Author Topic: Why is the Word Trace such a problem?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the Word Trace such a problem?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »
^
I just say free running because I'm not really always doing the most efficient thing, even if I'm training for parkour...

also, who gives a rats ass about English skills when you should be caring more about your form and physical skill...

Think of parkour as "a discipline that uses practical movements to overcome obstacles."  I think it is more encompassing and flexible that way.  So you won't say, "oh well I'm not doing this in really in efficiency so it is free running," when you're still doing parkour.

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »
i agree with dylan go out and train. Glad you guys are smart to the point where you can break down a word's meaning, but C'MON SON GTFOHWTBS  and go train
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 07:54:03 AM »
For those who don't care - if we starting using "ExtremeRoofJumping" instead of "trace" then would you care?   ;)  Point being, you should care to some degree on how the discipline is being represented.  Maybe in this case its acceptable so you can say "who cares?" but I hope people aren't using that comeback for every single debate...
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »
^
I just say free running because I'm not really always doing the most efficient thing, even if I'm training for parkour...

also, who gives a rats ass about English skills when you should be caring more about your form and physical skill...
It's that attitude that scares me away from the internet at points.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"

Offline swap01

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »
okay, I agree with the two above posts. I would be mad if we called it ExtremeRoofJumping because it wouldn't be portraying Parkour the right way. Let me rephrase myself: Who cares what we call it as long as it represents Parkour in an appropriate, acceptable matter.

English skills are really important in today's world. U gotta be awesome to make your living from only being fit. like NFL guys survive like 3 years, make 20 million, and are done. but then what do u do with the rest of ur life? You'll want to be working a little bit.

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
Let's remember that Parkour was originally spelled 'parcours' or something like that. David changed the 'c' to a 'k' to make it more aggressive and dropped the 's' because it was inefficient. Thus, I don't really see why we shouldn't use the term "tracing" if it makes it more efficient.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
Let's remember that Parkour was originally spelled 'parcours' or something like that. David changed the 'c' to a 'k' to make it more aggressive and dropped the 's' because it was inefficient. Thus, I don't really see why we shouldn't use the term "tracing" if it makes it more efficient.

I see what you're saying, but we aren't creating anything new [or defining or developing or naming or whatever (that's a different argument)]. David Belle started from scratch and named things how he chose. There wasn't a name for what David did, so he named it. We, however, are messing with something that has already been created. There already *is* a way to refer to what we do and what we're called, so I don't see a need to "create" a new way.

Btw, parcours refers to obstacle courses [usually developed for military training]. David probably used it because it stood for something similar to [...but it still wasn't exactly...] what he was doing. He then developed "parkour" for exactly what he was doing and exactly what we do today.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:51:01 PM by Andy Keller »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
I see what you're saying, but we aren't creating anything new [or defining or developing or naming or whatever (that's a different argument)]. David Belle started from scratch and named things how he chose. There wasn't a name for what David did, so he named it. We, however, are messing with something that has already been created. There already *is* a way to refer to what we do and what we're called, so I don't see a need to "create" a new way.

Btw, parcours refers to obstacle courses [usually developed for military training]. David probably used it because it stood for something similar to [...but it still wasn't exactly...] what he was doing. He then developed "parkour" for exactly what he was doing and exactly what we do today.
I think we should close this thread down for good. I've decided that no matter how we look at this, we will always have two warring factions. To trace or to train parkour, it's not a question, it's an opinion. So just end it before I commit sepuku and delete the thread itself. Instead leave it in peace to be dug up by traceurs to come and seen as an unending question.

Also:
English skills are really important in today's world. U gotta be awesome to make your living from only being fit. like NFL guys survive like 3 years, make 20 million, and are done. but then what do u do with the rest of ur life? You'll want to be working a little bit.
You talk about how important English is, and yet you abuse it like a junkie does his wife.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"