Author Topic: Burning Nerve Pain in Trapezius Muscle  (Read 15500 times)

Offline Nathaniel Kauffman

• Patas
  • Chaotic
    • View Profile
Burning Nerve Pain in Trapezius Muscle
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »
Subject says most of it.  Earlier in week I started to experience a slight burning pain in the scapular region of my back, when doing handstands or hanging upside down from a bar then doing shrugs(thus working the traps).  I went to chiropractor on...Wednesday, he said it was a pinched nerve, and told me to stretch it(oh, it's my right side by the way) by holding on to side of chair with my right hand, then leaning to the left.  I have done this, and no relief whatsoever.  It now burns intensely when I do handstands/planches, whenever I do any sort of scapular stabilization whatsoever.  From what I have read, in order to stretch the lower/mid trapezius muscles, you have to stretch pretty much everything, lats, rhomboids,shoulders, in order to get it to loosen up.  I have also started taken Ibuprofen to relieve any inflammation.

Thanks in advance, I would really like to get past this.  I have experienced other injuries many times before(bursitis, tendinitis, etc), but this nerve pain...it is very odd, and I am ignorant of what exactly is causing it/how to fix it.
*Yawns*

Offline Dr.M

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Global Fitness, LLC
Re: Burning Nerve Pain in Trapezius Muscle
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »
Its sounds like you are on the right track, but I would go have a second opinion from a PT or chiro to see if there are any vertebrae out of alignment that could be resulting in a pinched nerve. A picture of the location would be helpful in determining the muscles that could be associated with the nerve that may be the culprit. If you can take a picture of your back with your arms resting in the normal postion, and then take a picture with you shoulder blades squeezed together in the middle of your back. Sometimes you can see rotations if the body is positioned correctly.

In my experience, muscles in the back typically do not impinge on nerves and cause nerve pain. More often you have an alignment issue that impinges on the nerve, or the alignment issues results in a change in muscle position and then impinges on the nerve. Its not likely that the nerve is damaged, more likely to be impinged, but nerves do not like to be stressed and do not recover the same way that muscles and joints do. I would try to stay on the more conservative side of treatment with rest until you are able to get more information from a professional.

I think that stretching is a good thing, but useless if its not the right muscles or if the muscles are not the cause. I would recommend icing the area to work on speeding blood flow to the nerves and surrounding tissues to increase oxygen and nutrient delivery. I posted on the injury forum a while ago under "Best Icing Method".

Hope this is helpful.
Dr.M
Global Fitness, LLC

• Patas
  • Chaotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 09:33:11 AM »
Thank you, will try icing.  Will post in again at end of weekend, to see if still getting sensation from handstands.

Thing is, my chiro would've known if my vertebrae was out of alignment though.(At least I would assume so, because he is a chiropractor)  My hips are slightly off(left hip is 3/8 inch higher than right when laying face down), but I doubt that is related to it.  Will send pic in too if able.
*Yawns*

• Patas
  • Chaotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »
I went to a different Chiro(never hurts to get a second opinion) and he said that I tore the tendon/muscle....think he said T3?  Either way, he said I can't do pretty much any upper body work whatsoever for a month.  Can't stretch either he said, equivalent of tearing a scab off of a wound.  Supposed to be icing/ibuprofen.  Any other ways to speed up recovery?  There is the Beast Coast jam at the end of May, I want to be in tip-top shape for that.
*Yawns*

Offline Dr.M

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Global Fitness, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Cardio and exercising everything around the area (grip strength, legs, core (hold only, no motion)). This will allow for increases in blood flow overall that will assist with increased delivery of oxygen and nutrients to speed healing. I would ask you chiro about other possible ways beyond rest to speed healing. Try to have him approach it from the stand point of dealing with an athlete. Athletes are almost never told to just stop for a month. That would be insane and devastating to their careers. Why should non-pro or elite athletes be treated any differently.
Dr.M
Global Fitness, LLC

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
how are you finding these chiros?

*sigh*

Seriously, the guy said to stretch a nerve since it was a nerve pain?  I'm sorry, but that sounds like incompetence.  Anyway, chances are, in my experience based on the location stated.  that it is a Rib out of alignment.  It's very fixable and very easy to fix.  Anyway, if it is muscular (which it also could be, not saying it IS a muscle)  And T3 is a bone, not a muscle... and anything that would take that long would probably be ligament and not muscle since muscles heal so quickly...

Again, how are you finding your chiros?  Not saying they are bad, since I don't know, I haven't examined you.  But I'd suggest getting some research in to find a skilled chiro.  Like any profession, not all professionals are equally skilled.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

• Patas
  • Chaotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
Well, first chiro is one I go to on monthly basis because it is free(I have medical assistance for disability)

The other one is one I used to go to, but have to spend 20$ copay on insurance.

The latter has much nicer facilities, ultrasound, massage, etc.  And has 3 chiropractors, who have been very reliable in past when I had bursitis/tendinitis. 

And I wasn't sure of what he said, I thought he said T3, but obviously I am wrong.  I get the burning pain during any sort of planche/handstand/skin-the-cats.  So when I use scapular stabilization, pain occurs.  He said anything that involves my hands above my shoulders would not be good, and I do pure BW exercises, so chinups, handstand pushups...everything I do upperbody involves stabilizing the shoulder area.  I am going back in next week, I have occasional burning pain in the area during school.  I will be going back in to the 'good' chiro this coming week, ultrasound plus electric diode things on the area again.
*Yawns*

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »
Deep tissue massage and heat to the back should help

Then after inflammation subsides go from there with strengthening.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book