Author Topic: Practice for my Cross Country trip  (Read 5901 times)

turtlekarma

Practice for my Cross Country trip
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
Hey guys, I had posted a while ago about my cross country trip I'll be taking starting in may 2010.  If you don't already know one of the reasons why I'm doing this trip is to make a unofficial qualitative documentary on pk community development, life styles of traceurs/ses, and to look at controversies in pk.  I'll basically be hopping from one community to the next trying to track down and talk with as many traceurs as i can and observe them, talk story with them, and eventually interview some.  To prepare for this trip, besides planning and contacting various communities across the nation I want to try doing a documentary on HI traceurs/ses and HIPK's development for practice.  I want to streamline this process so that it will take me the shortest amount of time possible to get all the information I want/have enough time talk to "right" people.

I have a rough draft for what questions I want to tackle, operational definitions that will help guide me, but I need to develop a efficient procedure that I can utilize for data collection in other pk communities.  I acknowledge that I might have to go about data collection differently for some communities, but I'd like a template that I can build off of for communities that require a unique approach to data collection.  So I'd like to use HIPK as my guinea pig to see what works and what doesn't.  I have a couple of steps I will go through to developing my data collection template.

First Step

I will be for the next jam or two practice taking field notes, sometimes hand written...others with video camera or even just taking pics.  I won't use anyone's real name or image unless I get consent from you personally.  So if you see my hanging back not saying much just scribbling in my note book try to just ignore me and do whatever you want. 

Second Step

I want to interview a couple of people in-order to get details on training, who you are outside of PK, and commentary on some controversies in PK.  Not sure if I just want to interview or actually shadow people for a day or two.  I want to talk with a variety of people so I can compare lifestyles across age groups, sex, pk experience, ethnicity, and what ever else seems like it could be relevant. 

Third Step
Track down and talk with the founding people of HIPK and some of you guys who were here in HIPK's very early stages.

Fourth Step

Edit it all together and post it up here and see what you guys think about it. 

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
Re: Practice for my Cross Country trip
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »
Silly Ji..like I said, it really helps to be honest with the folks.

And Ryan, that's an awesome idea!!! I would be glad to help. Just ask, and it is done. ^.^
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
Lol, so I see you have very subtlety started with me huh?  ;D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:52:11 AM »
Lol, so I see you have very subtlety started with me huh?  ;D

haha yeah thanks for always being willing to answer my questions

Nos0323

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 04:23:54 AM »
hey but ill still answer ur questions  ^^  but no pics or whatever since i cant meet you guys for some time...and you should ask me questions since im a noob and a female (you said there are like almost no traceurese in hawaii) and im very young  xD

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
haha sounds like a cool idea man. ill help out if u still need ppl to join ^^
not that gr8 tho jst a heads up ><
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:03:35 PM »
ive had this idea lingering in the back of my head for a few months.
im here to help out if you need it man

in regards to Step3 im your man! I was apart of Hipk from nearly the begining
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:33:33 AM by Sala »
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

turtlekarma

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »
thanks guys...I'm probably gonna talk to all of you at some point.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
Give you something to do now you inactive. I pray you heal up fast, yeah?

Start with Ozzi. Don't be subtle. If you want to interview people, you gotta be nice, but go and talk to them. If you sit in background with clipboard, they just get curious or suspicious, and that doesn't help. Get your first impression down quick, then go right to the interview. You can always drop back to the sidelines to document/ overview later.

Then there's other people who aren't active on HIpk forums any more... Don't be afraid to long distance interview AdamMc [in PA], or try track down some of the other early members of UCC [Pete/Richard, Jason [in Guam?], Keith, blablabla...]

Too bad HawaiiParkour.com turned into a spam site. You'll just have to grill Ozzi on that stuff.

I think I typed this all to you before. Deja vu - there's something wrong with the matrix ;D

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
Nice!!! lol! One thing I can add, to avoid seeming intrusive or creepy..join in on the fun!!! Train with the groups n between taking notes and get your interviews in during the down time.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »
Buy a gray van with no windows, find out where they all live, look thru their windows with a bennie and sunglasses. When they see you, scream and run away like it was their fault.

It is time to see how traceurs really live their live...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:48:12 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »
Ok, Ozzi - take it to Crazy Talk...  ;D  Scary...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
Ryan - check out "The Back of the Napkin" - the new 2010 version. It's got some ideas I think will help you filter, think about and display your data. It should also speed up data gathering, etc. I blasted thru the book in about an hour, and grabbed the main points. The website for the book is NOT helpful if you haven't read the book. [My opinion]

If you want a summary, I think I can get you the main points pretty easily. Let me know.

turtlekarma

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »
Give you something to do now you inactive. I pray you heal up fast, yeah?

Start with Ozzi. Don't be subtle. If you want to interview people, you gotta be nice, but go and talk to them. If you sit in background with clipboard, they just get curious or suspicious, and that doesn't help. Get your first impression down quick, then go right to the interview. You can always drop back to the sidelines to document/ overview later.

Then there's other people who aren't active on HIpk forums any more... Don't be afraid to long distance interview AdamMc [in PA], or try track down some of the other early members of UCC [Pete/Richard, Jason [in Guam?], Keith, blablabla...]

Too bad HawaiiParkour.com turned into a spam site. You'll just have to grill Ozzi on that stuff.

