Author Topic: Jay's Journal of what not to do (critiques and blatant mockery welcome)  (Read 47029 times)

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Jay's Journal of what not to do (critiques and blatant mockery welcome)
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
I need to go to the chiropractor again.

My shoulder is getting stronger and more flexible than it's been in a while it still hurts to do anything with it.

I doubt I can do a clean & press of any real weight with the shoulder how it is.

I don't think I'll do well in any pt category this time around.  I need to train more.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
First time I've felt able to PT after a day of roofing.  Ya me, progress!

Unfortunately I didn't do much before muscle failure and cardio fatigue set in.

I did 100 jumping jacks
50 consecutive jump ropes (with a few low number restarts)
3 sets of 4 shrimps and whatever the other one is called.
20 some pushups
20some situps
10 lunges& back lunges so 20 total i guess?  I don't remember.

a short rest followed by:
100 gruelingly painful jumping jacks
5 sets of shrimps
50 consecutive jumping jacks with many resets that pissed me off.  At least I didn't get into the 40's before restarting.  All told over 100 jumping jacks this set.
a set of Johnson 40, with the diamonds and wide grip on my knees.
like 19 ab ball situps
20some hindu squats.

this workout seemed way more impressive in my head.  oh well, I'm surprised I could actually manage any pushups.  At least plenty of sweat today will be soaking into the new mats. I discovered I don't like new mats.  They lack that stains and smell of sweat, blood and tears.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
I forgot to mention I'm postponing my PT test till next friday.  I definitely need to go to the chiropractor before doing the test and the next possible time I can is this friday.

While stretching my right shoulder last week I tweaked it.  Though It's still fully work functional I can't stretch it properly.  Meaning one more part of the PT test I can't do until it's fixed. That and it'll probably get worse until it's fixed.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
went to the doc. got my shit sorted better.  I haven't tested just how functional my shoulders are yet.

Unfortunately while sparing last night I jacked up my left knee again.

yep.

I need robot legs.

At this point I'd say the pt test is canceled.  HOpefully I'll be ready for the one in march.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »
    Apparently I just hurt the Meniscus cartilage in my knee.  I think the tons of stretching and strength training I've been doing to my legs saved me from a more serious injury.
    I've been icing it a lot and popping ibuprofen like candy.  Unfortunately it's still quite swollen.
I can almost walk normal again.  I can't put much weight on it like going up stairs.  With the swollen bits it can also be a hassle putting on socks and what not.
   I'm optimistic that the swelling will be gone by the end of the week.  I took a long ass shower today and noticed that helped a bit.  I think I'll  go back and forth between ice and heat.

I got sick of not working out today.  I did around 5 sets of 20 of the gripper...these http://compare.ebay.com/like/310232115644?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
weird that when i search for a picture ebay pops up. eh whatever.

I did 4 sets of 25 pushups on my knees.  I put a big ass cushion my knee, there was no strain luckily.
Last I did 4 sets of 25 ab ball curl ups.  I would strain my knee if I wasn't being careful doing these.  Nothing serious, I'm no worse off having done them.
    I've been going bat shit crazy with energy, not having exercised since like Thorsday.

I've noticed the last few days my neck is getting weak.  I'll hit that up tomorrow. My shoulders still don't feel 100%.  Doing 100 pushups probably didn't help matters.  I'll do some diagnostic stretches and exercises to see where they're at for sure.

Well at least this crap gets me out of running for a while. Speaking of which.  I'm trying to sell my shoes that don't fit right.  brand freaking new.  Here's a link if anyone is interested in buying them. 
http://wichita.craigslist.org/spo/3210679130.html

They are impressively light.  they're just too narrow for me.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
another hundred pushups (on my knees like a bitch) and situps.  I tried doing hindu pushups but it was too much.

I almost have full range of motion again.  I'm still a little bit swollen.  I can't keep it bent past 90 deg for more than a moment.

I can almost walk normal again.  I just have to be mindful about not twisting.  Have an easier time going up the stairs but still can't go a whole flight without the rail.

At least I'm over my depression over the injury.

Offline Max G

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
Excellent! Sounds like you're on your way, again. Keep trucking and listening to your body, Jay!

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
Thanks for the support max.  Once in a while I try to keep up with you but you're miles ahead of me physically.

