Author Topic: What should a roll feel like?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline dumbasscus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
What should a roll feel like?
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
I've been practicing the roll for about three months, but I still think there is something wrong with what I'm doing. I've started to roll sideways, exitting at a 90 degree angle because of my hip bone. I've also figured out how to tuck in my left knee to keep it from bumping into the ground. Now, every once in a while I hit my butt on the ground. I also feel a bit of pain in the sides of my hips-- in the "iliac crest" area. Maybe it's because I try to twitch sideways to get myself to stand up after a roll. Anyways, for anyone who can roll on cement with no pain, what does your roll feel like? Do you use your tense a little to get yourelf off the ground, or do you tuck "limply" in a more relaxed way?

Offline Preston Strickland

• Guenons
  • Artemiscloud
    • View Profile
Re: What should a roll feel like?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:19 PM »
I don't really change. I'm not limp or too tense. I just roll. I do it like Levi show us in a video. I'll look for it in a little bit. I exit my roll pretty much forward (maybe 5 degrees to the left). Also check out HIPK they have many informative videos on many subjects like this, and they break it down for ya.
movement is to live, so move a lot!  "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" - Carl Sagan

Offline mine

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: What should a roll feel like?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:32 AM »
I've used to do it like Levi shows, sideway's, not from above the shoulder. Now, for how it should feel, I assure you you don't feel any pain. That's what I do when I achieve a perfect roll: drop down with much momentum, do a 90 deggree (or about so) bend, tending while bend to move a bit forward on my feet, through my body with legs as much forward and parallel to the ground I can and keep my body... like in the middle of a goot precision, tensed, with my arms locked. I first touch the ground with my hands a bit lefter than in the middle, and unlock them a bit, depending to the weight. Now, I try not to spend time on them, but just immediately and as powerfully I can throw them pushing the ground left. I can't tell how the roll's gone across the back, because it's done extremely fast. I just know it begins at the inner side of the torso, where the muscles are tensed, and not at the very sides. It's also much more curvy than diagonall, and spent the most time at scapula area. The last thing I hit on my back is the gluteus maximus but don't really feel it. The most forward momentum stops at the muscles under the left knee. This is where you can easily bang up your knee, you must be careful. As for how you feel, you feel like you "slip" or "flying" across your back on the floor, a strange feeling. You just don't feel anything at your back afterwards. Like if it just recoiled the floor, totally stiff. The whole roll lasts about 1-1,5 second. However, I've not really got much rolls like this. To get used to the idea, start some moquette or something such soft. Just jump across the floor with the hands to be the first to touch it, like I described. When you stop fear, try it on concrete. Remember: Don't fear, and try to move with timing and tense across all your body. That all! I hope I helped!  :) ;) :)