Author Topic: Portable Parkour Park (please post your creative ideas)  (Read 33253 times)

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
Portable Parkour Park (please post your creative ideas)
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
This is a thread designed to explore the different options and get some creative ideas about building advanced obstacles and even setting up entire park/courses.

Things that are welcome:

- Any creative ideas about the possibilities of built obstacles.   
- Thoughts from people about how to build obstacles.
- Ideas about materials
- Creative ideas about course designs (size, location etc.)
- Questions from people/teams interested in building their own obstacles or courses 

Things that are not welcome include:

-Arguing whether or not Parkour parks or built obstacles are good or bad.
-Discussions about the definition of Parkour and if using these type of obstacles "counts" as parkour

These discussions have been had in other threads. If you have ideas about these topics I would appreciate it if you could post your thoughts on those threads.   
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Harry Smith

• What's up Andrew?
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Portable Parkour Park (please post your creative ideas)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
I had an idea about making a design that Fits together to make a huge cube. If i can i will show you a thing similar to it.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
Home-Made Disassemble-able Parkour Obstacles/Course
http://www.sfparkour.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
Yeah! great ideas there.

I can't wait to come through and jam with you guys! I'll be through maybe in like three months. your park is gonna be epic!

Some of what I am thinking about is if there is any people that have experience building things and could competently design something that a group could get materials and build for themselves.

This looked really cool to me but is all concrete and very large! 

http://www.sib.kk.dk/Faelles/aviser/avis68/ny%20parkour%20park%20i%20danmark.jpg 

I was thinking of pieces that are based on this idea. They could be made out of wood and other lighter materials that would fit onto a trailer or in a truck or U-Haul.

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
Yeah! great ideas there.

I can't wait to come through and jam with you guys! I'll be through maybe in like three months. your park is gonna be epic!

Some of what I am thinking about is if there is any people that have experience building things and could competently design something that a group could get materials and build for themselves.

This looked really cool to me but is all concrete and very large! 

http://www.sib.kk.dk/Faelles/aviser/avis68/ny%20parkour%20park%20i%20danmark.jpg 

I was thinking of pieces that are based on this idea. They could be made out of wood and other lighter materials that would fit onto a trailer or in a truck or U-Haul.

That looks sweet, but how much would something like that cost to build?
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
I just had an idea for an "instant park"

The base would be basically a beefed up sawhorse 4' high with folding legs that would be staked to the ground. The top of the base would be square beam with holes in it for mounting different top peaces, such as rails and walls of varying height. A series of these could be tied together using rails or boards with a latching system to create enough obstacles for a whole park. It would take only a few minutes to take them up or down, and it all fit in the back of a full sized pickup or a U-haul trailer.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
That looks sweet, but how much would something like that cost to build?

I was just saying to base ideas off of that design.

I just had an idea for an "instant park"

The base would be basically a beefed up sawhorse 4' high with folding legs that would be staked to the ground. The top of the base would be square beam with holes in it for mounting different top peaces, such as rails and walls of varying height. A series of these could be tied together using rails or boards with a latching system to create enough obstacles for a whole park. It would take only a few minutes to take them up or down, and it all fit in the back of a full sized pickup or a U-haul trailer.

This sounds promising!!

I can see it in my head but I am wondering how the stability would be. I think once someone starts playing around with building it they would be able to sure it up.

Some drawings would help with picturing it. I don't know if you would be down to post some?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:23:14 PM by jp2ykz »

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »
I bet if you had the Boy Scouts come out and volunteer that shit would be tight. Haha 
Eagle scouts would do a better job XP i have a bunch of friends who are Eagle Scouts and they're very resourceful. XD
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
That was a joke.. :-X

You caught that fast, damm..

I thought he said to lash the pieces together but on second reading that's not what he was saying. I didn't see it at the bottom of my post and I forgot to preview and delete it. haha

But now that it's out there if groups were setting up an event I bet the Boy Scouts would help seriously..

Plus you could scout some new talent. pardon the pun.   

The idea got me thinking about lashing though. I don't know if it would work and I couldn't find any good info on it but a possibly cheaper alternative to scaffolding would be bamboo scaffolding.