Knee is continuing to improve.  I don't have full motion but i can bend it back past 120 deg no problem.  Going up stairs is almost normal again.  Going down is still the problem.  Hopefully by Monday it won't be an issue.

I've cut down on the Ibuprofen as the swelling has been decreasing.  The amount I was popping in the beginning couldn't have been good.

With the lack of mobility I've tried cutting down on the calories.  I'm successful except when I go to my mothers.  Damn her delicious pie.

I mixed up the workout today.  Minimizing movement I can support weights again.

4 sets total

bent over row  35lb 12 reps 14 reps on last set
Pull over  20lb 12 reps 14 reps on last set
Upright row (switched between 35 and 20lb)  12 reps 14 reps on last set
2 sets ab roller 12 reps
ab ball crunches 2 sets  20,35 reps
ab vacuum 30 seconds

My right shoulder is fine again, probably has been for a while.  I figure I was right with my assumption that it was just a pinched something or other.

I still don't have full mobility with my left arm.  I can do everything fine in it's every day range of motion though.

Too many injuries...need robot limbs.

But on the bright side having ignored cardio and leg workouts for over a week my abs are the strongest they've been in almost a year.  To get this much improvement it's obvious I haven't given them the attention they need.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
I did stuff today

dead lift combined with clean and press 4x10 @ 60lbs
ab ball crunches 4x20
calf raises 4x25 @ bw
ab vacuum 4x20sec

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
Got weighed today, don't remember the amount but it is less than less time.
Lets hope it's fat and not muscle.

my knee kinda seems plateaued.  I should ice it more or something.  I'm trying to use it normally now but going down stairs is still awkward. Still seems to be a bit of excess movement in the joint.  gah.  this is depressing.

I think i'm going to do pyramids for tomorrows workout.  I might see how well my leg does with a few squats.
Pushup/situp pyramids going from 14 down.   It's going to suck ass. 105 total reps each.

I also decided to implement a new strategy of doing 100 reps of something before eating.  One of the few exceptions is workday lunch breaks. 

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »
Tried doing a shoulder & arms workout monday.
In the beginning of the 2nd set my hurt shoulder decided to gas out and cramp up.  I put down the weights, stretched it out and called it a day.  I think it's slightly dislocated or something.  it seems to be too far into the socket.

Today Thorsday Oct 4th.
My knee is still kinda plateaued.  I can function mostly normal but I still have to be careful with it.  I bounded up some stairs at work today and it felt like it almost gave out.  That would have sucked.  I have to be more mindful still.

Other than that it seems I can do most leg stretches and squats and calf raises just fine again.  Next week I'll try hamstring curls and lunges.

Today I did calisthenics, just 2 sets of 40.

Johnson 40
sit ups
bw hindu and regular squats.

Really need to lose weight...
Except for this weekend I've been pretty good.  Been only eating between 1300-1600 cal. 
I'll probably be busy and hung over until next week sometime to weight myself.  Hopefully I'm making progress and not just losing muscle.  Though I shouldn't be  my quads felt just as strong as before the accident, though less muscle endurance.  I think that has to do more with just being stiff and injured still.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:41:44 PM by jay_22_15 »

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2012, 07:04:07 AM »
Now I remember why people have gym memberships, this cold sucks.

Today's workout was delightful.  I got a headache, yay me for pushing through that shit (and the cold).

I did some basic yoga in the beginning and end.

5 sets 20lbs of 10 bent over rows with arm extension i guess it's called.  No.. that's not it.  At the end of the normal lift I keep lifting my elbow and hand until my body is slightly twisted and my arm and weight is extended above my body. along the same line as the first part of the lift.  well close to the same line.

5 sets of 20 situps

5 sets of ladder jump rope. starting at 50 ending at 70.

My knee still feels off.  It's also still not easy to fully bend the knee.  Pretty sure the cold weather is not helping.

Feels like I've done nothing but bitch in this post.  I did take a bath yesterday for the first time in 7 months.  yay.  End on a high note.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:35 AM »
Later this week or next week I'm going to hit the weights hard.  I really need to up my strength and endurance when it comes to moving shit around me, rather than moving myself around stuff.
I want to especially work on lifting and pushing exercises.  This hopefully will make work way easier.

