Author Topic: Jay's Journal of what not to do (critiques and blatant mockery welcome)  (Read 48713 times)

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Jay's Journal of what not to do (critiques and blatant mockery welcome)
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
I forgot about the poison ivy on my leg.  Probably not the most intelligent act to have the bar rubbing against it.

Worth it.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2013, 05:38:25 AM »
Sunday 6-7-13

Rode 4.5-5 miles at a higher intensity than normal.
My right knee started to hurt.  I need robotic joints.
Who is Jaxx's surgeon?

Monday 6-8-13
I said f#ck the rash, I'm going all out.  Well I didn't go ALL out but at about 80%

I did a modified version of this guy:  http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/MMA-HIIT-Workout-Advanced-HIIT-for-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Training/ca/

I only did one set.  waited about 30 seconds between exercises and went for 15 reps instead of time.
The turks I only did 3 each side.  They're a bit time consuming.

My fat body is not used to that much plyometrics.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
Did the previously mentioned workout again last Friday I'm guessing.

Saturday 7-13-13
6 miles on the bike.  I went inside to get oil for the bike and realized the humidity f#cked me up.
felt like shit for hours afterwards.

Wednesday 7-17-13
Bench 135lbs 12,12,12
Flies 20lbs 12,12,12
bent over row 35lbs 12,12,12
abs 25,15, 25

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
Thorsday  7-18-13

3-4 mile rough road bike ride
weighted stadium walks  75lbs  about 200-250 steps
weighted stadium squat jumps 20lbs, 30 terrible, painful, will shattering jumps
Squats 205lbs 5,8
calf raises 70lbs 25,25

I can't believe I used to do stadium shit with someone hanging on my back.  f#ck I'd die now.

The poison ivy cleared up from my forehead so I can train like a warrior again.  The ivy is still on my left arm but that's something I feel comfortable ignoring for the purpose of workouts.

1.5 months from now is my next physical test.  I should have switched gears at the end of last month to start prepping for that.
Now is better than later.

I'm good for my cardio test.
I need to start sprint training and do more agility training for that portion.
I always do pretty well on the strength portion of the test but I want to get used to those heavier weights better this time.
The tests are the only times I push that amount of weight and it's always a shock to my body.
Flexibility...I've been slacking.
Muscle endurance. I need a lot of work.  I decided to switch from sit ups to the plank.  I think my goal is 3 minutes.  and isometric hold for 2 seconds I consider 1 rep so 200 seconds. A little over 3 minutes.  My push ups are probably shitty too.

Much to work on.  Lest I lost some weight so everything will be slightly easier.  Maybe I can ingest a tape worm and lose 10lbs before the test!  j/k j/k

It's also good to see people using the training log section again.  For a while I was the only one posting.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Friday 7-19-13
Arm Curls                  30x10,10 20x10,10
Triceps Extensions    30x10,10,10,10
Clean n Press            60x10,10
Lateral Raise             20x10,6
Heavy Push Press     135x6
Plank                         90sec,90
Side Plank                 45/45, 45/45
1 arm Farmer carry    50lbsx 1 lap, 1
Popeye                      30lbs toward

I should have done this Saturday.  I gassed really quick because I was still recovering from Thursday.

Tuesday 7-23-13
Push ups                30,11  weak sauce
Squats                    155x10x9
Triceps Extensions  30x10,10
Calf Raises              90x20,30
Incline Bench           135x10, 115x10
Lunges                     40x10,10
Heavy Push Press    115x9,8
Neck                         x10,10  (yes,no,I don't know)
Good Morning           60x10,10

Friday 7-26-13
Plank                  90sec,66
Side Plank           50/50, 47/45
Hvy upright Row  90x8,6
Ab Vacuum          40sec,40
1h farmer carry   65x2lap,2
Arm Curl              35x10,4, 20x10
Bent over Row    35x10,10
Popeye                25x toward,away

Today's workout didn't push my cardio too much or my legs at all really.
I'll do the cardio workout tomorrow.

