Author Topic: Lower leg pain/hardness  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Lower leg pain/hardness
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Don't know if this is the right forum, but anyway.

Just looking for some advice. To make it short on my history for my injury:

-Around 1 year ago or even more I had extreme bad pains from training in my lower inner legs (running around all day, jumping, etc, a sport called parkour.)

I go the pains fast, and it got worse after a few hours I was out until I couldnít walk properly. Both legs were sore for around a week, one didnít heal.

After some weeks I tried to go train again, the pain came immediately again.

Red and hard spot on my lower inner right leg remains

Only thing doctors can give me since I am overseas and my insurance doesnít cover it was advice saying that I needed orthotics. Anti-Inflammatory tablets also do nothing.

I couldnít afford the hard type of orthotics, so I went to a place and got custom made ones that I could also use in sports.

Thing on my leg still didnít heal after 8 months, I was back in Australia and got x-rays, that showed nothing, waited some more weeks and did physio and the stretches he said (he also said that I should get harder orthotics since my feet over pronate pretty bad Ė canít afford them) then today a bone scan and that said my bones are also healthy.

The redness on it is gone(sometimes there..), but it when Iím sitting or laying down I can feel it and sometimes give me a SLIGHT pain (nothing that hurts too much..i just can feel it) and I can push more into my other leg and itís much softer than the hard area on my other leg.

Iím not sure if itís too serious or it will be always like that, but Iím scared to go out training (havenít in 10 months or so and it kills me).

I found about of a plan to get hard orthotics with my health cover and an assessment from a podiatrist, and I will now start using a heating agent (tiger balm) and massage the area.

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on with the f#cking thing? Is it really from my foot over-pronating?

I'v been reading around about fallen arches and so, and trying to correct it. I don't know what the hardness/slight pain is and how to get it away

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Lower leg pain/hardness
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:12:47 PM »

Offline Dr.M

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Global Fitness, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
There could be a variety of things wrong that can cause redness, pain, and hardness. The area that you are indicating is a classic area where "shin splints" can happen because of stress of some of the muscles that wrap under the arch. Its possible that the muscle was torn in the original incident and has since scarred down resulting in increased tissue density. There are other things as well, but it sounds soft tissue related and not bone. An ultrasound imaging of the area might give a better picture of the soft tissue. That or an MRI.

Couple of questions:

Any numbness or tingling?
Any fever?
Any swelling?
Any pain with stretching the calf muscles?
Dr.M
Global Fitness, LLC

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
Yea, I've had bone scans and x-rays and there are no signs of any damage to my bone.

I'm not sure if I've had a tingling or numbness feeling, just sometimes I can "feel" it.. it's not really painful, it's very slight, slight pain, just that I feel it, I don't know how to describe the feeling.

I've never had a fever.
I never noticed it swelling or getting bigger, it's stayed prety much the same for the whole year. Just hard kind of. Sometimes it's completely soft, then again hard.
I don't get pains stretching my calves.

My right hip hurts sometimes too randomly, and if I walk for ages that spot will hurt a bit more.

I can run a short distance and balance around without any pains.

My neighbor who is a doctor said it could be calcium build up and be forever like that, or scar tissue or whatever. I don't know but I'm scared to train, what should I be doing?

Offline Dr.M

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Global Fitness, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »
Medically I can't advise you on what you should be doing for training because I only have a fraction of the information that I would need from an exam.

If it was a calcium build up it would likely show up as an abnormality on X-ray and bone scan. If it is sometimes soft, then it could be more related to a muscular spasm or scar tissue. The muscle spasm could be caused by a variety of things and scar tissue would be something that could be worked on with manual therapy.

Your hip hurting could be related if there is a weakness of some of the specific muscles in the hip or a leg length discrepency (or a ton of other things that should be cleared). I would recommend going to a good PT or chiro for an evaluation. They would be able to perform an assessment and possibly give you a better idea of what is going on.

I would check out a very lengthly, but good EMI article for reference for lower body dysfunction http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/.
Dr.M
Global Fitness, LLC

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
I went to a PT, (physio ?)
He was a bit old, all he said to do was that i should get hard orthotics  and stretch my calves and some other small exercises. i think i'll search a younger guy who is more up to date and would anything like a deep tissue massage do good? in 2 weeks i have an appointment with a podiatry clinic, it's free because it's for uni students in training and under supervision from a fully qualified person. Maybe they can help me.

I read most of that article, I found it a few days ago. I'm doing all those things to see if it helps.

Offline Dr.M

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Global Fitness, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
If the problem is scar tissue, then its possible for massage or other types of manual therapy to help. Good luck and I hope it turns out ok. Feel free to message me if you have more questions after you see the podiatrist.
Dr.M
Global Fitness, LLC

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
Will applying a heating gel like tiger balm or something similar be bad?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
Tiger balm is not a heating gel/. It's a topical anesthetic.

In any case, it's likely you had some form of shin splints/stress fractures as well as possibly some bad plantaris or other tendons running through there tendonitis.

Too much, too fast.

Let yourself heal, soft tissue massage definitely is recommended, heat will probably help, etc.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
ops I got confused with the tiger balm, what is that useful for anyway?  I got a heating gel, though.

I've waited nearly a year and that hard weirdness is not gone, so it's just getting frustrating now.

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:58:03 AM »
I went to the podiatrist today. A lot of the things they told me conflict with the things I've read on IME. They said that I should get shoes that are stable and offer support, that don't twist, (but bend at the toe area). I mean, how the f#ck am I suppose to get strength back if I have things doing things for me?
They did some tests to see the angles and all that other stuff of bones from knee to ankle or whatever and it was all mostly normal.

When they observed me walking that's where the problems were..

They noticed I really have to fire up my ankle muscle and balance myself, that my ankles are weak.
I also asked if I can bring my arch up with consent exercises and strengthening, they don't seem like that's really possible? My bone hasn't deformed though it seams.

They also said that barefoot running isn't recommended lol?

I gotmy foot taped up, to see if it helps and that orthotics would help at all. I was told to go for a run each each or so for the next days and come back in. After my run today I had no pains in my shin splint area, just my calves are a bit sore because I haven't ran in ages. I was focusing on not heel-striking etc. My left one mostly, that wasn't taped.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I also asked if I can bring my arch up with consent exercises and strengthening, they don't seem like that's really possible? My bone hasn't deformed though it seams.

They also said that barefoot running isn't recommended lol?

Because they don't know anything about it.

Like I have said in previous threads... tape and orthotics don't fix the problem.

You have muscles that can be strengthen to do the work for you.

Strengthen them and work up SLOWLY to barefoot running or minimalist shoes

Offline Alpha Moth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
For minimalist shoes, how would Kalenjis be rated? I have a few of those.

a few of those as well.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
For shoes as long as they have the qualities of the study I listed in here (2/3-3/4 way down on the first page), they're fine IMO:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/