Author Topic: Parkour Expository Essay  (Read 1127 times)

WoodlandGhillie

Parkour Expository Essay
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
Doesn't reflect my views entirely, it's meant for a newbie to not try and be Superman and break both legs.
The video'll come soon, but this is due tomorrow so here goes (remember, this was written from10-11pm... Im a little tired from 4hrs training earlier today!):

Parkour: A Progressive Discipline of The Motion Arts

'Motion Arts' is a term coined by Gabriel Arnold, the writer of RISE, (The first parkour-related fiction book.)  To be a motion art, it must be non-competitive and use human movement.  Such examples would be things like dance, freerunning, capoeira, tricking, method naturelle, and parkour, the discipline that will be focused on in this essay.

Parkour is still a fairly young art, a bit older than 50 years.  As such, the definition and philosophy is argued as to what it truly is. My definition of parkour is 'A discipline in which traceurs, the parkour practitioners, condition their bodies to overcome physical & mental obstacels in their lives.' American Parkour.com defines it as 'Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.'

Parkour is not crazy stunts.  It is not about looking cool or showing off.  Flips are used in very rare situations. Most traceurs use them to increase their balance, technique, and proprioception.  Proprioception is the sense of knowing where your limbs are in any space, (Such as being upside down in a flip, you'll know when to land.) Parkour focuses on progression, progression, progression.  It is important to be as safe as possible, progressing from movement to movement. If you can perform a and b, then you can add a and b to get used to movement c. Progression is very closely related to fear. They go hand in hand, defining each other. Fear is what holds you back from doing a move you cannot do.  Progression is a way to get past these fears.

Philosophy is a major part of parkour.  The movements that parkour uses are 'empty' without reason, without definition and use. Some of problems that arise within the philosophy is the differences between freerunning and parkour.  The easist way to see the disagreement is do a flip and call it parkour.  Others WILL flip.  The generally accepted philosophy of parkour is 'effecient from A to B,' and freerunning is 'expression.'  The differences is evident in very RISE.  In it, 'PKFR' is the most practiced sport. One of the characters has left the 'PKFR' world as a purist, training only Parkour as a discipline.

To summarize: Parkour is movement with reason and purpose. It is progressive and as safe as how you practice it. The philosophy gives the movement it's purpose.  Without the philosophy, you have just movement, just competition.

Train safely and learn more at AmericanParkour.com

Offline John -Brandnew- Mathews

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour Expository Essay
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »
I liked it, I thought it was very general public friendly and easy to understand.

Might wana edit this sentence though: "The differences is evident in very RISE" haha
"Pain is just weakness leaving the body"

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »
Thanks. I wrote it a bit late, so there are going to be quite a few errors...

Offline Evembee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
To write a long essay on one topic is little bit difficult for a normal writer but it is very easy for an expert writer. If you also looking for an expert who helps you must choose after read reviews about that writer or website, you can use this site https://edureviewer.com/services/studybay-com-review/ for reading reviews. Here you get top sites and complete reviews about those sites, I hope after reading reviews you will definitely get a great writer service.

Offline PatriciaJ

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
At Motion Arts, our specialty approach to fitness and rehabilitation is to evaluate each client as an entire person.The zipjob resume review seems like a reputable, perfect service for your resume writing. MotionArt's mission is to share the art of dance and the joy of movement with people of all ages and abilities.