I need to adjust the loads a bit on both splits for better muscle balance.

I was going to do dead lift as well but my forearms wouldn't have been up to the task.
I think I'll do the planks first, then dead lift then everything else next time.

My anaerobic cardio has gone to shit and it's annoying.  f#ck you evil 3 leaved plant.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
Saturday 7-27-13
Did a runner's warm up which was:
skips
butt kicks
30 second or so jog
backwards jog
side shuffle
high knees
carioca

I discovered on the jog and a low level attempt at the t test that my knee is still too jacked.
yeah I can squat hundreds of pounds no problem but the second I try jogging, running, or sprinting my knee feels like it's about to go out.

I'll do my best to continue to do the warm ups but it looks like I'm dropping anaerobic cardio/agility from my test again.

I ended the suck day with a 2 mile bike ride which I could barely finish the last half.  Stupid knee.
I also need to get my bike to a shop.  It's done well for the past decade but I need a pro to get it back up to 100%.

Monday 7-29-13
So my plan for the workouts this week was to reduce the weight and increase reps and sets.
I managed to increase the reps but was still too dead to even begin the 3rd set.

I'm thinking new plan: bw exercises with the exception of a few power lifts.

Push ups              35,22
Squats                  185x10,10
Tricep Ext              20x15,15
Calf Raises            90x25,25
Incline Bench         135x15,115x15
Lunges                  40x15,15
Hvy Push Press     115x9,8
Neck                      10,10
Gd Morning            90x10,110x8

I split this workout into mini sets.  Selecting 2-3 exercises and doing those circuit style until I did two sets.

My core does feel stronger already from this new routine.
This might just be a thing where I have to keep doing what I'm doing until my anaerobic cardiovascular system doesn't suck anymore.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
I hurt my left knee last Saturday the 3rd.  Today is the first day I've worked out since.

The knee really isn't better but doesn't hurt to do things now so I went for it.

Plank                    94sec, 67sec
Side Plank            54/52sec,  20/20sec   the dead lifts took their toll on the planks
Hvy Upright Row  90lb x8,8,7
Ab Vacuum            45,45
1 hnd Frm Carry    65lbs,65lbs  I didn't feel like dragging this to the garage so i walked back and forth in the basement.
Hammer curl          20lbs x15,15
Dead lift Each set 1 rep 205, 255, 305, 335, 305, 275, 245, 225

Seems 335 is my current max.  I barely made it up before my grip gave out.  The next two sets I almost dropped the bar too.  Actually one of them I did drop it but it was close enough to the ground to not matter.

My last post is wrong.
My cardio isn't that horrible.  My muscle endurance is also terrible and that is what's killing it.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
Friday

Biked 10 miles.  New best

Sunday

I decided to warm up my legs a little before biking.  I discovered I can run again.  Apparently the tournament injury a few weeks ago put my knee back to where it is supposed to go, or at least mostly supposed to go.

I did a basic 'sprinters' warm up.  Both knees were mildly sore later that day.

If things continue in a positive direction, the agility and anaerobic cardio portion of the Test will be back on for next month.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
Did 8 laps on a small to medium bmx course.  It was a lot of fun.  It required far more anaerobic cardiovascular activity than I anticipated.
Between the workout and the sun I'm quite fatigued.

