Author Topic: Why is the Word Trace such a problem?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
Why is the Word Trace such a problem?
« on: March 25, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
I'm sure I wasn't the first to use it as the verb form of pakour, but I do use it more often than others. I haven't had complaints lately, but I have heard them. So why is it we discriminate against it so? It's not like I use it everytime, only when it flows better with the sentence, and use traceurs are all about flow.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"

Offline Sai Chikine

• Patas
  • Traceur for himself
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the Word Trace such a problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
because 'traceur' is french, which has different rules than english. You cannot just make it into a verb. Besides "I was out practicing/doing parkour" sounds better than "I was out tracing"
MYCARMY 2011 - OVERLORD OF CALAMITY

"I'm about to give you some f#cking shit ass shit shit, so shit and listen, shit." - Kyle

'What if children in the future were encouraged to keep on playing in playgrounds as they got older, instead of having to learn to "grow up?"' - .Nico

Offline Talib Shively

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »
Why not?  People make verbs and nouns out of words from other languages, what makes French so different?  For example, a purveyor is a supplier of food, and purvey means to furnish or supply (also, that comes from Norman French).  Traceur is a person who practices parkour, so trace could mean to practice parkour.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »
Thats just how it is.
Deal.

"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
It is because trace is already a word in English.  Also, they're still using it wrong.  Trace is an transitive verb; it needs a direct object.  You don't trace.  You trace something.  So if you use it as a intransitive verb it seems out of place and unnatural (which it should, they're using it wrong).

It doesn't make any since to make a special case for parkour either.  In gymnastics you don't gymnastic.  In martial arts you don't martial art.  This whole thing is just silly.  There's no need to confuse the language by adding an intransitive application to a transitive verb (which is an absolute nono).

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
It is because trace is already a word in English.  Also, they're still using it wrong.  Trace is an transitive verb; it needs a direct object.  You don't trace.  You trace something.  So if you use it as a intransitive verb it seems out of place and unnatural (which it should, they're using it wrong).

It doesn't make any since to make a special case for parkour either.  In gymnastics you don't gymnastic.  In martial arts you don't martial art.  This whole thing is just silly.  There's no need to confuse the language by adding an intransitive application to a transitive verb (which is an absolute nono).

*grammar-Nazi applaudation*

Offline Talib Shively

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
Trace does have an intransitive meaning though, which is "to follow a course, trail, etc.; make one's way."  So saying that I am tracing with regards to parkour is actually a correct usage of the word.  Of course, that would just mean that the similarities to traceur and trace are just a coincidence.  Funny how that can happen, huh?  ;D

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »
Trace does have an intransitive meaning though, which is "to follow a course, trail, etc.; make one's way."  So saying that I am tracing with regards to parkour is actually a correct usage of the word.  Of course, that would just mean that the similarities to traceur and trace are just a coincidence.  Funny how that can happen, huh?  ;D

Freakin false cognates screwing everything up!

Btw,
"I do parkour."
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
is it really that much of a problem to say 1 extra word?

"I'm parkouring" ( X )
"I'm doing parkour" ( ✓ )

Its one word... -_-
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
I think it should also be noted that Les Traceurs Borrowed their name from the english tracer and the U was added later. So Trace in that sense might be a very good word for verbing (  :P )  parkour, on the other hand that was an individual team name and never intended to be a name for all practitioner of the discipline and members of Les traceurs have expressed their dismay at its general adoption. So perhaps we should stop calling ourselves traceurs and then trace might seem a less logical verb for practicing parkour. Or maybe we could all stop being such pedantic dorks about parkouring.

I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
freerunning is such a great verb.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:32:21 AM »
Hm, so many viewpoints on it. Besides, I didn't say I use it to replace "doing parkour," I just use it when it feels like it's need in the sentence. Also, the reason I thought it was a better verb than the nonexistent "parkouring," is because traceur translates to tracer. I tracer, would trace. Although, I guess in the same respect, we could just say we tracue.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 03:55:48 AM »

Well that's lame.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:49 AM »
The English language is famous for borrowing words from many languages (sometimes multiple times) and changing the meanings. Almost all words have been borrowed from another group or language at some point.

I'm quite happy with using the words "training" and "moving" to describe parkour and movement respectively.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:22 AM »
Trace as a verb just sounds lame IMO.  I won't be using it.  It'll never come across right to anyone who isn't already intimately familiar with parkour and the use of that word as a verb for practicing parkour, which just leads to more communication problems.  Also, I don't want something thats a strange esoteric underground description, I want something easily identifiable and recognizable so I can share with others.

If anything, I could see it used in a different and specific context, e.g. instead of using it to describe training/practicing/doing parkour in general, use it to describe a path or flow.  So instead of "I'm going to go trace" its "I'm going to go train/practice/do parkour, and in my training I practice tracing a line from that bench to that tree."  Or "Hey man try this run - trace a path from this bench, over that rail, and up to that spot."  ???
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »
Hm, so many viewpoints on it. Besides, I didn't say I use it to replace "doing parkour," I just use it when it feels like it's need in the sentence. Also, the reason I thought it was a better verb than the nonexistent "parkouring," is because traceur translates to tracer. I tracer, would trace. Although, I guess in the same respect, we could just say we tracue.

Traceur's translation to "tracer" is not referring to a person who traces, however. It's referring to a radioactive atom used in chemistry.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
call it what you want, labels are used to understand common ideas. they can however hold you back in certain ways, take for instance this thread...

it doesnt matter what you call it, just as long as the passion and dedication is there (in the right ways that is).

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline swap01

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »
Guys, guys ,guys.
1.) All you need is love :)
and 2.) WHO CARES?

Offline Dan Shoupe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 07:39:08 AM »
I second what swap01 said

But the word traceur comes from the verb tracer, or to trace, which is definitely transitive.
Difficulty is only a lack of familiarity with something. Become acquainted with what is difficult and it will cease to be so.

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
freerunning is such a great verb.
^
I just say free running because I'm not really always doing the most efficient thing, even if I'm training for parkour...

also, who gives a rats ass about English skills when you should be caring more about your form and physical skill...
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.