but my achilles can only take so much direct tension.

Try not to think of things so one dimensionally. There's no reason you can't take off your shoes for a bit while training. Think of it as an air bath. For your feet.
"In 1953-1954 we dérived for three or four months straight. That’s the extreme limit. It’s a miracle it didn’t kill us."
—Ivan Chtcheglov