Offline James Mellen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • make your own path, be like water
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
You REALLY need to start eating right, working out does nothing without the proper diet. my advice for what to eat, keep up eating the fruits, eat more vegetables. CUT ALL : Sugar, Alcohol, Preservatives for a start. Also, drink only water. As for working out, you can really forget about weight lifting intill later, your best bet is all bodyweight training. a good example would be to look at Insanity for help ( you don't have to buy it, just see the type of exercises, HIIT ). A good goal plan would be to set physical challenges for yourself, like a muscle up, 100 consecutive push ups, one legged pistol squat, ect.
Really good sources of Info would be to Youtube Elliott Hulse, hes a strength coach that's also a lot of other things :) you'll see lol
if you really wanted to, you can just do all the WOD at this site, there pretty affective. but as I said, diet is THEE most important  ;D
people are too mental, BE yourself, BE who your heart wants you to be. become more intune with your body and dont get too mental.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Reply to James   I have a feeling you posted that after reading, what like one of my posts?
I already do almost everything you suggested.
One thing I'll never cut is alcohol.

Back to my regular post.
I've been going through a lot of stressful things the last 3-4 weeks.  I don't think my PT test this Sunday will be stellar.
Sounds like an an excuse.  However the difference between negative factors and excuses is that excuses are not part of the cause for lack of performance. 

I'd go into detail but this is my workout journal not my bitch journal.

My knee seems better so I'll be doing the sprinting portion.  I really don't think I'll have a good time.

I wasn't planning on doing anything before the test but I did 2 miles on the bike last night.  Working out:  the one good way I deal with stress.

I need to take it to the shop.  Poor thing is old and a bit worn out, especially from all the miles I've put on it this year.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
Got really really drunk Saturday so I had to post pone the test till next Sunday.

I don't know why but my quads were incredibly fatigued and sore from Saturday too.  I have no idea what's up with that.

It's really hard to keep my head in the game.  Too many things going on right now.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2013, 05:07:26 AM »
The long awaited testing day.     CTR

Time:  1000
Temp: 82
Wind: SW 16mph    Except for biking, perfect weather!  I'd enjoy 0 wind for the bike ride.
Humidity: 49%

Weight: 225

Flexibility, Anaerobic cardio, Aerobic cardio, Muscle strength, Muscle endurance.

Flexibility
Left back reach:
Right back reach:
Sit n Reach:
Horizontal splits:
Left splits:
Right splits:

Anaerobic Cardio
100m Sprint:  13:85   New Best
T Test  :    12:15

Aerobic Cardio
2 mile bike ride:  09:40  New Best

Muscle Strength
Clean n Press(150):  150
Squat(338):
Dead lift(450):

Muscle Endurance
Push ups:  51
Plank: 65 seconds

compared to two years ago:
I've lost 6bs
dropped bmr by 5%
gained 2-4 lbs of muscle
improved my dead lift by over 30lbs

of course I was doing really well this time 2 years ago. In between these two times have been shit.

Scrolling through my workouts over the years.  I actually do a lot more lifting than I thought.

Need moar calisthenics and cardio!

Which is odd because I way prefer calisthenics too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:28:43 AM by jay_22_15 »

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
Looks like I've missed posting a few work outs.

Friday 20 Sept 2013
3-4 pull ups
5 negative pull ups

Saturday 21 Sept 2013
.5 mile jog with the same old problem
around 5 sprints, working mainly on technique.  My starts have improved a bit.

Monday 09 Sept 2013
Iso squats 60s,60s,65s
planks 60,65,70
later in the day a 2+ mile bike ride

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
Today's workout wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be

Wednesday 25 Sept

pull ups, chin ups.  pretty much the same thing.  I don't know which is which so I'm going to call pull ups with palm away.

Negative Pull ups:5,5
Negative Chin ups: 5,3 (chin ups area easier for me but after doing these 15 times I was too tired for the last two)
Overhead squat 95x6, 75x10,10
Dead lift:  205x6, 225x6,3

Only 3 exercises but a rather complete and fatiguing workout.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »
pull ups, chin ups.  pretty much the same thing.  I don't know which is which so I'm going to call pull ups with palm away.
Yep, palms away are pull ups and the palms toward yourself are the easier chin ups.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
Thanks Nick!

Monday 30 Sept

I was too sore to workout Friday and I helped someone move and drink cheap whiskey so no workout until monday. 