I think I typed this all to you before. Deja vu - there's something wrong with the matrix ;D

thanks for the idea's...i'm currently working with one of my professors to revise what and how i'm asking question...i'll post really soon with an update.  as a side note gregg would you be willing to help me out with the MN side of pk?  i'm thinking of focusing on what binds us as a community, and how different philosophies can coexist/ or maybe how they can't. 

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »
Yeah... the info you get depends on the questions you ask.

I'm trying to help [Crazy Talk, "Napkin", history suggestions]. I'll try to answer about MN... talk to Pilou, too. We've read the books. It's a blur to me, but that's not always a bad thing. I can always look at the translations and pick at details later.

I'll think about what binds us as a community. I have my ideas...
Different philosophies... Yeah, that'll be fun to tackle.

Throw anything my way that you want. If I don't know the answer, I may be able to come up with a cartoon, sketch, haiku or metaphor that will do until you can find something better.

turtlekarma

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 01:35:31 AM »
Yeah... the info you get depends on the questions you ask.

I'm trying to help [Crazy Talk, "Napkin", history suggestions]. I'll try to answer about MN... talk to Pilou, too. We've read the books. It's a blur to me, but that's not always a bad thing. I can always look at the translations and pick at details later.

I'll think about what binds us as a community. I have my ideas...
Different philosophies... Yeah, that'll be fun to tackle.

Throw anything my way that you want. If I don't know the answer, I may be able to come up with a cartoon, sketch, haiku or metaphor that will do until you can find something better.

thanks gregg i'll be following up with you real soon

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »
Buy a gray van with no windows, find out where they all live, look thru their windows with a bennie and sunglasses. When they see you, scream and run away like it was their fault.

It is time to see how traceurs really live their live...

omg...sounds like something I would do..

turtlekarma

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 02:29:48 PM »
i'm interviewing stacie this sunday, and ozzi next week...i forgot to mention, i would like to do multiple interviews/talk story sessions with whoever i'm interviewing cause there's no way i can get the kind of details i want from talking to anyone once. 

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
Use HIpk to streamline your process. Multiple interviews from a scene with 2-3 leaders and 50+ active traceurs will seriously chew up your time, and theirs.

Metaphor from old time role playing games:
D&D took an hour or so to make up your character, just the basics and equip him. It was a drag. Then you had to decide on appearance, personality, etc. Then you'd play for a couple hours, and your character would die.

Teenagers From Outer Space took a couple minutes to decide whether you wanted to be human, or alien [A walking fire hydrant? Sure, no problem!] 6 quick rolls for your stats [strong, dumb, a little homely], a couple quick rolls for your powers [ooh! breathes fire?], some skills [sneak +2, vault stuff +1]. Choose 3 traits to describe your character's personality/ general actions [sneaky, likes to scare dogs, very nearsighted] Spend a little allowance [sunglasses, breath spray, an mp3 player...] and you were ready to play. Then you had time to embellish, if you wanted...

Sure it's a cartoon, but you got more useful information in 1/6 the time, had fun doing it, and had way more time to actually PLAY. And I could get GIRLS to play it, not just nerd girls. Bonus ;D

turtlekarma

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
Use HIpk to streamline your process. Multiple interviews from a scene with 2-3 leaders and 50+ active traceurs will seriously chew up your time, and theirs.

Metaphor from old time role playing games:
D&D took an hour or so to make up your character, just the basics and equip him. It was a drag. Then you had to decide on appearance, personality, etc. Then you'd play for a couple hours, and your character would die.

Teenagers From Outer Space took a couple minutes to decide whether you wanted to be human, or alien [A walking fire hydrant? Sure, no problem!] 6 quick rolls for your stats [strong, dumb, a little homely], a couple quick rolls for your powers [ooh! breathes fire?], some skills [sneak +2, vault stuff +1]. Choose 3 traits to describe your character's personality/ general actions [sneaky, likes to scare dogs, very nearsighted] Spend a little allowance [sunglasses, breath spray, an mp3 player...] and you were ready to play. Then you had time to embellish, if you wanted...

Sure it's a cartoon, but you got more useful information in 1/6 the time, had fun doing it, and had way more time to actually PLAY. And I could get GIRLS to play it, not just nerd girls. Bonus ;D

yeah good point...i'm thinking about shadowing (follow around for a day) alongside an interview or two.  you're right though, i cant get everyone multiple times and stay within a 2 week time frame per community.  That's why I'm either going to .....

1.  pick 3-4 consistent members of community (depending on size) to comment on other parts of it that I don't have time to talk to. 
2.  Talk to as many people as possible a single time and hopefully patterns will arise that i can make inferences on

The reason why I'm not asking questions online is because qualitative research methods litterateur says I have a better chance of people being honest with me if I do it in person, plus people are usually more willing to share if I'm an actual person to them rather then some random entity from the internet.  You gregg however are an exception, I would be willing to talk with you because we've built a "relationship" online...and you don't really have anything to gain by painting yourself in too good of a picture, cause you've already shared so much about yourself it wouldn't add up if you said something too good to be true about yourself.   

You bring up a topic that's been worrying me however...Time, what if the community I'm observing doesn't have enough time to talk to me?  My funds aren't unlimited and I don't want to a inconsiderate guest, but I do have to get stuff done in a timely manner.  It's starting to make me thing a country wide tour isn't thesible if I actually want to do a good job.  what do I do if I can't meet the people I want to talk with in the time I have allotted to stay in the community?  idk....maybe it's better to do this in sections.  Maybe 3-4 states at a time, idk i'll have to rethink this whole process.