Author Topic: Body Weight vs Free Weights  (Read 12818 times)

Offline Tyler

• Guenons
  • KONG!
    • View Profile
Body Weight vs Free Weights
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
In the constant debate over lifting weights and using your own body as your gym many people are left puzzled by all the biased hoopla but i am here to try to help clear that all up.

When I workout ik that I like to use different techniques and styles to target different areas and muscles of the body, I call this selective targeting. If you know what muscles are involved in any movement you will better understand what is going on so you can target and isolate these muscles more efficiently. By doing this you will increase mass and strength as well as stamina and endurance (depending upon what rule of working out u use) in a better way thus speeding up your results. Many people just go into a workout not knowing what is going on and it shows. If you understand what is going on, you can help customize your workouts to fit you, and that is the key to getting the best results. I can tell you to do a bunch of different exercises and reps and sets that might have worked for me, but that doesn't mean it will work for you.

This is where everything else comes into play, what are your strengths? your weaknesses? What do you have available to you? A gym? A living room? the playground 3 blocks away? If you dont have a gym whats the point of a workout with weights? Or what if you only have weights and no other room to move around in with a short ceiling? Whats the point of plyometrics in that case? To me the answer is simple, take what you know about yourself and put it into your workouts? what do you want? a big chiseled chest? or a small but strong frame? A mix will give you both while one or the other might not offer what you want.

I suggest that if you have weights available to you, use them. They are a valuable training tool that willl boost your power and strength if used correctly, BUT they do have draw backs. Weights can over exert you causing your workouts to suffer so you have to be selective in your routine selection for what you want. While your body weight can give you amazing strength and flexibility, it WILL take longer to achieve the same strength as free weights but it is well worth it as free weights take away flexibility, especially in your shoulder area. I also suggest that your workouts have BOTH weighted and body weight only exercises to truly maximize your potential.
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
the valiant taste of death but once."

Offline Tyler

• Guenons
  • KONG!
    • View Profile
Re: Body Weight vs Free Weights
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »
This is my new workout for the next 2 weeks or so (I constantly change routines to keep my muscles "confused."

I am not sure if I will do this everyday or every other day, prob every other day though.

(warm up and stretch)

1) Military Push ups
2) Pistol Squats
3) Wide Grip Dead Hang Pull Ups
4) Handstand Push Ups
5) Leg Lunges
6) Split Squats*
7) Diamond Push Ups
8) Jumping Split Squats** (both sides)
9) Ab Roller
10) Bicycle Crunches
11) Oblique Hanging Knee Raises

* These Split Squats are shown on apk: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/4507/386/

** However these Jumping Split Squats are totally different and are a staggered stance jump squat that spins 180 degrees or 360 degrees
- Stand with feet in a staggered stance (left foot in front of right foot torso turned forward with knees slightly bent (reversed to target other leg))
- Squat down while remaining in this position as low as you can go (90 degrees is beneficial without causing damage to knees)
- EXPLODE upwards and push off with back foot to spin either 180 degrees or 360 degrees
- Land in the staggered stance reversed if spinning only 180 degrees; land with the same positioning id spinning 360 degrees
- Absorb shock with legs
- Repeat

This is a body weight only workout and can be done with or without additional weight depending upon the preference of the user.

Hope you enjoy and be sure to check back every 2 weeks or more for additional workouts and/or advice.

Please feel free to comment, suggest or ask a question about something.

Offline Tyler

• Guenons
  • KONG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
*****Correction*****

The " 8)" is supposed to be the number "8" with a closing parenthesis ")"

Offline Tyler

• Guenons
  • KONG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »
**Omit number 8 (will be used in the next workout)**

So today I completed this workout with confidence and was able to pace myself to complete it in about 40mins after warming up. It wasn't too hard of a workout, but definately left a burn in my legs, especially my hamstrings, which is exactly the reason why I designed this the way I did, to help strengthen my hip flexors and my hamstrings.

Anyway, if you try this let me know what you think of it

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
This thread is in the wrong forum.  Ask a mod to move it to training journals, I think you must not have realized it was in weights & measures.