Today's workout kinda looks like a cluster f#ck of things but it can be broken down into 3 categories.

1. martial drills
2. aerobics
3. calisthenics

Front kicks and crescent kicks:  didn't count them, not that many
front & back rolls from kneeling
side rolls from kneeling
6 step 3/3, 5/5   the #/# means counter and clockwise.
hip escapes

Jumping jacks 100
Jump rope 200,100

Plank 60, 60
Hindu push ups 15,10
Hindu Squats 25,20

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »
My right knee started to hurt.  I need robotic joints.
Who is Jaxx's surgeon?

If that were possible you'd be doing inhuman performance, then what reason would there be to improve? However I did get a good chuckle out that quote, the latter part I mean. I think you've made great progress since you've started, and I think you'll do twice as well two years from now.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2013, 04:50:16 AM »
Thank you.    I mean just a replacement of the joint and of course ligaments and and any hosed tendons but not the muscle.   If however it was more robotic.  I'd still have parts of the core and upper body to improve.

Lets say the cybernetics took over so my strength, flexibility and everything else was static.  I'd still practice movement exercises  but I'd focus more on developing my mind at that point.  I endeavor to improve for the sake of improving, not so much for the results.  Results are just my reward for the effort.

Wednesday 2 Oct

Dead lift              205x6, 6
 lat pull down:    145x5/5,5/5
Over head squat: 65x10, 10, 10
1h farmer carry    40x2/2, 2/2, 2/2           

That whole workout felt a bit off.  Everything was harder, my forearms gassed immediately.  I was a bit sleep deprived but that usually isn't a big factor outside of motivation.
My life is a bit sorted out so I'm back at a manageable level of stress.   Maybe it was just a bad day, they do happen.

Friday 4 Oct

Did this workout.  I have to admit I'm not used to plyo movement.  It always happens leading up to the pt test.

I did 25 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest.  I'm not at a level for 2:1 yet.   Turkish I used 20 lbs.  35 was a bit too much.

Saturday 5 Oct
Near the end of our party I rolled with a guy.  He won via me not intelligently defending well enough.   It was a great back and forth battle.

After Sat and Fri my back is toast.  It's Monday morning and it's still so sore.  IF I workout today I'tll be only limbs, need to keep the core out of it. 

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »
I swear I've been doing stuff....actually I still have last Wednesday's on my phone.  just a min.

Wednesday 16 Oct 2013
Dead lift: 180x10, 225x6, 245x4  (I accidentally based this off my weight percentage instead of 1rm.)  Tomorrow will be along the lines of 265
Pull up 5, 4 negatives
Chin up 5, 5 negatives
Overhead squat:  95x4, 85x10,6, 90x10 (I was having a problem with form early on.  Between having a guy record me and kinesthetic feel I figured out my grip was too far apart.  I should easily do 95lbs now.  Something like knowing grip is too wide should be obvious...  I'm just a dunce.

1hand farmer carry:  60x 2/2, 2/2, 1/2  My forearms were too gassed to hold the weight so I put it on my shoulder.  This required far stricter technique,  meaning keeping my body upright and not leaning at all. The fact that this modification works was shown to me when my left side gave out during the 3rd set.  I think I'll make this a thing so I can focus all my forearm strength for the pull ups and dead lifting.

Thursday 17 Oct 2013

Moving a bunch of heavy ass shutters for several hours.  Considering my workout from the day before this shit sucked so much.

Friday
The day before ended up not being a rest day and I was far too sore to do anything this day or any other until monday

Monday 21 Oct 2013
chest flies 20lbs 10,12,12,12
ab ball crunches 20,20,20
leg lifts 20
stair climbs & sprints 1 flights, 1, 2, 2 flights

Today (Tuesday) I moved a bunch of shutters again  I may be too sore for working out tomorrow. Those big ass boxes are around 80lbs
Good thing I've been working my traps or shit would be way harder.