I still want to work on calisthenics once a week though.  I need to be sure I'll be ready for that portion of the PT test in March.  Hopefully I can find a cheap rocky gym and join them this winter.  working out in the garage is only going to get harder.  A pool or elliptical is preferable to running at this stage. 

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »
Wednesday
Between thinking this morning's workout was too easy and a choclate binge I decided to workout again.

Knocked out only 3 sets before my body said "QUIT IT!".

Dumbbell side bends 10 @ 35lbs
dead lift into clean n press 10 @ 70 lbs I guess.  I don't even know how much weight is on the bar...
side planks 10 for 30 seconds each.
hindu squats 10 BW.

I'd say today was a good core workout.  Only 195 ab 'reps' though; I really need to improve.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:38:21 AM by jay_22_15 »

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »
Saturday

It's been raining off and on since yesterday afternoon.  It's a great temperature and a nice level of humidity.  The level where you easily sweat but not so much that you overheat.

I just hit up some of my weak spots today

3 sets each.

neck exercises yes 20reps, no 10, idunno 10
popeyes 1 forward, 1 backward, the 3rd i unrolled until the weight touched the ground then rerolled backward.
knee lifts 10
jumping jacks 100

10 situps
10 side bends
1 30sec ab vacuum
10 twisting situps.  i can't think of the name. too tired to look it up.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Jay's Journal of what not to do (critiques and blatant mockery welcome)
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
Well my quads are as I mentioned perfectly fine.  Unfortunately it seems every other muscle in the leg decided to be weak and useless.  Maybe it's psychological, I don't get how a knee injury would so greatly weaken muscles.
I get how it feels that way in the beginning, when things are swollen and misaligned. 
An example of what I'm talking about is my hips.  I can't even do 100 jumping jacks without my hips gassing.  Before I could do hundreds of them.   My hamstrings are super weak too.  I did lunges today and felt no problems.  I think I'll start focusing on balancing the leg muscles.

did johnson 40
10 situps
10 twisting situps(really need to look up this one)
10 side bends
20sec ab vacuum.

10 lunges
10 squats
10 ab ball ham curls
10 knee lifts

50 jump rope

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2012, 07:31:29 AM »
Mon & Tues
half mile walk both days.  I think the walking and stretching has helped more than anything.
odd, last time walking didn't seem to help much.

Wednesday
Same workout as last post but two sets and minus the jump rope.  I also did a set of arm curls and extensions.
My triceps are definitely the weak point on my pushups.

My obliques have caught up so I'm going to change one of the two exercises for the plank.

Knee is still slowly getting better.  I still have a hard time doing leg swings but I can do a few kicks again.  Though most of the kicks are waist high or lower.

Tomorrow or Friday I think I'll work the back, forearms and neck.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2012, 07:16:48 AM »
Wednesday took a turn for the worse.  My computer started acting up (and still is)  So while it was running a scan I decided to go through a nature trail.  I injured my knee again.  f#cking hilarious right?

Got it looked at Thursday and now it's sat morning.  Still swollen, still can't be used for much.

I was able to bust out a workout today at least.
Saturday
Bench press (on an ab ball)  35lb db  5 sets 12,12,12,12,15 reps
Bent over row  35lb db  5x 12,12,12,12,15
Pull Over  20lb db  5x 12,12,12,12,20
Upright Row 60lb 5x 12,12,12,12,15
Dead Lift 60lb 2x 12,12
Situps 3x 15,15,20

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
Wednesday

Push up and Sit up ladder starting at 15.  Total of 120 reps each.
I need to put more attention on my abs, they're still a weak spot.

My vid card is failing so I may miss some updates here.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
Monday
I pushed a lawnmower tractor several blocks.  It was quite exhausting.  Clearly I'm too weak.

Tuesday
some jump roping.  don't remember how much
75 ab ball crunches
30+ curls
some knee exercises
30 shrugs with 35lb db

Thursday
2 sets of jump rope. 100, 75 reps
5 sets of pushups, situps and squats
pushups:  15, 20, 15, 15, 20ish   = 85ish
sit ups: 15, 20, 15, 15, no idea  = 90+ish maybe
squats:  15, 20, 15, 15, 40  = 105