Hard to find good pics but here is one.

http://www.amethyst.co.za/JonesFamily/Dec2007/BambooScaffolding.jpg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:04:54 PM by jp2ykz »

Offline Alex frogger Brown

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »
some of the guys from my crew have a structure they built for a performance, but it could be used to train on a bit too. I'll post pix later once i get out of school(most everything is blocked :P)
*PMPA*
"And traceurs we shall be family, for motion sets us free. Power descendeth forth from our hands, as our feet carry us swiftly across the land. May our flow be like water to thee, and in play shall we forever be. In nomine Belle, et Yamakasi, et Spiritu APK. Amen."

Offline Scrag

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
me and my dad built a couple of balance beams out of 2x4's. they are great for precision jumps back and forth, vaulting over, balance in general, and anything else a creative traceur's mind can dream up.

it wasnt that hard, the 2x4's are good width to balance on already, just build supports on each end, and in the middle to reduce sagging and possibly breaking the beam, dont make it too long that its weak, we made a "T" shape putting one board sideways underneath the board with a wider edge facing up.

them we put legs on the end supports like and upside down "T" so it doesnt just tip over when you jump on it going sideways.

the only issues with it are rain causes slight warping and twisting in the wood, and if you dont have a flat surface it might rock a little bit side to side. because i suggest putting it on the lawn in your back or front yard. ive fallen off enough times (only from 2-4 feet up) and been very glad im not falling o0n my cement driveway =X

hope this is helpful!
,Scrag

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »
Eagle scouts would do a better job XP i have a bunch of friends who are Eagle Scouts and they're very resourceful. XD

Eagle Scout signing in here!  ;D  8)
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Alex frogger Brown

• Patas
    • View Profile
*PMPA*
"And traceurs we shall be family, for motion sets us free. Power descendeth forth from our hands, as our feet carry us swiftly across the land. May our flow be like water to thee, and in play shall we forever be. In nomine Belle, et Yamakasi, et Spiritu APK. Amen."

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
I got a Facebook error when I tried to go to that link. It said:

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

???

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
Come on...

No one has any creative ideas???

Have any of you built something or are planning to??

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Personally, I don't think anyone should discount using things like garbage cans and recycling bins for practice. One thing I haven't tried though is to get a pole and fasten it at both ends to strong, upside-down garbage cans with screws and some metal fixtures.

Looking at the concrete structure though one of the previous posts makes me think about the climbing aspects of practice, and is a little more challenging to make portable without losing stability. It would be pretty cool if one made a fold-able wall out of metal, similar I guess to a dining table, but upright... and welded of course. There would be a couple of folding joints in the middle and the "leaves" of the wall could be removed to make handling it a bit easier.

I keep trying to think along the lines for "If this was made like a camping tent, how would it work, and would it be strong enough?" Making things both portable AND climbable seems to be an issue.
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Joshua Pagan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
does anyone have any ideas on how to make something to practice rings on? no tricks or anything, just like workout stuff...  :)
If your afraid to fall, you fall because your afraid
- Daniel Illabaca

Offline Roan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
I don't know if it helps too much with this idea, but I'm currently in the process of building a stand-alone pull-up bar. The bar itself sits about 7 feet off the ground, and is constructed with angled planks for all axes of support. Since it is being constructed for transfer to my room, it is designed to be portable and with a small footprint (about 4'x4') and is easy to disassemble and reassemble due to the use of screw-in black iron piping.

This might help for work with rings, pull-ups, kips, and muscle-ups. The costs so far seem to be somewhere around $75-80 for the entire assembly. I can post pictures when done, if anyone is interested. After this project, I'm also considering building a telescoping vault utility - a single hurdle-like device that can support all movement axes and a decent amount of weight while allowing the user to set the distance off the ground to their liking :)

Offline Joshua Pagan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
dude yes please put up pics and instructions of it when finished, this might be exactly what im looking for... :D thanks, and same with the portable vaulting thing ;D
If your afraid to fall, you fall because your afraid
- Daniel Illabaca

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
Yeah that stuff sounds bad ass and it looks like you know what you were doing

For vaulting stuff you just made me think of using saw horses (I think that's what they are called). You can probably get a couple at a construction sight or free wood place or even get the brackets and build one from home depot cheep. I wonder If we could get Home depot to sponsor us?? They sponsor the Olympics right? why cant we get in on that  :D

Any how you could just take two of them nail some 2x4's between them and put ply wood over it.

I think they have different sizes but it wouldn't be that hard to raise them up by jimmy rigging some blocks to the bottom.  :-\